PbtA [Urban Shadows] Dreams of a Neon Sky - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 29th, 2022, 03:04 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17390
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
[Urban Shadows] Dreams of a Neon Sky

Applications are Now Closed

Arcon
right-aligned image

Arcon, the city of Neon Daylight, 2096. Companies and manufacturing agencies occupy entire neighborhoods, carving for themselves little fiefdoms within the sprawl, while Punkers, Workers, and all manner of folks besides take it upon themselves to do some carving of their own, building towards a better future from the pile of rubble called “history,” from the corpo-ridden skylines of Downtown Heights, to the irradiated Plains of Penance, fit for only the most adventurous of Droods.

Technology is embedded thoroughly into every aspect of people’s lives, from their workplace to their home, and the majority are unable to operate smoothly within society without a personal communication device.

Cybernetics are a common reality. Ranging from everyday utility limbs, to subdermal neon synth-fiber installations, to internal life-saving artificial organs, to individualized pieces of literal body weaponry, these augmentations and prosthetics serve a variety of purposes for a variety of people.

The city itself is perpetually on the verge of great change, and where such change is possible, oftentimes violence erupts. Arcon's crime rate is absurdly high, with offenses ranging from kidnapping, arson, murder, larceny, fraud, to cybernetic and organ harvesting. These criminal acts are a symptom of a society that does not, and in many cases refuses to, support its everyday citizens, a society built upon a capitalistic structure which encourages people to direct their unhappiness and anger towards each other instead of towards the system that has created this discord.

Underneath this all, lies a darkness that has existed since before man first walked the Earth, all the while, humankind's technological prowess has granted them a false sense of dominance over the world. The number of those that dare to stare back into the darkness have been dwindling as the centuries have worn on, leaving increasingly few to stem the tide.

The game
Dreams of a Neon Sun is an Urban Shadows (PbtA) game. I will be using the 2e rules found in the quickstart guide (which is free here), and deferring to the 1e rules where needed (2e is still in progress).

A notable change from a "typical" Urban Shadows game is that Dreams of a Neon Sun is taking place in the future. Specifically, 2096. The theme of the setting is decidedly cyberpunk, but I am intentionally not adding complex rules for the use of technology. Yes, cybernetics are an option, but they are essentially just another type of gear and additional means of gaining more debts and complications. There is no Matrix, Net, Digiscape, etc., and their accompanying set of rules. Yes, there will be hacking to get past security, open doors, etc., but these actions will still use the existing moves. The focus of this game will be the futuristic dystopian city of Arcon and its citizens and factions, not the technology they utilize.

More information about the various aspects of the game can be found in the game folder, with the individual threads linked below:

ApplicationsNote: There is a lot of information presented in the game folder detailing the various aspects of the city of Arkon. Please do not feel obligated to read through everything in order to submit an application, just the content that you feel would be relevant to your character. Anything beyond that can be covered in-game.

Applications should include:
  • Your Name
  • Choose an Archetype Only archetypes from the Mortalis (The Aware, The Hunter, The Veteran) and Power (The Oracle, The Sworn, The Wizard) circles are allowed
  • Your Look (A picture is also nice)
  • Your Demeanor Each archetype has a unique set of demeanors keyed to the archetype’s specific issues; pick one from the list and tell how your character displays it.
  • Intro Questions Each Archetype has a unique set of intro questions. Provide at least a few lines to answer each of these. Feel free to secret the answers as needed.
  • Other Information Each Archetype has some additional information that needs to be provided (detailed on your playbook):
    • The Aware - Describe your three Mortal Relationships
    • The Hunter - Provide the details about your Society
    • The Oracle - Provide details about your Benefactor
    • The Sworn - Provide details about your Oath
    • The Veteran - Describe three features of your Workshop
    • The Wizard - Describe four features and two downsides of your Sanctum
  • How familiar are you with Urban Shadows (or PbtA games) in general? I have no objections to players applying that have no prior experience.

