RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2015 > Carrion Crown
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #361  
Old 02-16-2019, 12:52 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 28366
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 6,927
Confused, Mara quirks an eyebrow in response to Hrani. Of course she deserves a bath more than he does, or than anyone else for that matter, and she certainly doesn’t need his permission to soak for as long as she would like. Still, he apologizes, so she flashes a grateful smile. “There is absolutely no need to apologize. As you say, it has been a long day for us all. Good night—I shall see you in the morning.”

The soprano retires to the bathroom, taking care to lock the door; as usual she places a small The bell has been in her inventory since the beginning, I believe, but this might be the first time I’ve described its intended use.bell by the bottom of the door, as an extra alarm to further ensure her privacy. And then, she melts into the tub, savoring the water’s refreshing caress. As expected, she indulges in a long, leisurely soak, but with her mind still swirling with a half dozen thoughts, the bath is not quite as relaxing as it should be.

Morast. Hergstag. Sulliviani. The Trial. Vorkstag. She sighs. If only Margot’s formula list called for a genuine transmutation, instead of a defensive shielding effect. In retrospect it makes sense—a so-called skin stealer probably specializes in disguises, not actual transformations. But … would it not be interested in transmutation anyway, as a more effective disguise, or at least as a supplement or secondary defense in case someone sees through its stolen skin? Perhaps Jamir is mistaken and Hrani’s initial instincts are correct? Another long, frustrated sigh. Like a drowning sailor, she is simply grasping at straws. Besides, suppose the Vorkstag woman was creating a potion that could undo her curse—she would never share it with Mara. Unless …

No. She dismisses the dark thought, wondering where it came from. If she was going to do that, she may as well negotiate with Them. No. She will never be whole. Clutching her head with both hands in despair, she wants to sob like a human … but a mermaid has no tears, and so she suffers so much more.

Quote:
“You have to mean it, love.”
The unbidden memory lances through her grief. She raises her head, recalling her dream from … was it just this morning? It seems as if an eternity has passed since then. What did Andrzej mean? Suddenly, she understands.

Magic is the key.

In her dream, she had legs—real, shapely, human legs. And so it was when she woke. And later, much later, when she had raced after Hrani and Miss Vorkstag. If legs … why not a … She hardly dares to think it. But does she dare to try it? Her entire being trembles. She has already called upon Their aid—surely it wouldn’t hurt to ask Them just once more? She sniffs, shaking her head free from doubt, willing into existence the confidence she feels when singing. Just one more time …

… and there, at the end of the tub, buoyed by the soothing water, is a tail—not her tail, but a mermaid’s tail nonetheless. It is homely—almost hideously so—and quite unsettling, but it is whole, a most welcome relief compared to the split deformity that has cursed her life. She concentrates harder, her brow furrowing with the intensity of her effort. Slowly, the tail that is not hers shifts ever so slightly, from an offensive brown to a not entirely unpleasant rust color. The songstress almost laughs at the sight—it is as if she has entered a whole ocean filled with possibility. Of course, the change doesn’t last long—use up rest of her Many Forms revelationa minute or two at most, and then the split monstrosity obstinately returns—but it happened. And more importantly, she instinctively knows what she must do to restore her own tail, instead of some bastard orphan attached to her body, and how to extend its duration, to the point of becoming permanent.

Truce. I never asked for this; I never wanted this. I still do not understand what you want from me, but … I am now ready to play your game. I accept your magic, but through it you will grant the power to undo my curse. Whenever she used Their powers before, it was always with a grudging reluctance. No more. This time she means it.

Well over an hour later, Mara finally emerges from the bathroom. If Hrani’s patience at waiting has not already expired, he would see a very determined singer bid him good night and retire to her room.
__________________
Travel season: No posts during May 30-Jun 11, Jun 20-27, Jul 13-19, Aug 9-23
Distorted Keep | Carrion Crown | Legacy of Fire | The Lost Coast
The Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 52140
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,799
Cellar DoorThe puzzle is not a difficult one to solve.

Signy and Fido look to one another and nod in agreement. The plan is sound. Signy knew she would go in first, unless magic were involved, and right now, it is not. So for now, Signy, resigned to her fate, gets the ropes set up, tied to a piece of stone stuck in the ground firmly, and making sure the knots are taut, prays silently to herself. "Let's get this over with."

She takes the plunge.

