Other Jaunt: A custom system playtest about interdimensional travellers - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old May 2nd, 2023, 05:35 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23783
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ut View Post
Not sure if I can commit to another a game yet, but the premise and the prospect of being a playtester are definitely tempting.

Anyway, I skimmed through the rules, and the Method+Utility approach looks elegant and versatile, however I wonder how "non-numerical" aspects are to be represented: for example, talking about more exotic characters, let's imagine triton-like folk who can breath underwater, or a guy who can simply fly with a jetpack.
Would such things be represented with Utilities? Would they just be abstracted as numerical bonuses (in the sense that abilities like "flying" and "water-breathing" wouldn't matter per se, but merely as means to accomplish something)?
Currently there's no rules support for it. It's just something that's never a risk for you, or the risks are more environmental. If you're swimming to a wreck, then the threat of drowning would probably never be a factor for a water-breather. Maybe there's still be a move to account for factors detailing predators or environmental threats, or finding the wreck in prompt timing. If there's not enough viable risk or interesting choice in outcome, maybe there just wouldn't be a move. Depends on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ut View Post
A couple observations and doubts, after delving more deeply:
  1. Is the creation mentioned in the Creator's second trait considered a Utility? Would it cost Stuff to make? Or is something else entirely that can be used on top of an actual Utility?
  2. About improvements:
    • Can the increment relative to Utility creation/improvement be of any value (hard cap aside), for example going from +2 to +5 by paying 10 Stuff in one go? Unlike the following options it isn't specified a +1 increment.
    • The cost of increments seems to depend on the "order of operations": let's say I want to take an Archetype that increases X by +1, and also increase X by another +1 (so to a total of 2+X), if I take the Archetype first, it'd cost me 14+2X, vice versa 12+2X. Is this intended?
- Creator: no. It's just a floating +1 and it doesn't cost your actual Stuff at this stage. If you dive into advanced archetypes, there are traits among some sets there that do allow for creating works that can be used as Utilities.
- Improvements: You might've picked up on some interesting bugs, actually. As it's something that doesn't wildly affect character generation for this app, I'll defer a ruling right now and appraise properly when I have time (as I type this my son is rolling across my lap demanding breakfast).

Last edited by HotsuSama; May 2nd, 2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 09:01 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
If you're reading this, Connor, hope everything's okay on your end.

On improvements, I've had a moment to myself now and:
- Utility cost: You're right, that's out of sync with the rest as written. The intent had been for everything to be roughly equal for improvements, so I'll adjust that to say all improvement costs are +1 incremental. There may be exceptions allowed outside of this, such as a Utility being offered as a unique reward on an objective.
- Order: You're fundamentally correct on order, but you've raised an interesting issue - archetype purchasing, especially its static cost, doesn't align well with the incremental costs, creating situations like this. Truth be told, no one's ever bought an extra archetype in playtesting before, so the issue's never come up! For now I'll leave as is but there might be revisions there in future errata.

Also loving the apps so far! I've just been logging basic details right now to keep track. Some quick feedback:
  • Classic Gamer: looks good, but don't forget to grab a motive prompt!
  • Chylopan: looks like you can still add +1 strength and +1/+1 Energy to any Method/s. Also need a motive prompt.
  • Wynamoinen: You helped me find a typo! Scholar should be a bonus to Intellect energy, not Presence. Also, don't forget you can only grab one trait from each archetype, not both. The Utility you flagged ... honestly might be alright. Having a danger sense is within the purview of what can be done with Utilities, so maybe we'll leave it for now and see if it creates issues in usage later on.
  • psuedenim: As above, typo on Scholar means the Energy boost is to Intellect, not Presence. You also can still add your +1 strength and +1/+1 Energy to any Method/s, and need to select your specific archetypal traits. I'm glad you detailed your Utilities, as the descriptions are almost too flavoursome, but they seem to work well.

Old May 2nd, 2023, 09:53 PM
Immortal Celtic Monk

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2089
Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
If you're reading this, Connor, hope everything's okay on your end.
So... I'm actually doing AMAZING! And, more to the point, I feel absolutely foolish. I spoke for 5 mins to my wife (she is overseas at the moment as a deployed soldier), and the discussion was okay but not (I felt) ideal. I basically panicked and removed myself from this game before anything official was committed to, in concern that I'd be forced to abandon the site at a later date.

