RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > Mysoth – Winds of Change
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5192
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep

"Alvyn's on the weird side, but you'll like him," Red adds, having little to say to the centaurs that Pavel hasn't already said. Something about the way the young man interacted with them—talking strategy, shaking hands, even standing a little taller—commanded the same respect one would show a ranking officer. Credit where it was due; the past few weeks had matured the boy, made him a fine soldier.

Not without some irony, she considers that those same weeks have had quite the opposite effect on her.

"Oh, also, you should probably tell the captain to barricade the barn tunnel," she offers. "Just in case."

"I can't say I'm happy about their odds," she quietly tells Pavel afterward. "Even combined, they're going to be outnumbered ten to one. And that's being generous." She frowns. "We need to pick up the pace. Should we send Alahk ahead to prepare? Pick up some supplies and plan a route?"
Old 12-29-2018, 12:03 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3405
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Alahk perked up when he heard his name mentioned. He stepped a bit closer to the two soldiers. "Snake people won't look to the sky. I can make it to Rythey without being spotted. I... Know the way."

Alahk had flown on Rythey once before during his clan's assault on the fort. Reaching it was easy enough. "Just give me a message and I will have it delivered."

Old 12-30-2018, 09:38 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics

"Rythey? No, not Rythey. Your home. I... why don't I know what your colony is called? But that's where we're going. Here, hold this." Red takes an inkwell from her pack and places it into Alahk's wings, then dabs a quill into it. "We'll need whatever cold-weather gear your clan can provide. Coats, boots, gloves. Blankets, maybe. Anything to keep us from freezing. Maybe oil and tinder, too; I haven't been warm in weeks. And climbing gear. I bought some already, but we might need more. And, hmm..." she taps the feather tip of the quill against her chin, thoughtfully considering the two lines she has written. "...Rather short list, isn't it?"

"Well, anyway. And try to get some leads as to how we might go about getting to... the... the, uh, dragon. Oh, actually, hang on." She takes out a pouch, and begins dropping gold coins into it. Quite many coins—probably a hundred, give or take. "Do you think that will be enough? There will be more coming, if you need it."
Old 12-31-2018, 10:27 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Alahk watches her work, eyes flicking and nodding at each of the requests. Of course she meant his clan-home. Going back there would be easier than going to Rythey, but harder too. More familiar faces. Disbelief at the request. He just hoped that Plzen would see the necessity.

He catches the bag of gold in an open claw and pokes at it with his beak. It's more gold than he has held in his life. "I will let them know," he affirms. "But... Isn't necessary. This is for the good of all our land. My people should help regardless."

The aarakocra slips the pouch and Red's note into a secure pouch at his waist, then hopped back to give himself enough clearance. "Travel safe, all of you. I will look for your approach."

Alahk let out a cawing goodbye, took a few bobbing steps, then launched himself into the air. He would push himself as never before to get to the mountain and get the message delivered in time.

Last edited by Nasrith; 12-31-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2786
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

As the group healed the centaur and Jaux set off, Brom realized the error in his thinking. The obvious solution is not always the best... especially when so many different thoughts and motives are at hand.... I must rely on the knowledge and skill of the others in the group to help us through this. The dwarf was good at not allowing his emotions to cloud his thought process but assessing the value of others and the effect they could have on the outcome was something knew to him. When the foursome spotted the centaurs coming from the other direction Brom thought it was the right time to express his thanks to his friends. "I have much to learn about all the forces at play here but I seem to have found the right group to learn from. Thanks to the three of you we are on our way to helping in this much larger battle!"

For the first time in quite a few days the dwarf's mind drifts back to his shop keeping life in Hay Field. His family had prospered in the village and Brom could have led a decent life with never needing to leave the village. Now however he sees that some are destined to be more than their original selves. Red, Pavel and Alahk are prime examples of individuals that are on their way to being more than what may have been expected. Am I that different? Maybe I will be like them some day..

As Alahk flew off with the coins that may be needed for the group's journey into the mountains Brom gathered his cloak around him and adjusted his pack. Standing near his mount he mentioned, "Shall we be off then? I am hoping we can track down this dragon... you never know what histories they know of!"

Old 01-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17868
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Return to RytheyAlahk took to the skies and made headway, as fast as he could, to reach the Aarokocra. Brom, Pavel, and Red Continued on with their horses towards Rythey. The small pack of Centaurs followed along a short distance behind. Jaux was friendly enough, but the others still seemed distrustful of those whom they viewed as outsiders. And could they be blamed? Their homelands had just been overrun by an army of outsiders, and now they were traveling, perhaps for the first time in their lives, away from those lands. When the walls of Rythey finally came into view, the Centaurs opted to stay back, only Jaux continuing on with the soldiers. "They are nervous, and want to make sure that they will be accepted inside before they come."