Information
  • Application Deadline: 6/17
  • Party Size: I am looking for 4-5 players
  • Posting Rate: 1 post per week
  • Archetype Duplication I will be taking no more than two of the same archetype
  • Other Playbook Information The rest of the information on the playbooks (moves, starting debts, residents, and relationships, etc.) will be defined once the characters have been selected.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Jun 18th, 2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old May 29th, 2022, 03:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1732
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
Nice! I'll need to read those rules and try my hand at an application. If I'm still allowed to after falling flat in the funnel game anyway.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old May 29th, 2022, 03:28 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2767
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
Awesome!! Allow this post to serve as my reservation. Welp, I've got egg all over my face. I was about 60% done with my application before realizing that the Night and Wild circles aren't allowed in this particular game. There goes by charismatic, mega-church leading Imp idea...but hey, now I get to play around with new character concepts! I'll track the status of my application here.

Application Status 100% Complete
right-aligned image

Your Name: Solomon "Saul" Wesson

Choose an Archetype: The Hunter

Your Look (A picture is also nice): Conforming; White; Masculine; Tactical Clothing: Specifically, Solomon--and a number of hunters with the Saint Jacob's Society--have adopted a style of dress that mixes the aesthetic of a modern (read: cyberpunk) take on post-apocalyptic survivalist/tactical gear with the pragmatic enhancements to clothing and gear the current decade offers. He wears layers of nanite-enhanced leather culminating in a flowing coat with a power generator / battery combination woven into the fabric. As such, the coat's lining periodically, gently thrums with latent power that oscillates between alluring blues and heavenly golds, often somewhere in the opalescent middle-ground between the colors. This surreal coloration is due to a combination of technology and the supernatural: transparent wiring covers the lining radiating from the coat's generator-battery that filters out the overwhelming spectra of light typically associated with the coat's main power source: a vat of angelic blood. Or ichor; or grace; or whatever bio-theological term you want to give it: it's the life source of the Host, and it works phenomenally well as a source of power.

While Saul has an assortment of arms available at any given time, he takes precautions to hide them, either holstered in the inner pockets of his coat or in the hollowed compartment carved into his arm connected to his cybernetic metal hand. Saul sports a tight, undercut top-knot for his mandarin-colored hair, with stubble of the same color ever-encroaching. His one remaining human eye is colored purple after a lost bet; a wicked scar covers the other eye which has since been replaced with a cybernetic one that shifts between an obsidian finish and glowing crimson when activated.

Probably the most curious aspect of Saul's aesthetic is the numerous religious paraphernalia attached to various bits of his body. He dangles necklaces, amulets, and talismans from his neck symbolizing every faith that he's aware of, new and old. They clatter against each other gently when he moves, a subtle yet attention-demanding sound. Wrapped around his remaining biological wrist are Buddhist meditation beads along with a rosary, and he supports a hidden tefillin along his left upper-arm. An ichor-stained cross dangles from his hip along with an ankh, while a Native-appearing icon of feathers hangs from his right ear. He says they're woven from the carcass of...well, you can probably assume by this point. The kicker is: the various icons are not a sign of multicultural faith but a beacon to the unseen realm: a challenge to the angelic powers that have gone astray from any of the world's remaining faiths.

Your Demeanor: Friendly. "There's no one coming to save you. No gods, no kings, no benevolent masters high above in their supernal realms looking out for your best interest. There's no one but yourself, and me. And people like me. We're all in this together, despite whatever superficial differences they use to keep us divided. Trust in yourself, and trust in me."

