Other Jaunt: A custom system playtest about interdimensional travellers - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old May 4th, 2023, 02:13 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 251
LearningByFalling LearningByFalling LearningByFalling
Si

Assuming I can apply, I am. This will be edited as I fill it out and read things. Hold on, should be done tonight.

EDIT:

StatsName: Si
Motive:[*]HEROISM|You’re compelled to fix what you find broken, and get satisfaction from making each reality you encounter a little better than the way you found it.|You earn energy when (choose one):
  • You take up the cause of someone you’ve just met

Archetypes / Traits:[list]
WARRIOR|A seasoned combatant.|+1 Body strength, +1 Body energy|Traits:
  • During a challenge, any move aiming to hurt or injure someone else receives +1 strength.
SCHOLAR|Enthusiasts of truth and knowledge.|+1 Intellect strength, +1 Presence energy|Traits:
  • Add +1 strength to a move reliant on research or studying data.
Misfortune: 0/6
Rift: 0/6

Stuff: 0
Lessons: 0

Body
  • Impaired: No
  • Strength: +2
  • Energy: 4/4
Intellect
  • Strength: +3
Presence
  • Strength: +1
Utilities
  • Observation: 2
  • Military Training: 2
  • Urban Survival: 1
Personality
Si believes in at least two things very strongly, one of them seems to be in being humble and not speaking.

Quirks
Si takes a lot of medication or is addicted to things, or he takes a lot of vitamins. He's paranoid, he often has a blank look outside his eyes, and he's as prepared as he can be for either combat or camping in a desolate area or an urban sprawl.

He has a military posture, and he sits with his backs to walls, facing entrances.

Last edited by LearningByFalling; May 4th, 2023 at 03:12 AM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 02:24 AM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23783
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
@Mindsiege: So, while explosives is her motif ... is it her vice? I agree that Hedonism is an awkward fit here, and you've already outlined that Mischief isn't what you're going for. What about Discovery? That might fit her hunger for opportunity as well as Hedonism fits her fixation.

LearningByFalling: Welcome! Take your time, I'll still have the shutters up here for a while yet.
Old May 4th, 2023, 03:09 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I think I did it, reading the full rules still.

EDIT:

I see none of us are willing to spawn in armed, at the price of a utility we could spend being good at something.

Last edited by LearningByFalling; May 4th, 2023 at 03:18 AM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 07:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1304
Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut
Cap Ut's AppName: Agni Drakontos
Motive: Loss. You earn energy when you make an earnest connection with someone or something.

Archetypes / Traits:
  • Creator: Choose a creative or practical discipline (engineering). You can make a move to create something in your discipline. If it’s a success, you gain a floating +1 strength that can be applied to any future move that would use the resulting work. You can only have one of these at any given time.
  • Warrior: During a challenge, any move aiming to hurt or injure someone else receives +1 strength.
Misfortune: 0/6
Rift: 0/6

right-aligned image
Stuff: 0
Lessons: 0

Body
  • Strength: +2
  • Energy: 6/6
Intellect
  • Strength: +3
  • Energy: 3/3
Presence
  • Strength: +1
  • Energy: 3/3
Utilities
  • Agni's innate ability to conjure and project raw furious energy.Entropic Projection: 3
  • Small scale matter and energy manipulation that lets Agni feel, affect or fashion substances, structures and mechanisms down to the atomic level.
    (Basically a very fancy and sophisticated multitool)
    Fine Kinesis: 2

Concept: A young near-human brimming with psionic energy who's searching for his missing adoptive mother.

Background: Agni's reality of origin consists of an ordinary physical universe parallel to an astral plane of existence. Since the dawn of humanity, history have been continuously influenced by the subtle psychic energies seeping from one realm to the other: thought, creativity and passion found such a fertile ground that civilization and progress developed at a particularly fast pace.
Perhaps too fast, as the trajectory of human history couldn't steer away from a catastrophic Great War that decimated the global population, collapsed entire ecosystems worldwide and even tore holes in the veil between Earth and the astral plane, such was the destructive power of the superweapons deployed by a too immature and frenzied mankind.