However, I was soooo wrong. I got a chance to speak to her for far longer today, and the "bad news" was actually good news in an indirect way. She unfortunately has to stay a little longer than previously figured (the bad), but her Warrant promotion went through, so she's now the ACO (acting commanding officer) of her battalion/locale, and we're making a lot more money. So... if you'll permit me to formally apologize, I'd like to either reapply with Tripp, or reconsider something a little more left field (but still grounded in "reality"), for this campaign. (I think I'll play around with some 7e Gamma World character builder stuff and see what some fun random concept I can spring up!) :chuckle:

Character Application

Last edited by Connor; May 3rd, 2023 at 12:05 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 11:54 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3672
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Thanks. Prompt updated.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1304
Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Order: You're fundamentally correct on order, but you've raised an interesting issue - archetype purchasing, especially its static cost, doesn't align well with the incremental costs, creating situations like this.
Well, a solution could be as simple as making the archetype cost a fixed baseline plus the prices of the corresponding increments (which are already defined above).
Although then you may end up with dumb dudes having an easier time becoming scholars than peak intellect folks.

Or alternatively you may make it so that only the base value (so excluding archetype bonuses) factors in the increment cost. But that would mean having to keep track of another score.

Last edited by Cap Ut; May 3rd, 2023 at 04:08 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 09:09 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41373
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
@Connor: if you'd prefer me to un-delete your previous app, it is within my power to do that.

@HotsuSama: Great, fixes made! I'm now full of Intellect energy, and I've picked my one archetype ability for each case. Please do just give me a poke if that "uncanny" utility ends up needing adjustment. I honestly imagine it working mostly like a plain-old D&D Insight proficiency for the most part. But in a rules-light system, it could come in handy to spin it more in the weird direction if an in-game scenario nudges us in that direction.

I've only read the first half or so of your rules book, so I don't really understand the build discussion going on. I certainly want to keep my initial mechanics simple. I'll obviously read the whole rulebook if I end up as part of the game.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 10:30 AM
Immortal Celtic Monk

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2089
Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen
@Connor: if you'd prefer me to un-delete your previous app, it is within my power to do that.
Thank you for the offer. Had I not spent all of yesterday redoing an entirely different concept, I might have taken you up on that offer. However, if the GM (@HotsuSama) isn't okay with or doesn't greenlight my newest concept, and prefers the other one... I may ask retroactively.

Last edited by Connor; May 3rd, 2023 at 10:34 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 10:37 AM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8014
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
I fleshed out Naja's background, and I now think the application is complete.

If anything is done incorrectly, or I need to clarify something, lemme know.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 12:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6834
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Updated traits. My jury-rigger utility sounds a lot like an archetype trait for creator is this OK? (Sorry haven't read rules yet but will soon just finishing up WWN)

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 12:17 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19919
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
So, while I'm not known for being the most concise writer, I'd like to claim tentative interest, because the whole concept of this game and system sounds pretty rad! I'm sure that I can aim for a character that doesn't need too much narration to be compelling too.

That said, it's tentative interest because I'm so committed across the board and will have to do some self-reflection about my current schedule. A post rate of once per week seems realistic for me, but I'm wondering, did you have a rough outline for the duration of this playtest adventure?
Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:58 PM
Gealdricge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7141
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
the utilities mechanic seems similar to the way backgrounds are done in 13th age.
There, it is often more useful to have fewer broad ranging things (Like 'Captain of the Azure Guard 3' which can be used for combat, social and even some knowledge purposes) than a bunch of low level specific things ('swordsmanship 1', 'diplomacy 1', 'streetwise 1' which are both narrower and less impactful on any given die roll). The only real challenge is convincing your GM how 'underwater basket weaving 3' relates to the current situation.

Last edited by kanly; May 3rd, 2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 06:09 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29448
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Is it too late to toss my hat in the ring? I figure if we're gonna be time-hopping, might be good to have someone who knows how to fit in. Totally accepting and appreciative of feedback!

Also, are Conversation, Persuasion, and Gossip pretty much the same thing? I could just make them a 3 under one label (or a 2, and pick up another skill). And are we dealing with language issues at all?

StatsName: Alexandra Vasile
Motive: Family: You share something personal with a fellow jaunter.