Intro Questions:
  • What personal tragedy led you to the hunt?: My family was recruited into a cult that culminated in their mass-death courtesy of a rogue angel, Saraknyal. I was nothing more than a pup back then. The Saint Jacob's Society took me in from there. Good ol' boys (and gals, and non-binary pals), the lot of them.
  • How long have you been in the city?: My whole life, more or less. We've always been on the outskirts due to life passing us by courtesy of inflation and stagnating wages--my papa was a worker and mama couldn't help much since she was a bit touched in the head.
  • What impressive kill are you infamous for?: Oh man, let me tell you! See, I was under the impression--back then--that, just because one thing-that-goes-bump-in-the-night exists, it doesn't mean that others have to. Ya know? I was so busy training with the others to hunt members of the Host that a Deep One nearly sent me packing. Different worlds, man; but hey: at least it got killed all the same. But can you blame me for looking at those from small, coastal towns with a bit more scrutiny now?
  • What do those you hunt call you behind your back?: Damned. Angels are so quick to judge. No, really: they love it. It makes them feel like they've taken the Almighty hot-seat at the head of the Divine Council. They love exploiting our beliefs, especially those of the faithful. Damned, blasphemer, apostate: pretty much anything you'd hear typed in all-caps in an online religious forum you'd hear as an insult spat from one of the (many) mouths of an angel. Fun fact! Some angels are only a mouth! You don't typically so those in cathedral art.
  • Who inflicted the wound that still haunts you?: Saraknyal. Sara. Rogue angel and member of the Grigori. Not sure how they got out from their chains in Tartarus--if the Good Book's Extended Edition is to be believed--but they did. Damn thing likes showing up as a woman despite seeding a whole generation of nephilim back in the day. But hey, it's 2096: who am I to go on about gender expression or identity? It's just...distracting, ya know?

Other Information: You belong to a society of hunters, an affiliation of fellow mortals who stalk dangerous prey to protect the mortal world from the supernatural. Tell your MC to stat up your society as a Size-2, Strength-2 faction within Mortalis.Saint Jacob's Society. Religion is an artifact of human society, for better or worse. Very belief in something beyond, something greater than humanity has propelled our species forward and, in many cases, backwards. It's a bit of a cultural dance, you see: one step forward, two steps back depending on if you're made of the right stuff or not. It's been with us since the dawn of our bicameral minds, and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere any time in the near future...especially not with actual gods, angels, and other damned things crawling around unimpeded. That's where we come in.

Every Monday, the Saint Jacob's Society meets in a crumbling--but still hallowed, ironically enough--church in the Residential District's bowels. We--those who walk in the path of Saint Jacob, the one who wrestled against the Angel of the Lord and prevailed (even if only on a technicality)--come from all stripes: workers, punkers, hawkers, and even a few upstarts have all bound together toward the simple purpose of hunting down every last angel who subjugate the will of the faithful. We have no theological means-test to join the Society; you don't have to believe what "true faith" looks like, but we all agree, all have faced one of the Host and lived to tell our sordid tales. Angels, malakim, yazatas, devas, Platonic daemons who flit between the material and spiritual world: call them what you will, but there are some in their lot who are bad apples...and it's hard not to see the whole bunch as spoiled. Your mileage may vary, of course.

We've all made sacrifices to get here: some more than others. For me, I lost my childhood. Angels were supposed to be the good guys, ya know? The ones who rode in, all shining halos and righteous wrath, to smite the bad guys. That was until my family got sucked in to one of their little cults. The eloah love being put on pedestals; they spark up cults from time to time--really helps them scratch that itch to be Almighty. My family fell in line as our church grew more and more radical, circling the void like we were a hopeless planet spiraling around a hungry black hole. We were the All-American type: all bootstraps and no sense of life beyond our own, narrow scope--but how were we supposed to know better? It's what we had been told our whole lives. Well, that was until one of the Host--Saraknyal--decided to finally answer our prayers. Problem was, the thing was so juiced up on undiluted faith that it forgot to put its blinders on: the thing manifested in its fully celestial form, nothing but eyes and singing mouths spiraling out in fractals. Real Lovecraftian stuff, man, and no "be thee not afraid!" or nothing! Melted the brains right out of most folks. Here's the kicker though: I only got away unscathed--physically--because I dropped my hymnal. Ol' Sara tried to comfort me--now looking like Aphrodite with a pair of wings--but I found out a valuable lesson that day: angels can bleed. I'm surprised she didn't just atomize me when I was a kid; she'll regret that mercy when I put a bullet between her many, many eyes.