Then Fido.

Then Pike.

And Vutha with him.

The cellar is largely dirt, with wooden pillars here and there that are negligible. The door is blocked, and they land on a pile of dirt that they quickly move through, a series of grates leading down to a now-waterless cistern below, filled with dirt. The only light is that which comes from above, and the smell is impossibly thick.

For good reason, too.

There are shapes, in the darkness. Four of them, moving, snorting, sniffing. They lack subtlety, but Pike can't quite make them out. They look vaguely humanoid, their ears somewhat larger than they ought to be yet not quite Elven or Halfling-shaped. Their jaws are too large, too, or perhaps just look that way. Signy's weapon begins to appear in the darkness, adding extra illumination, and Fido's spells begin to work.

But the undead creatures were expecting them. Their voices carried. They lack the element of surprise.

And it's time to begin.
Soap and InkwellsGood nights and sweet dreams indeed.

As the group begins to get ready for bed, Samovar makes sure that the kitchen is tied down for the night. Everything in its place, the pots and pans washed in the graywater and then cleaned in a different bin of water, before putting them up and then preparing to bid himself a good night. He nods to Runahildr, nods to Hrani, but Jamir he gives nothing. Mara is already gone, and soon, so is Samovar. The room he takes as his own is already full of snores.

Jamir, for his part, is undeterred by pleasantries and the need for sleep. Sometimes, it occurs to souls like Hrani that he has the tenacity of an Elf, and if he had the sleeping habits of one, he would indeed be a dangerous foe. But Jamir is content to his books, and little else. Well, his secrets, of course. But that is neither here nor there. Jamir reads through the night, until he does not, falling asleep with a book page on his face, ink staining this or that and his own oils mixing with the book. One day, Jamir's life will be a book. He may literally be in it.

But the night is long and there may be more words for it.
 
__________________
Posting currently delayed
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons | Rise of the Runelords
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 02-21-2019, 12:47 PM
goatmeal's Avatar
goatmeal goatmeal is offline
neighbor to the beast.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 11294
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Posts: 4,194
Sanctuary.The armored dwarf walks to the center of the room, her glowing sword sheds long shadows on the fell undead emerging to attack them. The glow brightens as she positions herself in the center of the room, making herself a target of sorts. And then it explodes outwards in Use Channel Positive Energy, DC 15 for half damage, otherwise:
Dice Roll:
3d6 3, 4, 3 Total = 10
to each
a cleansing glow of light that shreds at the unnatural parts of these undead.

The eagle flies from the shoulder of the other dwarf ahead of the gnome and intercepts any of the undead moving towards them. Attacks in the following order, moving to a different creature if possible once the first one is slain.
Talon:
Dice Roll:
1d20+9 (10)+9 Total = 19
,
Dice Roll:
1d4+5 (3)+5 Total = 8

Talon:
Dice Roll:
1d20+9 (20)+9 Total = 29
,
Dice Roll:
1d4+5 (2)+5 Total = 7

Bite:
Dice Roll:
1d20+9 (4)+9 Total = 13
,
Dice Roll:
1d4+5 (2)+5 Total = 7


EDIT: Confirm crit on 2nd attack:
Dice Roll:
1d20+9 (2)+9 Total = 11
Dice Roll:
1d4+5 (2)+5 Total = 7

Her talons and jaws shredding into the creatures bodies.

 





 
__________________
NOW RECRUITING: Wave Echo Cave (and Beyond?) featuring the debut of a new quick combat method.
He/Him/His Gaming CV here

Last edited by goatmeal; 02-21-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: confirm crit
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 02-24-2019, 06:01 AM
Inem's Avatar
Inem Inem is offline
Bad Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-13-2019
RPXP: 22305
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Posts: 9,369
Hrani had retired to his room, not expecting a realistic chance to make use of the baths this evening. To his surprise, he hears the door to the baths only about an hour later, so he returns to the common area. Though he doesn't comment on it, the elf had heard that even some humans take baths that last that long. Somehow he expected the songstress to want to soak for several hours, given her situation. Such are the misconceptions about race then...

Passing her, Hrani smiles at Mara as she bids him goodnight. He replies in kind, with a "Good night. Sleep well!" of his own. Of course he notices the determined look on her face. It would be hard to miss, given just how present it is. He doesn't know the reason, and he doesn't press her for it. His mind starts contemplating possibilities. Or more exactly a fraction of his mind does. Other parts of his mind are busy contemplating other things, such as the trial, the evidence they have found, Miss Vorkstag, and their actual problem: The Whispering Way.

