MutantsAndMasterminds The City of Darkness: Shadowgate Breach - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 4th, 2022, 11:43 AM
The Queen of Ice

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16371
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Is there any reason my character would need to be able to do damage? My current line of thinking about what kind of effects that my fae character would have on the enemy would involve "afflictions", basically emotionally negative and crippling effects. She wouldn't really have any reliable means to "put the beatdown" on something.

So, just a side note about the implementation. There are a lot of emotions and they get pretty complex. I think that I'd have to limit the scope of the alternate abilities by dividing emotional states into broad categories. Conventional wisdom groups them into either 4, 6, 8, or a lot more categories. The four category model includes the states: activated (amusement, interest, anger, and hate), calm (relief, compassion, sadness, and guilt), pleasant (joy, pleasure, contentment, and love), and unpleasant (shame, fear, disappointment, and disgust). That's probably enough to work with. Each of those 4 broad categories would relate to an emotional affliction that she can cause. Activated feelings result in a manic state. Calm could result in drowsiness or sleep. Pleasant produces a euphoric effect - as in not caring what happens around them. Unpleasant could result in fear.

Or she could just cancel forces of nature and go with either the energy controller model, or with a shape-shiftery kind of thing - one arm becomes a long tentacle and she lashes out at things with it.

Or maybe I'll just abandon that idea and just go Vampire, at the risk of creeping everyone out. I've only played a vampire once before and she was pretty wicked. A vampire pixie, now that I recall.

Last edited by girlplay; Jun 4th, 2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 01:20 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34116
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Your on a team do bring the support role is totally feasible. We also could get your character some sort of weapon in game if you feel it’s needed. So you by no means need anything attack power. Honestly any of those would work. You could even have them. Shift between an attack, support, defensive, aoe type of thing. I would make any of your states a negative consequence so much as have some sort of flaw that limits you when your in it. For example of your angry you won’t withdraw without a consequence.

I’ve seen the vampire Fae thing done before honestly I think you emotionally empowered Fae is a much more unique idea no matter how you implement it. If you need ideas for powers look up the War of Light by DC comics it’s all about the emotional spectrum empowering superheroes
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 01:33 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9287
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Im working on my character backstory, but the intent of my build for him is to have a strange mixture of spider man and a spiritualist priest. Powers for mobility, above average durability and strength, and if I can figure it out binding/purifying powers.
Does this seem okay?

Last edited by Runetide; Jun 4th, 2022 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 01:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 127
ProjectLazarus ProjectLazarus
I can tell that the people here are very helpful and I like the workshopping going on here a lot. I'm glad the demon idea is feasible. It's exactly what Avner said that I was thinking -- many stories include recruiting a character who might traditionally be an enemy.

I think, if it's feasible, I'm looking at a strength based close melee build with wings for mobility?

But in terms of concept, I'm still trying to think up a reason for him to be on the mortal plane and to be resistant to demon invasion. I have an idea though it isn't original.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 02:16 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
Im working on my character backstory, but the intent of my build for him is to have a strange mixture of spider man and a spiritualist priest. Powers for mobility, above average durability and strength, and if I can figure it out binding/purifying powers.
Does this seem okay?
Sounds great so far and an interesting combo. Let me know if you have questions.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectLazarus View Post
I can tell that the people here are very helpful and I like the workshopping going on here a lot. I'm glad the demon idea is feasible. It's exactly what Avner said that I was thinking -- many stories include recruiting a character who might traditionally be an enemy.

I think, if it's feasible, I'm looking at a strength based close melee build with wings for mobility?

But in terms of concept, I'm still trying to think up a reason for him to be on the mortal plane and to be resistant to demon invasion. I have an idea though it isn't original.
I think even if you use a trope you can put your own spin on it to keep i interesting. Look at how many versions of specific hero’s there are with the same archetype. Thor and Storm are burn weather control heroes but completely different.

That said you could have him seeking vengeance, banished to another realm, betrayed in a struggle for power, lost, once evil and awakened somehow, cursed or cured of a curse or whatever else you can think of but I would probably define what kind of demon he is first what was he doing before this and who were his allies and enemies then it might be easier.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 02:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Wow. So much to think about. This is great! Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 02:27 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Everyone has some great ideas brewing. Can’t wait to see what you all come up with!
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3522
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Quote:

I would suggest you check out the Paragon and/or Powerhouse archetypes from the core book for general layout for the mechanics of the character you are describing. They are both power level 10 not 8, so some aspects will need to be scaled down.

