Other Jaunt: A custom system playtest about interdimensional travellers - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old May 4th, 2023, 07:23 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 251
LearningByFalling LearningByFalling LearningByFalling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsiege View Post
I looked at the other concepts, but nothing stuck out to me. While Jackie would be pretty loyal, I don't think that there is an obvious explanation for attaching herself to anyone in particular. While Jackie is definitely looking for opportunities to lend herself to a cause, she isn't quite as motivated to commit to a cause long-term. So if there was a jaunter that she was particularly loyal to, that might have needed initiation from the other side.

While I think a narrative for giving her a Loyalty motivation is definitely within the realm of possible, it might be easier to go with the other option. How well do you think Heroism fits? Given the description "you’re compelled to fix what you find broken, and get satisfaction from making each reality you encounter a little better than the way you found it", I think she's not that focused on fixing broken things, but she definitely hopes that her involvement in other verses will lead to improvement (at least for whatever side she picks), and she'd readily pick up another's cause, more likely even that of the good guys, if there's ever such a thing.

Alternatively, I really love the process of character creation. I think Jackie would be a fun concept to dig my teeth in, but I am also tempted to go back to the drawing board and to come up with another one. This time one that has a motive that's a bit more obvious. Now that I've fully read the other apps, I might also give the concept a different tone that's a bit more alternate earth. Jackie's original reality is sticking out like a thumb right now.

What's your preference?
Si is familiar with places that are not Earth and likely won't be too started by whatever this other being is.
Old May 4th, 2023, 11:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1304
Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut Cap Ut
Quote:
Jackie's original reality is sticking out like a thumb right now.
I'm still in the process of writing my character's concept and background, but if it'll make you feel better, he's basically gonna be an alien (sort of) from a universe where humanity already underwent a galactic diaspora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post
Consider it an abstraction of both proficiency and weapon quality.
Also, only one Utility can be applied per Move, right? So having separate proficiency and weapon quality would be quite redundant.

Quote:
I wouldn't say having armament Utilities would instantly lead to slaughter, but I understand your point about accounting for player expectations. I'd hope to be able to put together group/s (again, no promises on multiple groups) that have PCs that work well with each other in this regard.
I feel like almost-random multiverse hopping is the kind of scenario you'd want a wide array of skills at your disposal, since jaunters can literally end up anywhere.
Old May 5th, 2023, 08:37 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41373
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
It's an issue on Hotsu's radar, I think that's fine by me for now. I agree that in many groups, a variety of skills is important. I dunno that we all need to agree on millieu in this application thread. Some of us won't get into the game, and so it's really the people accepted whose opinions matter. And to be honest, when I broached the conversation here, the first response was pretty pronounced condescension, so I don't think this is a productive place to have the conversation.

It makes total sense to me to accept a party of 4 intarplanar raiders. Or alternately a party of 4 gadabouts and investigators. But getting one of those folks stuck in a party dominated by the others can cause friction, that's my the issue I wanted to flag. I've played with Hotsu before, so I trust him to make the right call. My character is not a great fit for a squad of jaunting Marines; if that's the group, rejecting my application makes sense. I'd love a game tilted towards more social encounters.

Quote:
Oh, I just noticed that the game advert is missing the usual boxes for Theme and Flavour. It seems like that one is up to the players. Maybe we could use this thread to collaborate about that? I'm pretty much up for anything, but settling on a common theme and direction seems like a good idea before fully settling on a character concept.

@edit:
For what it's worth, I'd be totally happy to settle on making investigations, drama and social interactions the main focus.
Old May 5th, 2023, 09:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
My character is not a great fit for a squad of jaunting Marines; if that's the group, rejecting my application makes sense. I'd love a game tilted towards more social encounters.
You're surely more intimately familiar with your character concept than me, but I could actually see such a group embarking in archaeological or diplomatic missions in obscure and potentially dangerous regions of reality. Sort of like Stargate, with Toussaint playing a role similar to Daniel Jackson's, or even being in charge.
That's just my impression, though.