Like Mara before him, Hrani locks the door to the bathroom behind him, though he has no additional security measures. Were he ever to learn that the songstress is more paranoid in this aspect of life than he is, the magus might have an existential crisis. But he doesn't know, and so, after disrobing, he slips into a nice warm bath. Usually he is more clinical about things, and is efficient in cleaning, but for once, he instead enjoys the relaxing effect of the heat and the water. It has been a long day, so long in fact that he felt like some years in his life had felt shorter. Twenty minutes later, the longest bath of his life behind him, Hrani returns to his room for the final time of the night. As always, he silently moves the furniture around to barricade the door from the inside, before sitting down cross-legged in his closet to meditate. Silently awaiting what the next day would bring.
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:43 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 22021
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,205
Pike is many things, but a fighter is not one of them. Lowering himself down the rope in the most ungraceful manner with a giant eagle perched on one's shoulder is not material for a saga, his descent ends with him half sitting, half leaning against the wall shooting from the hip with his crossbow, sending the bolt Ac: 12 to hit, 7 damageflying wide of the undead creatures in front of them. Not that he wishes his companions any harm but he's grateful that they are in front of him, creating a barrier between himself and these
Knowledge : religion to know anything about these things? With free Inspiration
Dice Roll:
1d20+8 (8)+8 Total = 16
Dice Roll:
1d6 3
things.

"Don't let them gang up, focus one down at a time!" he has a bad feeling that these creatures could easily tear through them if they don't take them down quickly.

Fido had already scurried down, unleashing a part terrified/part excited "Ooohh!" as he sees the fiends before him, knowing them to be undead he realizes quickly that he best way to deal with such creatures was fire, lots of fire. "Hold on Signy!" he says, his voice a little louder than usual and his tone at least a pitch higher than normal. Grabbing a pinch of sulfur from a small pouch in his belt and a nugget of bat guano from another he claps his hands together and yells a loud incantation, opening his palms outwards towards the undead he sends a small ball of fire to explode against the far wall, engulfing most of the room in a massive, fiery explosion.

 


 

Last edited by Cedric; 02-27-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 03-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 52140
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,799
Ghastly
~Round I~
They may not have the element of surprise, but they certainly have the full effect of Signy and Fido at their disposal.

Dropping down, with the thick smell upon them and the gleaming dead eyes in the darkness coming to light, Signy is quick to pray to her gods, summoning forth a blast of energy that spreads from her like a wave, catching each of the four walking dead. Though each 19, 20, 18, and 15 for each, like wow. Anyway, 5 damage eachresists, quickly thereafter Fido finally shows his chops and produces the components necessary to summon what Pike can tell is a fire spell, and likely the one most well-known by anyone who knows anything about arcane magic.

He summons a fireball, attacking the far wall.

For a brief moment, the room is illuminated. The bodies are thin, deathly so, and a blue-white kind of decay. Their skin now marred with black lines as the wave of energy hit them, the four creatures barely react in fear as the eruption occurs, catching two of them. What remains of them is ash, charred husks that fall apart at the first sign of wind.

Vutha appears, a screeching, reaping feathered ball of death. She manages to reach one of the two remaining undead, and reaves skin and muscle from bone, reducing it to an unmoving jangled First two attacks hit, no critmess of flesh on the ground. Signy then moves to block the path of the undead towards the rest of her companions, and Pike's shot goes wide, much like his mind. For the life of him, the half-second of illumination does not provide enough of a glance at the creatures for him to determine much of anything. More substantial than a zombie and corporeal, it is as it prepares to lunge at Signy that he realizes what they are.

A type of ghoul: ghasts!

Ghasts are the more intelligent cousins of their ghoulish counterparts, though unfortunately for this group, they were far outmatched. They are known for carrying disease and being able to paralyze with a touch, but most importantly, there is the stench.

The stench that overcomes as it approaches. The one that the bird Vutha smelled when she reaved the other.

I need everyone to make a DC 15 Fort save, or be sicked for 4 rounds; Vutha needs to make two, cuz birds smell, but I'll give her a +4 because birds have less smell than we doGods, what a stench..