Are you wanting your character to appear big scary demon all the time or do you want to have a “wolf in sheep’s clothing” cover for your character to where you can at least walk around other people without causing a panic?

For a reason: For an altruistic angle, there is Sparta from the Devil May Cry game series where a demon general fell in love with mortals and the mortal world. Now he fights to keep the demon world at bay while being considered a traitor by the demon world.

For a more selfish angle, he may be a former slave in the demon world wanting to rise up against his suppressors. Such a thing would never succeed in the demon world, but siding with the mortals in the mortal world is the only way he can keep his freedom.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3522
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
Everyone has some great ideas brewing. Can’t wait to see what you all come up with!
Avner, hope you don’t mind but I’m gonna bring back Agent Specter from the dead with some minor tweaks to the backstory to fit this setting. He surprisingly fits this setting with portals and demons well. Gonna instill him in the mage association as one of their Death Mages.

For those who did not play in the Blood of Emeralds game, Agent Specter was a supernatural detective with powers to summon and channel the souls of fallen heroes from the Realm of Waiting to combat evil. He is an investigator inspecting crime scenes and monitor supernatural organizations. He has a headquarters, “The Mausoleum”, that the other PCs could operate out of.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18371
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posting Interest. Working on a Human Hunter with the power to "Compel".
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18642
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
Avner, hope you don’t mind but I’m gonna bring back Agent Specter from the dead.
Hah, funny you should mention that...
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1309
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Quote:

Hi! Well, I can't help with your character concept or reasons, but I put together a very rough shell of a stat build for the items you mention above. This is just a starting point for a level 8 build melee fighter with flight - I looked at the combat restrictions and built to that, then added some advantages that would help for a melee monster. I have not attempted to add any flaws or flowery extras to the powers - that's for you to tailor to your own tastes. I also have not added any subtle or form-changing / other ways to hide the nature of this character as I get the idea from the OP this game does not involve hidden identities or the need to pretend to be a normal human. You might want to add that. I have left 20 points for you to spend on additional skills and advantages to round out how this person might be as an individual.

What you can do is tinker with this, adding here, taking away there, but with an eye constantly on the 120 PP limit. It's just a starting point.

Hope this helps!

DEMON TEMPLATE (PL8)

ABILITIES
STR 4
STA 2
AGI 0
DEX 0
FIGHT 0
INT 0
AWA 0
PRE 2
(TOTAL PP = 16)

SKILLS
Close Combat +6
(TOTAL PP = 3)

ADVANTAGES
All out attack 1
Power Attack 1
Chokehold 1
Improved Crit 1
Improved Grab 1
Improved Initiative 2
Die Hard 1
Fearless 1
Language 1 (Demontongue)
(TOTAL PP = 10)

POWERS - Demonic Form (Innate Magical Powers)
Demonic Talons (+6 STR – total +10 damage in close combat, Multi-attack) 18
Demonic Wings (Flight Rank 5) 10
Demonic Constitution (Grants level 10 immunity including poison, disease, environmental effects, starvation, suffocation, thirst AND +6 Fortitude) 16
Demonic Resistance to Mind Powers (+8 Will) 8
(TOTAL PP = 52)

DEFENSES
Dodge +4 (TOTAL 4)
Parry +4 (TOTAL 4)
Toughness +10 (TOTAL 12)
Fort +0 (TOTAL 8)
Will +0 (TOTAL 8)
Initiative +0 (TOTAL 8)
(TOTAL PP = 18)

Summary: Abilities 16, Skills 3, Advantages 10, Powers 52, Defences 18 = 99
21 left to spend

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Jun 4th, 2022 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Maths out!
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 04:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Wow, jeez that's incredible. Thank you very much. I'm going to have a look over this and see what I can draw up from there.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 05:58 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7303
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sleek-Tribal-Scorpion-Steel.png
Views:	6
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	96122

Name Adam Song

Concept
Human consiousness transferred to scorpion style nanobot colony/swarm. Kind of like the human form replicator from Stargate SG1.

