MutantsAndMasterminds The City of Darkness: Shadowgate Breach - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Hostile AI

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4422
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
Runetide is right, that's a good candidate for alternate form. You could throw on a modifier like Unreliable (sometimes you can't shift) or Uncontrolled (the GM gets control of your power). Both? Both could be fun. Or just make it a complication.

If you want powers to exist in both your forms at once, just buy them as normal. Only wolf form, put them in the alternate form. Only human... why do you have "human" powers? If you really need them, maybe do an alternate effect (+1 pt) to your alternate form.

But the system has a whole lot of options to make it just how you want. Dynamic arrays, metamorph, you name it. I'd say just decide on your brand of werewolf (uncontrolled monster, dynamic shifter, two-faced fighter, hairy strong man) and then worry about how to fix it all up.

Last edited by AlphaZ; Jun 8th, 2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 08:19 PM
The Queen of Ice

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16371
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Hi again! I have a solid first draft completed. I may take a few more passes at it to refine the application. But I'm basically "done". Comments, critiques, and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by girlplay; Jun 8th, 2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 10:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 127
ProjectLazarus ProjectLazarus
@Avner, do you have any in-game rules or lore set up surrounding werewolf packs, or werewolf relationships with the Magnus Veritas?
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 09:36 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1309
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Jun 9th, 2022 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8438
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
@Avner in case my questions got lost here is the link<---

Last edited by lydklein; Jun 9th, 2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 10:36 AM
Hostile AI

Tools
User Statistics
I'd better go ahead and put my thoughts down here so they stop cluttering up my head.

Complete, Draft 2
right-aligned image
Name: Aaron Greyson
Character Concept: Magically enhanced warlock brawler
Abilities: Enhanced strength and durability, minor mobility, hex punches
Quote or Comic Byline: "Witchcraft isn't dangerous. Unless you're an idiot."
Complications: They haven't spoken in years. They don't hate each other, they're just not close.Estranged Father, It's complicated. Vampires do love their drama.Vampire Girlfriend, The Magnus Veritas doesn't generally allow witchcraft, but they have a special arrangement.On Probation, If you push his buttons just right, he can really ruin a dinner party.Temper, Hexography can be risky.Witchcraft
Affiliation: Magnus Veritas member (probationary)
Description: Aaron is tall, handsome, well-groomed and well-dressed, with piercing eyes and gentle lines that suggest the beginning of middle age. He carries himself like a man who doesn't care and doesn't have to. Like he might trade your soul for a cigarette, if he really needs a cigarette. Beyond that, there's something slightly uncanny about him that makes it uncomfortable to look directly at him, but just as uncomfortable to look away.

Character Connections:
"My father doesn't like Venus. It's mutual I'm sure. I don't think she likes me much either. I won't give her my books."
"Weaver unsettles me, but I do love his work. And I mean, at least he isn't a cat. But I swear if he tries to 'mend' one more of my hexographs..."

Last edited by AlphaZ; Jun 18th, 2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 12:50 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9287
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Okay so I think I'm done. I've included my character build in a spoiler, so I'd appreciate some feedback both from other players and the GM on the build.

Basically, he has a fair number of skills and a relatively mortal body. His always available powers give him mobility for the most part, and then he has an array of 'spirit spinning' powers that he can switch between as needed, etc. I tried to go for a blend of Shinto priest-seeming stuff and spider spirit things. I will note that he has one attack power, but it requires him to have already attached a 'thread' to the desired target. Which is more of a set up and take down style of fighting. The thread thing is a recurring theme through his build.

The one power I'm 'concerned' about is his Rift Weaving, which at least how I've envisioned it, should let him stitch closed an open gate or rift, but with their power level I don't think that he'd be able to close any of the super big ones on his own. If this power wouldn't work as I thought it would in regards to closing portals, please let me know what I could do instead please?
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34116
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectLazarus View Post
@Avner, do you have any in-game rules or lore set up surrounding werewolf packs, or werewolf relationships with the Magnus Veritas?
The werewolfs act mostly as guardians of the natural world, which lends them to conflict with vampires from time to time as they consider them unnatural predators that unchecked would disrupt the balance of nature. Vampires tend to stick to cities and largely populated areas more concerned with politics and power than the others. They have their own governing order that ensures knowledge of them stays secret while they acquire influnce through manipulation and positions of power. Since they Shadowgate has been more active there is a tentative unspoken truce between them.

The Mages oversee all supernaturals and make sure they do not expose the supernatural world. They do not hunt them as much as keep it in check. They work closest with the hunters but maintain relationships with everyone and often are looked to for their vast libraries of historical supernatural knowledge.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18371
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
@Avner: Would it be unlikely (or impossible) to stumble upon a "fledgling" vampire attacking and feeding on a mortal due to hunger/lack of guidance from an older vampire (perhaps the one that "embraced" the fledgling)?

Was planning on using that idea for my writing sample.

Old Jun 9th, 2022, 02:10 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratek View Post
@Avner: Would it be unlikely (or impossible) to stumble upon a "fledgling" vampire attacking and feeding on a mortal due to hunger/lack of guidance from an older vampire (perhaps the one that "embraced" the fledgling)?

Was planning on using that idea for my writing sample.
Totally Possible.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 02:21 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydklein View Post
@Avner- What is the relationship between the Fae, Vampires, Werewolves and Human Hunters with each other in this world?
Sorry I missed your question but Im circling back now.

So I explained how Vampires, Werewolves, and Mages work.