The creature charges Signy, hoping the smell will overwhelm her and prevent that weapon of hers from making minced meat of the ghast. The body, masculine in appearance, shows large, yellowed, broken teeth, Alright, so here's how we're gonna do this. Roll an AoO, depending on how Signy does with the sickness, and if she manages to hit and kill the bugger, roleplay it out. If not, she gets bitten and the rest applies
Attack: Nat 20 (25), 7 to crit so no crit.
Damage: 9 damage plus disease and paralysis

Disease: DC 15 Fort, 2 saves, see stat block link below; 2 Con 1 Dex damage
Paralysis: DC 15 Fort, or Paralyzed for 3 rounds
ready to sink into Signy's flesh.

Quite a turnabout.
An Early StartSitting cross-legged though he is, Hrani is left with Jamir, studying surreptitiously nearby. It lasts for hours.

He has no idea when exactly the Halfling falls asleep, but when he awakes, just before the crack of dawn, from his meditation (as if awakes is the right word), Hrani finds the Halfling with his face shoved in a book, a crime of lesser races, spreading their oil onto ancient manuscripts. No wonder they can't keep up with things and maintain them over the years.

Not long before dawn, too, comes a knocking. Hrani answers, though he hears Samovar stirring, growling and grunting about this or that or something or other. Hrani does him the courtesy of letting him go back to sleep, while answering the door.

And there he is: Adivion Adrissant, carrying bags of what must be meat and a carton of eggs.

"Ah, the Elf, yes. Well, very good. I've come to give everyone uppers and prepare them. Food courtesy of our fair solicitor's husband." He moves past him, without so much as another word. "Fortunately I learned to cook from the finest schools in Caliphas, so even your Elven standards should be impressed." He rises up the stairs and produces a baguette with relative ease.

"I'm sure you're tired of telling people what you did yesterday so I'll spare the questions. No one else awake? Oh, the Halfling, what a fellow, what a sport!" He slaps Jamir on the back, awaking him with a start. Ink stains mark his face, yet again. "Go find a bed, chap, food will be ready shortly and you've done well. I don't care if you have to crawl into bed with Kendra, you need rest!" Jamir stumbles out of his chair and disappears, muttering something in his own tongue, though he does not go to Kendra's room. Where he goes exactly is unknown.

"So instead I'll regale you about what I did yesterday. You won't believe it, but I had dinner with one of the better men of town, I would say. One Master Vorkstag, a fine fellow and a great one who seems to be very in the know. Knew you lot went out of town, looking for clues. Not where, though. That was interesting. Tried to get me to dissuade you all from helping the defense. He fears for your lives! Can you believe that, that the passive people of Lepidstadt would even raise a hand against us? Though," he leans in close to Hrani, whispering rather loudly, "between you and me, that one-eyed crusader and Samovar ought to be enough to scare off anyone." He ribs the Elf, before cracking an egg with magic and spilling it onto a hot skillet, cooking with cream. Several over utensils and pans move as if moved by magic, revealing Adrissant's own skills. Just like the Professor, it seems.

"I told him you'd not be dissuaded, and he was upset. Had to have been around sunset when he left in a hurry, said he had to see his associate and his sister before it was time to rest."

Breakfast is ready as dawn rises in Lepidstadt, and already the day is... promising.
 
__________________
Posting currently delayed
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons | Rise of the Runelords
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 03-09-2019, 04:43 PM
goatmeal's Avatar
goatmeal goatmeal is offline
neighbor to the beast.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 11294
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Posts: 4,194
The dwarven paladin swings at the approaching undead creature but misses, leaving an opening for it to amble forward and take a bite out of her face. A lesser warrior might be paralyzed by such a bite, but not Signy. She swings her blade back up slicing into the creatures side and dropping it to the ground. She turns to face the others, her face swollen and dripping blood from where the creature had bitten her. Did she avoid the disease it carries or will she succumb to it eventually. Only time will tell.
Vutha, for her part flaps about in the wash of heat that overtakes the remains of the other undead. She turns towards the gnome with a look of unmistakable awe on her face. Fire is a thing she appreciates. Particularly if it is used to destroy the undead. She wings her way over towards Fido, pauses momentarily as if awaiting his permission, and then lands on his shoulder. Then lets out a loud CAW! as if in battlecry of victory.
__________________
NOW RECRUITING: Wave Echo Cave (and Beyond?) featuring the debut of a new quick combat method.
He/Him/His Gaming CV here
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 03-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Inem's Avatar
Inem Inem is offline
Bad Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-13-2019
RPXP: 22305
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Posts: 9,369
Hrani is the first to rise in the house, his meditation having been uneasy that night. Something is bothering him about this business. No, everything is bothering him about it. Yes, that's more it. Unbarricading his door, the magus finds Jamir in his pitiful state and decides to let him be. Being the first to rise has one advantage at least: No one has had time to prepare any sort of ambush for him. Or so he thinks, before moments later he is ambushed by a knock on the door. Feeling like he is much too exhausted to deal with this right now, Hrani nonetheless goes to open the door...only to sort of wish he hadn't. He certainly doesn't share the strong loathing for Adivion that some of his companions have, but he doesn't exactly like the fellow, either. It probably has a lot to do with the circumstances of their first meeting.