Comic by line
You can kill Adam and leave his body to burn.
Destroy him, but you know Adam will return.

Restriction
Whilst Adam is functionally immortal, anything that is an EMP or causes an EMP effect, can kill him permanently.

Age 22

Appearance and Personality A youngish Asian chap. Brown eyes. Untidy appearance, as he hasn't really been keeping care. Clothes are one step away from being rags.
He tries to avoid human contact as much as possible, given he's afraid he might be forced to kill. Adam is generally quiet and contemplative, in contrast to his previous personality of being spoiled and the life of the party.
However his human appearence is the lie. Adam is now a human consiousness, residing in a construct of a scorpion nanobot colony. To the naked human eye it appears like a grey dust cloud. To those whom can see at a smaller level, it's millions of silver scorpion nanobots.

Background
Adam was born to wealthy parents, the youngest son of two. His elder brother, Jacob, was brilliant, even at a young age. Adam was not brilliant, instead growing up to be a party animal, whilst Jacob went into the family tech business.
Their parents died in a car accident, leaving Jacob solely in charge of the business, as well as administrating Adam's trust fund. He took little time on putting a tighter rein on Adam's spending.
Despite this, Adam still developed a drug problem, in and out of rehab many times over the years, even as Jacob's star rose.
Jacob was brilliant, and he was unmatched when it came to inventing new tech. Lauded as a modern day Teela or Einstein, Jacob was revelling in his new found fame. There was only one problem. The continual embarrassment that was Adam.
Adam was arrested for the fifth time for possession. Jacob got him out of it. Started being nice to Adam, which really should have been a warning sign. Inviting Adam back to his penthouse apartment, for a private celebratory drink. Suspecting nothing, Adam accepted. Right up to the point the sedative knocked him out, Adam thought Jacob was being nice.
Awakening Adam found himself chained to an altar. Jacob came out masked, and in some sort of ceremonial robes, but Adam knew it was him. Then it got really strange. An Arachnid headed humanoid appeared out of nowhere. At first Adam thought it was a mask. Until it spoke, and it was clear that it was inhuman. As the demon spoke, the horrifying truth of Jacob was revealed.
Jacob was bright but not as brilliant as people were led to believe. He had been sacrificing people to the demon who went by Scorpio, in return for technological advances.
Now he was trading Adam for an ultimate advancement. Nanotechnology. Orbs appeared, one empty, the other filled with a grey swirling mist. Excited, Jacob plunged a dagger into Adam's heart, killing him.
Death was not the end. Adam's soul was sucked into the empty orb, whilst Jacob took possession of the full orb. Only as an afterthought he asked Scorpio what he was going to do with Adam's soul. Looking amused the demon merely stated. This
Scorpio merged both orbs, fusing Adam's consciousness and soul to the nanobots. Adam would have screamed, if he had been capable of voicing it at that time. He was one, he was many. So many. It nearly broke his mind. Until a given command from Scorpio restored order. "Adam, kill your brother."
Despite everything Jacob had done to him, Adam still tried to resist. Unfortunately the will of Scorpio was iron. The one whom was now many, descended upon the man who's reach exceeded his grasp. Mercifully Adam doesn't remember too much of it, other than the aftermath of bloody bones. Scorpio forced Adam back into his "human" form, and so formally began Adam's enslavement.
Taking Jacob's form, Scorpio replaced him as head of the business. The demon was a technomancer, and interested in unholy fusions of magic and technology. Access to Jacob's resources, allowed him to experiment beyond his wildest dreams.
Adam was used by Scorpio as a murder weapon. If anyone got too close to finding out what Scorpio was up to, Adam was sent to murder the problem. If Scorpio discovered a potential rival or enemy, Adam was sent to deal with it. Thus Adam discovered that mages, fae, werewolves and vampires were real. If Adam tried to subvert his orders in anyway, Scorpio would punish him by making him murder innocents.
So Adam had a truly miserable existence, a slave to a merciless demon. Until one day Scorpio finally made a mistake. He had used Adam so much, the man had become exposed to a group. The Magnus Verita. They ambushed him, and Adam was happy. Maybe they could kill him and free his soul from this technological terror. He was to be disappointed. The eldest of them, a grandmothery figure he came to know as Araminta, approached him. She was able to put a stop to Scorpio accessing Adam remotely, but she couldn't remove any in person control Scorpio might have.
To have some modicum of freedom returned to him, was more than Adam could have hoped for. Seeing the Magnus Veritas were probably his best bet for revenge on Scorpio, Adam starts to work with them.

