DnD5e Ptolus: City By The Spire And The Curse of The Dying - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 6th, 2022, 08:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2400
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
I have a quick class question. I'm looking at Gloom Stalker Ranger so I was wondering about the following:

Are the optional class features from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything available?

What Ranger version is being used, the one from the Players Handbook or the Revised Ranger from Unearth Arcana: The Ranger Revised?
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 11:01 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33358
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Yes to Tasha's.

I'm not super skookum with unearthed arcana and I couldn't find the material on dndbeyond. If you can point me in the right direction I'll have a look at it. But I'd prefer to stay in hardcopies.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 01:46 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
The PHB ranger is good to go. With Tasha's options it makes for nice additions to the original ranger.

Here it is, if you're still interested. It closed the gap that the ranger was lacking.

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/d...isedRanger.pdf
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 01:58 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Just heading to sleep now. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

What are you looking for with this update? I'm neutral on the topic but intrigued.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 02:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image

Name: Jazmin Shade
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Owlin (Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos)
Class: Ranger: Gloom Stalker (Xanathar's Guide to Everything)

Description: Jazmin looks just like a small, 3’ tall, white and brown fluffy owl. Her eyes are large and black, hinting that she’s equally at home both in the daylight and the dark night. Her humanoid hands and feet end in large, curved black claws, a remnant of her Giant Owl heritage. Her feathers are very fine in texture, and when she flaps her wings, there is no sound of beating wings. She wears colored clothing consisting of hues of dark greens and browns with highlights of silver and white. On the left shoulder of her outfit she displays the emblem of Lorehold College and the right shoulder is the emblem of the Gloom Stalker conclave known as Night Watch Guardians.

Character Background: Jazmin was born and raised in a small community of Owlins and various Fey folk in the Morn Woods, just south of the city of Sariush. Just like her giant owl kin who were used by the Fey folk for protection, Jazmin became a member of the Night Watch Guardians so that she can watch over and protect her community and anyone else who needed help. The Guardians are an off shoot of the Delver’s Guild, founded by an retired elven adventure and former member of the Guild, named Aien Venjor. Members are trained to become Rangers who specialized in going into the dark places that no one wants to. Aien also teaches the Rangers some magic in order to enhance their abilities as scouts and hunters.

With Aien’s help and her Ranger training, Jazmin learned how to become an efficient night predator and protector of those who wanted to venture into the surrounding areas of Morn Woods.. These skills also helped her to continue her expeditions as a scout for the traveling merchants the frequented the area, traveling between the cities of Sariush and Phinothae. However, her life in the village was about to change.

It was a long and hard few days of leading yet another expedition to the city of Phinothae. Jazmin was dirty and tired and wanted nothing more than a bath and nice long sleep in a soft bed. As she approached her home community, she noticed that it was oddly quite. Completely silent, as a matter of fact. When she entered the community, all the doors and windows of every house was shut tight. The only signs of life were that of her mother and father standing in the center of town. As she approached them, she noticed there was a stern look of both of her parent’s faces.

Jazmin knew exactly what this was. She was being kicked out of the nest. Every young Owlin went through this. Now it was her turn.

Her father spoke first. His voice was firm with hints of worry mixed in it.

”While it’s amiable of you to act as an independent scout, there is one problem with what you are doing. You keep coming back here. “

As her father paused, her mother spoke up. She also had the same firm voice with hints of worry mixed in it.
”Now go. Don’t come back until one year has passed.”

Without another word, both of her parents turned their backs towards Jazmin, headed to their house, closed the door and locked it shut. Standing in the middle of town all by herself, the young Owlin knew what she had to do. With a silent sigh, she left her home and headed towards the edge of town. There she was met by Aien. He gave her a piece of paper with a map sketched on it. He smiled at her.

"Go here. The Undercity Market in Ptolus. There you'll find plenty of work that will help you in sharping your skills."

Still smiling at her, he stepped aside and let her pass. Jazmin would have live there until she was allowed to return to her community.

It wasn't until she was half way between Sariush and Ptolus that she started to hear the stories about a plague that causes tenacles to erupt from peoples eyes and then they start eating other people. It was quickly spreading west from Saar and no cure has been found yet. She also heard that everyone from miles around were heading towards Ptolus and entry into the has been restricted. This wouldn't be a problem for Jazmin. When she got closer to the city and the number of people heading towards the city started to grow, Jazmin waited until night fall. As soon as it got dark out, she took to the skies and flew straight towards Ptolus. Using her ability to fly silently and her excellent night vision, the Owlin was able to quietly fly over the wall while avoiding the guards. Once inside the city, Jazmin headed straight towards The Undercity Market and the Delver’s Guild, her new home.