'Oh great, he's cooking...' The elf doesn't particularly care for this piece of news. Somehow he gets the impression that Adivion is going to be annoying throughout the process and leave the kitchen a mess that Samovar needs to deal with. And unlike the previous evening, where he was actually looking forward to a hearty meal, Hrani is back to his usual self today. Whatever the young man is about to prepare is guaranteed to be outlandishly excessive and decadent from his point of view.

Looking around, Hrani realizes none of the others are getting up from bed to rescue him from this social interaction. He must have gotten the door to quickly. Or Adivion's voice can be heard in everyone's rooms, rendering them in no hurry whatsoever to get up. Hrani wonders how many of his companions have rolled back over in bed in the last 30 seconds.

The magus is indeed not unhappy to not have to retell his tale, though he can't help but wonder how much that is really born out of Adivion's understanding and generosity, and how much that is born out of the man's narcissism deeming what he has to say more important anyway. But at least he does have something interesting to say, aside from lewd comments towards Kendra. Vorkstag, ever Vorkstag. He was going to be their focus anyway, but now he has to be so even more. "He fears for our lives, you say? How sure are you in that assessment? Just yesterday evening his sister threatened us to back off the investigation as well. Same goal, different method. It makes me wonder whether Master Vorkstag was just trying to play you because he thought we would be more likely to give up if he showed concern for us, rather than threatening us. Or if he is genuinely not one hundred percent on the same side as his sister...and she and whoever else belongs to her circle really do scare him."

And then there is the news of when he ran off. "Before sunset, you say? Very interesting..." Hrani thinks back to when they had met Margot. It had been quite a bit after sundown, had it not? Was this after her meeting with her brother and Grimes? Or was this proof that Vorkstag lied to Adivion, because he rushed off to a meeting with his sister that his sister couldn't have been present for? That would lend a lot more credit to Runa's theory than Hrani had still given it the previous evening.

Suddenly, something else occurs to Hrani, and it bothers him strongly. 'So, here we are, thinking Vorkstag might lead us to this mystery's solution. And suddenly Adivion turns up and makes the man look even more suspicious. A sign that we are truly on the right trail? Or something much more sinister? What if we are looking in exactly the wrong place, and someone wants us to go ahead and keep looking exactly there?" Hrani stares at Adivion while he prepares breakfast, wondering whether he is truly on their side. Of course, he tends to be wondering that about most people most of the time. In any case, he decides not to speak much more to him, and instead wait for others to get up and share their thoughts...
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 22021
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,205
It took Pike a moment to recover from the blast of Fido's explosion, dust and smoke covered the room as he watched the last ghast get cut down by Signy and he can't help but notice that Vutha land on Fido's shoulder Fascinating, was it his firey explosion that called her to him? She is a creature of ash and fire herself, after all with a knowing smirk he moves forward and puts his hand on Signy's shoulder "Well done everyone. Although I'd question the sanity of casting that particular spell in such a confined space and without knowing the structural integrity of the chamber we're in, I'd say I should stick to what I know and swallow my counsel after witnessing it firsthand. Bloody well done."

He waves his hand to clear the smoke and dust from his face and steps forward "Let's search the chamber before we head back up, so far the burnt papers are the only thing possible of value from this place and we best get back to Lepidstat to go read them thoroughly." crouching down he looks the chamber over, trying to figure out what the ghasts were doing down here and if there was another entrance into this chamber. Suspecting that the explosion might have ruined tracks or any items stored down here he relies on his keen eyes to notice if anything is out of the ordinary.

