Notices

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Moonatic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
ChristopherGroves
It is far too early for this ....

The shifter watched as the two goblinoid clan leaders faced-off against each other. It was hard to follow, but he did his best. The group he had stayed with last evening - the Kech Volaar - were filled with amazing stories of the ancient Dhakanni empire. Surpringly funny, the old bard kept Rass awake until the sun had nearly risen.

And now, he was awake again.

His capacity for understanding goblin was limited - he knew far more than most, but with the speed of the conversation he couldn't catch every word. "Kech Sarrat" ... "slaves" ... "tribute" ... "respect" ... "burn" ...

The meaning was obvious when the hobgoblins drew their swords and started to torch the villages.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DaveTheMagicWease
((continued from here ))

40 years before the present day…

A deathly silence was cast over the room. Bran stood with his head bowed, staring at the corpse at his feet. The blood on the floor was still wet, his nostrils still filled with the smell of smoke from the battle that had been fought in this room just a few short hours ago.

Another younger man entered, sporting a number of fresh wounds and with his arm tightly bandaged – the Clerics were tending to the worst cases before they dealt with those still walking.

He approached and saluted smartly with his free hand.

“Sir. The search parties all report no sightings of it.”

“Tell them to keep looking. Not that they’ll find anything – it will be long gone by now.”

“Yes sir.”

He paused, momentarily reluctant to say what was on his mind, but then blurted it out; “I’m sorry sir. I was sure the spell would contain it, I … I … I just don’t understand how it escaped us…”

“It knew.”

“Sir? There was no way it could have known! The operation had the strictest secrecy. You don’t … you don’t think we’ve been infiltrated sir?”

“You saw look in it’s eye when we burst in. It was laughing at us. Trust me, it knew. I don’t know how it knew, but I’m going to find out.”

Their conversation was disturbed by footsteps in the door. Cardinal Ghelios walked in, his bearing as regal as ever. The soldier stooped in a low bow.

“Revered Father.”

“Raise your eyes soldier. You’ll never see your enemy coming watching the floor like that."

"I ... uh ..."

"Dismissed soldier."

“uh … yes Revered Father.”

He walked out with a dumbstruck look still on his face.

Ghelios walked up to Bran, who met him with a slight nod of the head, none of the formality that his subordinate had displayed, their friendship had long since outgrown all that.

Bran’s eyes were drawn back to the corpse lying on the floor.

“I killed him for nothing. I failed him, failed us all, and it’s still out there.”

“You did what you had to do, don’t blame yourself.”

“How can I not? I’ve been chasing it for over sixty years now and I’m still no closer to finding it! We’d never been this close before and then … it knew we were coming Ghelios. It knew all along and was just toying with us, I’m sure of it.”

“The entire operation was protected by my own wards, if it managed to breach even those then it would mean it was even more powerful than we had imagined.”

“I know. But it’s the only explanation.”

The resultant pause hung across the room, stretching out ever longer. Both men were thinking about the same thing, the earliest scrolls describing the jar had contained vague allusions to the demon’s identity, describing it as “The Lord of the Deep Dark”.

Had that description been something more than just poetic licence?

Last edited by DaveTheMagicWease; Apr 12th, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Chick 'n Wings

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 441
Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny
Continuation

Rass followed the arsonist with squinted eyes, anger boiling up inside of him. This was cruel. The Kech Volaar could never defend themselves against these numbers he had to do something.

A large bugbear stepped out of the ranks of the other goblinoids pointing long nailed finger at the shifter. "Theys have a dog to bark at Forot and his band." He started to bark at the shifter, trying to mock him to do something rash. Rass scowled at the Bugbear, but remained where he was. He had been called names before, tempted into fights he could not win. Rass would fight for what is right, but when the moment was his.

The bugbear turned to chuckle with the rest of his band, showing his back to the shifter-dog, seemingly unimpressed.

---
"No Worg-riders."

