twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Snowballs & Silent Death

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58
MittenNinja
Alright, here's the basic concept for my char. I'm working on fleshing out the build right now and the only thing I can guarantee will be that it will include the pyrokineticist PrC.

H.E.X. (Harnessed Elemental Experiment) Designation 32, The Flameforged Warrior

Background:
32 is the result of the HEX program (Harnessed Elemental Experiment), a research program for developing more powerful warforged during the last war headed by powerful arcanists. The project involved binding elemental beings to warforged to be used as a 'power source' of sorts. 32 has been infused with a fire elemental and his powers reflect this harnessed being. Although completely aware of what he is, 32 has no memory of his creation or those responsible for his development. His curiosity of his creation is what keeps him adventuring. How many other warforged like him were created? What happened to his creators? Some day he may find out.

Description:
32 only resembles other warforged in his size and composition. His body is made mostly of adamantine and is covered with exhaust vents to periodically release heat from the elemental bound inside him. His body is crafted to resemble a great armored warrior to strike fear into those who stand against him. Atop his large metal shoulders sits a head with no mouth and a single glowing red eye. The eye blinks when he speaks with his monotone, almost machine-like, voice.

Personality:
To others, 32 thinks more like a machine than an intelligent being. Being an earlier model of warforged he can feel emotion, but he is like a small child and can barely grasp the concept of them. Because of his less child like logical reasoning however, he learns rather quickly but asks questions to try and further understand anything he can.

Role-Playing Note:
While mechanically a psionic character I will be role-playing all psionic abilities as granted by the fire elemental bound within 32. All of the powers I will be able to manifest can easily be described in this way (Force Screen will appear to be created by flames emitting from exhaust vents, or Vigor would syphon off life from the elemental to 32 temporarily for example)

I posted my initial build over at the CO boards and with the way things are looking right now I'll be your second tank.

Oh Fil, whats your ruling on dual manifesting fire lashes?

Last edited by MittenNinja; Jul 11th, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1700
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
I'll open a private thread with you, christian, to discuss furher menacing the party from my side of the screen.

FF... when I say "dual progress classes" I mean anything that will grant simultaneous full caster progression.
this is any combination of
arcane
divine
psionic

THose ar the three heavy hitters in the game mechanics.
even if you were to be a metamind using psychic warroir and bard (why I have no clue) would still count as dual full progression. becaus spells are king.

even things like dual progressing invoations and arcae spells or dual progressing divine and incarnum or dual progressing psionics and binding.... all those are fine, because compared to the infinitely growing spell and power lists, incarnum, binding, invocations, BAB etc. are all terribly limited.

If anyone disagrees, you are welcome to argue the poit and potentially hamstring hyer options, but I think we all know 20 wizard, 20 psion, 20 cleric 20 druid etc etc etc will always set the grade curve in the game.

20 incarnum 20 warlock 20 warblade 20 binder.... great builds.... now sit down becase the wizard is abot to cast again.
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
mittens, to manifest two lashes, it looks like yuo'd need to spend two move actions.
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Snowballs & Silent Death

Tools
User Statistics
MittenNinja
Yea i realize it would take multiple actions, but some people say you can't manifest more than one, others say you can. Just wanted to see where you stood with that one.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
FriendlyFrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil kearney
[Snip]...[/Snip]
Yeah, that's how I understood it from reading previous posts around here. I'm not interested in dual casting anyway, so it's all fine with me. I like the build I posted previously, and unless can find something that turns things all over I'm likely going to use it, with some small(ish) tweaks perhaps. And I have to think what feats I'm going to take. I got the info from a friend that has Dragon #318, and Keen intellect is definitely in, but other than that I have no idea. The Font of Inspiration feat from WotC website that gives more Inspiration points sounds good, as I can't fit that many Factotum levels there.

I was first thinking of going with the Chrono legionnaire fighting style, teleporting all around using melee and battlefield control, but then I saw that there are Anticipate teleport effects running all the time near the party. I think I'll have to change that, unless there's a way to get around that. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Oh, and how much XP will we new guys start with? It will affect what level we are if we buy off some LA.