How familiar are you with Urban Shadows (or PbtA games) in general? I'm not incredibly familiar with Urban Shadows, but I'm currently running a game of Masks. I love the narrative flow of PbtA games. I'm currently rummaging through the US2 Quickstart that's been provided in order to familiarize myself with the game!

Concluding Remarks about Saul: When I saw that "angels" were a prey option for the Hunter, I knew I had to make that the central theme of my character. He oscillates between being jaded and charming, all because of his exposure to the World of Darkness Secret World Urban Shadows. While the character will invoke religion quite a bit, I'm going to work on making him nuanced enough to not paint all religion with a broad brush. While the edginess is a bit of the appeal, I have no interest in actually disparaging anyone's beliefs. For the record, I'm actually religious myself, but there's a certain horror in finding out that the supernatural exists, but that my beliefs about them are completely wrong. I'm going to lean into that existential horror for this character. Let me know if anyone feels that any of my portrayals are line-crossing; I'm all about maintaining a safe space to game and cooperatively create.

Posting Status: Just started a new job, so posting may be a bit sporadic and terrible as I try to navigate my new schedule and my mushy brains

Last edited by FraterChad; Jun 17th, 2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old May 29th, 2022, 05:12 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2767
FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad FraterChad
Question for the DM!

While I know that we're only playing archetypes from Mortalis and Power, do the Wilds and Night circles still exist in Arcon?

Posting Status: Just started a new job, so posting may be a bit sporadic and terrible as I try to navigate my new schedule and my mushy brains
Old May 29th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Excited to see such quick interest.

All circles are absolutely represented in the city. I am just putting a little distance between humans and non.
Old May 29th, 2022, 07:09 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 253
RedSun RedSun RedSun
Oh this looks fun!

I'm assuming given the writeup, but it's kosher to make a Mortal character that's pretty heavily loaded up on Cyberware, right?

Also, are genemods a thing in this setting? Do people mess around with their own genetics for fun and profit? In general, would you say this is strictly hard sci-fi or would it be fair to add a few pulp elements?

Last edited by RedSun; May 29th, 2022 at 07:09 PM.
Old May 29th, 2022, 07:42 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I'm assuming given the writeup, but it's kosher to make a Mortal character that's pretty heavily loaded up on Cyberware, right?
Correct, there is no restriction on how much or little cyberware your character has installed, just bare in mind that each piece will require a go under the knife roll (made after the characters are selected).

