Other Star Trek Adventures: To Boldly Go - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 10:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25934
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 11:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2663
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
Potentially ignorant question: I get the idea from the character builder that you can only get one talent at creation. Can you choose more later, as you level?

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18371
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDondo View Post
Potentially ignorant question: I get the idea from the character builder that you can only get one talent at creation. Can you choose more later, as you level?
I believe you should have 4 Talents by the end of Character Creation. [Race, Upbringing, Starfleet Academy, and Career Length Steps]

Some will "unlock" as you do the Character Creation as a result of increasing Disciplines.

Last edited by Saratek; Jun 14th, 2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Yes, 4 Talents is what you get once Character Creation is complete.

That online link is decent to help create a character, but it will help once a crew is formed for everyone to do it at once so you get exposed to all the "ins and outs" as well as other's experience - not too mention other's direct access to the Core Rule book.

On another note, several have asked about using Species other than those I listed as choices. First off, no homebrew, and if it's an official Species in one of the publisher's Star Trek Adventure's documents, I'll need that. And since the Quadrant books cost $15 + American for a pdf copy, I don't see anyone gifting me one, so they're out.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 12:15 PM
Dark Advisor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2756
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
Quick question, and apologies if there is an obvious answer, but should we put our desired rank/station posting in our application? Or can we create a character as we like, and depending on how you view the application, Almighty GM, then if they are accepted, they'll be sorted into a position that you think is a good fit?
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 12:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
I think I'm good with my app

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleFries View Post
Quick question, and apologies if there is an obvious answer, but should we put our desired rank/station posting in our application? Or can we create a character as we like, and depending on how you view the application, Almighty GM, then if they are accepted, they'll be sorted into a position that you think is a good fit?
You can just put "Any" if you like and that's fine with me. Truth be told, once I do narrow it down towards the deadline, I'll be ignoring the preferred role at first. If there's competition for a role, I'll discuss with potentials about other roles, or it's even possible that I may - given the adventures/campaign ahead - think a character is better suited to be in another role for the best interests of the crew. If this is the case, I'll discuss with players at that time.
Several weeks away from that now, but you bring up a good point.

Adding this answer to the "Q&A."
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 01:31 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any real interest in the Chief of Engineering Role given how it is usually one of the most active and prominent in Trek.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 01:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I think there were a few people talking about it

Last edited by FatherDondo; Jun 14th, 2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Note to all:
Make sure your application includes everything asked for, especially the Background History. I asked for a synopsis of your character's upbringing, entering/time at Starfleet, and their career until accepting the current assignment that includes mention of a 'Career Event.'
There are no less than 6 adventures/Encounters that I have already lined out for the crew, and those things asked for will come into play during the game, maybe even at the beginning, but definitely along the way. I truly like how this system really stresses that so many things you choose for your character's "makeup" come into play during the game.
Some player's have stated in PM or secret tag that they wanted to include more background/history in their app. That's fine, just put THE EXTRA in both Spoiler tags and Secret tags so should your character be chosen this wealth of information can be revealed to the rest of the crew at that time of joining the crew, or kept hidden until it comes out in RP.
I once sent a short story to my first cousin who is a published Author and Novelist whose books have sold over a millions copies who also owns her publishing company. She replied back that I gave too much away about my main character too early in the story.
In the words of Malcom Reynolds, "You can't open the book of my life and jump in the middle. Like woman, I'm a mystery."
Just like writers of Show Series Episodes keep adding unknown tidbits about character's pasts to add to the storyline, we are telling an unfolding story together. Recall that I said this will be heavy RP.
It should be noted that Inara answered Mal with: "Best keep it that way. I withdraw the question." I can't imagine a better response to Mal's statement. Which is probably why I love Firefly.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jun 14th, 2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
@Drachen: Would you like some more details to be used for such, or am I good with just the app with the assumption I would reveal both more and other details during the course of play, should my character be selected?
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 02:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratek View Post
@Drachen: Would you like some more details to be used for such, or am I good with just the app with the assumption I would reveal both more and other details during the course of play, should my character be selected?
I like it as is, and you've also given some information in secret tags. If I think you need to enhance any part of the app due to competition, I'll let you know; same goes for everyone else.
-D

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jun 14th, 2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
Cool. With it done, I don't have to think about it unless I get selected.

Good Luck, All.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 08:33 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7303
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratek View Post
I wasn't intending to add in on this particular conversation, but...

Saratek, I have much respect for you as a player but I respectfully disagree with you entirely. You can have shows made at different times whilst remaining faithful to the original vision of the creator. Star trek up to enterprise remained faithful to Gene Roddenbury's vision of an optimistic utopian future where humanity got itself together and explored the stars.
Kurtzman trek on the other hand, is star trek in name only. It is a violent dystopia, which does not respect what came before it.

Star trek and star wars are subjects I can talk for hours on, but I don't want to clog up the recruitment thread.