"Miraene, take Zaeles and one other of your choice and find their Worg-riders. No fancy fireworks, yet." he said, allowing himself a thin smile.

Miraene nodded and turned to leave, a quick gesture to Hirrae was enough to have him follow. She would complete the task without trouble now that he warned her about the fireballs. Miraene always listened to what he said, but her fondness of loud and aggressive magics was something he needed take into account every time he send her on a mission.

Confident that there would be no problems with the Worg-riders he turned to watch what happened to the Shifter and his goblinoids.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Surreal
when: about 30 years ago
where: some god forsaken trench, like every other

The battleworn field crawls with the freshly undead as the Kaarnathi army slowly advances. Their pace is slow and methodical. The commanders push without fear of losing troops; every new inch of land they seize simply gives them more to command. It is like trying to hold back the tide with your bare hands.

"This looks bad Sul" remarks Jordan as he looks out from the foxhole at the approaching army.

"oh it could be worse"

"how in the hells could this be worse?"

"it could be me sitting in that patch of itchweed rather than you"

"the wha?... oh shards! you're a real laugh riot you know that?" as he flips some dirt in Sul's direction

"we're outnumbered 4 to 1 against the living dead Jord... I'm gonna take my laughs where I can get 'em."

There is a bit of an unnerving silence "... you think we're going to make it through this?"

"I don't know man"

"you're supposed to say yes"

"would that make you feel better?"

"not really"

"then why should I say it?"

"because somebody has to"

"true enough, true enough"

The sounds of clattering bone and metal starts to ring in from across the field. The men in the trenches begin to shift uneasily, murmurs and whispers belying their fear. They are mostly fresh recruits, only a few have even seen real combat before, and here they were against terrible odds, expected to hold the line and wait for reinforcements.

"You have any family back home Jord?"

"A brother. Government type, not really sure what he does. You?"

"I have a wife, a daughter, she'll be five in a few weeks"

"lucky man"

"thank you..."

"you'll see them again Sul"

"are you just saying that?"

"... somebody has to."

Last edited by Surreal; Apr 14th, 2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Moonatic

Tools
User Statistics
ChristopherGroves
"Take who you can; I'll do my best to buy some time."

Turning, the shifter peered out the window. He closed his eyes half way, murmuring incantations. One of the goblins shrieked as a shadowy pack of wolves appeared in the inn's dining room, then padded silently out the back door. The second pack was less a surprise ... as was the third and fourth.

Satisfied, the shifter moved to the front door and launched himself into the causeway. One of the bugbears pointed, mocking him.

"Theys have a dog to bark at Forot and his band."

... more than one ...

A split second later, the shifter charged the bugbears. They were amused, mostly. What could one do against their band, nearly a score of bugbears strong? He was bigger than a goblin, but one shifter against all of them? Confident ... secure in what they thought they knew.

What they didn't know is that their skirmishers, the outriders that protected their flanks and could have seen the summoned wolves, had been dispatched.

What they didn't know was that a host of feral killers had flanked them and were waiting for the right moment to strike.

What they didn't know is that the shifter was the distraction.

Stunned by the ferocity of the shifter, the bugbears barely reacted as he charged through their ranks, straight towards their commander.

---------------------------------------------

Zaeles and Thalion watched from their vantage, unseen by those in the village.

It was a bloody, messy minute. The wolves exacted their price, then faded back into the mists and shadows. The shifter, after first dispatching the bugbear leader, cut a swath of red through their ranks. At times, his features indistinct and shadowy ... at others, nearly indistinguishable from the predators he'd summoned.

Seeing movement to the west, Zaeles pointed.

"The goblin's secondary - double the count so far."

Thalion considered the situation.

Last edited by ChristopherGroves; Apr 14th, 2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Chick 'n Wings

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 441
Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny
"Formidable warrior, wouldn't you say?" Thaelion pondered out loud.

"He is. Shame he meets his demise this way." Zaeles mentioned without asking. Thaelion heard a trace of regret in her voice. It was a shame he met his demise.

