DnD5e Ptolus: City By The Spire And The Curse of The Dying - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 08:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12448
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Application Format
right-aligned image

Name: Aiobha, aka ‘The Pale Lady’
Gender Identity: F
Race: Reborn Tiefling (Von Richten’s guide to Ravenloft)
Class: Warlock (Fathomless) (Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything)
Description:
As this petite, young Tiefling makes her way through the crowd, her silver white hair concealed most of her face, only a pair a black, ridged curled horns piercing their surface. When she pushed it back behind her ear, a pale, beautiful face appeared. However the attention to of onlookers would be torn towards the simmering monocolored mercury orbs that were her eyes and the alabaster scar tissue that covered the left side of her throat. A wet sheen covered her skin and the Tiefling was surrounded by a fresh sea scent that deepened and intermingled with ozone as the anger at not being able to remember anything but flashes from her life before death rose to the surface. It reminded sailors of the smell of a deep sea cyclone.

From time to time Aiobha would stand still for a few moments as flashes of random memories traversed her mind. These could be vivid images, feelings of being handled roughly, snatches of conversations that died away when she tried to focus on them. Frustrated she continued her path, trying to keep an eye on the people that surrounded her. She had never liked masses. Before you knew it, the mood would change and often that would bring murder and mayhem for lone Tieflings. Where did that come from? Aiobha stumbled, but quickly regained her balance. It would not do to show weakness. It would only invite others in, be they benevolent or malevolent. For her it made no difference, she always ended up hurt in the end, physically or emotionally when she had finally opened her heart. The Tiefling was not sure which pain was greater. Strange that the memory of pain lingered harder than the memory of its cause.No, it was much better to keep others at a distance. When she walked on, Aiobha clutched the purse on her belt with her left hand, crumpling the papers inside. She had to pay of a debt so she could get free of her new master. Only then could she move on in the hope of finding a place where she would be welcome, a place she could call home.
All she needed to do was surviving this ordeal. Aiobha chuckled "Not that I’ve been very good at that apparently." She muttered as she looked at her now white skin.

Character Background:

Stories had reached Paelinth by now. Stories about sickness, Squid-faced abominations eating other people alive and in rare cases the mercy of death. The atmosphere in the city was reaching feverish heights with the nobles and nouveaux riches loading their possessions on boats or buying passage for extreme payments. But then again, what good are platinum or gold when your brains are being devoured are alien octopi? And the rest? The plebs drummed in masses in the harbour trying to get passage any which way they could. Some tried to build rafts only to be pummelled into bloody masses by others seizing their pontoons and racing towards the sea, only to be swallowed by the waves. ‘Feeding the Kraken’ as the Paelinthian sailors are wont to say.

As the day passed desperation and bleakness started to settle in. Light dimmed and people started to look for safe sleeping hide-outs. So did Aiobha even though she was too tired to sleep, yet everywhere she went the tiefling was met with distrust. Even in these times people can’t set aside their prejudices. The tiefling thought as she swept a stray auburn strand back behind a horn. Her wanderings had brought her back towards the dock where gaggles of ruffians meandered about aimlessly, strutting about like a wary, aggressive peacock when meeting another one of their ilk. Aiobha saw a ragtag group getting ticked on the snout like a bad puppy by what could only be a cadre of former soldiers considering their discipline and coordinated way of fighting. Yet she did not enjoy the benefit of a group of friends willing to protect her. Never had and probably never will. So she had learned to do what was necessary to survive. And in this case, it meant getting the hell out of there before they spotted her.

Too late.

”Look. There.” One of the lowlives pointed. ”Demon spawn.” His companions turned around to spot Aiobha running away, her red hair fluttering in her wake. Off course, this spurred them into a burst of action. Nothing gets the fluids going better than carnal activity followed by some pummelling or vice versa. ”****.” The tiefling growled as she tried to gain some distance. The beach. I have to get to the beach. She had always been drawn to the water, its dichotomy of storm and stillness, its depths. Aiobha kept pushing herself to swim further and further off shore, a tiny sliver of despair echoing in her mind Maybe this time I won’t make it back. Yet she always had, her will to live overpowering the urge to just let go. She would be able to outswim her pursuers if only she could make it into the water first.

"Gotcha!"

An Half-orc had jumped forward on her legs and brought Aiobha down, the water tantalisingly close. Almost. Inwardly she sighed, outwardly she fought like a hellcat resisting her assailant on every step. As he turned her on her back she gauged his arms with her nails and gave him a headbutt that left the Half-orc with a smashed and bleeding nose and Aibho with a spinning head. Once the ruffian recovered and angered by her resistance and the derisive sneer of his fellow scum he smacked her hard leaving the Tiefling seeing stars. "No, no, no. " She snarled. "Leave me alone."