Background Archetype: Lorehold Student /University student (Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos/Player’s Guide to Ptolus)

Personality Traits
1. Don't let my cute fluffy looks or my cheerful attitude fool you. I'm a predator and if I'm pushed too far, I'll let you know in terms you'll understand.
2. I studied magic so I'd be able to better protect those I care about.
Ideal: When tracking down my prey I try to remain calm and patient. My life may depend on it.
Bond: Like my giant owl kin, I became a guardian so that I can watch over and protect those who need it to the best of my abilities.
Flaw: I growl at and bite anyone who gets too close to my food while I am eating. A predator’s hard-earned meal is worth protecting from others and that instinct is strong in me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hnet.com-image (5).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	96121  

Last edited by voodoozombie; Jun 12th, 2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 11:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gath View Post
Just heading to sleep now. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

What are you looking for with this update? I'm neutral on the topic but intrigued.
Originally, I was inquiring about both options, the revised Ranger and Tasha's options incase one wasn't accepted.

The UA revised Ranger made the Ranger useful and more of a Ranger then before. It added additions to the original features and made them useful and the class more durable and put the Ranger back into the class.

With Tasha's, this makes the Ranger Class more customizable and the features are now more refined if you wanted to take the new options. This works with both the original and revised class so now. The update was more of an option if Tasha's isn't accepted by you.

I'm going over the Players Guide right now. I'm looking for Ranger 'fractions' for my backstory.

Last edited by voodoozombie; Jun 8th, 2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I believe that Jazmin Shade is complete. Please let me know if I need to change anything.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 11:15 AM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
I'm working this week. It's a beautiful image but a little big. Try running it through this Image Resizer to scale it down a bit.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 11:24 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I'll try to find a smaller one. I got the link directedly from a web site, not my computer. I'll play around with the image resizer this weekend. Thanks!

Last edited by voodoozombie; Jun 10th, 2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 06:38 PM
E X • N O X • L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10562
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Hey Gath!

You mentioned not bothering with Tasha's for race considerations. What about the feats there? Are they off-bounds as well?

Old Jun 10th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
What did I do there?
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 07:32 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
I think Tasha's wants people to cherry pick from racial features and I'm not really into that. I mean it's a neat idea and offers some interesting freedoms but I'd prefer to commit to published races, of which there are quite a few..

Other than that I don't believe I have any issues with Tasha. What did you have in mind, out of curiosity?
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 09:38 PM
E X • N O X • L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10562
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Himitsu.gif
Views:	108
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	96139  

Last edited by ElderOblex; Jun 23rd, 2022 at 08:06 AM.
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 03:43 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 205
Zangul Zangul Zangul
Are apps still open?
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 08:42 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2103
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
The Miracle of Imagination:
right-aligned image

Name: Niklaus De Alfaro
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Bard

Description: Niklaus doesn't stand out in a crowd but does stand out among a few, his head barely reaches four and a half feet tall even with the mop of curly brown hair atop it. If it weren't for the sparse stubble upon his chin instead of a luxurious beard, he would be easily taken for a short dwarf but is often mistaken for a tall halfling. In truth, he is a human but he was born different than most, enough of a physical difference to make him a disgrace to his own father. He has coined the phrase and will tell anyone who would call him a dwarf or halfling that he is actually a midget. Beneath the mass of hair that messily tops his head are brown eyes that aren't very striking but bring an air of gentleness with them except when they are swimming in their sockets from over-indulgence in alcohol. His skin is tanned from the outdoors, unlike most nobles, having spent substantial time out in it. He usually sports a goatee made up of stubble which he cares little to trim until it becomes too long and bothersome. His clothes are that of a noble except for his sturdy shoes, that of military nature but above that are his red trousers with stirrups that loop around in front of the heal of his shoes, A white cotton shirt that ties at the neck, a red vest and a long overcoat with many buttons up it's edge but he is often disheveled, except for the finely kept, military rapier he wears at his hip, sheathed on an over-the-shoulder belt, between his overcoat and vest.

Character Background: Niklaus was born in the city of Trolone to the De Alfaro Merchant Family, a family regarded at the level of minor nobility due to success and wealth. As was the state of his birth, his father, Siegbald De Alfaro, was instantly mortified and to make matters worse, this imp of a child saw gained more disdain when his mother, Bianca passed shortly after from the exertion and loss of blood. Unfortunately, the disdain and sheer dishonor that rode Siegbald, he only had the one living heir to his mercantile empire. Old Siegbald was determined to make his best effort of turning this curse upon his bloodline into a man worthy of the family business.