Anyhow, with time the planet healed, the process sped up by the wash of metaphysical essence spilled over. That very essence melded with those who survived, transforming them into something different yet familiar.
The Daimani, who have long since inherited the new Earth, are their descendants. They share virtually the same biology of their human precedessors, but display a much wider and more varied phenotypic variation. The most remarkable difference is however how their sentiments, beliefs and ideas can directly and physically shape the world around them. The varicolored mosaic of their society tends to be highly polarized and volatile as a result.
Whereas the mind of an average Daimani can't affect much by itself, the greater Daimanasuri (or Asuri for short) can individually exert their will upon reality via their extraordinary powers, and indeed play a significant role in history and culture.
But even the most powerful Asuri are themselves molded by those sentiments, beliefs and ideas they're born under.

And Agni was born to be a force of fury and destruction. Or at least that seemed to be the case until he crossed paths with the veteran explorer and jaunter Hypatia Drakontos.
During a mission on his homeworld, she ended up taking the troubled kid under her wing. She taught him many things, including how to create rather than destroy, and as the years passed, she pretty much made that singularly diverse and dynamic world her home too, essentially becoming the mother her protégé had never had.
Hypatia never let go of jaunting, though, in fact she still set off occasionally to do what she did best, braving and exploring the omniverse, but she always came back. Until she didn't.
After many grueling months void of any news of her, a most apprehensive Agni finally decided to embark on a nigh hopeless quest to find her; he adjusted a prototype jauntbox she left behind and performed his first ever jaunt. His journey across alternate realities just began.

Last edited by Cap Ut; May 15th, 2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 10:38 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29448
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningByFalling View Post

EDIT:

I see none of us are willing to spawn in armed, at the price of a utility we could spend being good at something.
I'd feel a lot better if the Warrior were packing heat!
Old May 4th, 2023, 11:08 AM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8014
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Quote:

EDIT:

I considered changing mine to have her start with a deadly weapon, since she's a special operative and all. Would make sense.

Does that go under "stuff" or is it still a utility?

EDIT: I added a sub machinegun under utilities. If it goes elsewhere on the sheet, I can move it about.

Last edited by Chylopan; May 4th, 2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 11:24 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1304
Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat Queen View Post
I'd feel a lot better if the Warrior were packing heat!
To be fair, my PC would pack literal heat with his energy blasts, but perhaps I should make that "Savage Outflow" more explicit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chylopan View Post
From what I understand, any "scored" equipment is Utility. Stuff is just a currency.

EDIT: "Savage Outflow" vs "Wild Energy Projection"?

Last edited by Cap Ut; May 4th, 2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 12:01 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19919
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
So, while explosives is her motif ... is it her vice? I agree that Hedonism is an awkward fit here, and you've already outlined that Mischief isn't what you're going for. What about Discovery? That might fit her hunger for opportunity as well as Hedonism fits her fixation.
I was thinking that Jackie's fascination with alchemical mayhem is a bit compulsive, but I agree that Hedonism is probably more fitting for a different sort of character. On the other hand, Discovery also seems a bit lacking for my understanding of what drives Jackie. Currently I'm looking at the other motives, and surprisingly Heroism and Loyalty might be better fits. Although she isn't properly heroic, "you take up the cause of someone you’ve just met" would be something that she is typically motivated by. On the other hand, if there was another jaunter that she could have a connection with and whom she could derive a justified cause for her own fixation from, then "you discuss your bond with someone who probably won’t understand" seems like something that could occur for her regularly. What do you think?

Last edited by Mindsiege; May 4th, 2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 05:44 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Cap Ut is correct: Stuff is just an abstract currency. Weapons, items and tools would commonly be Utilities, or just extra character notes if they have no mechanical bearing.

@Mindsiege: Hmm. I'll admit it's tricky to take up a motive potentially associated with another PC in this situation. Are there any apps so far that you think Jackie would share that kind of bond with, in your opinion?
Old May 4th, 2023, 06:30 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chylopan View Post
I considered changing mine to have her start with a deadly weapon, since she's a special operative and all. Would make sense.

