Game Thread Home is where the hearth is - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Village Survival
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 08:39 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 20414
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 9,685
Aww How Cute
Ria moves around the mama bear the long way and ends up next to a pear of cubs that look astoundingly like the illusion that Bran pulled up from the forest. The twin cubs look up at her from what looks to be the remnants of a chicken coop. The chickens are scattered to the winds and the cubs seem to be munching down on the chicken feed while covered with feathers. The sound the two make is a sort of *merp* sound.

Meanwhile the mama bear sees the image and hears the noise but gives a snort of negation until she then hears the other sound from the way Ria has gone. The large brown bear lumbers over that direction and gives a loud growl. The two cubs come scurrying towards her and she begins to escort them back towards the forest. Growling now and again at anyone she feels is a bit too close.


DM Notes
Encounter complete. Where to next?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 07:35 PM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2022
RPXP: 8377
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,877


Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
Once the bear was reunited with it’s Cubs and it trundled back to the Forest Bran released a long sigh of relief. To be frank Bran couldn’t believe he had just faced down a bear and he had neither run away or passed out from the shock.

Bran then turned to Gavin and looked up at the dragon man who had advocated that they run away. Taking a deep breath the young gnome then prepared himself for what he was about to say. ”Mister Gavin, I must admit that was incredibly scary but if we can’t deal with something as ordinary as a bear how ever are we going to deal with harpies or a swamp full of abomination rats.” Bran declared. ”It is good that you did not want to hurt the bear for merely wandering in to the village by mistake but with your gifts I am sure you could have stood against such a creature…” Bran then reassured.

”It should be safe to come down now…” Bran then called up to the Russet’s ”But don’t go back in to your house just yet until we take a look…” Bran then advised.

Bran then scampered over to the chicken coup and carefully examined what was left of it. Running his hand over the broken coup Bran began mutter to himself in a strange language as the broken pieces of the coup began to reform and come together.

Bran then did his best using whatever magical tricks he could to help him to gather up any chickens that were still in the area and return them to their coup.

”We should make sure there’s nothing else inside before we leave the Russet’s…” Bran then suggested to Ria and Gavin before heading back to the front door.

As was his usual strategy Bran then waved his hand and created an illusionary doppelgänger to take the lead while the real Bran quietly followed along a short distance behind. While Bran’s main concern was if any other creatures had broken in to the Russet’s house he also wanted to see what condition the inside was in after having a bear as an unexpected and uninvited guest.





OoCCasting mending to repair the chicken coup

Last edited by Alatere; Mar 19th, 2022 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 12:24 PM
DebiRedHair's Avatar
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair is offline
Elegant Elven Redhead
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2022
RPXP: 3299
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Posts: 2,594
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria watches the bear and cubs head into the woods. She looks up at the couple in the tree. "The next time you call for help please at least be accurate in the information you give us. Luckily we have resolved this wthout harming the bear, it's cubs or losing one of us to an upset bear." She then moves quickly to look inside the house and check that it s safe for the Russet's to go back into it.

Dice Perception:
1d20+3 (14)+3 Total = 17


Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 12:25 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 5241
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,726


Gavin is more than happy when the mother bear gathers her cubs and heads back into the forest, leaving them and the Russet's behind with nothing more than several growls as she leaves.

”Mister Gavin, I must admit that was incredibly scary but if we can’t deal with something as ordinary as a bear how ever are we going to deal with harpies or a swamp full of abomination rats.” Bran declared. ”It is good that you did not want to hurt the bear for merely wandering in to the village by mistake but with your gifts I am sure you could have stood against such a creature…”

"It wasn't that I was afraid of the bear, Bran, though I will admit to being frightened. I hoped to not have to hurt her because she wasn't one of the new creatures in the area, like the rats, that seem to want to do us harm. Before I saw the cubs, I thought it was just a bear that had wandered into a place with food and then gotten trapped. I thought removing ourselves from the area was the best way to avoid either her hurting us, or us having to kill her." Gavin smiles at his new friend. "Believe me, when we run into those rats, I will not hesitate to fight them. They need to be destroyed."

Gavin will look through the door of the house while Bran fixes the chicken coup and then wait for him to make the illusion of himself and check out the Russet's home together. He is fairly certain there is nothing else inside, since the bear would have probably fought it, but there's no reason not to be safe. Once they are sur the house is empty, he will call to the Russets to let them know it's safe to come down from the tree.

