twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:44 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
prototype00
Hey all,

Its just me Prototype00 from the CO boards. Fil told me to drop by and stuff so, ta daaa here I am. Hows the game going?

prototype00
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1700
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
aparently very slowly. I must have scared them off!
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Dragoon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1278
zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak
I'm just waiting for one of the more prophetic types to respond ... I have nothing to say/do otherwise, heheh.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Wayfarer
One thing I'm curious about is if me and random will be set up as having had a prior relationship with the group, or if fortune has guided us together...

EDIT: Would you allow the Harpoon from Frostburn to be used as a reach melee weapon? I just like the irony of an anthro whale harpooning people...

Last edited by Silent Wayfarer; Mar 14th, 2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
my god... are you actually going to play an anthropomorphic whale wielding a harpoon?

naturally, I'm fine with this. but I again reiterate that a huge size critter will end up causing trouble down the oline for him/itself.

I don't see why a huge size whale man can wield a harpoon with reach.. you'll be, what, 30' area of AoO?
I can't help but think your character should have ties to the inner plane of water... perhaps a clan washed in to droaam a few years ago from the southern sea.. and y'all took a chunk out of the droaam shore line as a new clan in power?

Honestly, if you dropped the literal fluff of a whale.. I'd leave the crunch as is and just change it to a land shark/bulete. a large, armoured anthro bulete would seem much cooler than a whale. unless you pursued the plane of water thing.. but a bulette man could be a pat of a clan from khyber that settled in Droaam and took over a territory just as easily... it's just land sharks are cooler than whales.
What was that toy back in '89... wood vs water vs fire? tv commerical had animated scene of anthropomorphic animals fighting each other over elemental disputes... an anthro shark represented water, and I can't get the land shark out of my head.

what do you think?

but in all honestly, it's goig to take some exotic shwindangling to get anthropomorphics to be anything other than "crowd disrupting freak".
If yer just looking for stat advantages, just keep the fial product in mind to alance with the team, and you can call yer self, "titan blooded ogre". certainly better than "whale with legs".
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
ah! just read yer commentatry in random's thread.

That can work.. especially if we play off the elven transmuter in droaam. Perhaps you wish to take the rumours of the mournland transmutive properties seriously, and happily accept the opportunity to back up the MEP, while exploring your own options.... hoping to retain your awesome strength, while finding a permanent solution to looking like a chitonous shamu?

or are you going with the ogre direction for potential interaction with normal people?
but then, we have a werebear tromping around.. how much different could a whale man be?
I thin the whale would have lots of spikes and horns naturally from the minotaur.

Of course, with a swerebear, a whale, and rakshasa, I think I'll hav to take us away from "normal" society after the mournlands... take the game to the beyond and not look back. Lots of options there, with a distant eberron background for reference. which I'm fine with.

Then I can start laying on planar woe with abandon... gith cruisers, demon skirmishes, elemental conflict... cultish pocket dimensions... right up my alley!
I say do it.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
found em... battle beasts.

http://www.toyarchive.com/BattleBeas...s/Series1.html

and here is sawtooth shark...
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Wayfarer
Quote:
my god... are you actually going to play an anthropomorphic whale wielding a harpoon?

naturally, I'm fine with this. but I again reiterate that a huge size critter will end up causing trouble down the oline for him/itself.
He stays at Large, actually. I found an interesting +0 CR template called Dungeonbred (from Dungeonscape) that mashes his size down by 1 category. Half-minotaur brings him back up to Large, so they cancel out.

I was also thinking of commissioning an item of compression so he could fit into places like normal people. I don't want to mess up the group's social stuff just for me. =p

Quote:
I don't see why a huge size whale man can wield a harpoon with reach.. you'll be, what, 30' area of AoO?
I can't help but think your character should have ties to the inner plane of water... perhaps a clan washed in to droaam a few years ago from the southern sea.. and y'all took a chunk out of the droaam shore line as a new clan in power?
Possible, possible... but I think I'll go with your suggestion of dropping the whale fluff.

[QUOTE]Honestly, if you dropped the literal fluff of a whale.. I'd leave the crunch as is and just change it to a land shark/bulete. a large, armoured anthro bulete would seem much cooler than a whale. unless you pursued the plane of water thing.. but a bulette man could be a pat of a clan from khyber that settled in Droaam and took over a territory just as easily... it's just land sharks are cooler than whales.

That's actually a pretty cool idea. I'll go think of what interesting monstrosities that might be found in Droaam... Like you said, I want the crunch, but I'd gladly change the fluff so that it turns out cooler.

Quote:
What was that toy back in '89... wood vs water vs fire? tv commerical had animated scene of anthropomorphic animals fighting each other over elemental disputes... an anthro shark represented water, and I can't get the land shark out of my head.

what do you think?

but in all honestly, it's goig to take some exotic shwindangling to get anthropomorphics to be anything other than "crowd disrupting freak".
If yer just looking for stat advantages, just keep the fial product in mind to alance with the team, and you can call yer self, "titan blooded ogre". certainly better than "whale with legs".
I understand. Part of my gold was intended to go towards a hat of disguise, so the group would blend in better with society. It's also fun to be able to change your look at will.

Quote:
ah! just read yer commentatry in random's thread.

That can work.. especially if we play off the elven transmuter in droaam. Perhaps you wish to take the rumours of the mournland transmutive properties seriously, and happily accept the opportunity to back up the MEP, while exploring your own options.... hoping to retain your awesome strength, while finding a permanent solution to looking like a chitonous shamu?
I never thought of the Mournlands that way... yep. That would be a great plot angle. I've probably said this before, but my original idea was for him to be sent out by his faction elders to go heal the damage to the world, and so on. This would apply an interesting wrinkle to it - give him more of a personal stake.