 
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 AM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 28366
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 6,927
After such a long, tiring day Mara sleeps particularly well. She wakes refreshed and reinvigorated, both in body and spirit, for now at long last she has a plan for defying her curse. Unfortunately, her hopes of consulting privately with Hrani or Jamir on such magical matters is dashed by Adivion’s presence. True, the nobleman is also adept with magic, as evinced by his arcane cooking demonstration, but the songstress is not about to share any hint of her secret with an outsider.

“Good morning Adivion,” the singer smiles brightly and graciously, concealing whatever resentment she might feel at his intrusion so early in the day, “it is such a pleasure to see your lovely face first thing in the morning. And how wonderfully kind of you to cook breakfast for us! Really, this is simply too much! Why, Samovar will be positively jealous!” The soprano glances at the magus with a rather different smile, one that is genuinely warm and hints at a shared secret. “Good morning Hrani. Were you and Jamir able to learn anything about … the case last night?”
__________________
Travel season: No posts during May 30-Jun 11, Jun 20-27, Jul 13-19, Aug 9-23
Distorted Keep | Carrion Crown | Legacy of Fire | The Lost Coast
The Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 03-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 52140
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,799
The Last InvestigationThe creature was felled, dropping to the ground as Signy recovered from the shock of the blow. The ghast's last spittering sputtering moments in this world were far shorter than it clearly liked, but longer than it deserved. Sanctuary's basement had been cleared, the foursome can continue looking it over.

Fido, for his part, is concerned about his partner. "Signy, are you...?"

"Aye, I think."

The mage squints, trying to understand how much of that is pride and how much of it is true. He produces a rag and wets it, as if by magic, and begins to tend to the wound, as Signy uses a bit of her own magic to heal the wound. The blood remains, but the power in her veins remains there, ready to continue a fight that is very, very over.

Ready to leave this place, Pike begins his investigation in earnest. The undead monstrosities have collected a number of oddities down here, trinkets that interested them, including silver crossbow bolts, a slightly melted gold belt buckle, ovular and potentially valuable to a smith, an an iron bracelet with silver filigree, depicting a moon eating an owl, which seems rather morbid. But there is more, and more gruesome, things to find.

At the back end of the place is a kind of shrine, where six severed heads, partially burnt, are displayed. All but one are deformed, displaying odd protrusions from their ears, uneven lobes, asymmetrical features, and missing parts, before the fire ruined them and the dark, damp feel of decay ravaged them. All but one: a specimen with broken glasses and burnt, mostly missing hair. There might have once been a nose on the head, but it has been removed, as the glasses hang on nothing: in fact, it looks like they might have removed the nose due to their weight and the rot of the body. Nearby, under some broken glass, Pike spies a vial, the label of which is ruined by the damp cellar, but still readable: "Vorkstag and Grine, Chymickal Bleach."

Now dead, the bodies of the ghasts begin to stink, almost as much as they had in life. They do not decay more rapidly, but Vutha finds she wishes they did.
Cold Iron ChefAdivion listens to Hrani as he cooks, preparing to finish and serve it as he can. "His sister? You have all the luck, I swear. Strange, that one fears for your lives, while the other threatens them. Well, he seems to have played me, to no effect as I suspected. You seem rather inspired, if I do say so."

The meal is creamier than Samovar normally makes, a kind of Inner Sea meal favoring Taldane or Andoren in nature, with fresh basil and thyme on a butter-based sauce on biscuits and sausage, one of the new sets of them Samovar had bought the day before. It is a good smell, but it is different than they are used to eating, the heartier meals that Samovar provides more akin to typical Kellid cuisine.

"Ah, Mara, dear, I live to make Samovar jealous! Please, have some: I insist. And where is Kendra? I must insist she eat, we're not long before we have to prepare for presentations. I'll be in the audience today, unless you need me otherwise, but I'm more than willing to help prepare."

Samovar, appearing at last, sees Adivion, looks at his meal, which is fine, and then instantly begins getting his own pans, preparing his own meal, for him and anyone who wants it. Adivion seems proud of himself, but sets a plate out for him all the same.

Kendra's room has the sound of snoring from it, implying she did not, in fact, waken to his appearance. And where is Runa?
 