It's complicated.
Motive. Adam lives in hope of finding a way to kill Scorpio, even if it leads to his own death.

Control. Scorpio has a method of control over Adam, which he can use at any time to force Adam to do his bidding.

People want him dead. Scorpio used him to kill rivals. People affiliated with the victims don't know Adam had no choice in the matter. Adam has various groups after him.

Harsh reality
Yolanda bit her lip as she cowered behind cover. So far her quest to avenge her parents death was going badly. The last of her fellow hunters just died. It was only a matter of time before the demonically possessed security team encircled her, and she went the way of the dodo.
Adam watched unnoticed by all just now. He sees the young hunter. In another life he would have probably have hit on her by now. However that life was long gone, his soul condemned to this metallic hell. Briefly he wondered if she was connected to the dark business Scorpio was having. Maybe he could save her, and some good could come of this. Time to make himself known.
Yolanda heard screams, which abruptly stopped. Looking up she saw a young Asian male, knee deep in the dead, seemingly untouched by the carnage. "Who the hell are you?"
Raising his hands in surrender. "Adam. I'm sorry about your friends. But you should go. Leave the rest to me."
"Like hell I will, Bruce Lee, because that's the only way you could have killed those bad demons. Besides I ain't going anywhere until the devil that murdered my parents is in the ground."
Recognition then resignation dawned on Adam's face. "I'm not exactly human anymore, but nobody's perfect. If you follow me, I won't stop you. Nothing good can come of it. You got a name?"
"Yolanda Jones. I'm getting a sense you understand what I'm going through, so I'm choosing to trust you." Yolanda said with a strong trace of defiance.
Adam sighed. "I hope that doesn't turn out to be unwise."
Entering the building they encountered practically no resistance. Apparently most of the security had been sent to deal with the hunters. The few remnants were no match for Yolanda's shotgun, or Adam's everything. One freaky power later, Yolanda levels her shotgun at Adam. "What the hell are you?"
Adam looked wearily at her. "I think you nearly answered your own question. My brother murdered me as part of a deal he made with a demon for technology. Only the demon tricked him, and put my soul into this machine. Machines really, but that's not important. You don't really need to know anymore than that. Here for same reason you are."
Yolanda looked coldly at him. "I think the demon is controlling you. Why he using you to kill his own kind?"
Adam shrugged. "I gave up trying to understand him. Mostly I think it's threat removal. Sometimes just because he can. Which is why I'm begging you to turn back. He could flip a switch and I'd turn on you without any choice." Adam pleaded with her. Hoping against hope she'd listen. She didn't. "No dice, player. I came here to do a job. If I don't see it through, then the people that died here, died for nothing." Adam and Yolanda walked in silence the rest of the way.
At the very top, in a luxurious office, the demon waited. It didn't even try to hide it's demonic form. Snarling in rage it leapt over the desk, and punched Adam in the chest. It was immensely surprised to find it's arm drawn into the man, and the chest was acting like a woodchipper on his arm, completely shredding it. As the demon howled in pain, Yolanda chose to give it both barrels of the shotgun to the head. Skull shattered, the body fell down dead.
Adam did not have time to celebrate. Scorpio's voice filled his head. Kill the girl. No witnesses. Adam managed to let out an anguished "Yolanda run! I can't stop him." Yolanda listened, dropped a flashbang, and ran. Incapacitated for few moments, Adam recovered and pursues her. He's able to track her by her heat. However she's able to duck into an elevator before he can reach her. Becoming the many, the swarm, Adam only needs a tiny spot to seek through into the shaft. Drips onto the elevator, seeps through the hatch. Reforms into Adam. Only to realise Yolanda has played him when she raises a detonator, and uses it to set off the c4 she must of frantically placed. Adam smiles as he he embraces temporary death, temporary freedom from Scorpio.

Last edited by Acathala; Jun 28th, 2022 at 03:00 AM.