Quote:
Also, are genemods a thing in this setting? Do people mess around with their own genetics for fun and profit? In general, would you say this is strictly hard sci-fi or would it be fair to add a few pulp elements?
Sure, although not anywhere as common as cybernetics, I could see some companies tinkering with gene modification. I would handle it mechanically just like cybernetics.
Old May 29th, 2022, 09:50 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20414
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
I'll write something up tomorrow
Old May 30th, 2022, 07:33 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 253
RedSun RedSun RedSun
Your Name
Misty Ortiz AKA Auntie Tigress FKA The Tattooed Tiger
Choose an Archetype
The Veteran
Your Look
FeminineNonconformingLatinxFeline
I'm 6'4 and my body is 70% black chrome. Hardware that was considered sleek for it's time but now looks just a bit too bulky and angular to be naturalistic cover my arms, back, stomach and most of my legs. Those I got for free from a company I won't name, but people better remember me for the modifications I made by myself-my golden cybernetic eyes with slit pupils, my prehensile cybernetic tail that sways while I walk, the big metal cat ears grafted to my skull that twitch when I'm excited and point to the sky when I'm surprised. I got little fangs and retractable claws too, though the latter has a terrible habit of not deploying these days. I'm also remembered for my art-I spent a lot of free time etching designs into my mechanical flesh. Made it feel homier. My arms body's never not covered in little intricate line patterns and waves of pastel flowers and raunchy sketches of women covered in blood or some such things. That bit got me my name-the Tattooed Tiger, which is just a little bit rude because I'm obviously a Tigress!
Most of my kit is old tech that I can only mostly keep running, and the same goes for my remaining meatstuffs. I've got these crows feet and a couple other lines setting in my face, my joints ache, only streaks of my lovely black hair remain among the grey-though I don't have the heart to dye it. At least a winning smile never goes sour-well, that's what my friends tell me.
Your Demeanor
Charming
Look, when you're a cyborg giantess that can jump thirty feet in the air and have a plasma wavecannon in your gut that can slag a tank and half the street it rode in on, you can't really pull off the strong silent routine. Or, you can, but no one's going to be reassured by it-no one likes it when a bomb is on but they can't hear it ticking, you feel me? I didn't just put these cats ears on my head to look cool and cute and better then everybody else-you act playful and femme and you can actually try and enjoy your life wile also being a walking murder machine. It didn't always work, mind you, but I like to think I straddled the line well enough.
Nowadays, my tech is so obviously dated, people think they don't have as much to fear from me. I get looked at like a kooky auntie-and because everyone knows me and I've got all these resources and I have the audacity to never close my little workshop, they treat me like one. I get these teens rolling into my work at 11 PM going "Auntie, please, my mom will kill me if she sees I've scratched my good throwing arm! Auntie, my internal speaker system shorted and I'm set to DJ in half an hour! Auntie, a stray bullet pierced the brachial solenoids in my pretty sleek cyberarmor and now my shoulder won't stop twitching!". And I sigh and give them my little smile and say don't you worry dear because I guess I need to be everyone's little lapcat more then I need to sleep at night.
Intro Questions
What were you once known for in the city?
Protection, mostly. Good bit of wetwork, too, some monster-hunting, a bit of espionage here and there. People remember the wavecannon pretty damn well, though I've fired it maybe two dozen times in the past forty years-it was always better as a deterrent then anything else.
How long have you lived here?
Settled here in my late thirties, though I'd done work here prior to that. I hit 60 in four months.
What was your greatest accomplishment
So about a decade and a half ago, there was this nanotechnology company, see? Called themselves Miniature Miracles Inc. Don't look them up, you'll find nothing but old forum posts about how their company headquarters was ugly. They had these intravenous nanites that they claimed could get in your brain and coat it like a skin, and once in place, could be used to electromagnetically stimulate any part of your head. In short, they could basically control every facet of your living soul. Horrifying ****, and Fletcher thought they could do it. They were in deals to acquire them, and I don't need to tell you that no one trusted them with that kinda thing. Scared the **** out of a lot of people. So me and a big team of friends got together, and we took this all deadly seriously. We went full black trenchcoat. Did weeks of espionage, planted bugs, collected data on employees, gained admin access to every server on their network. And we bought a lot of c4. Crushed everything. Every record of the technology wiped. Patents burned. You can't even look up the families of the people who used to work there, because they no longer formally exist. They paved over the sinkhole we made of their corporate headquarters a decade ago. The second best part? We stole a lot of their equipment. Hand to god, you see someone bragging about how cheap they got their sexy little cyberlegs at this little chopshop down the street, there's a 1 in 3 chance they were installed with tech we raided from their warehouse. The actual best part? We got away with it. Fletcher was fighting internally over the merger, a lot of guys thought it was too good to be true, and we burned them so bad and covered our tracks so well no one was ever able to bring it back around on us. It was the most unambiguous win of my entire life.
Why did you step back from who you were?
Body started failing on me, obviously. And I didn't stop right when it started, oh no. I'd known for months that my body wasn't dealing with the strain of my cybernetics well, that the irreplaceable parts of my cybergrafts were wearing down, that I just wasn't as quick and as responsive as I used to be. I was rolling with this gang of punkers-college age kids, decked out in little animal genemods that gave them bat ears or snakeskin. Paid me half for security and cracking knowledge, half for the novelty of who I was. Treated me real nice. I won't describe the job in too much detail-ask someone else, everyone heard about it-but we were trying to lift of shipment of helicopter parts from a guarded van, they had this dinky little merc outfit waiting to ambush us, and when the going got tough I just. Sputtered out. Ended up grappling for my life with three roided up pricks in a sinkhole in Old Arcon. Friend picked me up half-dead, sparking, covered in mud and bloodied oil. Most of those young punks weren't nearly so lucky. After that, I more or less retired. This all happened like three years ago.
What do you desperately need?
*Deep inhale* **** sucks, man. I've been doing this for nearly forty years and it feels like everything I've built for this community could crumble in a few weeks if some exec somewhere thought it would make their stock prices rise for a weekend. I just need some sense of...legacy. Like I haven't just been pissing in the wind my whole life.
Other Information
My workshop isn't listed in any directories, but most people in the area know how to find me. I'm close to one of the Ministry's boltholes, right in the middle of what's legally considered a junkyard, and I get a lot of very dramatic customers who swear up and down they can't tell me their names. I've got a proper med station, but most of my tools are for machining, not surgery, so don't come to me for a heart transplant. I've only ever been good at stealing them away.
How familiar are you with Urban Shadows (or PbtA games) in general?
I ran The Sprawl for a few months, played in a few games that fizzled pretty quick. Never done anything with more recent PbtA, but I think I've got an okay feel for the systems.

