Other Star Trek Adventures: To Boldly Go - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 12th, 2022, 01:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25934
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Star Trek Adventures: To Boldly Go

Game NameStar Trek Adventures: To Boldly Go
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeA 5 year journey to seek out new life and new...
FlavourThe year is 2371 - TNG Era
Plot Summary
It's morning aboard a new Norway Class Star ship, The USS Tomoe Gozen, designation NCC 62643. Having completed trials two weeks ago, you accepted your assignment and left the Sol shipyards on the ship's maiden voyage a week ago. You are one of the senior officers on board with this newly assembled crew. The ship's course is currently headed to a point just beyond the Tzenkethi Coalition to slow its speed and begin its mission in this mostly uncharted area of space close to, and even entering the Gamma Quadrant.

The Game
Your GM: I've been GMing/DMing games for over 25 years, and online play-by-post since 2001. I've RP'd in and GM'd several SCI-FI games during this time ( a few on this site) that include, BSG and Firefly Cortex Games, Mechwarrior, Star Wars d6 and d20, and most recently Traveller. I am not very familiar with this 2d20 system, but it has grown on me after I saw the free stuff and purchased the Core Rule book.

# of Players: Accepting 6 players. Openings are for the following (only one character will be chosen per role):

ROLE Description
Commanding Officer (Captain of the ship)
Executive Officer (or First officer, the captain’s second in-command. They may have other duties as well as serving as executive officer)
Chief of Security/Chief Tactical Officer (head of the security department and responsible for the safety of the crew, also responsible for ship weaponry, defenses and tactics)
Chief Medical Officer (responsible for the health and well-being of the crew)
Operations Officer (responsible for ship’s operations, monitoring ship systems)
Chief Engineer (maintains the functionality of the ship, assigning crew for repair and service)
Chief Science Officer (head of the science department on the ship, responsible for analysis and research)
Note: The one role not filled by one of the 6 chosen will be filled by an NPC. This will both allow and encourage other players to step in and take a supporting NPC character role for a short time during an encounter in which the Senior officer role not chosen may be needed.

Lone wolf, or "Assassin" type characters will have no place on this crew. That said - Personalities, cultural differences, and character beliefs will clash and these things are what add to and enhance RP. In the end though, it all comes down to a respect for other players and their creations. Having just said that, I will say that good writing skills, story flow, and imagination will win out every time.

Rulebook: I will be using the 'Star Trek Adventures Core Rule Book' published by Modiphus Entertainment. If you do not have this material, a quickstart guide can be obtained AT THIS LINK for free. Any other pertinent information needed to create a character, I can provide from the Core Rule book once the 6 applicants are chosen.

Starting Level: Young, or Experienced Officer

Time to Submit An Application: I'll keep this open until I at least have more than the # of apps needed for each role, or more likely, midnight CST on Saturday July 9th. This is just a guide, not in stone if interest is there.

Posting Schedule/Frequency: I've tried to keep to a decent GM posting schedule, sort of a loose sliding window, and I'd say it works 20% of the time at best. So, I'll leave it up to the players that are accepted, but 7-8 days is usually the maximum time I'll agree to go between GM posts that are needed to move things along. I reserve the right to post more often for flavor and for one or more players doing something apart from others. However, If the players all post on a quicker schedule, I'll post as soon as I can to keep up.

STORYLINE: It is an exciting time in Starfleet’s history — Earth Year 2371. The U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D will be sent on a mission to the Amargosa observatory, U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656 is about to be sent on a mission into the Badlands to search for a Maquis ship, and the U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205 has been assigned to Commander Sisko at Deep Space 9 to assist in the search for the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant.

Elsewhere, the fragile peace with the Klingon Empire could be jeopardized. Ambassador Spock tries to bring reunification with Vulcans to the Romulans while the Romulans, in turn, plan to join with the Cardassians in a preemptive strike against the Dominion threat.

You have been assigned to a starship but not - so far - caught up in the heart of these events. You have been sent on a different mission altogether — venturing into unexplored regions of space to make first contact with new civilizations or to chart spatial anomalies that could lead to new information and advances in the sciences.

