RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > Mysoth – Winds of Change
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17391
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Chapter 5 - Ruins in the Forest

They journey from Hay Field back to Rythey went by fast. Zlog, Pavel and Max were returning with Randal or Stiles, but they had picked up a new Soldier who would be serving with them, for the short time they had remaining at Rythey. Brother Garaele, a Tempest Cleric was joining them. He was one of the few Priests in the area that did not worship Bruhaha, but few would hold that against him.

At the gates of Rythey, Brandon Highwater, the Captian of Rythey meet the soldiers. "A little delayed, but glad to have you here anyway. I had received word from Bob at the Wizard Acadamy that you had made a detour there. I might have feared the worst otherwise. Well, come in and get cleaned off. You can show our new Soldier around the Fortress here, and then have dinner with me later tonight. I have another important matter of discussion with you. Some findings regarding the runes bellow."

OODMWelcome to Chapter 5! This will give you a quick chance to fill in Garaele on who is at Rythey, and what your exploits have been up to this point. At Dinner, when you are ready, your next assignment will be given.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7903
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
Captain Highwater.
right-aligned image

Garaele stopped his mare Blitz at the gates to Rhthey with his companions. He'd grown rather fine of the ragtag band during their travels from Hay Field. The Brother of Thor didn't pry much during the journey, but the Elk tribesman would have to be daft not to realize the squad had been through a lot together. Garaele had a permanent grin during the journey considering the camaraderie of his traveling partners. He missed that from his time navigating for the Rusty Dragon. That crew had been very tight as well.

The soldier priest pulled his rapier from his scabbard and held salute to Brandon Highwater. His companions held the man in high regard, and thus so would Garaele. "Brother Garaele of the Elks Tribe, Captain. Reporting for duty." The priest sheathed his weapon and then dug in his saddle bags for his orders. He offered them up to Brandon.

"Captain, Spis sammen, kjempe sammen, dø sammen. 'Eat together, fight together, die together.' So says Thor. This squad of soldiers have been very kind to let me travel with them. I am in their debt. If there is chance to repay that debt, I shall." Garaele had a happy grin on his face. He knew where Njord and Thor were guiding him. He knew Brandon would place him in his travelling companion's squad. Thor's lightning had struck. Blitz twitched a bit in excitement, reading her master's emotions.

"We're OK, Blitz. They have adventures in store for us."
To the Callhill 5E: Luskan Nights/To the Depths of Hel (PC), Darkness in Thay (PC), To the CallHill (DM), SKT: To the Triboar (DM), Dragon Heist 1/2 (DM), The Leilon Campaign (PC). Death of the Emperor (PC). Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Bluejack; 09-07-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5192
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep
"Hrm." Maxine scrunches her face in a displeased manner as Brandon mentions dinner. "He has another assignment for us," she predicts grumpily as the captain turns away, as though any other outcome could have been a possibility. Though she had found Garaele quite pleasant for somebody from outside city walls, his enthusiasm for adventure seems to match Zlog's, and that's concerning; taking the "safe" option might not be the majority vote anymore.

Still, she has garnered some respect for the man over the past few days. Notably, he's shown himself as the kind of person who truly cares for his horse – definitely a positive in Max's book. In only their short time together, she's heard most of Garaele's favorite stories about Blitz, and, in turn, she shared her memories of Roanoke, the stallion she was forced to sell before her current, and final, round of militia service.

Therefore, the logical first stop for showing Garaele around the fortress is the barn. "I'm going to stable Allouette before I do anything else," she says, scratching the ears of the dappled gray horse loaned to her by Rythey. "Perhaps after a quick bath. Would you like to come find a comfortable stall for Blitz?"
Old 09-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14652
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
"HOW!?WHY!?HOW!?" Walking back to Rythey after a night of cards proved to be one of the single most embarrassing things Pavel ever had to do. There were low points in your life, like when you got arrested or almost killed by a dragon. Those things were nothing in comparison to the shame he had to live with. It didn't make sense that Zlog could be so good at cards.