"We met the Forest Lord last night. He is a powerful being and he has set some new rules for the forest, and you should know about them.
I don't think you need to worry about the festival after the harvest yet, but you should know that, if you go hunting, you are not allowed to kill mothers or their young. If you need guidance, you just need to ask for it. If you gather wood, you are only allowed to cut down trees that are dying. You can ask for help with that as well and you will be led to appropriate trees. The Lord didn't say what form this assistance would take, but I imagine you will be shown what you need by some sort of animal. I would not break these new rules. The Forest Lord has the power to punish any who do so and I didn't get the impression that he would hesitate to do so."


"Bran, Ria, I think we should probably get back to the inn. We still have a report to make to Dame Kreia."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 09:42 AM
DebiRedHair's Avatar
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair is offline
Elegant Elven Redhead
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2022
RPXP: 3299
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Posts: 2,594
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria looks across at Gavin "I agree. Let's make our way to the Inn and report in. We have the news about the materials to tell them about as well as the Forest Lord's message." She starts to walk towards the inn. "We might even find Ash and Neville."



Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Mar 25th, 2022 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 12:02 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 20414
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 9,685
From Inn to Manor House
The house not having anything more interesting left inside, beyond a bear made mess, the group headed back to the Inn. From there thwy were directed to Dame Kreia's manor house. It was large, built of solid stone but, unlike Lord Valeson's castle, it had no moat no guard house. Oh there was a very nice stout oak door but this place felt homey. Bigger than most other houses in the village and yet not quite as ostentatious as the Valeson place.

Someone saw you coming and Winnifred opens the door as you approach. "Please come in, we are just making some lunch and you are welcom to join us." Winnifred Silverdale is the eldest daughter of Kreia and has been seen working with the other Weaver family in town to help out. She's kind and polite, hardly the steel and iron of her mother.

As you enter you smell fresh lamb and rosemary. The table has Dame Soulstealer, her family, and a few other villagers. Most likely those who lost a house in the quake and since the Inn only had so many rooms the Dame took them in. Along with Kriea are the rest of her extended family. The old woman introduces you to her family and listens as you speak. You note that the woman's fiery red hair seems even more silvered now than it used to.


Last edited by Ysolde; Mar 27th, 2022 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Mar 27th, 2022, 06:45 PM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2022
RPXP: 8377
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,877


Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
Bran was a rather kind hearted soul and once it was clear that the danger of the situation had fully abated Bran turned his attention to the trail of destruction the mother bear had left in her wake. It was amazing what you could do with a few minor spells and with a wave of his hand broken furniture began to reform and stains began to vanish. Infact the house even seemed to start rearranging and tidying itself up.

With the house looking a little better Bran then turned to Gavin and nodded. ”Yes I think we have done all that we can here for now…” Bran agreed. Bran then obediently followed along as the group headed back towards the inn, his chest at one point had also once again begun following along behind the gnome like a second shadow.




”That is very kind of you Lady Silverdale. We would be honoured.” Bran replied politely as they were invited in. The curious gnome then couldn’t help but glance round at anything and everything as they were ushered in to the house.

”We have much to report Dame Kreia, about bandits at Lord Valeson's manor, about the state of the manor itself, about an entity known as the Lord of the Forest and about the magical creatures that now reside in the forest and even about a bear that had wandered in to the village…” Bran began.

Taking a seat at the table Bran then began to cast as he spoke. ”The manor itself still stands though it had been taken over by bandits…” Bran recounted as a miniature manor suddenly appeared on the table complete with a collapsed gate house. ”The manor was also under siege by a giant guardian of the forest as the bandits had apparently slaughtered forest maidens…” Bran continued as an illusionary Treant suddenly rose out of the rubble and tiny illusionary arrows began to fly at it. ”We we’re able to negotiate with the tree man and convince him to spare the manor if in return we would bring him those responsible for killing the forest maidens…” Bran then recounted before hesitating for a moment. ”The tree-man helped us gain entry and we were able to retake the manor from the bandits, though some escaped…” Bran then revealed as the illusionary Treant ripped the gate from the manor.