EDIT: I added a sub machinegun under utilities. If it goes elsewhere on the sheet, I can move it about.
You would hope that the "Rifle" example includes the training and knowledge in how to use it.
Old May 4th, 2023, 06:45 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41373
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
I guess people are perhaps bringing different expectations into the game? I assumed that the game is primarily one of investigations and drama and social interactions. The idea that I would need to "spawn" into a new world ready to immediately conduct murders just honestly never crossed my mind. I can see the value in having a few folk ready to dish out violence could be handy in any kind of genre. But now I'm wondering whether people toting firearms are expecting a very different game than I am, and if so, if my expectations are wrong.
Old May 4th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
I guess people are perhaps bringing different expectations into the game? I assumed that the game is primarily one of investigations and drama and social interactions. The idea that I would need to "spawn" into a new world ready to immediately conduct murders just honestly never crossed my mind. I can see the value in having a few folk ready to dish out violence could be handy in any kind of genre. But now I'm wondering whether people toting firearms are expecting a very different game than I am, and if so, if my expectations are wrong.
One of the examples in the rulebook was spawning into the middle of a bank robbery. Now I don't know if you heard, bank robbers are insanely, heavily armed.

Sure, we could talk our way out or work with them, but that's assuming we A: like bank robbers (Or just hate whoever they're robbing) and B: can talk to people well.

Si is going in unarmed, purely because I'm not sacrificing his ability to understand weapons, in order to get some.
Old May 4th, 2023, 07:09 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Hmm. I'll admit it's tricky to take up a motive potentially associated with another PC in this situation. Are there any apps so far that you think Jackie would share that kind of bond with, in your opinion?
I looked at the other concepts, but nothing stuck out to me. While Jackie would be pretty loyal, I don't think that there is an obvious explanation for attaching herself to anyone in particular. While Jackie is definitely looking for opportunities to lend herself to a cause, she isn't quite as motivated to commit to a cause long-term. So if there was a jaunter that she was particularly loyal to, that might have needed initiation from the other side.

While I think a narrative for giving her a Loyalty motivation is definitely within the realm of possible, it might be easier to go with the other option. How well do you think Heroism fits? Given the description "you’re compelled to fix what you find broken, and get satisfaction from making each reality you encounter a little better than the way you found it", I think she's not that focused on fixing broken things, but she definitely hopes that her involvement in other verses will lead to improvement (at least for whatever side she picks), and she'd readily pick up another's cause, more likely even that of the good guys, if there's ever such a thing.

Alternatively, I really love the process of character creation. I think Jackie would be a fun concept to dig my teeth in, but I am also tempted to go back to the drawing board and to come up with another one. This time one that has a motive that's a bit more obvious. Now that I've fully read the other apps, I might also give the concept a different tone that's a bit more alternate earth. Jackie's original reality is sticking out like a thumb right now.

What's your preference?
Old May 4th, 2023, 07:12 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I guess people are perhaps bringing different expectations into the game? I assumed that the game is primarily one of investigations and drama and social interactions.
Oh, I just noticed that the game advert is missing the usual boxes for Theme and Flavour. It seems like that one is up to the players. Maybe we could use this thread to collaborate about that? I'm pretty much up for anything, but settling on a common theme and direction seems like a good idea before fully settling on a character concept.

@edit:
For what it's worth, I'd be totally happy to settle on making investigations, drama and social interactions the main focus.

Last edited by Mindsiege; May 4th, 2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 07:23 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
You would hope that the "Rifle" example includes the training and knowledge in how to use it.
Consider it an abstraction of both proficiency and weapon quality.

Quote:
Speaking broadly, there's room for both, but player input is a big factor. My IRL playtest group mostly toyed around with concepts like collecting parallel versions of themselves to form an 'identical siblings' carny act to befriend a crime lord. Probably a very Rick and Morty flavour, in hindsight. My original inspiration was actually early Sliders, but without the travel window restrictions.

I wouldn't say having armament Utilities would instantly lead to slaughter, but I understand your point about accounting for player expectations. I'd hope to be able to put together group/s (again, no promises on multiple groups) that have PCs that work well with each other in this regard.

Quote:
One of the examples in the rulebook was spawning into the middle of a bank robbery. Now I don't know if you heard, bank robbers are insanely, heavily armed.

Sure, we could talk our way out or work with them, but that's assuming we A: like bank robbers (Or just hate whoever they're robbing) and B: can talk to people well.

Si is going in unarmed, purely because I'm not sacrificing his ability to understand weapons, in order to get some.
Your counterpoint actually supports Wyn's point, IMO - that it doesn't have to be a guns-blazing situation, if the group isn't inclined to militaristic tactics and prefer smooth-talking their way through things. That example involves a Presence move, after all. You can create a more militaristic character, of course, but that doesn't diminish the effectiveness of non-militaristic characters.