"Do you think he's worthy of more glory?" he said softly as he turned his vision towards the battlefield. Thick bloodsplatters flew away from a small hole within the lines of the goblinoids. A loud yelp of pain clearly came from the Shifter. He had put up a formidable fight, but he was clearly outnumbered.

Zaeles followed his gaze and stoically looked at the battlefield. She'd seen enough death to not be shocked by it anymore. "I do." she whispered. With that they had acknowledge the shifters existence.

"With that second warband coming up he has no chance of surviving, even with the dispatched Worg-riders.” He turned to the members of Moradae. His ice blue eyes were warm and passionate. "Mount up for glory my fellow warriors.”

With only that said he mounted his own steed. He patted her twice on the neck. ”Ready for combat?” The horse stomped her hoof down twice. ”I agree. What are wasting time for,” he grinned.

He reached for his Zaelta and placed it in front of his face, leaving only a gap for his eyes. He then touched his Zealshin Tu and whispered softly to himself, from the corner of his eyes he could see the others were doing the same.”Bolar Masarori and Syffeala Kaeraer, I am but a shard of your souls. Broken glass reforged into one. Bolar guide my blade in your honor. Syffeala weave my magic with your blessing. May I do honor to you both.”

Thaelion waited one more second, and without looking back he willed his horse to start running. Within mere moments the steed reached her full speed as she thundered down the hill. Moradae followed in his tracks. When they were close enough to the goblinoids they yelled and screamed their warcries.

”GLORY IS OURS TO HONOR THE DEEDS!” Thaelion yelled as he arced his exotic weapon trough the goblinoids, cleaving skulls as he went past. As Moradae plowed through ranks of goblins, bugbears and other vile creatures Thaelion looked for the shifter. Within moments he found him.

Its fur was sticky with blood and its chest heaved in pain. Growls of anger and frustration escaped its troth. The goblins had formed a small circle around him, poking with weapons of reach. They had started playing with him. The confusion brought by Moradae had caught their attention however, that moment of losing sight of the shifter proved fatal. A thin smile formed under Thaelion Zaelta.

Thaelion kept on plowing through the goblinoids. When he reached open space once more he jumped of his horse and ordered it to take shelter. Thaelion looked at a group of Goblins charging him while shrieking in their strange language. These were mere obstacles, like lifting your foot to climb stairs. Nothing more than annoying. Thaelions blade weaved patrons trough the air, cutting and cleaving through large numbers.

Last edited by Magpie Manny; Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DaveTheMagicWease
I hadn't got round to this before fil attacked, and since it now looks like we won't make it back to the temple I'm gonna retroactively insert it:

((In the Temple of the Long Death, before the demons attacked,in between this and this ))

Gwyn walked out onto the battlements in a daze, he had spent what seemed like an age rifling through dusty old manuscripts, struggling to read the faded print and to identify the obscure dialects. Tantalising hints were easy to come by, but solid information was less forthcoming. He hated the thought of trying to fight a war with such paltry intelligence.

He rubbed his tired eyes and took in the scene above him. He stood atop the highest spire of the temple, perhaps even the highest point in all of Eberron and looked out upon the swirl of storm clouds. Storms in the Beyond were of no ordinary character, the swirl of colours and flash of ancient and primal energies could be seen by the naked eye, and to Gwyn's eye the clouds revealed a true kaleidoscope of shifting patterns. It was said in some ancient texts that one could read the future of the world in those flashes, and so he continued to observe, watching as the clouds rumbled ever closer to his position.

The rains fell about him, the wind tugged at him, sought to pull him from the balcony, but he stood firm. Lightning flashed, and flashed again, over and over, and still he stood. Lightning struck at the staff in his hand, the bolts of energy lashing against the crystal atop it until it shone with an emerald radiance and the staff itself burned with a searing heat in his hand, and still he stood.

He did not move, he waited.

The roar of the wind and the storm grew greater still, and he raised his staff above his head and and the unnatural lightning flashed once more, striking him full on until his whole being filled with the same searing heat as the staff.