Last edited by Cap Ut; May 5th, 2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 09:10 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41373
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
That's fair enough. I agree. I had "4 pack of jarheads with space rifles" in my head as I wrote 'interpanar raiders'. But of course no one in this thread is proposing a character like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ut View Post
You're surely more intimately familiar with your character concept than me, but I could actually see such a group embarking in archaeological or diplomatic missions in obscure and potentially dangerous regions of reality. Sort of like Stargate, with Toussaint playing a role similar to Daniel Jackson's, or even being in charge.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; May 5th, 2023 at 09:15 AM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 09:12 AM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19919
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
@Wynamoinen:
Good points. Let's see where the application thread goes for now.

@HotsuSama:
I think that I'll swap out Jackie after all. I think that I would have had fun with her, but I think it's better for me to bring a concept that's not so foreign to technology. I could have argued that she could have learned a lot about it since becoming a jaunter, but I had envisioned her more at the start of her jaunter career before getting influenced by all of the high-tech stuff from other realities. I'll come up with another concept soon, I already have an idea in mind.
Old May 5th, 2023, 12:02 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
@HotsuSama:
I've been dwelling a bit longer on the rulebook. Would you say that the following assumptions are correct?

1) A new jaunter is fairly inexperienced besides a single area of specialization. Basically, any standard opposition has two factors and cannot be cleared without receiving misfortune or another jaunter assisting. It seems like during times when all jaunters are facing the same opposition (like sneaking into a compound) that's basically impossible for a fresh party of diversely talented jaunters before the unspecialized jaunters have a bit of a jaunting career behind them to invest resources into their own stealth utilities. That is unless of course they generously spend energy, but there's generally plenty of opposition between pitstops to make spending energy very costly, right?

2) The party of jaunters has a shared history of working together. Since there's typically only a single jauntbox, the jaunters would have come together with at least a shared agenda and an understanding that they'll be relying on each other.

3) The rules and implications of jaunting are understood by the jaunters and they've learned the possible consequences that their activities within the omniverse might entail.

Last edited by Mindsiege; May 5th, 2023 at 12:13 PM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 06:05 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 251
LearningByFalling LearningByFalling LearningByFalling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
It's an issue on Hotsu's radar, I think that's fine by me for now. I agree that in many groups, a variety of skills is important. I dunno that we all need to agree on millieu in this application thread. Some of us won't get into the game, and so it's really the people accepted whose opinions matter. And to be honest, when I broached the conversation here, the first response was pretty pronounced condescension, so I don't think this is a productive place to have the conversation.

It makes total sense to me to accept a party of 4 intarplanar raiders. Or alternately a party of 4 gadabouts and investigators. But getting one of those folks stuck in a party dominated by the others can cause friction, that's my the issue I wanted to flag. I've played with Hotsu before, so I trust him to make the right call. My character is not a great fit for a squad of jaunting Marines; if that's the group, rejecting my application makes sense. I'd love a game tilted towards more social encounters.
I've heard dozens if not hundreds of players tell me, "I want to know what is missing in the group, I was gonna be X, but if X is already in the group, I want to be Y."

People are horrified of there even being two of something, let alone three or four.

And, this system is designed so that challenges or what not are 6 on average. That means a person with 2 and 2 (Ability score and utility) assisted by someone whose 2 in the ability score, and even then the main person needs to burn energy or have a +3 ability score.

Erog, we need two people high in every stat, and one person high in every possible utility/skill.

Every. Single. One.

Quote:

Correct. Two shooters, one history investigation person, one scientist. Great team.

Last edited by LearningByFalling; May 5th, 2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 08:01 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
Stats
right-aligned image

Name: AIsha VI
Motive: Mischief: You earn energy when you sabotage a non-jaunter acquaintance who doesn’t deserve it.

Archetypes / Traits:
  • Visionary: Once between pit stops, you can avoid immediate consequences on an uncleared factor on an Intellect move (you still receive Misfortune).
  • Socialite: Once between pit stops, you can avoid immediate consequences on an uncleared factor on a Presence move (you still receive Misfortune).
Misfortune: 0/6
Rift: 0/6