He couldn't read, didn't know the rules. Zlog didn't know how to place a bet. The odds of Zlog getting so many good hands were infinitesimally small. If the current soldier former thief didn't know better he would have said Zlog was cheating. Pavel did know because by the end of the game he had been cheating. It was the only way to retain some money and more importantly dignity. Even with pulling the cards he needed Zlog still managed to get the best hands in the game. Hands that no cheater would ever pull because it would be far to obvious. It was clear that Zlog was some kind of chance altering deity and the sole reason why Pavels life was so turbulent now.

There was clearly only one option. Pavel had to kill Zlog. He needed a meticulously crafted plan because even the tiniest bit of good luck would save the green card playing beast.

Once they got back to the fortress it was business again at Rythey. Pavel was left wringing his hands and glowering. "I'll get you Zlog. I'll win my gold and dignity back if it is the last thing I do." Next time he would cheat and use magic. Humiliating the half orc would be the ultimate revenge but it would have to wait. Pavel had matters to discuss with Brandon.

Dropping his pack off in the barracks Pavel closed his door. He placed loose thread betwen the frame and the door so that he could tell if anyone else opened it. You couldn't be too careful with the tunnels under the fortress.

With dinner latter it did give Pavel time to get some more information. He set out from his room looking for Father Pavel. The priest probably kept the historical records for the fortress.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:28 AM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24217
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
The game with the small pictures was fun. Zlog never knew it could be so fun, in fact he had never had anyone give him so much money in his entire life. What he didn't understand was why everyone seemed to get so mad he played their silly picture game. He shrugged it off with a grin as he accompanied his new companion into the town. He like I know his name isn't Thor, but Zlog doesn't.Thor, they had very similar views on things and it had been a long time since he had another strong warrior next to him. He hadn't realized how much he had missed it.

"Eat together, Fight together, die together." Zlog repeated. "Those are all things Zlog likes... well except the last on he things.
Although Zlog never done it before so who knows?"
he seemed to say to himself as everyone made introductions. His happy demeanor however is suddenly interrupted by the mention of the runes.

Walking over to Maxine he very whispered to her. "Runes.. he don't mean where the dragon... where Stiles and I... and the.." Zlog had trouble piecing together words to distinguish his horrible memories of the place. Stiles had been such a good friend of his that when he went mad it cut deep into Zlog, beyond that he had helped in the act at Stiles' request. There was an unseen scar there that cut to the core of the naive orc. An innocence was lost the last time they had traveled to the runes and he did not relish reliving that day. "Zlog just get new friend, he no want lose someone to crazy dragon god."
Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
The Story so Far.
right-aligned image

Blitzen moved into lockstep with the dappled gray horse. While Brother Garaele was more of a navigator, he'd learned to find his way over land and sea. The Elks had prospered through their mercantile leanings, become rich and developed a system of caravans and sea routes over the last 50 or so years at a quick pace. So he was familiar with riding beasts of a number of sorts. His diverse exposure had made him rather good at that.

"Blitz is trying to make new friends as well. Perhaps you can buy back your stallion at some point and they can ride together. Time will tell." Allouette seemed a fine horse, but Garaele could tell that Max pined for Roanoke. People who cared for their horses were likely to care for their comrades as well. It was known. The Brother of Thor once again felt that fortune smiled upon him. He had fallen into good company.

"I know not what my earthly and heavenly lords have in store for me, but I hope the Captain sees fit to let me join you." Garaele spoke precisely with his accented common. His time on the trade routes had exposed him to many languages, but since he could read, he tried to find books, scrolls and verse to improve his languages. He was here to learn and strengthen the Elk Tribe's bonds in the region.

Just then Zlog came over. He spoke of dragons and runes. Garaele looked questioningly to Max. "We've just met, Zlog. I think Njord and Thor have more in mind for us than simple dying. Runes you say." He tried to lock eyes with Max in a silent question. "And Dragons. I saw the bones of a dragon once. Just the bones gave me a fearsome visage."

The warrior priest wondered if Zlog was using an expression, but he doubted it. What else would make an orc-son tremble such? "I'm new here, so I only offer my friendship. But if I can help you with your task, I will. And I am notoriously hard to kill, Zlog."

OOCNot sure if you guys want to info dump or go through it all. I am game for either. Garaele is turning into Saltheart Foamfollower quickly. He has a tiny bit of darkness, but not much. Got tired of nuanced and went for nice guy who likes lightning.
To the Callhill 5E: Luskan Nights/To the Depths of Hel (PC), Darkness in Thay (PC), To the CallHill (DM), SKT: To the Triboar (DM), Dragon Heist 1/2 (DM), The Leilon Campaign (PC). Death of the Emperor (PC). Oath of Sangus
Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
"Well, you might regret those words," Maxine grunts as she hoists the saddle off of Allouette. "Yes Zlog, it's possible that's what Brandon means. I don't know where he's getting runes from, but they're probably not being delivered to the fortress from the rune shop. All I know is, I've got a bad feeling about where all of this is going, and the cards aren't telling me." She grabs a bucket and, with some effort, hoists some water out of the well in front of the barn.

"Suppose it might be prudent to fill you in though, so you're not confused at dinner tonight," she goes on, dumping the cool water over Allouette, who stamps her front foot and knickers in disapproval. "Oh hush, a bath won't kill you. Probably best to start with the attack the aarakocra launched on the fort; we fended them off, but didn't know the reason for their aggression. A day or two later, we awoke to find one of our soldiers, Denovar, murdered overnight. Stabbed by a short sword. And that's when Brandon informed us of an exiled aarakocra who Rufus—he manages the farm outside—was tending to. Plzen—the aarakocra—told us that their shaman was stabbed by a short sword, too, and a sacred mask was taken from them; they don't use blades, so they suspected us. There, was that so bad?" she says again to the horse, now using a towel to wipe off the worst of the water so Allouette can air-dry.

"After we looked into it, we found some tunnels leading between the fort, the woods to the east, and the cliffs where the aarakocra live. Inside, we found some kenku, who seemed to be meeting with kobolds who lived there. And in the depths of the caverns,
a dragon wyrmling, who we... dealt with."
The noble shivers as she says this; ever since suffering a direct hit from its icy breath, she'd never been quite warm enough, even on a sunny day.

"In its cavern, we found a frozen dwarf," she continues, leading Allouette inside now. "His armor was emblazoned with the marks of the Black-Gold Clan, a mountain colony that had dissolved hundreds of years ago when their mines dried up. That's where we just returned from. Pavel found documents describing a 'great wyrm' that disrupted mining operations until they sent an offering to its lair. Those dwarves never came back, but the dragon left the clan alone. But their mines dried up a year later anyway."

Max feeds Allouette an apple straight from her hand, then closes the stall door behind her as she exits. "That's about all we know now. It's... not very encouraging, is it?"

Last edited by Skep; 09-11-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
The Story so Far.
right-aligned image

Garaele cared for Blitz while taking in the story so far. It was indeed a strange tale. But the Elk Brother had another opinion entirely.

"Max I'd come to the opposite conclusion. Imagine a story where good folk had no idea of this great evil. A story where a brave orc, a rat catcher and a horsewoman were not aware and the evil went unchecked." He smiled to Max and then tapped his shield. "But lo, we are aware, and now you have a servant of Njord and Thor to help you. So I am encouraged! Where there is opportunity there is hope."

Garaele finished his work on Blitzen and then took one knee with his head bowed towards his shield. He prayed in silence for a moment to his gods. He thanked them for leading him to a group of great purpose. And here he thought he would simply be making maps for their allies. This was much more exciting and vital.

