MutantsAndMasterminds The City of Darkness: Shadowgate Breach - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 4th, 2022, 06:31 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34116
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
Hah, funny you should mention that...
You can both feel free to bring them back. Just tweek them to the setting.

Old Jun 4th, 2022, 07:39 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7303
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
You wouldn't see any text Avner, as I'm going with one of my favourite apps that never got picked, but it needs a few revisions both story wise, and mechanically.
Whilst I have you, are aliens a thing in your setting? My guy's origin involves being experimented on by one. It's something I can change, but would make life easier for me if there are.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 07:51 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18371
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Acathala actually spawns a good general question for this game:

Are there any restrictions on the "Origin" of our characters supernatural abilities? (Origin as per the M&M thinking)
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 10:10 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23347
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Character Application
left-aligned image

Name or Alias: John Doe

Character Concept: An Amnesiac Necromancer whose secrets might save the world, or end it even faster.

Abilities: Physically he’s a mere human, and one whose explicit memories only go back a few months at that. Which makes what he has going for them all the more mysterious. John Doe may not remember how he got the knowledge but he definitely has the knowledge of an experienced sorcerer, particularly one that specialized in the forbidden magic of Necromancy. He also appears to be one of the world’s only known natural Mediums. Which magical talent came first is up for debate.

Comic Byline: Come With Me And Walk The Longest Mile

Complications: John Doe isn’t just a pun based on his abilities, he really is an amnesiac with no memory of his past beyond a few months ago. He does seem to remember facts and knowledge, to the point where he’ll even catch many pop culture references on top of rather expensive and impressive arcane knowledge, but his own life is a complete blank to him.

John Doe has been told by the Magnus Veritas that his lack of memory and abilities come from being the last known victim of the experiments of a powerful undead mage known as the Dread Lich Ebzogac. This was actually a lie. The Magnus Veritas is actually watching him much closer then he realizes, and if John Doe ever discovers the truth about his condition the Magnus Veritas itself will quickly and gladly dispose of him.

Description/Character Portrait: Not bad, for a dead man. John Doe has black hair that he's let grow a little bit to hide a nasty scar over his left temple and blue eyes. He also probably could stand to shave a little more often but just a little. He looks about average, enough that when he puts on the charm he does tend to get results. He does tend to prefer nondescript clothing or nice suits but mostly just to go with his image as the a man who is legally dead - or legally never existed bizarrely enough.

Affiliation: John Doe believes that he's a guest and in the care of the Magnus Veritas, in treatment for his strange and clearly magical affliction. Officially the last victim of the experiments of the Dread Lich Ebzogac, he has suffered from complete personal memory loss but seems to have somehow stolen a large portion of the Lich's powers. He shouldn't trust Magnus Veritas, they're holding more secrets from him that if he ever figures them out the whole organizations will come down him like a hammer, but for now...

Backstory: The Magnus Veritas, the Great Order of Mages. The Global Body of Magic Users who exist to enforce Order on Magic and to protect both it and the rest of the world from Magic. They've been around since at least the Dark Ages and among the first things they did was lead great campaigns to dethrone the Sorcerer-Kings of Old. To banish Magic and the Supernatural to the realm of Folktales and Stories. And among their first Enemies was the Sorcerer-King that would be known as the Dread Lich Ezbogac.

The Lich, a creature of pure Hate and Evil. A Magic User who became so enthralled in the quest for Power that they sacrificed even their own Humanity, becoming an undead monster of Highest Magic. The first of the Wizard Wars between the Magnus Veritas and the Dread Liches would be wars unlike anything the world has ever seen before or since, but ultimately the Magnus Veritas would come out victorious, mostly because the Liches while more powerful couldnt work together nearly as well. There's still a few of them left, among the magical gifts of the Liches is the ability to move their souls into other objects for safe-keeping and if you kill a Lich without destroying the object the Lich will come back in time. Ezbogac was one of them, a Lich that managed to keep his Soul-Jar hidden even from the Magnus Veritas.

They still don't know where Ezbogac's Soul-Jar is exactly, but the first of the recent string of breaches of the Shadowgate happened at seemingly the same time Ezbogac was slain. And this time, Ezbogac didn't just reconstitute himself as a Lich - this time Ezbogac appears to have fully resurrected as a mortal human, his magical signature is weaker then it was before but the flavor is as clear as day. Interestingly, Ezbogac appears to have not only come back Alive but with no memories of the centuries of his existance.

You read that correctly. The Magnus Veritas tells John Doe he was just the last victim of Ezbogac's cruel experiments - but the truth is that as far as they can tell John Doe *is* the Dread Lich Ezbogac, just somehow this time the Lich-Reconstitution Process went wrong and he resurrected as a living human instead. And all this seems to be connected with the Shadowgate.

Somewhere in John Doe's head is the Arcane Knowledge, Experience, Skills, and Spells of a Millenia-Old Lich bent on World Domination and Omnicide. The Magnus Veritas even believes that somewhere in his head might be the key to fixing the whole Shadowgate Crisis, they recovered much of Ezbogac's writings and research and while it's mostly in a language that died centuries ago it seems to be relevent. Unfortunately, this means that somewhere in John Doe's head is Ezbogac's Memories.