As the boy grew, he only grew so much, but it was as if he could sense the dislike of his own father beneath the limited cordial visits he was given but Nikolaus saw far more of the nannies than his own father. As he grew into his teenage years, it was discovered that he was gifted with a sharp mind and even sharper tongue when he would outsmart or charm his way out of trouble with his caretakers. This is also the time that he realized he had quite a talent for writing stories and then novels later. It was only six months into his first book, "Lust like Hot Iron" that his father discovered what he was spending his majority of his studies doing instead of studying. He was scolded and mocked by Siegbald for wanting to be a famous writer rather than a tycoon of textiles. In as quick an order as could be made, he sent his boy into the military academy of Trolone with explicit instructions to keep him away from paper, quill and ink.

Several months into the academy and Niklaus had missed all but one marching drill and all but three sparring practices. The time it took him to grow disdainful of such military drivel, was all the time it took for him to discover the nearby brothel, wherewith, he was given access to writing materials, drink, and the opportunity to carouse and charm the women whilst regaling them with naughty tales from his book and in turn, gain romantic and sensual scenarios to add, the more scandalous the better. At the end of a year, Nikolaus had learned to duel fairly well with the light, short rapier they had provided and nearly finish his first novel. Apparently, a little sparring practice wasn't enough to keep him in such a horrid place and they summarily kicked him out, sending him bouncing back underneath his father's noble roof.

Siegbald, more than displeased with his son, displayed by the red-faced rant that spanned from one end of the manner to the other as he chased his diminutive son from room to regal room, he vowed at he end of the tirade that he would make something of this boy and if he wanted to think himself into a hospitable place in life, he would let him. He sent him off to the Wizard college where he would hone his mind to magic and make something of himself. In the hollowed halls of the vaulted libraries was where he gained the inspiration for his second book, something a little more refined than his first, ham-handed attempt at romance, this one named "The Gilded Lips". He gave little attention to his studies and learned very few magic spells and minor tricks and chose to spend his time reading books from the library and working on his own works. This sheer neglect of his actual magical studies led to a failed expertise exam and sent him right back to his father with another complete novel full of scandalous intent.

His father's last attempt, the straw that broke the horse's back and his last resort. He forced the boy into a Temple of Lothian, where he would take strict vows of celibacy and commit his life to the gods. Little did Siegbald comprehend that Niklaus' imagination was far more accomplished than any other part of the boy-turned-man. While leafing through the religious texts provided to him with very little effort, he stumbled upon a whole book devoted to demons, old gods and archfeys, creatures that had the power to claim a vessel in the form of a human, and in trade for devastating magical power, the vessel would return to them knowledge or gifts of some kind. This sparked an idea in the boy and he quickly secreted himself away in one of the towers with a supply of paper and ink that would last him for a very long time. He only snuck out of his hiding spot for food that he took from the kitchens and never for religious gatherings. By the time the priests discovered his whereabouts, he was only halfway through his third smutty novel, "In the Demon's Shadow', but since it was high time for him to leave the temple and with so much lost time, the holy men ascertained him as a lost cause and that his extreme amount of 'prayer' was enough to send him on his way.

It was in a printing shop only weeks later that he first head the horrid tales of the Dying, a horrible plague that swept the land. It was then he decided that Ptolus, a place deemed safe from the plague and bustling with activity, Literally the opposite direction of where his father was, would be a good place to finish his third book and take control of his own destiny. What he would do there aside from writing was a mystery to him but he would need to collect rumors, stories, myths and legends before he wrote the last pages in and make his masterpiece. The journey to Ptolus was short from Trolone alongside the mule he was given by the priests but the worst part was the holdup he was forced to endure in Tent City although he did his best to work on his book while he waited for his chance to approach the gates. He grew bored of the dismal surroundings long before the line died down and risked the cramped situation instead.

Background Archetype: Noble
Personality Traits:
-I am a romantic and sensual being, always wanting all the feminine eyes on me.
-My imagination is my greatest treasure.

Ideal:
-Expression: One mustn't hide their true feelings, they need to get them out in any way they can.

Bond:
-My books will be my greatest achievement. I'll do almost anything to see them published and read in all corners of the Empire.

Flaw:
-I'm sometimes an obnoxious flirt, often blunt and honest.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Jun 16th, 2022 at 08:42 AM.