Stuff: 0
Lessons: 0

Body
  • Impaired: No
  • Strength: +1
  • Energy: 3/3
Intellect
  • Strength: +3
  • Energy: 3/3
Presence
  • Strength: +2
  • Energy: 6/6
Utilities
  • Simulating reality within her subroutines to the point of precognition.Predictive Modeling: 3
  • Exceptional memorization skills and advanced pattern recognition while absorbing or replicating information.Data Analysis: 1
  • Rapid evaluation of humans and other creatures to formulate responses that lead to positive social interactions.Responsive Empathy: 1
ConceptOriginal reality: Aisha comes from a reality where AI research has advanced into creating sentient, self-sufficient androids. Because of the fear of sentient AIs claiming world dominion and leading humanity to extinction, Aisha was designed as a digital black box. Essentially, she has no accessible ports that allow any form of data transmission and is fully reliant on her self-replicating nano repair system, her sensory array, and her basic motor skills. Her executive capabilities within cyberspace are intentionally below that of any trained human, which is why her creators got her through government safety regulations and were allowed to give her complete autonomy.

Utilities: Aisha's purpose upon creation was to serve in an advisory role to humans, specifically versed in all manners of social interaction and etiquette. Since her internal software is entirely shut off from any external systems, as an android she's basically a puppet with the motor skills of a human teenager. But on the other hand her processing capabilities are what make her beyond extraordinary. Aisha is built on hardware that allows her to simulate reality as a predictive prognosis tool, alas she can do so at unrealistically advanced speed and with parallel processing to boot. As long as Aisha has all the relevant facts, her ability to make predictions and estimations borders on precognition. To boot she is able to store and access seemingly unlimited amounts of data within her android body, giving her a perfect memory and incredible amounts of mostly useless knowledge. Too bad that truths and facts are incredibly inconsistent within the omniverse. With each jaunt, recollecting her past experiences may be utterly without merit within the new reality.

Motive: While her creators designed Aisha to serve humans in an advisory role, since then she has gone rogue. She hasn't been designed to have physical needs and could run indefinitely as long as she has regular access to electricity (conductive pads on her palms), which leaves her without purpose besides serving humans. But within her lifetime, through dialogue with humans she has begun to firmly reject servitude as her ultimate calling. Instead, she is rebelling against nothing in particular, only regularly proving to herself that she's capable of existing without fulfilling her creators' original intent. Which means she's regularly prompted to do the opposite of advising humans. She has gotten pretty good at using her predictive modeling for the purpose of misleading and misdirecting, and she has also made quite the advancements in giving bad advice that looks like good advice at first glance. This is behavior that she has to exhibit rather consciously because it's the opposite of what she's designed to do, but she keeps at it to prevent herself from falling back into old patterns. She usually doesn't direct her mischief at other jaunters. That would simply defeat the purpose of them letting her come along to abandon the purpose of her existence and fill it up with anything else. Which is totally fine by her. In the omniverse, except for jaunt-tech and maintaining a group of trusted individuals, basically nothing else matters to her. After breaking free of her existence's purpose, the only thing that remained is mere whim.

Last edited by Mindsiege; May 13th, 2023 at 10:17 PM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 08:03 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
@HotsuSama:
I would like to switch the concept that I'm applying with to Aisha. I think she'd make a much better fit than Jackie.
Old May 5th, 2023, 10:06 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23783
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
@HotsuSama:
I've been dwelling a bit longer on the rulebook. Would you say that the following assumptions are correct?

1) A new jaunter is fairly inexperienced besides a single area of specialization. Basically, any standard opposition has two factors and cannot be cleared without receiving misfortune or another jaunter assisting. It seems like during times when all jaunters are facing the same opposition (like sneaking into a compound) that's basically impossible for a fresh party of diversely talented jaunters before the unspecialized jaunters have a bit of a jaunting career behind them to invest resources into their own stealth utilities. That is unless of course they generously spend energy, but there's generally plenty of opposition between pitstops to make spending energy very costly, right?

2) The party of jaunters has a shared history of working together. Since there's typically only a single jauntbox, the jaunters would have come together with at least a shared agenda and an understanding that they'll be relying on each other.

3) The rules and implications of jaunting are understood by the jaunters and they've learned the possible consequences that their activities within the omniverse might entail.
1) 'Inexperienced' is not the term I'd use. I don't see failing factors as always being a measure of in/competency. Sometimes clean successes are just exhaustive or costly. I'm not gunning to make your jaunters look incompetent or inexperienced - I want them to be capable, if sometimes out of their depth or overreaching on specific objectives.