__________________
Posting currently delayed
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons | Rise of the Runelords
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 03-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 22021
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,205
Pike had been too interested in what secrets the chamber might hold to notice that Signy had taken a hit "I'm sorry Signy, I was too... look, do you feel weak? These things can carry a nasty infection that saps the strength from you." feeling ashamed for not having checked up on her he brings forth a vial from his backpack containing a pale, milky like liquid "This is able to restore your strength if you feel the need. Just let me know." coughing from the dust they keep kicking up he gathers what they've found and motions for the opening above "Let's go upstairs, see if anything here is of any importance. Uh, Fido maybe you can go over these items, see if any carry enchantments?" he hesitates, the severed heads kept drawing on his attention. Guessing that the five carrying deformities were from patients but the one with the glasses might as well have belonged to the Doctor himself.

Grunting to himself he strides over to the table, grabs his blanket from his backpack and scoops up the head, wrapping it with the blanket before he puts it back into his backpack Guess I'll need a new blanket when we're back in town he thinks to himself as he turns around, only to see everyone staring at him with wide eyes "Yes this is disgusting, even wrong in so many ways. I don't know, but maybe we can have a priest back in Leipidstadt call on the spirit of the late Doctor and hear if he can shed some light on this. Worth a shot!" he motions for them to move "Or perhaps I'll be charged with grave robbery and disturbing the dead, that wouldn't be the first time."

 
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 28366
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adivion
“Please, have some: I insist. And where is Kendra? I must insist she eat”
Mara’s polite smile widens, transforming into a mysterious expression that could be annoyed or amused, or both or neither. A rapid fluttering of her eyelashes conceals the sparkle in her aquamarine eyes. “Well, if a gentleman such as yourself ‘insists’, then a lady must surely comply.” The soprano gracefully seats herself at the table then, after nearly a minute of fussing with her dress, she eventually helps herself to some biscuits and sausage and gravy, spooning a small portion onto her plate … and there it sits, untouched. Those accustomed to the singer’s particular eating habits know that she is letting her food cool as always. For those unaccustomed … she flashes a mischievous look at Adrissant, one that is playful yet challenging, a coquettish grin that says both yes and no.

“At what hour does the trial begin today? I suppose someone should wake Kendra.” Her gaze flits lightly over the others, making it perfectly clear that ‘someone’ is anyone but her. “And poor Runa must be dreadfully tired, but I suppose someone should rouse her as well.”
__________________
Travel season: No posts during May 30-Jun 11, Jun 20-27, Jul 13-19, Aug 9-23
Distorted Keep | Carrion Crown | Legacy of Fire | The Lost Coast
The Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 03-28-2019, 12:17 PM
goatmeal's Avatar
goatmeal goatmeal is offline
neighbor to the beast.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 11294
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Posts: 4,194
Sanctuary.As the others tend to their wounds and begin to sort through the spoils of combat, Vutha seems a bit fidgety. Perhaps she is bored with the process of rummaging through the belongings of the slain. Perhaps she remembers that in spite of how they teamed up to fight off the undead, these are still city dwellers that are only starting to gain her trust. Perhaps she just wants to explore the rest of the ruins before the magics she equipped herself for battle wear off. Whatever the cause, she takes flight and scouts ahead into the upper ruins while Torsten and the others search the room.
 





 
__________________
NOW RECRUITING: Wave Echo Cave (and Beyond?) featuring the debut of a new quick combat method.
He/Him/His Gaming CV here
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 52140
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,799
A Parting of the WaysIt was, in fact, bleach. The burning in his nose confirmed it as such.

There was little more to gather than what they had already found. Buried pieces of glass and scattered ruins about them informed of the ghoul's interest in hunger and hunger alone. From their devotion to the head, it seemed likely that the ghouls might have even been patients, resurrected by some maledictum of some sort, but likely with no culprit. Sometimes death simply was not permanent. Ultimately, Vutha's dislike of being cooped up pans out: there is nothing else here, and they ascend, into a fully morning blue sky above.