What's going to happen when John Doe starts to Remember he *is* the Dread Lich Ezbogac? Pray we never find out.

Writing Sample:
Burger RunThe bathroom was cleaner than you’d expect for a place called Bronto Burger, but it was still the special type of filthy that only cheap burger joints can be. The place was obviously designed to cash in on families leaving the natural history Museum about a block over, and it was pretty obvious that was about all the thought that went into it. This time of night the museum closed hours ago and the burger joint wasn’t going to be far behind it but it was nice to get out. Still, the bathroom was clean enough that he could try to wash his hands and make progress.

John felt it before he heard it. Like a sudden gust of wind made of air entirely from old attics. Someone just died, someone physically close. The distinct sound of a fire spell being cast follows before John can make it to the door.

He had just wanted to eat out, someplace off the base. Magnus Veritas ultimately granted the request as long as at least three other agents went with him. Supposedly for his own protection. It struck him as a bit extreme but he went with it. He thought it might be nice to have the company.

Agent Rernard was already dead. Half of his throat was just bitten off one go. John got to the scene just in time to watch Agent Schlagzeug die roughly the same way, feeling the attic air wind. Agent Lee raised one of her hands to try another spell, John didn’t stay to watch the results. He shouted out “Spelleater” as a warning as he turned to run but he’s not even sure if she heard him let alone heeded the warning. The creatures, things that kind of look like crosses between wolves and octopi, squared off to take down another mage.

Hounds of Addaj. He doesn’t remember why he remembers that’s what they’re called, but that he remembers. Predatory hunters, practically beasts. What made them terrifying was their ability to eat magic. Casting spells directly at them only made them stronger, and of the spell was big enough they’d actually multiply. They would take a few seconds to hungrily devour the corpses of those mages but they had John scent. It would just be a matter of time before they came for him, not a lot of time either. Bursting out into the back alley behind the burger joint, a rough idea comes. It’s stupid, but it is the best he’s got. He turns west, and starts to run.

The lock on the gate falls to a quick decay spell, just as the sounds of the hounds giving chase is loud enough that he can’t deny that they are real anymore. He figured they would chase him. A mage would smell more appetizing than a normal human to a Hound of Addaj. Sometimes he hates being right. Ahead is his first lucky break, the loading dock doors were open. Not so lucky for the workers.

RUN!

John didn’t watch the results. He caught that at least some of them did run, and he caught the looks in their eyes as they saw the creatures. Maybe they got lucky and the hounds just weren’t interested in normal humans. Maybe he got lucky and in the confusion of the moment the hounds were slowed down for a few seconds. He doubted it, but maybe.

He made it to The Dinosaur Hall of the Natural History Museum first, The pouncing and the Howls of the hounds seem to be right over his shoulders and neck. The spell is rushed, and heavy. You can’t cast spells directly at a Hound of Addaj but maybe, maybe…

The first Hound of Addaj that enters the hall immediately has its head crushed flat by a skeletal brontosaurus. The Magnus Veritas wasn’t gonna like this…

BONUS
Character Connections:
Weaver - "...I can see it. You're not human, are you? Not on the inside."
Angelika - "Why do I feel I should remember you? Have we met?"
Venus - "Finally, someone relatively normal. Heh. The bosses, am I right?"
Herr Jerome - *John doesn’t remember Jerome at all, but Herr Jerome and Ezbogac have fought each other in the past.*
Grayson - “…You learned Witchcraft to hit people with it? I don’t whether I am supposed to be flabbergasted or impressed.
Sibyl - “What? Why are you staring at me like that?
Bin Gyeong-Suk - “Why does it feel like we’ve met?
Irae - *Possibly the most unsettling thing about John was that it's easy to imagine that Ezbogac was always this Inhuman force of Evil. The truth though is that the first time he was alive, over a thousand years ago, Ezbogac started a basically good person who learned Magic to defend his family and help his community. He just slowly, bit by bit, started making comprimises and stepping over lines he thought were needed to get more and more power. Irae is actually the latest reincarnation of Ezbogac's wife from before he became a Lich. When exactly he became truly Evil is disturbingly hard to say but when he became a Dread Lich he sacrificed her for Power, and she's been cruelly trapped in a cycle of Death and Rebirth ever since. John has absolutely no memory of any of this.*

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Jun 28th, 2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 10:27 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18642
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Here you go.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 10:37 PM

Tools
User Statistics
As of yet there are no aliens in this world. There will probably be some illithid themed horror type elements down the line, but nothing anyone has been exposed to yet. Definitely nothing in spaceships or little green men, klingon, gungan or otherwise.

Most of your characters would be familiar with the other supernatural elements of the world (Vampires, Werewolves, Fae, ect) but the Shadowgate is a bit of a mystery. It has spawned some demons and shadow creatures but has been relatively contained until recently. Outside of the demon origin there wouldn't be anything directly tied to the gate.