Last edited by RedSun; May 30th, 2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old May 30th, 2022, 12:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3263
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
SairaSaira Grey - The Wizard

Your Look: Conforming (Female) - Romani - Casual Clothing
right-aligned image

I'm not that tall for someone in their 20s, barely standing at 5'2". I'd be at least partially cybered up if it didn't interfere with my powers. Maybe some day. Thinking maybe an arm first. That'd be great. Heh. Or maybe part of my skull. But that's the future. For now, I'm just a black haired, brown eyed, Romani girl who knows next to nothing about our traditions because of parents who don't understand the importance of the magic we learned. Probably why I have magic and they don't.
I try to do my best to blend in, but I do get my clothes from another Romani Hawker. Don't know if he's telling the truth when he says they're made by other Romani. If they are, I can walk confidently.

Your Demeanor: Beleaguered. I've seen some things. Okay, a lot of things. And they definitely don't make the future look bright. So yeah, I question EVERYTHING. Even if it would benefit me. Maybe some of them can be trusted, you say? Nah. That's inexperience talking.
So maybe I can't walk confidently. Not when I have to skulk about, worrying about everyone turning on me.

Intro Questions:
How did you learn to wield magic?
I was 12. It just kind of started the same time as other things started. So that was fun. Managed to keep it from my parents and...really everyone I could. I mean...it's crazy, right? No one's going to believe you until you start spouting incantations, and that'll get you killed!
How long have you been in the city?
My whole life. My parents raised me in the Transistor Terrace arcology, but I moved out. Couldn't stand the gadjo life, so haven't lived in a place more than a month at a time since. Usually chill with friends.
Wht mistake keeps you up at night?
Oberan (or at least that's what he calls himself, 'a' instead of 'o' and all. I doubt it's his real name. He's some kind of archfae, I think) knew I had magic already. Don't know how, or especially why. Scares me thinking about it. I think it turns him on a little. Really wish it didn't. Keeps me up thinking about how I gave in that one time and did a job for him.
What have you sacrificed for your power?
Friends. Family. I'm sure they want me back, but I'm not gonna live that life anymore now that I'm fully in control of my power.
What conflict are you trying to mediate?
I mean, have you looked around? Something bad is going to happen any day. But you want something specific? It's supposed to be during the next blood moon. Or a blood moon at least. Safer to assume it's the next one. But it can't be good if a powerful fae like Oberan is the only one who can stop the 'wolves from coming into town and making a home for themselves near the arcologies.