APPLICATIONS:

Species: You may only choose one of the following Species who were freely accepted into Starfleet at this stardate: Andorian, Bajoran, Betazoid, Denobulan, Human, Tellarite, Trill, or Vulcan. No others.
Mixed-Heritage Characters: Many Starfleet Officers have parents from different species. To create characters of mixed-heritage, choose two species, one of which will be the primary species. The character is treated as a member of the primary species for attribute bonuses; most mixed-heritage characters take more after one parent than another. The character gains the species Traits of both parent species, and may select Talents from both parent species.
CHARACTER CREATION: First, it'd be nice if you submit a picture of your liking that gives an idea of what your character looks like, but it isn't necessary.

Second, those chosen will be completing and finalizing their character builds and sheets together as a team. Your application should include what is mentioned below.

Application TemplateUse the Following Template for your character Submission:

List of Questions and AnswersQ & A
  1. Given the unique nature of the application process for This game, are we limited to only a Single Application, or could we also include a "Secondary" application as a sort of a "backup" in a different position?
    Answer: No, but do not submit more than two and keep them in the same post thread with a clear division as to which is which.
  2. Could we list a Secondary Role for our application that would still fit the character? Example: Primary Role - Executive Officer, Secondary - Chief Security/Tactical Officer?
    Answer: Yes.
  3. Are there any benefits/drawbacks to playing as a certain species?
    Answer: Yes, there are certain benefits and possibly a drawback to playing a certain species. Each Species gets attribute bonuses, A trait bonus, and two talents to choose from that only that species has access to. An example of a drawback would be how Andorians and vulcans don't always get along due to past history, or how a Bajoran would tend to be hostile to a Cardassian.
    You will not be locked in to a Species choice if you are accepted into the game. That said, the "idea" and "concept" of your character would likely fit better in one or more species than others. I'm looking for characters that aren't defined by their race so much as shaped by it to some degree. It doesn't sum up who they are, just adds to it and possibly takes away from it at times (depending on others points of view).
  4. How does character creation work, exactly? Or should we only worry about what you asked for in the application section?
    Answer: Character creation goes through a process somewhat like Traveller, but not as intensive. You may do a full character creation, but it isn't necessary and won't give an advantage to having your character chosen
  5. Are you allowing Homebrew?
    Answer:Sorry. No, I am not. I sticking to the core rule book for this first time out as a GM of this system.
  6. Is there an online Character Creation Tool?:
    Answer: Yes. Here is the link to an online tool. It is not required to have a fully created character.
  7. Should we put our desired rank/station posting in our application? Or can we create a character as we like, and depending on how you view the application, thanks for the flattery Almighty GM, then if they are accepted, they'll be sorted into a position that you think is a good fit?
    Answer: You can just put "Any" if you like and that's fine with me. Truth be told, once I do narrow it down towards the deadline, I'll be ignoring the preferred role at first. If there's competition for a role, I'll discuss with potentials about other roles, or it's even possible, that I may - given the adventures/campaign ahead - think a character is better suited to be in another role for the best interests of the crew. If this is the case, I'll discuss with players at that time.

List of Applicants
PLAYER CHARACTER SPECIES PREFERRED ROLE APP COMPLETE? NOTES RP Sample added?
Saratek Revan Vulcan Chief of Security/Tactical Officer Yes Feedback given yes
FatherDondo Caratacus Denobulan Chief Medical Officer (Ops Officer as backup) Yes Feedback Given withdrawn
GleefulNihilism Navran Paix Trill (Joined) Chief Medical Officer Yes Feedback Given Yes
Valentha Lynette Ryan Human Chief Engineer Yes Feedback Given yes
Acathala Vren Azonan Andorian Captain Yes Feedback Pending Yes
PalladiaMors Jessica Bailey Human Captain Yes Feedback Given Yes
daveron Shranval "LT Val" th'Shonthoth Andorian/Vulcan XO, Ops, Security, other Yes Feedback Given Yes
Ghost6442 Pollyanna Morgane Esther Andorian/Human Chief of Security/Chief Tactical Officer Yes Feedback Pending Yes
RossN Vara Rix Trill (joined) Chief of Security/Chief Tactical Officer Yes Feedback Pending Yes
Mitsubachi Sunita Kushani Human Science Officer Yes Feedback Pending yes

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jun 25th, 2022 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 02:05 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23247
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Tentative Interest. Let me see what I think of for a character.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
Tentative Interest. Let me see what I think of for a character.
Awesome. Take your time.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1309
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Yoink!