Last edited by FriendlyFrog; Jul 11th, 2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Snowballs & Silent Death

Tools
User Statistics
MittenNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFrog
EDIT: Oh, and how much XP will we new guys start with? It will affect what level we are if we buy off some LA.
Yeah, that will probably effect my build.

Also, the hands of flame graft from Magic of Eberron allows me to deal 1d6 fire with a touch or add 1d6 fire to any metallic weapon I use. Would you allow me to add that to my fire lashes as they could be increasing the heat output of them?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
FriendlyFrog
I have another question: are Empty vessels (or the "good" Empty vessels, the Chosen from Secrets of Sarlona) considered to be Human, Kalashtar, both or neither? Or more precisely, if I were an Empty vessel (Chosen), would I qualify for Able learner and could I use Quori embedded shards? I believe the RAW says nej, while the flavor could support both cases.

Just checking, not sure I'd go that way even if I could do both.

Last edited by FriendlyFrog; Jul 11th, 2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
good questions!

a vessel would be considered human only if the possesing quori allowed it to iteract and deelop a will of its own. I'll need to read through it, ut I don't think that's how quori like to play with their food.

so I'd say no unless you have supporting evidece that would say otherwise.

with Vin dead, and tanner gone, we have no anticipate telepors runnign at all. I hate that stupid spell-- but I'm not banning it. tough tycos for me. but we don't have any persisting casters now either... so you can tport about as you please. or if we do pick up a ATporteer, just have it placed on you so yer not affected by it!

xp? good question... uh.... well

12th level minimum... and an xtra 20k for LA buy off and an extra 5k when you flesh out all yer magic gear and faction

That's a good starting spot for ya. we'll have that stick for everyone.

so youcan buy off ... 3,6,9,12.. 4 LA right now... 3k, 6k, 9k, 12k is 30k of xp.

meh. I'll throw an extra 5k for whoever reads through the wiki, the prologue, and chapter 1-- write me a one post summary of what's going on in the game, and the xp is yers.

how about that for fair?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenNinja
Yeah, that will probably effect my build.

Also, the hands of flame graft from Magic of Eberron allows me to deal 1d6 fire with a touch or add 1d6 fire to any metallic weapon I use. Would you allow me to add that to my fire lashes as they could be increasing the heat output of them?

hand of flame... natch fit for ya. take it.

you can manifest both whips with 2 move actions in the same round. hopefully hustle is on yer list!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Surreal
Mitten - I'd look into a way to gradually make your flames overcome fire resistance. I think there are some PrCs that can be adapted (like any of the Silver Flame guys which make fire damage divine in nature). Or homebrew a feat or item or change some of those upper level abilities of the pyro (since they're useless at high level unless you like setting townsfolk on fire)... we have a lot of homebrew going around too. Heck, half of us were brewing up legacy item stuff to keep up with the casters, although two thirds of our casters are gone now, so that's probably not necessary.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Snowballs & Silent Death

Tools
User Statistics
MittenNinja
Yep that brings me to my next question/proposal. So the searing spell metamagic feat, could I make that a metapsionic feat requiring 2pp and expending focus? Or possibly something similar to effect my pyro abilities?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
all metamagic and metapsionic feats are fully transparent... you could play a metamind with quickn spell and either bump the spell level 4 or blow 8 extra pp depending on which you use... it works for both.

twce the savings for dual progressors...

so you could take explosive metamagic and use knockback on concussion or whatever.

They could have made psionics a LOT better for transparency issues if they wanted to... which is part of the resistance it receives.. because it's treate as "different" so its tough to use and optimize.

a cleric/wozard could tak eonly one feat to have quicken spell for both classes... psionics should have been that way too.

so now it is.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
FriendlyFrog
The amount of XP sounds good. I'll try to post the summary, including that other one, today or tomorrow.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Tag! Ff Is It!!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
FriendlyFrog
Oh no! "Looks for the next victim"