”Mrs Pence is currently in charge at the manor but the number of staff there has been greatly reduced. She currently has four cooks, three maids, four house children and fifteen serfs with her. We repaired the gates as best we could and armed them with some of the weapons from the bandits but none of them are soldiers. As it is they are not sure if they can maintain the fields and Mrs Pence would like to meet with you if possible” Bran continued.

”We were able to obtain three barrels of charcoal and a substantial number ingots for the smithy.” Bran reported before frowning. ”As the farrier is no longer with us…” Bran added solemnly.

”As we had negotiated with the tree man we then took the bandits in to the forest to face judgement. The forest itself had transformed and was now filled with an assortment of magical creatures… Bran reported. The young gnome’s illusion then changed and suddenly there were unicorns, dryads, sprites and pixies dancing on the table. ”There we met the Lord of the Forest an entity that appeared as a Stag of purest white with golden eyes…” As Bran described it an image of the stag appeared in miniature. ”It judged the men and those it deemed guilty it turned to dust…” Bran revealed. ”The Lord of the Forest then had a decree for us…” Bran added as the illusion suddenly spoke.

"When the harvest comes there is to be a festival. A request for a blessing upon the lands and your crops. Proper obeisance will be made and a request for expiation of the wrongs that have been committed. Beyond that the forest and all beings within are to be respected, any who come with an axe must ask permission and they will be guided to the dying trees. Any who hunt must never take the mothers or children. If you are unsure ask a resident and they will guide you." The stag declared.

”The Lord of the Forest seemed powerful and I would take his words to heart…” Bran then advised.

”Oh it almost seems trivial now in comparison but when we returned to the village we were told that an abomination rat had invaded the Russet’s house but it actually turned out to be a mother bear and her Cubs. We were able to encourage her to return to the forest without much of an incident…” Bran then reported.

Bran then took a deep inhale and exhale and seemed to slump in his chair after reporting so much.





OoC- Casting mending to repair anything that’s needs fixing
- Casting prestidigitation to remove any stains
- Bran’s unseen servant tidies up

Last edited by Alatere; Mar 27th, 2022 at 06:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 12:35 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 5241
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,726


Gavin is glad they were able to get the bear to leave without it or anyone being injured. He is ready to pitch in and help restore the house, but Bran's spells make that unnecessary. When the house is on order once again, he says goodbye to the Russets as they head back to the village. "Hopefully you are not disturbed again, but if anything shows up again, don't hesitate to call for help."

When they arrive at Dame Kreia's manor he is surprised to be invited to lunch and he is nervous at first. However, when Gavin sees other villagers there, he feels at ease. Once it is clear that those villages have been taken in, he feels grateful that they have such caring rulers. Sitting t the table, Gavin is preparing to tell about what they saw, but Bran starts first and ], once again, his spells do a much better job than he could have managed. So Gavin enjoys the magic show while he eats, thinking he will jump in if Bran forgets anything, but Bran's memory proves at good as his magic and Gavin can only think of one thing he left out. "The Lord of the Forest left one of the bandits we took to him unharmed. I assume that means he didn't take part in killing the forest maidens. The Lord somehow transported us out of the forest and that man was no where to be found, so we don't know what happened to him. Also, the bandits were wearing the armor of the Valeson guards. None of the servants left at the manor said they knew the bandits, but they were safe behind locked doors, so they might not have gotten a good look at them. So we don't know if the bandits took the armor from the Valeson guards or if they were the guards."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 05:39 AM
DebiRedHair's Avatar
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair is offline
Elegant Elven Redhead
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2022
RPXP: 3299
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Posts: 2,594
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria enters the house without the trepidation she would have felt in the past. As she takes her seat, she is surprised at how little she is in awe of this family of powerful people who have dominated her life. Something within her tells her that she is their equal ... or better. She eats sparingly, mainly vegetables, as her appetitie has changed since the mountain fell. She listens to the others tell the tale of what they have done. "It is as they say, Dame Kreia.The smithy has metals to last us some while, and we need to find Ash to get charcoal to smelt it all. Bran's chest has brought us the armour and weapons from our foes so we can start work on improving the armour of our combatents and on equipping a militia. Ardin still wants me to visit the mine in the forest and I believe there is one house we have not visited. We can chekc on those places during our search for the abomination rats."


Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 08:03 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 20414
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 9,685
The Old Knight and her Family
Dame Soulstealer listens closely to each of you. Catching what has been said and noting what hasn't. "I'll have to head to the manor..." Children and grandchild all start talking telling her she's been doing so much. You hear bits of reminders about the abomination-rats she killed last night and how long she stayed up. She gives a sigh and makes a shooing motion, "Tomorrow, first light apparently an old lady who has killed five of those damn abominations isn't capable of a few miles walk."

She cranks at her children and they accept her terms of doing it tomorrow. She looks to your group and then says, "Should be less at the nest. Can't recall who said it was in the marsh but I agree with that. You head there and you'll find it and whatever blood magic created them. Just remember when dealing with blood magic any wound, no matter how small, needs to be closed as soon as possible. Use fire if you have to but don't let yourself keep bleeding or you'll just keep feeding the magic. I've seen it..."

She shuts her eyes and gives a small shiver. What had she seen as a Knight of the kingdom? How much horribleness from the king's blood mages? However much it was somehow she came out of it and made for a mostly decent land owner. Whatever her past she'd always been good to Mistvale sparing her wrath for those who would hurt the town or its people unless it was Lord Valeson himself and even then there were stories of her defying even him.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 11:46 AM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 5241
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,726


Gavin finds her family's concern for dame Kreia sweet, but her protests are also on point. It's nice to see that her family cares about her, but she's probably the most skilled combatant in the area, so if anyone can take care of themselves, it's her. He's also glad to hear she killed five of the rats, so there are fewer for he and his friends to deal with. From what the others said, the creatures are formidable, so the fewer they have to fight, the better.

Gavin listens to Dame Kreia's advice about blood magic and grimaces. That thought of his blood feeding some evil magic is disturbing. Also, he might be carrying a blunt weapon, but not everyone is, so killing the rats will undoubtedly feed the magic. He doesn't see any way around that, so they will just have to do the best they can.

"Thank you for the advice, Dame Kreia, and thank you for killing many of the rats yourself. Can you tell us where you fought the beasts? We may be able to track them from there back to their nest. We might need to gather a few things, like torches if we may need to cauterize our wounds, but other than that, and finding Ash, we should be able to start the hunt right away."
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 11:36 AM
DebiRedHair's Avatar
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair is offline
Elegant Elven Redhead
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2022
RPXP: 3299
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Posts: 2,594
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria replies to Gavin "I can heal some minor wounds and can magic up fire if needed. We should head to the Inn to see if Ash and Neville are there and then head out into the swamps while it is stilll light. We need to try and destroy the nest as soon as we can."


Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 11:37 PM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2022
RPXP: 8377
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,877


Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
”Yes that makes sense that blood… any blood would fuel the blood magic…” Bran agreed as he nodded along. ”Ofcourse it would be best if we could avoid taking any wounds though the number of abomination rats present in the swamp will determine how easy that will be. But if we are cautious and plan out our moves…” Bran then declared with a thoughtful look.

Bran then looked to Ria and nodded once again. ”Yes fire should not be a problem…” Bran agreed as he held out his hand and five tiny flames appeared on the tips of his fingers and thumb. Bran then fixed Ria with a quizzical look as he wondered what other magical abilities the elf had gained.

”I agree we need to gather everybody and find out what we are dealing with…” Bran then declared




Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 11:53 PM
WildJessi's Avatar
WildJessi WildJessi is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 1st, 2022
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Posts: 2,477
Autumn Luwddoc
right-aligned image

She walks and smiles at the greetings. "Thank you, very nice home yo have." She looks around casually, not wanting to be rude, then she finds a seat and listens carefully to everything that is being said.





Autuamn's stats
 
__________________
Took the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 12:31 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 30th, 2022
RPXP: 20414
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 9,685
End Breakfast and off to find Abominations
The old woman nods and offers that you can get some supplies before you go. She also shows that she fought the rats not too far from the fields. Near the marsh which is where Kaleigh's traps also got some of them. She wishes you luck on your journey and so does everyone else at the table.

As you go one of the house maids is waiting at the door. Each of you are handed some fresh linen bandages and a small vial of black colored powder. The maid offers, "Pour some in the wound and light. The mistress says they often used this to cauterize wounds."

After that you head to the Inn to find any missing parts of your group. There you note quite a few people from town still have not left the place. Outside the inn you also note that a palisade is going up likely to be used for attacks in the future.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2022, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB