twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5192
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep

"I'm not sure who could be down here after all this time," begins Red as she follows Pavel and Brom down into the eerily-lit cavern, "but if it is clockwork, somebody needs to keep it wound."

A million thoughts cross her mind as the group proceeds through the catacombs. Okay, stay focused. Wave forward, advance forward. Lights in front. Where is that green glow coming from? Closed fist, don't make a sound. No, argh, closed fist is to get down! ...Should we have buried that skull? I know Brom blessed it with some holy water, I still don't trust the thing...

The familiar sight of the ape's face while a strange mechanism for door access is a delight for the wizard to see. "Oh, I quite like these things!" she whispers, adding, "We encountered one already in those caverns underneath Rythey. So there is a connection! Just a moment." She hums a couple bars of the first song that comes to mind (Leave Her Name, popular at parties where ale is involved) to remember the words; but then she notices the writing on the archway above. "Oh. Sorry," she blushes, and translates the runes for those who might be unfamiliar with the elven language, "this one wants a story, not a song. Does anybody know a good story? I could try to summarize a book I read... Heir of Time, maybe? No, that one was a bit long..."
Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2786
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

As the group proceeds through the rooms and corridors below ground Brom plods along after Pavel. Even though the young human is taking time to search in the shadows for anything that may be of interest he still moves quicker than the dwarf. Brom takes less interest in the dark corners and details of the underground lair in general so that he can keep right behind the lean rogue. Eventually they get to a door that the group discusses in hushed tones. "We encountered one already in those caverns underneath Rythey... Does anybody know a good story?..."

Brom appreciates the handiwork of the dungeon and the skill it must have taken to create such a place but he did not live his life underground so he has no need nor want to spend extra time below ground. "Why'd the blasted elves set a door with a puzzle instead of a key? They waste their talents on stuff that is just not needed... what foolishness. I'll give them a story about a squashed pixie if that's what they want." Brom looks to Pavel and red as they seem to be familiar with the runes form the Rythey caverns. As he awaits their feedback he starts to think about stories involving the Black Gold Clan that his father had told him as a young boy. Maybe one of those would work in a pinch.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14652
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
The ticking got louder and louder as they descended. Only descending thirty feet or so before encountering the first obstacle, another of the Monkey Doors. The door wanted to hear a story, would any story count. "Maybe a story about the Black Gold Clan. Or a story about an elf who fell in love with a dwarf and was cursed. Max, do you remember the details about that banshee?"
Old 09-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17886
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
With the soldiers arguing and discussing with a story to tell, they missed the Ape's face changing. The animated stone was looking as annoyed as it possibly could, given the limited range of movement physically possible. "Could we move this along any faster, please? I've got plenty of sitting in solitude to get back to, if you don't mind." The door spoke common and had a voice that one would expect to accompany a strict schoolmaster.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 09-26-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3405
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Alahk had been the first one at the door, but he was the last one down. Stepping into the underground felt like stepping into a grave. In the early months of his childhood, he and the other fledglings would venture into a cave on the side of the mountain. The bravest would go so far in that you couldn't even see the sky. Most didn't make it half that far. The underground was not a place for his people.

He paused reluctantly at the edge, then clamped his beak down, set his jaw, and followed the other three soldiers down the staircase. With one last glance into the sky, Alahk ducked his head and was underground. He had to walk with wings tucked tight against his back and his shoulders hunched over his ax. It was one of the most terrifying things he had ever done, but he wouldn't mess it up.

At the door, his beak was half open to say 'I know a story'; he knew many legends of the Aarakocra and of the skies. The talking ape made him swallow any words he was about to say though, and he stood in the back trying not to panic.

Last edited by Nasrith; 09-26-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
"I know a story." Pavel said to the stone door. It wasn't a very old story, or epic but it was one that he knew. It might be interesting, definitely interesting if you were a stone monkey who didn't see anyone. "It's about a kid. Years ago he grew up in an orphanage and wanted something better. A dangerous stranger told the boy that there was something better for people brave and smart enough to take it.

He saw that the head master always stashed his silver in the same place. So the boy hide in the office and waited for the silver to be deposited. When no one was around he took the silver and brought it to the dangerous stranger."
Pavel wondered why he decided to tell the stone faced door. Part of him wondered why he was only comfortable talking about this if he was challenged.

"The dangerous stranger became a benevolent master who taught the boy how to get whatever he wanted. As long as you were quick, smart and brave you could take whatever you wanted from whoever you wanted. He thought he was smart. He thought he was brave. He thought it wouldn't matter, but it mattered to the people he stole from. Those people caught on, they became angry and smart."

Pavel glanced at Max for a second and continued. "The benevolent master made a plan to rob a very rich women. The boy couldn't play the part he had to so he found a different boy to take his place." That poor patsy had no idea what was going to happen that terrible night, neither did Pavel but he should have known. You don't target a noble face to face if you aren't ready to play for keeps. Augustus was the one who taught Pavel to fight, Augustus didn't fight because he like the exercise. "The benevolent master was a dangerous man and he killed the rich Baroness and the boy ran and hide while his replacement was punished for the crime. He thought it wasn't his fault but he could have warned her. Instead he hide like coward until the guards found him and conscripted him to become soldier."

Pavel thought of all the people who accompanied him along the way, many who were no longer here. "The young boy was now a young soldier, he thought he was smart and brave. This soldier fought kobolds, dragons and ghosts. He rode against ogier and fought side by side with centaurs. He thought he was brave and smart. When his commander needed his help the boy ran away like coward. When his friends needed his help the boy abandoned them like a coward. He thought it wasn't his fault. He, I thought it was all someone else's fault. It was mine, I let the Baroness die. I abandoned Brandon Highwater. I abandoned my friend Zlog. I did it because I am afraid, of a lot of things. I won't run from them anymore. Please let me through door."

Letting his story end Pavel stared at the door wondering if it was good enough.

Last edited by Craigthulu; 09-27-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:16 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics

Pavel had never really talked about his past before. Most of what Red knew about it had come out during their spat in the mines of the Black Gold Clan, and even then, the details of his childhood were left vague enough that, while she was able to understand the sufferings of his life at the time poor kid had to eat rats there was nothing explicitly incriminating, nothing that specifically tied him to the Thieves' Guild, or to Rythey.

So that explained the murder of the Baroness Auldyngton! Red had been introduced to the baroness a number of times, and was even obliged to attend the funeral service, despite not having cared for the woman very much. Speculation surrounding her death was reliable conversation within her family's social circles for a month afterwards, and most of the noble estates had increased their security measures in response. The person who had been apprehended, a young man, had an otherwise spotless record. Red never did hear what happened to him after that.

The woman places a hand on Pavel's shoulder, trying to give him a look of encouragement as they wait for the door to open. Yet, it doesn't budge.

"...Nothing?" she says to the face on the door, more than a little irate for Pavel's sake. "He pours his soul out for you, and that isn't enough?"

She scoffs. "What is it with you apes? Your brother asks for food, but only accepts songs; you request a story, but apparently, that's not what you want, either! So what's the trick? Is there a third of you somewhere that demands a song, but is indifferent to music? You all think it's funny being swapped around?" Yanking one of Allouette's apples from her bag, she outright stuffs the entirety of the thing thing into the ape's mouth. "Well, see how well you can laugh now."

Red turns around, releasing a deep breath and brushing a strand of hair off of her forehead. Well, that felt good, at least.

"Listen, Pavel," she starts, breaking the lingering silence. "It was a fine story. Although, some of the details may need adjusted. I mean..." she holds her hands in the air for a moment, in thought, and continues, "Well, for one, you didn't abandon your captain. You were sticking by your friend, who was hopefully doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. That took bravery." She pauses. "And you didn't abandon Zlog, either. We had to send him away; it was the only way to ensure his safety. It was the only smart option, and you know that."

"And the Baroness? She was a proud woman. Even if you had known what was to happen, she never would have listened to somebody like you." The wizard grimaces; it wasn't the most brilliant choice of words. "You know. A commoner. Sorry."

"But... thanks, Pavel."
Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

The group debated what story to tell the ape for a few moments at which point Pavel mentions something that includes an elf that is cursed for loving a dwarf. Brom's cheeks turn a bit red and he let's out a deep sigh at the thought of a curse being caused by a dwarf. Before he can respond to the young human's incredulous idea the ape pushes to speed things up. Just putting a simple lock on the door instead of this silly ape would speed things up!

Pavel launches into a story about a kid in an orphanage. Here we go... the elf that was cursed by a dwarf. Brom was ready to knock the kid on the head but changed his attitude as he heard instead about a kid who was trapped in a life that he did not choose. As the story came to a close Pavel was speaking in the first person. Thinking about his own family, his mom and dad, who lived a life that was not honest in the strict sense brought a few tears to Brom's eyes. Brom wiped his brow with his sleeve and placed a hand on Pavel's shoulder. "Amazing story kid... you'll have time to show them who you are!"

The dwarf took a step back to stand by Alahk and wait for the ape to determine if the story was enough to open the door. "If that wasn't enough of a story then these ape's need more than an apple stuck in their mouth!" Brom took the warhammer that was in his hand and shoved it out towards the door for some added emphasis.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
After confessing to all of his crimes Pavel was amazed that Max still seemed to be supporting him. Even Brom was showing a certain amount of faith in Pavel despite not really knowing him that long. The cynical part of Pavel told him that these people couldn't be trusted or counted on. That voice was forced down as Pavel swallowed his pride wondering why the door wouldn't open.

"I still stole from the Headmaster. He wasn't a terrible person but I did it anyway. " Pavel was young then but not stupid, he knew that stealing from the Head Master meant stealing from the other boys. "I stole from plenty of other people too. When Agustus taught me to fight it wasn't to fight fair, he fought to kill. I always knew what he was, I just never admitted it. I didn't kill the Baroness but I didn't try to save her."

Pavel had to think about his options and his future. "Max when this is done I am going back to Rythey. Brandon gave me a chance to turn my life around and whatever the reason, I deserted my post. When I am released from duty or prison I am going to find Zlog and help him. He wasn't smart, but he was kind, brave and lucky."

Thinking about Zlog Pavel thought about the orcs singing in a similar hall. His voice was off key and generally terrible but the door opened for him. The door opened after Zlog repeated the phrase above the door. Feed the monkey. Feed feed the monkey.

Was the password written above the door for forgetful elves. "Door. Tell me a story." Pavel took a breath and started singing. "Tell me a story. Tell me a story."
Old 10-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
The face listened quietly to all the stories, not showing any emotions, not interrupting, and certainly not opening. Finally, Pavel asked the door to tell a story as well. "My tern eh? Well, I only know one. Once upon a time, it was dark. Quiet. Nice. Nothing to interrupt one's sleep and thoughts, except the comforting tick of a clock. Then, some light comes down the hallway, and with it lots of new noises. They tell stories. Then, they want me to tell a story too! How Rude." The story ended with the ape sticking his tongue out at the soldiers. "There you have it. My whole life's story. Are you happy?"

OODMYou are getting close. Looks like you guys might have missed what actually made the first door open though.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3405
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
"Happier if you opened," Alahk proclaimed, stepping up alongside Brom. He lay one taloned hand atop the dwarf's war hammer. Martial ability was all the warrior monk knew, but something told him they weren't getting by the door by bashing away at it. "Plzen warned me before he sent me here that not all problems are solved with force..."

He turned his beak away, into one of the dark corners of the tunnel. Part of him wanted to condemn Pavel when he told his story. The others had accepted the rogue despite that though, and after his own speckled past, who was he to condemn another?

"What story do you want, door monkey?"