Other Information - Sanctum My "sanctum," as you call it, is a veritable magical fortress, but it changes all the time. It has magical booby traps, a library of old tomes, a scattering of ancient relics, and magical wards against practically everything, but it also is tough for me to access given its ever-shifting nature, and it contains secrets unfamiliar even to me. Naturally, I aim to find out all the secrets, but I've only just acquired it from Oberan, who I believe is madly in love with me. Fittingly ironic, given his namesake.

How familiar are you with Urban Shadows (or PbtA games) in general? I've played many PbtA games (and am working on making one...slowly), but never Urban Shadows. It's been recommended to me many times (especially as a fan of The Secret World), so I've kept an eye out for games using the system. Happy to have found one.

Last edited by Ermine; Jun 15th, 2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old May 30th, 2022, 02:40 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1418
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Placeholder while I familiarize myself with the rules.
I was really into William Gibson back in the early-mid ninties and would like to try to capture a more "classic" cyberpunk aesthetic. I'll see what I can spin up.

Application
right-aligned image

Your Name: Andrej "Androog" Woźniac
Choose an Archetype: The Veteran
Your Look: Male, eastern European descent, old skool aesthetic. A polycarbon plate covers the left side of his head where an old neural processor used to be. A newer model is implanted on the back of his neck, at the base of his skull.
Your Demeanor: Crass. Androog yearns for the "good ole days" and is bitter at a world changing faster than he can keep up with.

Intro Questions:
What were you once known for in the city? Being one of⁠—No! Being The Best hacker in the megapolis.
How long have you lived here? Immigrated here as a teen when the commies finally phuq'd Europe.
What was your greatest accomplishment? Hacking a city-sponsored fireworks display to spell "Phuq You Scumbags, Love Androog" in the sky while the speaker system blasted GG Allin.
Why did you step back from who you were? I didn't !! The whole damn world went and rushed by me in a big damn hurry!
What do you desperately need? An end to these migraines. Ever since some Black Ice fried my headgear and fused a chunk of my brain, it's been constant agony.

Other Information:
The Veteran - Describe three features of your Workshop: A small apartment under an assumed name serves as my workshop. An advanced surveillance system monitors the front door, hallway, lobby, back alley, and a few other locations (hint: the girl in 4E has smashing teets), so don't think you can sneak up on me. A suite of high-tech electronics and computers allows me to ply my trade across the city, or even the globe if I cared enough about those craphole countries. Now, maybe you think you're a very clever boy and will break in when I'm not around. Well, good luck azzhole! I doubt you'll be able to find all my deadly booby traps and failsafes. There's a reason I haven't been caught in over 30 years since I've been doing this.

How familiar are you with Urban Shadows (or PbtA games) in general? Familiar with the structure and design of PbtA games; played Blades in the Dark; reading the Urban Shadows quickstart guide.

Last edited by Effete; May 31st, 2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old May 31st, 2022, 03:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
System question: What does it mean to "advance" a move? Like specifically, the Foresight move lets me "advance keep your cool for any or all characters you choose in your presence, including yourself."

Last edited by Ermine; May 31st, 2022 at 06:42 AM.
Old May 31st, 2022, 06:41 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Glad to see all these great apps taking shape.

For advancing a move, if a move is advanced, it adds some new rules that trigger when you hit a 12+ (As opposed to 10+ being the highest tier of success you can roll).

Specifically for Keep your cool, rolling a 12+, indicates that your opposition’s cool is compromised. You would then tell them what it will cost to maintain their current course of action.
Old May 31st, 2022, 08:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Oooh, that sounds fun.

I'll still be making edits, but is there anything anyone would like to see in my application?

Last edited by Ermine; May 31st, 2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old May 31st, 2022, 09:56 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
No, you checked all the boxes.

Once the party has been selected, I will definitely have questions for each character as I flesh out the city.