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Jun 25th, 2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Dark Advisor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2756
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
Very interested! Putting this here just to mark interest and subscribe to the thread! Will look at the rules and get to work on an application in due time. ^_^
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 05:33 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18371
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posting Interest. Unsure what role I'll be vying for at this time.

I will be applying with a candidate for the Chief of Security/Tactical Officer. At the moment I'm thinking Vulcan with how the character is forming in my mind.

Last edited by Saratek; Jun 12th, 2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 05:51 PM
Dark Advisor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2756
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
Out of curiosity, are there any benefits/drawbacks to playing as a certain species? And how does character creation work, exactly? I couldn't find that info in the documents you linked us to, but it is entirely possible that I missed them somewhere. Or should we only worry about what you asked for in the application section? On the one hand, I have a character concept, but I'm not sure if choosing a certain species/specialization/etc. will impact the gameplay in a way that I might want to avoid.

Apologies if I'm jumping the gun. Hoping all is well with you, Almighty GM! ^_^
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubachi View Post
EDIT: Updated application. SCIENCE OFFICER
Mitsubachi,
Could you put your app in the template form I've given, hiding everything that isn't listed in secret tags, and showing all else?
Also, once you've done that I'll give feedback.
Thanks,
And... does this mean you have the Core rule book???
- D

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jun 12th, 2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 06:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1654
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
drachenspirit, are you allowing homebrew from this site? id love to play a freed borg tactical officer

https://continuingmissionsta.com/species-index/
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 06:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleFries View Post
Out of curiosity, are there any benefits/drawbacks to playing as a certain species? And how does character creation work, exactly? I couldn't find that info in the documents you linked us to, but it is entirely possible that I missed them somewhere. Or should we only worry about what you asked for in the application section? On the one hand, I have a character concept, but I'm not sure if choosing a certain species/specialization/etc. will impact the gameplay in a way that I might want to avoid.

Apologies if I'm jumping the gun. Hoping all is well with you, Almighty GM! ^_^
Character creation goes through a process somewhat like Traveller, but not as intensive. And yes, there are certain benefits and possibly a drawback to playing a certain species. Each Species gets attribute bonuses, A trait bonus, and two talents to choose from that only that species has access to. An example of a drawback would be how Andorians and vulcans don't always get along due to past history, or how a Bajoran would tend to be hostile to a Cardassian.
You will not be locked in to a Species choice if you are accepted into the game. That said, the "idea" and "concept" of your character would likely fit better in one or more species than others. I'm looking for characters that aren't defined by their race so much as shaped by it to some degree. It doesn't sum up who they are, just adds to it and possibly takes away from it at times (depending on others points of view). Hope that makes sense.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 06:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot lasgun View Post
drachenspirit, are you allowing homebrew from this site? id love to play a freed borg tactical officer

https://continuingmissionsta.com/species-index/
Sorry. No, I am not. I sticking to the core rule book for this first time out as a GM of this system.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1654
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
no worries, just checking

have fun with your game
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 07:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubachi View Post
OK, done. Sorry - I thought you would like to see the whole character.

I don't have the core book but have played the game and am familiar with the mechanics. There is a neat (and legit!) online tool for generating characters which is quite fun to use - you make the choices and it offers the associated focuses/talents as you go along.

Mitsy
Given your familiarity, I would like to see the whole character, just know that it won't give you an advantage over those not so familiar with the System.

Also, can you remove the secret tag around the application?

Can you also reply with that link?
Thanks.
- D

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jun 12th, 2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 09:56 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7253
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
I'm actually fairly tempted to throw up an app given you seem to be avoiding Kurtzman trek.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 10:02 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23247
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Strange New Worlds is actually quite good. Just sayin’.