"I will do my best to aid you all." Garaele said.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Tools
User Statistics
"Don't forget to tell him about Sitles." Zlog offered. "He was our friend who is with the mages now." he explained. "Just like Red said we went down to the Dragon place and found the armor, but that wasn't all of it. Something happened to wee little man on the way and he started acting crazy. Then when we defeated the dragon he had me... well there was a sacrafice and it broke him." Zlog explained.

"After that night he thought he was always on a ship or something... his mind forever loss to the dragonblood. It tricked Zlog and Zlog helped him do it. We need to becareful of the things Zlog can't see."
Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
"I do suppose that makes for a better tale," says Maxine, smiling at Garaele weakly. Though her heart leaps at the prospect of adventure and heroics against all odds, her mind wishes that people would stop convincing her, however inadvertently, that the novels she buried herself in were anything more than fantastic stories. In this reality, surely that path would lead to ruin.

There was no way for Garaele to know that This is just the RP result of multiple really bad level-up rolls, leaving Maxine with a max HP of 15. Not much a cleric can help with, unfortunately.her grip on her rapier had weakened, that even breathing was becoming painful at times, since the start of her service. Surely, too, the agent of Njord and Thor would be less than pleased to discover the recovered necromancy spellbook she studied most nights, neglecting her divination practice, simply to ensure her survival over the coming weeks.

If she really considered the near future, she'd ultimately agree with Garaele. Her concern isn't of the group's failure. She knows that Pavel and Zlog are capable of so much, and Garaele is, at least, confident in himself and his gods, and that has to count for something.

No, her concern is of her own failure. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so the saying goes.

"Stiles was... well, whatever happened to him, he didn't deserve it," Max adds sadly to Zlog's simplistic explanation. With the halfling's mind fully lost, so, too, were lost any dreams of the wizard joining his crew following their time at Rythey. Her post-militia career was, once again, up in the air, though worrying about this had taken a backseat to worrying about actually seeing a post-militia career. "Anyway," she says, to get her thoughts off the subject, "we'll take you to the mess hall next—it's just this building over here—and then we can set you up with a room in the barracks."
Old 09-14-2017, 04:41 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
After taking some time to find bunks again the barracks, fill in Garaele on all that had happened over the last several weeks, and get him acquainted with the layout of Rythey, it was time for dinner. Rather than eating in the mess hall as normal, Brandon had the Soldiers dine with him in his manor. The first matter of attention was the food. A roasted turkey was on the menu, along with rolls, gravy and some kind of greens that grew higher on the mountain. It was a sign that relations with the Aarakocra had indeed been restored.

After dinner, the formalities with Brandon began. "You may be pleased to know that Stiles condition has improved. He is now convinced that he is stuck below deck and confined to his quarters, rather than thinking he is flailing about on the crows nest of a mast at sea somewhere. I had received word from Bob by carrier pigeon just this morning. But, that brings us to other news. I had studied the runes on the ceiling in the cavern below, you know the ones lighting up that giant snake statue. I sent a copy of one to Bob to ask if he knew what it was. The funny thing, after watching them for a few weeks, the light is they give off is slowly growing dimmer."

"It turns out that these are specific runes, Elven in nature. They are the symbol of the Watching Eye, from the Elves of Silvery Sprouce. History has notes of those elves, and their dealings from long ago among the elves that lived here before the empire claimed the region and settled it many hundred years ago. They were said to have abandoned their home a millennium ago. The forest they used to inhabit is about weeks travel from here. If you take the road east until you come out of the mountains, you the head straight north to reach them. If you get as far as the old quarries, or the Halfling Hills you have gone too far."