Once the gates came into view, the Soldiers recognized something was wrong almost immediately. There were two soldiers standing up on the walls, looking towards the sky, but neither of them were moving or took acknowledgment of the approaching soldiers. Moreover, the gates to Rythey were not closed. One looked halfway open, the other was completely missing from its hinges. A little closer and the missing door was spotted to be in pieces, shattered on the ground. The way it had been broken though did not signify someone or something breaking into the fortress, but rather something busting the door outwards. The air was even colder now, unnaturally cold. And, everything was dead-silent. There were no sounds of drills being conducted, bells ringing, horses eating, or any other sounds of the daily bustle one would expect.

Jaux even picked up that something was not Ok, even with this being his first time at Rythey. Instinctively he gripped his pike, prepared for the worst. Going through the gates, the Soldiers immediately saw several other residents of Rythey, who like the two soldiers seen earlier up on the walls were not moving. Melenor, the cook, was running, mid-step across the courtyard towards the barracks. The Priest, the other Pavel, was standing out in front of the chapel, staring upwards. They were frozen solid in place. Covered in a thin layer of ice. The Soldiers had only seen something like this once before when they found the frozen Dwarf in the snake temple buried in the ground below. The very armor that the dwarf had been wearing was now adorning Brom.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics

No part of Red had wanted to return to Rythey. Nothing would have served better than to bypass the fortress, taking the underground passage from the statue in the woods straight to the aarakocra city. Whether due to the fact that she made herself a fugitive from these walls, or her resentment for certain individuals contained within, she wouldn't have been able to say. It was probably both.

But nobody, not even Brandon Highwater, deserved this.

"Captain Highwater?" the wizard calls out through the eerie silence. "Danny? Rufus?" She tries any name she can think of; but the thought of one catches in her throat, causing her voice to go quiet. "...Zlog?"

Her eyes become wet, and she shivers. She tightens her shawl around her neck, as though it was nothing more than a reaction to the lingering cold.

"No. Oh, no," she stammers, the implications sinking in. The already-abysmal odds of success for their plan just sank to zero. How could they expect a vengeful dragon to grant them aid? How could a ruined Rythey hold off a horde?

"But what... what are we supposed to do now?" she asks softly, voice fraught with despair.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
Alahk climbed higher and higher. For once, the joy of flight was lost to him, replaced by urgency. He watched as Red, Pavel, and Brom disappeared below him like ants. Soon even Rythey had shrunk to little more than a speck.

He landed at the center of his clan grounds, every fiber of his body on fire from the flight. As soon as he touched down, he knew something was wrong. He hadn't expected a warm greeting, but there should have been something! The monk exhaled and his breath fogged the air ahead of him. Odd, this early in the season.

That's when he saw them: aarakocra, at least what was left of them. He fell to a knee amongst his clanmates, shattered like glass, and reached out a clawed hand. Ice? Had the dragon found them first? What other explanation could there be?

He sprung back up, suddenly very aware of the stillness. He moved carefully to the Elder's Hut, afraid that if his movements were too quick, he would shatter what was left of his clan. Coming out from behind a copse of trees, he spotted Plzen and his druid friend. Frozen but intact. The birdman crept closer, drawn in by the elder that had given him a second chance despite the horror he had wrought.

"Plzen... I will find a way to undo this," he whispered, though there was no one there to hear him. "I will protect Rythey, your friends, and the clan."

With a shaking claw, he reached out to grasp the clan's most sacred relic. As gently as a secret lover, he slipped the mask out of Plzen's hand and held it tight. He watched breathlessly, hoping that the elder would suddenly wake and tell him what to do next. He didn't, and there was nothing left to say.

Numbly, he went into the hut and began to gather the things on Red's list. Whether or not they would need it now, it was the only direction he had. Only after he had gathered as much as he reasonably could that he let his thoughts wander to his family. With a stunted gait, he moved in the direction of his childhood tree-hut.

He didn't know what he would find there, but he had to see for himself if there was anything left of the parents that had taught him all he knew.

Last edited by Nasrith; 01-11-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14652
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
Their return was going to be hard to explain to Brandon. "We abandoned our post but we need you to trust us and give us aid." "You can't trust to fight ogiers but you have to trust that we'll stop a snake god from resurrecting." "You can imprison us if we're still alive after this is all over." Pavel considered what he was going to say but nothing came to mind that would make Brandon consider forgiving them. Most likely they would be executed as traitors. Not the best way to introduce new allies to each other.

As they approached Rythey Pavels sense of dread grew in the pit of his stomach. One way or another he was certain that he would die in Rythey, by a vengeful god or a just commander. He was so self absorbed in his own plight he missed the terrible state of the fortress until it was too late.