Yet still he stood, and the storm died.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC:
I'm not adding all this stuff in until after the current encounter (when I fully expect Gwyn to level), and will be paying appropriate costs, but this is RP for various mechanics:
- hours spent in the temple library = adaptation of the Athenaeum of Boccob Magical Location
- Storm = Metamagic Storm Magical Location
- Lightning bolt suffuses the staff and converts it to the "Runestaff of Sacred Light" that I'm switching to (haven't made much use of the current one after all).
- Gwyn himself is suffused with holy/magical energy, giving him a Permanencied Blessed Sight and Arcane Sight.

Last edited by DaveTheMagicWease; Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1700
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
The bitter wind blew cold across the chipped summits of the Shadow Crags, separated from the Eldeen Reaches, beyond the Labyrinth, the Burning Keep pulsed, releasing a bolt of dark energy into the sky
That was NOT ordinary
And that is why Dart was there.. looking for not ordinary. with a deep sigh, the shifter dropped from the craggy mountaintops, hoping to be first to alert his master of the event....

----------------------------

It was perfect. Every mark, every angle, the composition of metals and precios stones. Perfect.
It has to be. The summoning of creatures from beyond this world was risky business. Meticulous was average. Obsessed was the standard. This was perfect.
The beast that stood within the circle scrutinized the handiwork... the aged woman outside the barrier stood nervously. It had been a full ten seconds since she had issued her first command, and the creature still did not respond.
"I brought you here, beast!"
She barked, betraying her nervousness,
"I am in no mood for games! Obey!"

The circle was perfect, Identical to the last five circles the woman had used to forrce the fiend into servitude.
But the rules had changed. This was no longer The circle. The witch would have to research far older tomes to perform the proper rite of bonding now.

A flick of abyssal magic sent the woman spiralling into darkness.
The malign creature might let her know what went wrong... what changed.
Maybe.
But there were many hours ahead to squeeze every dark emotion from the waif of a mortal. All her power tasting so delicious on a platter of regret.

And then it would be time to attend to the real reason it had come....

-------------------------------------

Varkul let out a deep sigh of contentment. The massive airship spiralled to destruction far below, and the air was quiet so far above the surface of khorvaire.
"Lord, what is our next move?"
Varkul contiued to bask in the glory of entering the mateial world without a summoning ritual... just as promised.

But enjoying freedom would have to wait. There was an agreement to fulfill.
"Now we claim the nexus, and take over the world."
Varkul faded from the sky, followed by it's minions.
Sliding into the Beyond, they rejoined the battle raging around the Nexus within the Temple of Long Death. Reinforcements were arriving, and that was even better news. Varkul's tentative allies were following through on their side of the bargain, and it would only be a matter of time before the monks would finally fall...
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5923
Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy
He opened his eyes to discover a world of white. He had the impression of great movement but could not immediately discern ‘up’ or ‘down’. Massive hands reached to his face – his own hands, his own face – to rub grit off of his skin. They came away flecked with blood; glittering brassy in the bright ambient light. Soon he felt as though he was leaning against a wall of air. Soon after that his body burst through the edge of the white cloud and out into the blue sky of a spring day.

Memory of Booming Voice
”Cast Out!”

His body rolled so that his back faced the ground allowing his arms and legs to point towards the cloud above him. A vibration at his back suggested two more appendages: two grey feathery/leathery wings unfolded from their tucked mooring to flutter on each side of him, trailing above like tattered battlefield pennants. Lazily, his eyes began to blink away the confusion. Slowly, his mind began to recognize the pain.

Memory of Booming Voice
”Again!”

Agony can bring a sudden awareness of all things. It can also force the current environment into the background while the brain copes with the variety of warning signals being sent from every corner of the body. Although he could detect no specific injury, every inch of his skin was splattered with drying red blood. The metallic sheen looked like the subcutaneous glimmer of brass below his own stone-grey hide.