"Ooh, this one got some fire in her belly." One of the bystanders leered. "Smack it out of her." And so her attacker complied, hitting her again and again till her face was a quilt of welts and bruises, blood trickling from her left ear. "And now for some fun." He ripped off her clothes and undid the strings on his the crotch of his pants."Help me." Aiobha croaked almost devoid of hope, one arm outstretched towards the water, not expecting anyone to answer.

Yet something did. As flood washed over her arm, a voice resounded in the Tiefling’s head. "Serve me and I will save you." With the words an image emerged in her mind. She envisioned the cold, oppressing darkness of the depths, unfolding puckered coils and a gigantic eye staring at her. What choice did she have, really? "I will." Aiobha muttered, drawing a strange look from the Half-orc who was still struggling with his pants."Done and done. You are mine now."

Power as vast as the ocean flooded her body and stilled her fears. She gave the man on top of her a withering look "Get off me!" and unleashed a bit of the potential inside of her. A tentacle, much like the ones she had seen in her vision, arose from the sand and picked up the Half-orc and squeezed. Aiobha could hear the bones of his pelvis shattering before the tentacle lobbed him away.

He was the first to die. The thugs’ attention was completely absorbed by the spectacle of their leader trying to get his way with the Hellspawn and the tentacle action was also rather distracting. Nobody had noticed a swarm of the Dying ascending on them. There was a lot of screaming and blood and death before the squidfaces converged on Aiobha who stood swaying on her feet from exhaustion trusting on her tentacle to keep the … things from her. But there is only so much a single appendage can do.

Still, it bought Aiobhai some time, allowing her to limp further into the water so that when they fell upon the Tiefling, her ravaged body drifted off farther with the undertow. She clutched the wound on the left side of her throat, the blood gushing between her fingers. As the last of Aiobha’s consciousness faded, her body finally sank down into the abyss amidst a bloody shroud.

"Not yet."

"There is still work to do."

Days later, Aiobha resurfaced from the water a few miles south of Ptolus. Swifter than was possible before she swam towards the shore. As she emerged on the beach, water seemed to cling to her as a silvery sheen on her pale, bloodless skin. Her wounds had been closed over with alabaster scar tissue. Her clothes dripping, Aiobha remained in place for a few moments as if listening to voices only she could hear, before turning north till she almost looked straight in the direction of the Spire. Giving in to a subconscious drive she headed toward the unseen megalith. The Tiefling knew something important was hidden there, but she was uncertain if it was important for her or her master.

It took her less time than anticipated to reach Ptolus. Apparently being reborn had some advantages - if only she could remember anything else besides sinking into the cold embrace of the Depths. Shuddering Aiobha refocused on the present, not that is was very appealing. Huddled masses trudging through mud in a perpetual drizzle that chilled to the bone. The smell of unwashed bodies intermingled with wafts of urine, faeces and fear. Yet she had a feeling that this was where she was supposed to be.

"Get into the city." The voice of her master sent chills down her spine - something the cold did not succeed in. Aibho set one foot in front of the other and made her way through the crowd. It did help that people that saw her - really saw her - involuntary took a step back, creating a temporary zone of free passage as it were.

Background Archetype: Haunted One (Von Richten’s guide to Ravenloft)

Personality Traits Suspicious, doesn’t trust others easily. Distracted by flashes of memories.
Ideal: I will survive and find a home for myself.
Bond:Finding out about her pre-death life. What am I?
Flaw: It’s hard to let others in. She does not know the details, but involving others usually gets her hurt one way or the other.

Last edited by Battlechaser; Feb 3rd, 2022 at 03:58 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 09:02 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13574
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
@Gath - Iokua's BG Archetype is indeed Hermit.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 03:03 PM
Man of Many Faces

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4899
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Alright, I think that I am done with the application, let me know if I am missing anything!

Roll with Luck and have some Fun!
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 11:54 PM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7022
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gath View Post
@ All: I would challenge everyone to do the same thing, include family and friends in your background because they may definitely come into play at some point in the not too distant future and you will want to be ready for that.
Updated: Dochrud now has a "father" and 18 brothers.
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 10:52 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33358
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
@GallupsMirror - That's funny!

@ All - I'm going to take a few days to sort things out. I will announce who is accepted and what to do at that time.

Any questions or concerns, please feel welcome to contact me here or via PM.