Archetypes / Traits:
  • Socialite: Add +1 strength for any move that relies on changing the emotional state of others
  • Leader: Add +1 strength for any move that relies on rallying support using Presence.
Misfortune: 0/6
Rift: 0/6

Stuff: 0
Lessons: 0

Body
  • Impaired: No
  • Strength: +1
  • Energy: 3/3
Intellect
  • Energy: 4/4
Presence
  • Strength: +4
  • Energy: 5/5
Utilities
  • Etiquette: 2
  • Culture: 2
  • Languages: 1

Last edited by The Rat Queen; May 7th, 2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 08:45 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
Whew, let me start some responses! I still need to go back and re-read updates and that won't happen right away, so I'll probably do a batch-read on the weekend.

@Connor: that's great RL news, and welcome back! Your new character seems fine, as did your old character, so just down to preference. At a glance I'm wondering whether your Utilities may have a little overlap in practical usage. So yes, maybe a tad broad.

@Cap Ut: Base + Increment may be the most straightforward way to do it. Might even scale for basic being a little cheaper base than advanced. I'll think about it.

@psuedenim: I don't see having both that Utility and that trait being a problem. If it does end up wonky it'd be something we address after seeing things in action.

@Mindsiege: Nothing set in stone for duration. Jaunt itself is not meant to be for saga-length campaigns though. Because it's so sandbox-y in concept it's really the sort of thing where the duration/scale will be influenced by the players - whether they have big omniverse-spanning agendas are just want to Doctor Who it around the omniverse and see cool stuff.

@Rat Queen: Welcome! I like how you've gone all-in on Presence. And yeah, your social Utilities could definitely be pooled into a general 'Friendly Rapport' style single item. There's no straight-out rules for language ATM; it might be the sort of thing that could come up as opposing factors in appropriate situations.

Last edited by HotsuSama; May 3rd, 2023 at 08:45 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 11:11 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Stats
right-aligned image

Name: Jackie Moon
Motive: Hedonism: You deny yourself your vice, to focus on something important.

Archetypes / Traits:
  • Creator: Choose a creative or practical discipline (alchemy). You can make a move to create something in your discipline. If it’s a success, you gain a floating +1 strength that can be applied to any future move that would use the resulting work. You can only have one of these at any given time.
  • Visionary: Once between pit stops, you can avoid immediate consequences on an uncleared factor on an Intellect move (you still receive Misfortune).
Misfortune: 0/6
Rift: 0/6

Stuff: 0
Lessons: 0

Body
Intellect
  • Strength: +3
Presence
  • Strength: +2
Utilities
  • Advanced alchemy: 3
  • Tinkering: 1
  • Negotiating: 1
Concept
Motive: Jackie isn't necessarily addicted, but she's utterly fascinated with making things go boom. It doesn't fit into mischief though, because she highly prefers not inconveniencing anybody and giving her explosions some higher purpose. Decorative explosions are nice, like fireworks. But explosions that actually benefit someone, now those are something you might actually get praised for. That's why Jackie is jaunting across the omniverse in the hopes of finding opportunities and justification to perform her special brand of art.

Original reality: Jackie comes from a reality that's more hex-tech and fantasy in its scope. However, in that reality she was pretty much on the top of its leading alchemical science, if though with a bit of a reputation due to her social awkwardness. It's more of a raised eyebrows kind of deal though. She didn't want to be a military scholar or weapon smith so officially she was a researcher in the field of transmutation and alchemical concoctions. Her current lifestyle is more something that she blossomed into when she got her jauntbox. And even then she prefers to be responsibly irresponsible. She can stomach being misunderstood, but she doesn't enjoy causing other people misery. And her craft is actually a lot more versatile than merely creating explosions. That's just her creative muse.

Last edited by Mindsiege; May 4th, 2023 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 11:19 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
@HotsuSama:
Jackie would be the concept that's floating in my mind, but I'm not fully sold on either of Hedonism's motive prompts. She has a pretty clear vice, but I think it's not necessarily one that has a lot of opportunities to find an outlet. So on one hand, I feel like bonding with non-jaunter kindred spirit will be kind of a rare occasion, though she'll be regularly on the lookout to make "contracts" that justify indulging herself. On the other hand, while she's got those mad scientist vibes, she's actually quite conscientious about her proclivities. So I'm wondering how often the choice between acting on her vice and focusing on something important might come up. If she actually finds an opportunity to indulge herself, then she'll be hard-pressed to prioritize other things. But if it's a choice between merely seeking that opportunity before it presents itself and doing something that actually looks important, she might have a choice that's too easy because acting on her vice might be a bit of a rare treat in any case.

Can you give me some guidance there?

Last edited by Mindsiege; May 4th, 2023 at 12:16 AM.