Brandon produced a map of the area that included lands well beyond the El Stow region. Its date was old, and many of the cities names were no longer current. He pointed to the woods far north of Rythey. "Somehwere here is where they lived. The theory s that the magic in those runes is fading. According to Bob that would only happen if they relied on some kind of source for arcane energy that is running out. I would like you to head to those woods, see if you can find any remains of the Silvery Sprouse's cities, and locate what type of magic source might be behind this phenomenon. Those woods are inhabited now by Centaurs. We haven't' had much contact with them for many decades, so we don't know if they will be hostile or not. Getting on good terms with them, however, will be crucial to your success, as they may know exactly where to look for what we want to find. Unfortunately, when you return, your time with the Militia under my command will have come to an end. I know this means that I will not have the time to train you personally. Something I deeply regret. Except for our new soldier, Garaele, that is. You will still have some time left. So, what questions do you have, and what can I do to help you be succesfull in this mission?"
Old 09-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
Send somebody else? is the first of Max's thoughts, and she comes dangerously close to letting the words slip out. A month or so ago she would have been first in line for finding a lost elven city, but now? Now she just wants a break. Won't even be back at the fortress for 24 hours before leaving for another grueling trip. Nevermind that there are a couple dozen regulars stationed here, defending the fort in a time of peace.

If she could still be considered a Beauvillers, somebody would be hearing about this. There would be hell to pay, and Rythey would be footing the bill.

One week there, spend a day playing diplomat with centaurs, then a week back. Then you're done, and you can go... well, somewhere.

Composing herself, her thoughts turn to the mission Brandon described. It seems... an odd request, only tangentially related to the errands they've been running. No dwarves, no dragons—which isn't the worst thing, necessarily, although it seems somewhat disappointing to veer off onto another course.

"My main question," the noble offers, after some thought, "would be, what are you hoping we find? Not that it wouldn't be tremendously educating to study an ancient elven magic source before it fades, but... surely there has to be more to it than that? I mean, if it only seems to light the runes in the caves and nothing else... what's the harm in letting it die?"
Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
The Story so Far.
right-aligned image

Garaele listened and watched carefully while Brandon talked through the dinner. The priest had little to say and much to learn. He nodded and grinned convivially when his name came up. Brandon was used to compliant soldiers it was clear, but this squad had been through much. The Brother had a huge hunk of turkey (Which would have been a bit dry if not for the rich gravy) He ate quietly and watched Max for her reaction as the Captain spoke. Garaele was going to fall in line with the Squad behind Max, with Thor's blessing.

"Captain, I am familiar with elvish. The Elks trade with them frequently. Bows for herbs. Furniture for ores. Others. I will be happy to assist the squad under...? Why I'm not sure the others rank! What a silly barbarian I am." The priest watched Brandon carefully, and how he and Max interacted. He'd need to learn these people for his chief. Every little scrap.

"Kyr eil shys eisi oli" Garaele said. "'Wealth and words are one.' An old elvish saying."

Dice Insight, Max:
d20+6 (12)+6 Total = 18

Dice Insight Brandon:
d20+6 (17)+6 Total = 23

Dice Guidance on Brandon Roll:
d4 1

Last edited by Bluejack; 09-15-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:13 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Zlog looks at the rune after hearing the explanation. "Are you sure it an eyeball? It kind of look like half a face...."he explained. "That the left eyeball... from the Elf. And that the mask... definitely the all seeing half of a face." Zlog surmised. "Why wouldn't they want to look with both eyeballs? It easier to see that way."

When they went on about going and finding the elf power source Zlog scratched his head. "Wait Zlog confused. We want the All Seeing half-face looking at us?"he asked. "If Red and the others go Zlog go too. He never punched half a face before."
Old 09-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Captian Brandon noted Max's observation. He had expected that question. "Well, we think the runes are more than more than just providing light. They are more like a lock. That statue, or temple, was sealed underground by elven magic. When the power that is keeping it sealed underground fails, we don't know what will happen. I'm not expert in Magic, I am taking this on what I have heard from the scholars at the Wizard Academy. Whatever it means, it probably isn't good."

"You are all members of the militia, no real rank Garaele. It is up to you to figure out how to fit into this team and help them be successful." Brandon explained to help Garaele realize that he had just as much input as any of the other soldiers here. "To me, Zlog, it looks like an eye with an eyebrow and some warpaint around it. Sure, two eyes would be better, but if you are looking through a keyhole, most peoples faces are too big to look with more than just one eye."