Signy and Fido confer with one another as everyone packs, and before they leave, Signy begins bringing everything off of her horse and onto Pike's, insofar as it relates to the case. Fido, the talkative one today, explains, as they ride. "I'm going to give it to you straight, friend. We were hired to figure out what dirt you were digging up and its legitimacy. We are servants to the truth, and you seem that way too. Or, you're convincing actors who set out to find a conclusion and have found it, by the gods. At either rate, your methods... or perhaps it's just this case? It's too much for us. Signy needs rest. I'm... not cut out for this kind of thing. I'm a scholar, not an adventurer. So... I think we'll be parting ways, permanently, once we get back to Lepidstadt. Signy agrees. If you need us to testify in court, we'll be there. Otherwise... Well."

The gates of Lepidstadt in sight, they depart from one another once inside the already-bustling town, Signy and Fido turning down the first main road and heading south. Vutha stays close, closer than she has ever been to a city, and no one is the wiser to her appearance. This is more people than she has ever seen in one place, and as they get closer to their destination, there are even more people. People, people, people!

It's enough to make a lizard go into torpor.

Coming up on the Courthouse, Pike wasn't sure he was going to the Lorrimor Estate first, or if he was going to court, but either way, he happens upon the same thing: his companions.

They have much to discuss.
No CoincidenceAdivion smiles at the comment, seemingly aware of his tone and use of words and not quite apologizing for them, but the look on his face is anything but serious. Fortunately Mara is there to match, even if Adivion's response is uncertain but still playful. Is she reading him right? Is he reading her? Gods forbid, what is his game?

"Not long, we've about an hour. Here, allow me." Without so much as a spell component, the mage removes his oven mitt and snaps his fingers, throwing open all the doors and sending a breeze into all other rooms of the apartment. He speaks, his voice amplified. "Court starts in an our, friends, and we would be remiss to be late and not discuss strategy with our fair solicitor."

It is easy to forget that Adivion Adrissant is a powerful mage, at least as powerful as Petros Lorrimor had been in life. He rarely plays that card, and when it does, it seems to be only for show.

"Now, let's eat up and prepare ourselves for our appearance today. We're discussing the case, with opening statements, and with only partial evidence. The prosecution may try to see some evidence and look at once of the cases today, but that remains uncertain. We'll see. Ultimately, if our solicitor fails, you have been deputized to act in his place. He has a sharp mind, but I fear only you have the quick wit needed to keep up with the prosecutor. When I supped with him last night, he was a whip." Of course he supped with him last night. And with Vorkstag.

There were no coincidences in Lepidstadt.

Not long after, Kendra rises, having shut her door and dressed herself in a hurry, smelling sweetly of lavender and spruce, and in a powerful purple-blue dress, as if she were going to a parlor later. And she may yet. Runa, too, dresses, and Samovar. Once fed, everyone heads out with half an hour to spare.

And good thing, too. The crowds are ginormous, with enough people there to scare off even the most seasoned souls. In the distance, Mara and Hrani spy Trollblood and fear the voices of the Crooked Kin, continuing their good work. And with them? The magic of a Varisian mage, their newest member. A fine departure, all must agree, for Carlo.

A small thought: where is Andrzej, in all this?

But little time to think about that: in the distance, as they approach the Courthouse, is Torsten Pike, alone, save for a raptor that flies especially close to him.

They have much to discuss.
At last, the group is reunited. Pike rejoins the group, which now includes Kendra, Adivion, Jamir, and Samovar, a full fighting force; but where are Signy and Fido?

Outside the Courthouse, the cadet, Veronique, catches them, a smile on her wide face. "Morning's salutations! I mean, good morning. Sorry, the sergeant says I'm extra peppy today. Court cases make me so excited, though!" Kendra smiles. "It's really quite adorable, if almost off-putting. At any rate, are we ready?" The cadet nods. "I'm to escort you to the defense's preparation room, and you are to state who you wish to seat at the table with Solicitor Kaple. Only three of you are allowed, and any of you may speak. The rest can either stay in the defense's room the entirety of trial but cannot leave, or can sit in the stands or witness area on the floor."

Adivion pipes up. "I'm in the stands since I've been of so little use beyond reconnaissance. Samovar, I think you're with me. And, uh, Torsten?" Adivion sniffs, getting closer to the Dwarf. "You smell of death. Where the devil have you been?" A twist of his wrist and the Dwarf's smell disappears, replaced with something similar to Kendra's own smell. An odd smell, given his usual flavor of cigars.

They have little time to waste, but so much to discuss.
 
__________________
Posting currently delayed
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons | Rise of the Runelords
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands

Last edited by Sassafrass; Yesterday at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB