RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 16th, 2022, 10:40 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24089
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I'm going vague, roughly around the mid 2070's
Okay! Just wanted a general idea of what the characters would know, timeline wise.
Old May 16th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 298
Optional Reality Optional Reality Optional Reality
Quote:
Magicians & Shamans are allowed one initiation during Char gen.
I assume this should be read as "Magicians may spent 13 Karma to be a Grade 1 Initiate during chargen" and not "Magicians may start as Grade 1 Initiates without spending Karma".
Old May 16th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Funky Little Lesbian

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11746
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Reality View Post
I assume this should be read as "Magicians may spent 13 Karma to be a Grade 1 Initiate during chargen" and not "Magicians may start as Grade 1 Initiates without spending Karma".
That is correct.
Old May 16th, 2022, 04:44 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sorry to be filled with fun questions today. So, we're obviously starting out kinda far from home. How do you want us to handle Lifestyle costs during setup. Presumably we don't have a lifestyle established here yet in any case, since we're hiding from missile-launching maniacs in a bunker.
Old May 16th, 2022, 04:53 PM
Funky Little Lesbian

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
The first month will be a +Secure Locationmedium (free, at that) lifestyle cost. Everybody can decide how they'd like to approach their individual lifestyle costs after that.

Last edited by Marshmallow; May 16th, 2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old May 16th, 2022, 06:59 PM
Hostile AI

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4422
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
Fun. I have never heard of Shadowrun before but I would like to try it.

Complete, draft 4
right-aligned image

Character Handle: Orion
Metatype: Ork
Magical Tradition: The Spiritual Way (vaguely horned god wiccan)
Role: Adept bounty hunter (tank, outdoorsman)

Background:
Orion is just a throwback ork living in a jacked-in world. He was born in rural England where the humans were just as poor as the trogs. The kind of place where a family shared a commlink and school came from 50 year old print books dumped like trash from big city libraries. And yeah, maybe his dad was a drunk and his mom ran off with some corp goon for a SINner's paradise, but that was half again more than the next kid had. And besides, not many kids get to grow up around plants, breathing the 2070s version of fresh air. So that's something.

But as he and all the other kids grew up, they each began to look for an out. Some way to get some scratch, make a name, find a future that wasn't living in a field or a junkyard. They became thieves, smugglers, gangers. Some set up shop as "chemists" or "security guards". A few got picked up by some bad actors making some big promises. And for those kids who really took to books, well, some moved to the city and got real jobs with real SINs.

But Orion had a gift. He could see things, hear things, smell things that nobody else could. Which means he could track down people off the grid, even in places like where he grew up, where cameras and matrix signals don't go. And he was big, even by ork standards. Which means he could handle the kind of people other people want tracked down.

Turns out, for a lot of jobs, you don't even need a SIN. But for the better jobs, the real paydays, you do. And if you want an office, and a verified commlink code, and a reputation, you better have a pretty good one. Luckily one of his old friends went digital freelance and could handle that kind of work without having to sell his soul to the corps. He still leans on that old friend once in a while, when computers have to be involved. It's paying work if not steady work. But for the most part Orion gets to live in the real world, by his own rules. And that's the most any of those kids back home could have asked for.

Last edited by AlphaZ; May 19th, 2022 at 01:12 AM.
Old May 16th, 2022, 08:27 PM
Funky Little Lesbian

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaZ View Post
Fun. I have never heard of Shadowrun before but I would like to try it.

Of all the lies I've heard, this is the most blatant.
Old May 16th, 2022, 09:27 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1418
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Quote:
Of all the lies I've heard, this is the most blatant.
So it's not fun?
Old May 16th, 2022, 11:58 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Handle: D.G.
Metatype: Human
Tradition: Chaos Magic
Role: Mage / "holistic detective"

Background
right-aligned image
D.G. is... a detective of sort. Certainly, she's almost preternaturally perceptive, and her mastery of more esoteric senses is all but unmatched in someone with her age and experience. Her philosophy, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired. She deems herself a "holistic detective", an idea apparently cribbed from the remains of -- of all things! -- an ancient paperback book she carries. At this point, the book's missing its cover and probably a solid 20% of its pages; the story is barely comprehensible now, if it ever was. But it presents the idea of the "interconnectedness of all things". The idea that you can learn about this thing, or find this person by learning about all the other things, everywhere, instead. At least her cover identity has a P.I. license.

It's total nonsense, of course. But it's also how D.G. works magic, tying together threads of astral thought that shouldn't be together, seeing the patterns wrought by the flapping wings of the butterfly. It doesn't make any sense, and it shouldn't work at all, but that's the magic of it. Admittedly, some particularly "formal" clades of spirits seem to object to the way she turns chaos and coincidence into magical truth, but so far that hasn't stopped her from getting things done. D.G. is certain that the missing pieces of her century-old novel still exist and that, when she finds one, it will be proof that she's on the right track indeed. The right track toward what? Hardly a question that needs consideration, much less an answer.

And in the meantime, she's not at all shabby with that old, well-kept machine pistol she keeps at her side. She's also got a knack for helping others take their places in organized combat positions. It's clear she's had combat training from someone who knew what they were doing. Sometimes she lets something slip that suggests she spent time in Denver. But she doesn't intentionally talk about her past, and certainly has never given anyone her name. "Don't really remember," is her pat reply. She's not a very good liar, but pointing that out doesn't make her any more forthcoming.

Last edited by Optional Reality; May 23rd, 2022 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 17th, 2022, 06:03 AM
Funky Little Lesbian

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effete View Post
So it's not fun?

Last edited by Marshmallow; May 17th, 2022 at 06:04 AM.
Old May 17th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hey, Marshmallow, is there an easy way to make Chummer let me initiate during character creation, per the active house rule? Obviously, that's not normally legal, so it won't let me do it, but initiation also costs more Karma that you're normally allowed to carry forward from chargen. I... do not have enough experience with this system or this creation tool to make it do what I want.
Old May 17th, 2022, 05:23 PM
Hostile AI

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4422
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Reality View Post
Hey, Marshmallow, is there an easy way to make Chummer let me initiate during character creation, per the active house rule? Obviously, that's not normally legal, so it won't let me do it, but initiation also costs more Karma that you're normally allowed to carry forward from chargen. I... do not have enough experience with this system or this creation tool to make it do what I want.
Go to Tools -> Options -> Houserules, then check the box for the one you need.
Old May 17th, 2022, 05:48 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaZ View Post
Go to Tools -> Options -> Houserules, then check the box for the one you need.
Old May 18th, 2022, 09:35 AM
Funky Little Lesbian

Tools
User Statistics
No meta variants yet? Okay, I see how it is.

Minor update to the OP done.
Old May 18th, 2022, 10:13 AM
Anarquista

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3321
CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles
Quote:
No meta variants yet? Okay, I see how it is.

Minor update to the OP done.
For the record, I considered being that one human metavariant, but elf is just so nice!