In terms of anything in a traditional Supernatural world however it would be fair game. I know some apps in progress will be channelling ghosts or spirits which totally fits. Golems, vampires, fae, hunters, experiments, government agents, superheroes , rich playboy philanthropists all work. Just remember you are fighting horrors alongside monsters of the night so you probably need to justify how you got there if you have a background full of ignorance and light-hearted responsibility.

I will say this is a 'mature setting' (still PG-13) but more adult hunters than any adolescence so no characters under the age of 18.

If you have a specific question please ask it.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 10:38 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
Here you go.
You beat me to it
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 11:55 PM
The Queen of Ice

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16371
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Application WIP
right-aligned image

Name: Angelika

Character Concept: A vengeful fae creature given form by the wrongful death of a German heiress in 1863 Hamburg. A vigilante fae cat with wonderous powers.

Power Level: PL 8
Powers: Speed, leap, shrinking, walk through solid objects, fall without damage, telepathy, energized bite (maybe an alternate as a breath weapon), concealment, enhanced senses.

Abilities: Most stats will have a "2", in her innate form. Stamina = 1, dexterity = 0, fighting = 0, and presence = 0.

Quotes: Meow. Purrrr. Growl. You Humans are very strange creatures, aren't you?

Complications (2):
  • Legendary killer: Angelika has not learned yet to not kill wicked creatures. Not every criminal or beast deserves death, or so they say.
  • Limits of being a cat: Angelika has no opposable thumb or voice box capable of speech. Being a cat in a Human world can be difficult.

Description/Character Portrait: In her natural form, Angelika is very similar to a panther-like cat - sleek and quiet and deadly. However, she can change size all the way down to a kitten to pass for something much more harmless than she is.

Affiliation: She serves a member of the Autumn Court faithfully: a dark entity called Polinatham, whose goals are often obfiscated.

Backstory: Angelika was once a free fae, formless and playful, and lived in relative innocence and freedom. Yet, she heard the cries of desperation, pain, and revenge from the Countess Michaela Scoringa. Angelika found herself solid and static for the first time, and full of vengeance. Stalking the men who burned down the Countess' estate (with the countess inside), she killed each person responsible in turn over the next 2 years. In the end, she had to track down the wicked murderers fairly far afield as they had fled when they realized what was happening. With her "calling" completed, she returned to the fae and entered the service of a master on the Autumn Court where she was used as a spy and assassin for many decades.

Character Connections
Angelika is current the partner of a (mostly) Human man named Eric. Officially, she is his handler and assigned to keep a close eye on him, to make sure he doesn't step over the wrong lines. Practically, they have been together long enough to consider each other a partner and daresay, a friend. (Player: Saratek)

John Doe: "If I told you all of the rumors that I've heard about you, then your head would probably explode."

Last edited by girlplay; Jun 18th, 2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 12:06 AM
The Queen of Ice

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16371
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Avner: Okay, more questions.

First, I realized that my character is not going to be "dark" enough as I was picturing her. I'll need to reconsider and go a bit more Unseelie.

Questions:

1) Do our characters have to be "humanoid"? I know there's a demon and a spider-spirit, and we can't be aliens. But what about... a Fae cat or serpent? Basically, an awakened animal with some fae-inspired powers. Fae creatures are often something different "underneath", even if they can pass for Human.

2) Are there powers that are off-limits or considered susceptible to abuse?

3) Will the game be set in what is more-or-less present day?
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 12:41 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Just need to finish the writing sample and I'm too sleepy to finish it now.

Otherwise app seems good, Comments and Critique Welcome.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 01:01 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7303
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 01:35 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
And done, I think. The mages can do memory charms, right?
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 08:00 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
Avner: Okay, more questions.

Questions:

1) Do our characters have to be "humanoid"? I know there's a demon and a spider-spirit, and we can't be aliens. But what about... a Fae cat or serpent? Basically, an awakened animal with some fae-inspired powers. Fae creatures are often something different "underneath", even if they can pass for Human.

2) Are there powers that are off-limits or considered susceptible to abuse?

3) Will the game be set in what is more-or-less present day?

1) There is a certain aspect of not letting the general populace know that there is a shadow war of things they thing just come from folktales happening right under their noses, so on some level your character would need to keep up the lie. If you can justify that in some way being non-humanoid could work. Obviously if there is a demon walking around that is something that already needs to be considered but having one character that needs to hide would be different than having an entire group of them.

2) Variable always is a last resort to me. Most of the time there is a better way to do it using something like morph that is already there. If we can't find something it will need to be well defined. Mind control and time powers are also ones that I would probably pose some heavy limits on as they can effect the overall story pretty quickly, although in this case there are justifications for why they wouldn't be as effective.

3) Yes pretty much it will be present day in regard to technology and everything else.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 08:03 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
And done, I think. The mages can do memory charms, right?
Indeed. Flashy thingy magic is a thing.

Old Jun 6th, 2022, 08:21 AM

Tools
User Statistics