Hunters generally are just mortals who have become aware of the things that go bump in the night and are actively trying to hunt them or at least keep them in check. Just like anything else there is going to be an array of types and organizations of hunters from a group of locals and lonewolves to clandestine government organizations. Some make work with the 'good' creatures but some might have more of a blind prejudice.

Fae are very special in that they are so unique not just from the other creatures but from each other as well. The Fae are organized into four courts representing the seasons Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring with different creatures being involved in each. Fae generally steel clear of Vampires because they are pretty addictive when it comes to feeding. Werewolves and Fae get along pretty well and a lot of Hunters may leverage Fae for supernatural info but some others may not trust them at all.

Old Jun 9th, 2022, 05:25 PM
Hostile AI

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
I'd appreciate some feedback... on the build.
Your black thread/traveling thread don't seem to really do anything besides enable your other powers, which is better as a modifier (Activation?) on the other powers rather than as its own power. If you want a thread power I'd do a Move Object power, Continuous, Permanent, Limited: grab & drag, Reversible. Thread would just be your descriptor.

Your Rift Binding is a nullify, which I believe works on specific descriptors. So it would be better written as Nullify (dimenional). Coincidentally, Your Rift Weaving would probably work best as the same (a dimensional portal being a dimensional Movement effect with the Portal modifier). So I'd combine those.

Your Shape of Uttu makes you small, and makes you *look* like a spider, but that part is just an illusion. You'll actually just be a tiny man. If you want to actually *be* a spider, you probably need to add Metamorph to that.

Thread Detonation could have Grab-Based rather than Limited: target threaded if you do the Move Object thread effect.

Last edited by AlphaZ; Jun 9th, 2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8438
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Thank you! Appreciate the info.

Last edited by lydklein; Jun 10th, 2022 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9287
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Thanks for the pointers. Ill fiddle.
Fiddling is here:
New BuildWeaver - PL 8

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 4, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence -2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Benefit, Athletics Based on Agility, Defensive Roll 8, Evasion 2, Favored Environment: Urban, Fearless, Languages 1, Prone Fighting, Tracking

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 2 (+6), Close Combat: ???? 8 (+8), Expertise: Spiritualism 8 (+8), Insight 2 (+4), Perception 8 (+10), Ranged Combat: Threads 8 (+10), Sleight of Hand 2 (+4), Stealth 4 (+8)

Powers
Self-Marionette
. . Leaping: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
. . Speed: Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
Spider's Blessing: Movement 4 (Safe Fall, Swinging, Wall-crawling 2: full speed)
Spirit Spinner
. . Black Thread: Cumulative Mind Reading 8 (thread, mystic, DC 18; Cumulative; Grab-based, Limited to Surface Thoughts)
. . Blue Thread: Insubstantial 2 (thread, mystic, Gaseous; Affects Others, Affects Others Only, Increased Duration: continuous)
. . Gold Thread: Healing 8 (thread, mystic; Energizing, Persistent; Activation 2: standard action, Distracting)
. . Green Thread: Nullify 8 (thread, mystic, Counters: Dimensional, DC 18; Broad, Precise, Simultaneous; Activation: move action, Side Effect: on failure - Two degrees of failure causes backlash (Damage check=Nullify rank))
. . Red Thread: Affliction 8 (thread, mystic, 1st degree: Hindered, Fatigued, 2nd degree: Immobile, Exhausted, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Extra Condition; Grab-based, Limited Degree)
. . Shape of Uttu
. . . . Shrinking: Shrinking 5 (mystic, -1 STR, -2 Intimidate, +5 Stealth, +2 active defenses, -1 size rank; Permanent)
. . . . Spider Shape: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form; Metamorph)
. . Spider's Stillness: Concealment 4 (mystic, Sense - Hearing, Sense - Sight, Sense - Smell; Blending, Passive)
. . Yellow Thread: Comprehend 3 (thread, mystic, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood, Spirits - Communicate; Affects Others, Increased Range: ranged, Sustained)
Spiritual Spinnerettes: Move Object 4 (threads, mystic, 800 lbs.; Affects Insubstantial: half ranks, Increased Duration: continuous, Reversible; Limited: Grab/Drag, Noticeable: Colored glowing 'threads')
Thread Detonation: Damage 8 (mystic, DC 23; Penetrating 8; Grab-based, Limited: Using this destroys any threads on the target)

Offense
Initiative +4
Black Thread: Cumulative Mind Reading 8 (DC Will 18)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
Green Thread: Nullify 8, +2 (DC Will 18)
Red Thread: Affliction 8, +0 (DC Will 18)
Spiritual Spinnerettes: Move Object 4, +2 (DC 14)
Thread Detonation: Damage 8, +0 (DC 23)
Throw, +2 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Complications
Motivation: Responsibility: Weaver was tasked by Uttu, the mother weaver, to patch the holes in the veil between Shadowgate and the spirit realm. Weaver had not developed enough self-determinism to even consider straying from that cause, and he might not even if he had it.
Power Loss: Spiritual sealing. As a spider spirit possessing a soulless living body, Weaver is just as succeptible to sealing as other spirits, except instead of binding it into uselssness, it simply prevents him from using any external powers.

Languages
Ancient Sumerian, English

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 0, Fortitude 5, Toughness 8/0, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 12 + Powers 55 + Advantages 18 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 120

Last edited by Runetide; Jun 9th, 2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 06:30 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23347
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Comments and Critique for John Doe is welcome, do you want something Mechanical @Anver?