It would also make for quite a bit of roleplaying, given that a lot of the people here have been wounded or changed in some way, and they want to fix themselves.

"Hi, I'm Casper."
"I'm Smokey."
"I'm Shere Khan."
"I'm Free Willy."

"...is this some kind of circus?"

Quote:
or are you going with the ogre direction for potential interaction with normal people?
but then, we have a werebear tromping around.. how much different could a whale man be?
I thin the whale would have lots of spikes and horns naturally from the minotaur.
What I'd like to do is to play up the whole concept of "monstrous appearance, human heart". So we'd have a something looking all fierce and terrible, but who's actually a gentle giant deep inside (would probably another reason why the council of elders sent him out with a rakshasa - way too naive )

Quote:
Of course, with a swerebear, a whale, and rakshasa, I think I'll hav to take us away from "normal" society after the mournlands... take the game to the beyond and not look back. Lots of options there, with a distant eberron background for reference. which I'm fine with.

Then I can start laying on planar woe with abandon... gith cruisers, demon skirmishes, elemental conflict... cultish pocket dimensions... right up my alley!
I say do it.
Your blessing is gladly received. To be honest I didn't think of that particular angle for our guys - I was assuming that we'd eventually head into the spirit world to battle monsters and so on, but I didn't think that one reason to drive us away from civilization would be the monstrosity of our appearances. There's a lot of fodder in this, definitely. You got a whole lot of ideas percolating in my head - I'll be thinking hard about it.

Incidentally, my (and my character's) view of the spirit world is that it is an animistic place - there are least gods for everything, including the individual rocks, soil microclimates, a house, and so on. Most of them are nonsentient, but the more powerful ones (like dryads, nereids, et al) tend to have personalities, and can take humanoid form. There is a hierarchy of spirits which must be venerated, and in return they'll make sure things go well for you. The Droaamites, being more primal, tend to be more aware of these things than the more civilized nations, who largely prefer the cold, sterile feel of architecture, masonry and technology. The civilized races are also aware of spirits - they simply approach it from a more detached, scientific angle. I'd say that in the far reaches of Droaam, there are places where the small gods take physical form and walk among men, sometimes even interbreeding with them.

You could parley this into a lot of things - like say, an intelligent weapon is one with its spirit awakened (a nemuranai - literally, "unsleeping"), or that a house really does have a spirit (so when you enter a familiar place, it's because the house spirit welcomes you). There are many spirit realms, and the denizens from each are what we call outsiders. I think this would tie in pretty well with your concept that summoned creatures are spirits, and that warforged, having no native souls, are easier for a free-roaming spirit to "ride".

The special case of a union of spirit and mortals (as in a fiend of possession "riding" a host, or a glimmerskin wrapping itself around someone) are known as the olchilike, or the Exalted. They typically gain great powers derived from their possessor spirit, but they must please their patron lest the gift be withdrawn, or worse.

In any event, is it possible for my guy to have a non-mechanical feeling for the ambient immaterial activity of an area? Like say, he walks into a jungle ruled by some fierce panther god, and he immediately gets a feeling of bad juju down his spine; or he enters the clinically maintained halls of a Cannith warforged manufactory and feels an alien absence spiritual presences. He certainly can;t see them and probably won't be able to communicate with them beyond shouting into the air, but it might be good for flavor. Kind of plays up the whole tribal, barbarian angle.

What do you think?

Last edited by Silent Wayfarer; Mar 14th, 2007 at 04:06 AM.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
very nice. your analysis of the spirit world is dead on with what I was driving for.

outsiders, elementals, undead, fey, "spirits" (from rokugan), and anyone with at least 1 level of a class that grants divine spells grants spirit siht, which would give you direct acces to perceive the edgeworld where all these spirits naturally dwell.

we could probably bs a 1st level spell item "grant spirit sight" as a brooch or whateer for those without that want it.

I'd get spirit sight somehow... later it will have a tactical advantage you will want... otherwise you can just "get the heevy jeeveys" whenver you feel like it.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
random-- from your faction breakdown (well done, btw... you've got a lot of cheekiness in your writing.) I"m gathering the character's "birthed" name is Nairitya-- but now since he's on the lamb a bit, he's going by "Night"? is that right?

I like how virtually all of your faction is negative. LOL.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
randomsyllable
Pretty much. It's meant as an approximation of his name for those who don't speak...uh...whatever Sankrit is in Eberron. Shorthand, if you will. (The 'r' in his full name isn't an r, but I don't want to bother writing out the special character code every time I type his name)

As to my faction, yeah...he was not the best sort of person to make friends with.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3467
Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar Ithamar
Wow, quite the game you got going here, Fil. I must say I'm a bit scared to see what some of these characters are capable of, but I'm sure it will be something awesome to see.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
bah. numbers are numbers. they got one standard action , one move, or a full attack
well, plus swift and free actions.

as always, it's about time management and control.

but having said this, these guys have certainly made the most of their resources.
I like how everyone has peer pressured themselves into legacy items and FoP's/item familiars.
I should have ruled against full casters using these things in retrospect.... it's difficult for non casters to keep up... but I think we're doing a decent job so far.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Wayfarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil kearney
bah. numbers are numbers. they got one standard action , one move, or a full attack
well, plus swift and free actions.
I mildly regret not running the 3 action/round Iron Mind... but then again, I am pretty sick of casters. =p
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
ell, sure there's always mega optimized breakers, but the goal of the players is to keep things balanced amongst themselves.

but you all understand that. I likely won't use such cheeze either.just like I wont pour on timestoped archmages until you can readioly handle it... like in the 30's