Old 10-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
"The last door opened when Zlog sang and said the phrase above the door." Pavel leaned against the wall, trying to figure out exactly what the wall was looking for in a story. "Maybe it is the tone and the phrase. Zlog also sang in a rhyming pattern." Pavel ignored the door, as having a conversation and reasoning with it was clearly not going to work. The door would only open under certain conditions. "This door has talked about quiet, solitude, and darkness."

Pavel moved close to the door and whispered his thir attempt.

"There once was a door who lived in a cave.
In the darkness the door was brave.
Alone and quiet the door enjoyed the dark
When there were visitors which made the door hark.
Who are you, the first visitors in my history.
Tell me a story, tell tell me a story."

"If that doesn't work I'll trying to sing."
Old 10-08-2018, 08:00 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

The group stood by the door and tried different stories to try and open it. There had to be a way to solve this puzzle but Brom's patience was wearing thin. He understood why mechanism's would be placed on doors to bar entrance but arcane riddles are another thing entirely. Alahk placed his hand on Brom's warhammer to help calm the dwarf but all he received was a cold stare. Nothing good ever came form magic and this was another lesson on that front. Pavel tried another story, this time in a rhyming pattern. To the dwarf it sounded sillier than the first story and he figured it surely wasn't going to work. If he couldn't use his hammer to bash the door open he might as well sit on the ground and rest a bit. Brom placed his back against the wall and slid down until he was seated on the cold stone.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
The Ape started to look annoyed as story after story continued on. Then, it nearly hit a boiling point and lost its temper when Pavel threatened to sing. "What on earth makes you think," the face started yelling out, loud enough to cut through all the chatter, "That I want ANY of you to TELL ME A STORY!" As soon as the words were spoken by the door, 'Tell me a story', the stone started to shift. "Woha, what's happening," the Ape protested, as the door started to swing open. It was the first time in its creation that the animated ape had physically ever moved anywhere, and he wasn't taking it well. "Make it stop! Make it stop!" it continued to protest, until the door was fully open, burring the face into the wall on the near side. The protests continued but were now muffled, and nearly inaudible.

A bright gold lite radiated from the room beyond. As the Soldiers stepped through the doorway, they saw a familiar rune etched on the floor.
From it, light radiated that lit the whole room, a room that was much larger than it should have been. The size of the room could not physically fit underground, given the distance the soldiers had walked down the stairs and through the hallways. The room was about thirty feet wide, sixty feet deep, but looked like over a hundred feet high. On either side of the glowing rune, two massive plates of shiny metal, etched with more runes and images were laid into the floor, matching the hight of the stonework upon with the soldiers stood. Beyond that was the source of the ticking sound, now extremely loud. A massive network of clockwork gears filled the back half of the room. On top of them was what looked like a giant clock. The clock was not keeping the time of day, however. It had It had four hands. Two of them were pointed directly up, and two of them near the end of their rotation to also be pointing up. The marks around the edge of the clock were not set to determine hours. There were various kinds of divisions, only one of which divided the circle into twelve parts, as a clock would. None of the hands were visibly moving with the ticking sound made by the gears.

OODMArcana, History or Investigation checks can be used to figure out what the objects in the room are. There are the two metal plates or the clock. When making a check, please indicate which of these objects is being studied.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics

"Humm," muses a cooling Red as the door swings itself open, "some security system. Unlocks itself after a small number of brute-force entry attempts." She might have felt some sympathy for the poor muffled monkey, were she not frustrated with her own failed attempts to unlock the door and eager to see what mystery lied beyond.

The large room was magnificent to behold, with the glowing runes and clockwork structure. It was the kind of ancient, curious place that Red had often dreamed about finding, some remnant of knowledge tucked away and waiting to be studied for the first time.

"Goodness. Kind of exciting, isn't it?" she offers her companions as she takes in the dimly-lit sights. "The room can't be this size, surely? Maybe an illusion, but to what end..." the wizard trails off for a moment, considering the clockwork structure now. "Well, that's probably our timer then. Four hands... interesting. Would somebody like to find out what they represent? I'm going to try to decipher the runes on these plates," she adds, hunching over one. "Hopefully they will provide some insight here..."