Closed Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 09:35 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 109
ultracheng ultracheng
My Dragon Quest Dungeon Crawl

Hi, this is my first game here. I am designing a simple & easy to use game system for my Dragon Quest themed dungeon crawl. I wish to share and playtest the game system here with you guys. The system is not limited to DQ world but can be used with any dungeon crawl. I need four players to join my game. I will show how this system works step by step here once four players joined.

Game NameMy Dragon Quest Dungeon Crawl
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeDragon Quest world (High Fantasy?)
FlavourCute DQ-themed monsters
Plot SummaryYou met three other newbie adventurers in a tavern. You decided to form an adventure party of four and are looking for a quest on the board. Here is the quest you are interested to pick :

Quest : Find and rescue a lone adventurer who is missing since this Monday. The lost adventurer was last saw at the entrance of a dungeon west of Peril Woods.

Rewards : 2000 gold

Last edited by ultracheng; Jun 20th, 2022 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Add more information
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 09:53 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9287
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Is there a dragons quest tabletop game? I'd love to get a copy of that!
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 10:12 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ultracheng ultracheng
There are a couple of very old DQ board games but mainly targeted for kids. So the quick answer is no. That's why I try to make one.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 10:16 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ultracheng ultracheng
Here are the four pre-made character sheets. Anyone who are interested to join pls pick your character and give a character name.
Players are free to add more background information to your character like age, goal, trophy, favorite weapons/skills/spells, most hated monsters...etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ultracheng; Jun 20th, 2022 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 10:38 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ultracheng ultracheng
Three young & one not so young adventurers are waiting for a fun & epic adventure.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 01:00 PM
Bane of 1st Lv Wizards

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2754
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
I find that poor ol' Dragon Quest gets the short end of the stick when it comes to TTRPG fan project. We've got a few Final Fantasy clones (though Omega Fantasy is the best of them all, personally), but DQ? Nope! The only one I knew of is a) kinda scrappy and b) can only be found these days with the Wayback Machine. ;-;

Anywho, Ultracheng's thread showing off these game pieces brought me here. Though I'm in two games and am running one myself, I think I've got time to playtest. I think I wanna take on the Cleric -- I love them for the same reasons I love D&D clerics, and they've got access to spears too. Not enough polearm love in RPG video games and Western pop culture, I feel. And can I gush that I love how DQ3's clerics get the debuffs, while their mages get the buffs? Giving status ailments to say, a Black Mage outside of FF1, is pretty redundant when they just blow stuff up with elemental attacks anyway.

Ah, Cheng. Is there a basic ruleset you can hit us up with? It doesn't have to be overly fleshed out or fluffy, but something scrappy to help with the playtesting will do. Like, what's the basic flow of play? What do the stat symbols mean, and what do they do in game? What randomizer is used (cards exclusively, how Like: single die vs a set number (D&D), 2d6 vs number (PbtA), a dice pool to get X number of "sucess" results (Shadowrun), etcdice are used if they're there, how to succeed at an action)? Lastly, ah... what's a "bam"? I've seen this on a few cards you've shared. Is this a "hit", a success in a dice ppol? Or is this a critical hit, or an exploding die mechanic?

Last edited by Seeks; Jun 21st, 2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 02:51 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ultracheng ultracheng
Thanks for joining and raising the questions.

Stat icons are :
Left column : Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, Magic Attack, Strength, Agility,
Right Column : Life (HP), Defense, Sanity, Wisdom

No rule set yet as I am still working on it. As the title may imply, this is a dungeon crawl. In each turn, players flip a dungeon tile to explore the dungeon. A roll on the Tile list table is made to see if the party encounters any monsters on that tile. If no encounters, the party moves to the new tile and choose which available direction to move, then flip the next tile on the tile deck. Most tiles are open but some tiles are locked and require keys to unlock the room.

Encounters are the usual rolling combat dice for both sides but instead of normal D6 or D10 dice, I use custom D6 dice from Massive Darkness. Bam is a special result on the combat dice. Some dice have one Bam each while other dice have two Bams. After encounter, players may draw Loot/Treasure cards and may get extra cards if they got the Diamond result in combat before.
[IMG][/IMG]

Characters also get XP for defeating monsters and may level up when their XP reaches certain box on the XP track. When level-up, player may choose to add one point of stats to the character shown on the level-up box. Players may also use items or spells after combat if they want.

Characters get fatigue points if they use skills/spells and everyone gets one fatigue point at the end of each day. Fatigue points reduce the stats of characters. Players may choose to take rest in a room to remove fatigue points but may trigger another encounter. Each rest counts as one move and for every 8 moves a day is over. The party has rations for 2 days and must exit dungeon and return to town when 2 day past unless they find the pub room first.

Each dungeon has 1-4 floors. The deeper the floor, the more dangerous the tiles will be. So the same tile may have different encounter rolls for different floors. When the party flips the staircase tile, they can exit the floor and move to the entrance tile of the next floor. For entering each new floor, tiles are reshuffled to form a new deck of the new floor. For some scenarios, game is clocked by game turns and party must race against time before it's too late. Players may choose to split party to two teams to explore more tiles to save time.

Above are the basic moves. Time to give a name to the Cleric and add some personality for fun.

Three more players to go. Wish more DQ fans will join.

Last edited by ultracheng; Jun 21st, 2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 03:24 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ultracheng ultracheng
Special rules for the quest :

Quest NPC may be found in one of these tiles : Water Room, Cell Room, Torture Room, Cage Room. These rooms are locked and one silver key is needed to unlock each room. For every leader monster (monster name in red) defeated, there is a chance of 50% the monster will drop a silver key. Roll a die to see if a key is found (roll of 4 or more). Pls note Torture Room & Cage Room are on 3rd & 4th floor only.

For the first time the above listed room is flipped, the NPC is found on a roll of 5 or more. For the second time, the NPC is found on a roll of 4 or more. For the third time, the NPC is found on roll of 3 or more and for the forth time the NPC is found automatically.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 02:25 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1418
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
What, no Goof-off class?

Old Jun 29th, 2022, 05:19 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 131
Spiked Flail Spiked Flail
Are you still looking for players?
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 10:08 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ultracheng ultracheng
Looks like only one guy has interest in joining but didn't come back after his last post. Perhaps this is not the right place for Dragon Quest game.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 10:11 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
ultracheng ultracheng
Closed Thread