Memory of Booming Voice
”Prove It!”

The white cloud, now noticeably darkening at the perimeter, began to recede above him. He struggled to turn his body over so that he could see the ground. Upon turning, he wished he had not. Traveling at roughly 500 miles per hour he struck a body of water.

--

A stone giant of ordinary height and extra-ordinary build crawls out of a newly-formed depression in a newly-exposed riverbed. The surrounding bank, grassy field, and limited trees have been drenched by the sudden departure of water following the sudden collision of this giant with this river. As he places his second hand on the rim of the void, water trickles past his fingers. With only a few more moments before the river's unending flow returns to normal, he knows he must get to high ground or be swept away in his weakened state.

Or drown. It would have to be a significant current to move his three-quarter-ton bulk... But he has limited interest in fighting that battle.

Without thinking consciously he requests that stones just under the remaining layer of silt joint together and project above the surface to form smooth hand- and footholds. Three half-hearted leg thrusts project him to the grass where he puts a tree trunk in a headlock. He throws first one leg, then the other over the bank head and lays heaving for several minutes.

His eyes stare unblinking at the slowly drifting clouds above him.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
That one looks like a serpent with cloven hooves... That one looks like a fattened child with nubby horns... That one might be a set of nightmarish plate armor with spiked elbows and barbed shoulder fins... His left arm trails in the nearby water, but is barely moving in the swiftly flowing current. The bare knuckles of that hand tap-tap-taptap on the river floor having cleared the silt away and exposed a patch of washed stone just below the surface. Several fish have been attracted to the sound and the faint shimmer of brassy-green, but most have retreated after a few hesitant pecks at the grey flesh.

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
He has dropped off to sleep. Again. He has rolled away from the flowing water, finding no solace in its quiet power. Stout brass bands adorn half of his forearms just above the wrist and a worn chain mail shirt stops above his knees. There is otherwise nothing of note about this 12 foot tall grey-skinned giant. His eyelids flutter briefly as his dreams strike a nerve.

Succession of imagesGoliath Clan Brah'Trak of the Stony Foot Hills: A group of five well-armed Goliaths led by a Shaman-Elder stand in blunt defiance. Unwelcoming and dubious.

Dwarven Community Stalag: Wide toothy grins shine past nests of beard during play and war. A fierce group of under-mountain-born allies.

Giant Tribunal: A semi-regular gathering of Giants seated in the center of an amphitheater in the round high atop the rocky crags of the Hawkhaven Ridges. Politically charged and difficult to negotiate with.

Village of the Hell Fields: This group of humans has been trying to grow crops in a particularly unfriendly valley filled with stones and sinkholes. Tough and superstitious.
(DM= this would be great shadow marches territory)

Circle of Life: Dressed in white and wielding swords of ivory and steel, this motley group of warriors often ends the day bathed in blood. Extreme Law - no negotiations.
(DM= outland/7 heavens organization in the Beyond)

Jaques d'Lumbre: Tradesmen dealing in the ever-necessary collection and transport of trees and wood from high-altitude forest to river ports. Free-spirited and risk-taking, based in the mountain town of Lumbre.

Brightest Lyte: The Beneficent. The Philanthropist. The Laughing Friend. The Unstoppable Enemy. Falls from the Sky. Erupts from the Earth. "Go Forth, Do My Bidding."

Blackest Nyte: Dead. All dead. The grass, the sky, the trees and the earth: All dead.

Last edited by Fil kearney; Sep 3rd, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
RockFoot stood impassively, but still passively. His great, strong frame held no violence, holding all violence at bay. His shoulders appeared to slouch slightly, his head to sit on a very short neck: both because of the bulging flesh joining his back, neck, and arms. A wide chest rippled stomach accentuated his frame: not round like a barrel but lithe like an athlete. Still, intimidatingly strong. Country strong - like an ox only times fifty.