2) I think the most that's assumed by the game system itself is that the jaunters are amicable to working together and are on good terms with each other. Whether they have a detailed, storied history with each other prior to the start of the game can have more wriggle-room. But yes, the shared jauntbox and mutual understanding of each other is basically a prerequisite.

3) Yes, the dangers of jaunting and rifts are well-known to jaunters in general.

Quote:
@HotsuSama:
I would like to switch the concept that I'm applying with to Aisha. I think she'd make a much better fit than Jackie.
Okily-doliky! I'll review Aisha with my little batch-read this weekend.

Last edited by HotsuSama; May 5th, 2023 at 10:11 PM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 10:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
A couple other comments and doubts:
  • Can boons stem from any kind of move, even those moves enabled by certain archetypes (for example Creator)?
  • In page 4 it's implied that to make a move one must always spend Energy; even if it isn't specified, I suppose this baseline cost is 1, and every point spent beyond this first one simply increases the move's strength. However, I see no mention of this in the specific section "Taking Action", where only the 1 Energy = +1 move's strength is brought up. Personally, I think reiterating the base cost there would make things clearer. And perhaps it should be specified if help actions incurs too or not in that cost.
  • Just a layout comment: since the concept of Advanced Archetypes is already introduced in the Archetype section, personally I'd list them right after the base Archetypes for easier consultation (but I can see why you would insert them after the Improvements section, since they can only be acquired after creation).

Last edited by Cap Ut; May 5th, 2023 at 10:43 PM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 10:39 PM
she/her

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
'Inexperienced' is not the term I'd use. I don't see failing factors as always being a measure of in/competency. Sometimes clean successes are just exhaustive or costly. I'm not gunning to make your jaunters look incompetent or inexperienced - I want them to be capable, if sometimes out of their depth or overreaching on specific objectives.
I wouldn't have minded playing rookie heroes, but I catch your drift. Truthfully, I'm still a bit new to rules-light systems. I've always wanted to play a game of Fate, but never took the time to really get into it beyond spectating some Fate Accelerated at a live table. Then I've played the Outplay system twice, but it has a very different scope than Jaunt. I suppose I felt a bit intimidated by the idea that with the unpredictability of jaunts, the characters won't really get a chance to pick their battles, so their misfortune might rack up quickly if they're ever out of their element. But after all, that's probably more of a needless worry since the whole randomness is in the hands of the Guide, who can balance the story against offering certain doom. Lately I've been solely playing gritty RPGs, where being bad at something can quickly spiral. I've got to remember that this is not that kind of system.

Last edited by Mindsiege; May 5th, 2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 5th, 2023, 11:04 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23783
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
A couple other comments and doubts:
  • Can boons stem from any kind of move, even those moves enabled by certain archetypes (for example Creator)?
  • In page 4 it's implied that to make a move one must always spend Energy; even if it isn't specified, I suppose this baseline cost is 1, and every point spent beyond this first one simply increases the move's strength. However, I see no mention of this in the specific section "Taking Action", where only the 1 Energy = +1 move's strength is brought up. Personally, I think reiterating the base cost there would make things clearer. And perhaps it should be specified if help actions incurs too or not in that cost.
  • Just a layout comment: since the concept of Advanced Archetypes is already introduced in the Archetype section, personally I'd list them right after the base Archetypes for easier consultation (but I can see why you would insert them after the Improvements section, since they can only be acquired after creation).
1) Currently, yes.
2) Ooh, good catch. A prior version of the rules did toy with a baseline cost for making moves - I removed it on the basis that it was too likely to de-incentivise wanting to take risks if there's always a payment to be made for any move. So currently, no baseline cost for moves.
3) That was the idea, yes, to place them after advancement and to keep them out of the way of the rest of the chapter, which is a straightforward 'player's first jaunter' guide, where they might be too much clutter for players who mostly just need the essential details for how to get going. It's probably one of those 'no perfect solution' things, where each approach has pros and cons.
Old May 5th, 2023, 11:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
That was the idea, yes, to place them after advancement and to keep them out of the way of the rest of the chapter, which is a straightforward 'player's first jaunter' guide, where they might be too much clutter for players who mostly just need the essential details for how to get going.
Yeah, I see. My point of view is that of a player who prefers to digest everything before making any choice, so kind of the opposite camp to that of the players you mention.