A real quality show of talent here. Thank you all for applying.
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 12:34 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5073
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Good luck folks!
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 01:19 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12448
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Good luck all.
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 10:14 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3391
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
ohh great who got the pc's in trouble. Now the principal is involved and some of the pcs are gonna get expelled!!!!!!
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 06:21 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Applicant Status

Applicants
#PlayerCharacterClassRaceBG ArchetypeStatus
1DyerdonDamin OrkbettFighterAmethyst DragonbornCity WatchAccepted
2GirlplayGrace SmithBarbarianFire GenasiCourierAccepted
3Seekr34Mason AshfordShadow SorcererDhampirScholarAccepted
4StormhammerDoiri StoneheartThiefDwarf?Accepted
5Dylan ScottMalmenos KarxikasSorcerer (Aberrant Mind)TieflingStudent of MagicAccepted
6GallupsMirrorDochrud of SalvusWarlock (Fiend)RebornRakdos CultistAccepted
7GramtharLianthorn CaidiCleric (War)FirbolgOutlanderAccepted
8OnwardSerena MoonsungSorcerer (Divine Soul)Human (Variant)NobleAccepted
9BlackDragon0DeathbladeFighterDragonborn (silver)ChampionAccepted
10GrouchyReivald CopperpotSorcerer (Clockwork Soul)Rock GnomeGuild ArtisanAccepted
11DemonSlayerKravek MunakanathiPaladin (Oath of Glory)GoliathGuild MerchantAccepted
12GeneTIokua MalkoCleric of the GraveOwlinHermitAccepted
13SpriteDaria VahlenPaladin (Oath of Devotion)HumanKnightAccepted
14The Dark StarDir HythaWarlock (Fathomless)VerdanmSailorAccepted
15BattledchaserThe Pale LadyWarlock (Fathomless)Reborn TieflingHaunted OneAccepted

↠∞↞

Alright, welcome to the game.

Old Feb 17th, 2022, 08:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5073
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
WOW, you gonna be one busy DM
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 02:30 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, so opening things up again.

There is a large mixed group of sixish in one party and another group of five mostly mages in a different party. The larger group is in the city working on taking down some drug dealers. Meanwhile, the other group is in the sewers trying to get into the city illegally, for various reasons. They encountered a few rat swarms and then in their haste to flee, barricaded themselves inside a cavern and discovered a gelatinous cube. They are doing a great job of dealing with it, but one character died (and has replaced himself with a new character) and someone else just told me they need to take their leave of the game for a while.

Will you brave the sewers and face the daunting Gelatinous Cube?

Starting at lvl 1 soon to be lvl 2. Generous creation stats, and lots of loot right out of the gate. Looking for 1 or 2 intrepid souls.

(restricted only to official material)
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 06:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3714
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Can I apply with my previous character?
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 09:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 127
ProjectLazarus ProjectLazarus
Would it be possible to get a list of the current teams' race/class/party role composition?
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3556
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83

Last edited by Treble83; Jun 25th, 2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 12:40 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Cast of Characters
#PlayerCharacterClassRaceBG ArchetypeStatus
1DyerdonDamin OrkbettFighterAmethyst DragonbornCity WatchCity
2StormhammerDoiri StoneheartThiefDwarf?City
3OnwardSerena MoonsungSorcerer (Divine Soul)Human (Variant)NobleCity
4GrouchyReivald CopperpotSorcerer (Clockwork Soul)Rock GnomeGuild ArtisanCity
5DemonSlayerKravek MunakanathiPaladin (Oath of Glory)GoliathGuild MerchantCity
6SpriteDaria VahlenPaladin (Oath of Devotion)HumanKnightCity
7Seekr34Mason AshfordShadow SorcererDhampirScholarSewers
8Dylan ScottAldwin Var TalanFighter (TWF)HumanSailorSewers
9The Dark StarDir HythaWarlock (Fathomless)VerdanmSailorSewers
10BattledchaserThe Pale LadyWarlock (Fathomless)Reborn TieflingHaunted OneSewers
11GallupsMirrorDochrud of SalvusWarlock (Fiend)RebornRakdos CultistLeave of AbsenceSewers

Here is a list of the players and characters with a designation of where they are in Ptolus. If someone is in the "city" then they are together in the group that is working on the drug dealer caper. If they are in the "sewers" then they are in need of assistance.

So thematically there would be some reason that you would not have wanted or been able to enter through the front gates into the city and chose instead to make a go for it in the sewers. It doesn't have to be a dramatic reason, but it would be great if there was something to tie you into that thread.

DM Note: This is like once in a lifetime to encounter one of these creatures so creating a dedicated ooze slayer might limit your relevance in the rest of the game.

Last edited by Gath; Jun 6th, 2022 at 12:43 PM.