The Goliaths in attendance wore a mixture of emotions. An intense and playful race, these powerful men and women had gathered for their annual games and found themselves in a subtle dance of the divine. This brought both joy and concern, competition and compassion. Many of these issues were above Rock's awareness. But he did recognize the importance to these hard-working folk.

The strongest among the Goliath Clan of Brah'Trak of the Stony Foot Hills was a mountain of a man named Ylligauth. RockFoot had thus far kept the contests close, with the Goliath champion getting quite close to victory in the wrestling match. But the next competition was SpeakChucking, and Ylligauth had the throwing arm of the wind itself. He could toss a weighted gnome over the River Wyde, or so his mother said. And RockFoot had not picked up a gnome for decades.

Fortunately, they were going to throw Spears.

The contest was one of accuracy as well as distance. The target was a goatskin filled with leaves and wood grubs: the traditional goat-ball that was eaten by the victor. The distance would increase two times to a maximum of 600 feet. For most Chuckers this distance allowed little more than a blind toss. For Ylligauth is was a daily ritual.

---
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
As host the returning champion was privileged to go first. With Goliaths like Ylligauth the only thing more important than sportsmanship was winning. He considered nudging RockFoot out of the way, but stepped beside him instead. The Spear was in a beefy hand balanced over his right shoulder, the narrow shaft stuck out each way like a tree trunk. With one half-step forward and a slight backswing motion, he let the spear fly towards the goatskin ball as it hung on a fence post 100 feet away.

The trajectory of the projectile was slight, but noticeable. A moment later it stuck into the wood of the post less than a handsbreadth below the ball. To stick the spear in the post was exceptional, and the crowd of Goliaths released a cheer. RockFoot smiled his approval and hefted the spear he was told to throw. He felt the balance in his hand as he looked towards the target with a hand over his eyes to shield off glare. As he bounced the spear on his palm it fell to the ground and rolled off of his foot to settle under the wagon of gaming equipment.

With a shake of his head and a mumbled apology he stooped to reach under the cart. With two hands he lifted up on the cart's underside and abruptly stood up. Heaving his hands over his head, he tossed the cart easily 100 feet, crashing on the spot of the fencepost, goat ball, and Ylligauth spear.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
Ylligauth opened his mouth to protest, then saw Rock's grinning face. He shut his mouth and grabbed another spear from the pile that fell out of the cart. Changing his direction slightly, he spied the next target further in the distance. This goatball was sitting on a rugged stone next to a waterfall. The humidity and temperature changes in that area would make this additionally challenging. With a two step approach, the Goliath launched a truly remarkable heave. The spear struck the rock and tore off a chunk of the goatball.

More raucous applause followed, and he was offered two women as a reward for a champion's effort.

Rock stared at the damaged goatball and lifted another spear. He looked at the spear this time, ensuring that its smooth shaft would stay in his hand. He was about to take a step towards the target when he doubled over in a tremendous sneeze. As part of the action of this sternutation, his right arm seized and dislodged the spear straight up in the air. In less than a moment it was gone to the heavens.

Three seconds later it impacted with the goatball and the rock. The rock split in half.

Ylligauth was non-plussed.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
The last target was located on the far side of one of the Clan's only wooden structures: a storage barn. The two competitors were shown the target then led away from it 600 feet, then to the right so that the barn obstructed their view of the poor little goatball. Ylligauth sized up his throw and checked the wind. He waited for a gust to pass, then lofted his weapon in a high arc over the barn. No one was allowed to check his accuracy until Rock threw as well.

The Giant Man discarded the spear that was offered to him. Instead he held out his hand palm up and a spear appeared without equal. Its shaft was six inches in diameter and 12' long. The head was made of brass, but was as durable as steel. The whole length seemed to have been on fire at some point, but there was no ash or soot remaining - just black wood.

He raised his over his shoulder, leaned back, and took one step forward in a proper throwing motion. The spear gained minimal height, surely destined to plant itself in the wood of the barn. Instead, however, it broke through each wall in quick succession ending in a solid thunk on the goatball.