The shattered gates and frozen occupants hit Pavel like a punch in the gut. The air and any concrete thought were driven from his body, leaving him standing there with his mouth gaping. He can hear the names of Brandon, Danny, Rufus and Zlog being muttered by Max followed by the pure despair he heard in her voice.

"Jaux" Pavel said after a long pause, his voice quiet as whisper to avoid upsetting the eerie silence of the ruined fortress. His fall from grace, the timing of his arrival to Rythey, the Relic on his arm, the anonymity of dragon. It was clear that the fate of Pavel Sil was tied to the fortress of Rythey. No matter how much he ran the problems that grew from this site would follow him forever.

Jaux. His voice a little bit steadier. "Go talk to your people. Tell them to run, anywhere but here, don't stop until there is nowhere left to run to. Don't tell me where. I won't be able to betray any secrets I don't know." Pavel looked straight ahead, not daring to look back to Jaux.

His stupid ideas had led them from disaster to disaster. If he looked back now he was sure he would stop doing what he planned to do. If anyone questioned him he would turn around and they would see the naked fear on his face and he would see that fear reflected in their eyes. He would run and hide and bring this kind of calamity with him to wherever he chose to go.

Pavel finally understood why so many heroes are described from behind as they walk forward. If anyone saw them from the front they would look like cowards, fools or both. The only difference between desperation and heroics was perspective.

Taking the first step forward was the hardest. His feet felt frozen to the ground like the residents of the fortress. It took all his will power to take the first step. As slow as he was moving he wasn't able to stop his second step. If stopped he would stop forever. "I'm going into Rythey. Taking Father Pavels holy symbol and using it to destroying the alter in the temple."

"Max, Brom. You can come with me if you want. If you decide to leave, I'll understand."

Last edited by Craigthulu; 01-06-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics

"...Okay," Red agrees, after a while. She closes her eyes and rubs the bridge of her nose. "Okay. I’m with you, Pavel." It wasn’t a particularly good plan. The ease with which they could be cornered by the encroaching yuan-ti aside, how would they even begin asking Bruhaha to bless them with a sampling of holy vengeance? In some ways, bartering with a dragon seemed more promising than bartering with a god.

On the other hand, there was no wisdom in meddling with a dragon of sour temperament. Pavel’s plan might not be good, exactly; but under the circumstances, and lacking any alternative ideas on her part, she would trust her friend and throw herself behind him fully.

"Can we spare some time?" she asks, surveying the fortress around her. "We should... we should make sure everybody is accounted for, if we can. And I want to look through Brandon’s things. Maybe there’s... I don’t know, something that will help us."

"Not to mention that Alahk will be waiting for us. Brom, do you want to try signaling the aarakocra? Their clan is in the mountains over there," she specifies, pointing south. "They might send somebody to check it out."
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2786
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

The 3 adventurers set off with the group of centaurs towards Rythey as Alahk flew off to his clan's territory. The centaurs followed behind as the horses with Pavel, Red and Brom led the way. As they traveled the dwarf inquired as to his allies previous experiences within the encampment. It was a difficult story to take in knowing that both were willing to go back to the place that they previously had run from. He wasn't sure what direction the discussions would take once they arrived but it was possibly the only way to move forward.

The cold winds and stillness were the first indication that something was wrong. The group neared the walls and there was absolutely no movement or signs of life. With all of the expectations that Brom was winding through in his mind this was something that he could never have prepared for. They neared the gates and found them open and broken. Turning to his friends he stated simply "I am deeply saddened by this... something bigger than our battles is surely afoot. I will help any way I can."

Brom follows Pavel and Red and helps to gather supplies and help to destroy the temple. He is not sure whether desecrating another god's home will draw undue criticism from Muamman but he guesses that it is better than it falling into the hands of the snake men. Afterwards he begins to gather any heating oils and flammable materials that he can to send smoke into the sky. "This may draw attention from others as well so we should be prepared to head out at once if the evil ones see this." He lights a torch and sets fire to the pile to signal the clan to the south.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17868
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Inside RytheyJaux was flustered when Pavel told him to run. He didn't have a response but wasn't going to argue either. As the Centaur took off, the Soldiers decided their own course of action. The Altar should be destroyed. Hopefully, there would be enough materials in the chapel to accomplish the feat. The soldiers walked through the courtyard, taking note of everyone they could identify.

Captian Highwater was spotted on the rear ramparts, using a shield to try and protect his wife Joan. Joan herself was working a ballista, the bolt was halfway out of the machine where it was frozen in place. One by one, everyone they knew was at the fort was located and accounted for. Except for Garaele, Zlog, and Danny. Garaele and Zlog were assumed to be at Rythey, they had traveled back after the battle with the Ogres at the crossroads. But Danny's absence was unaccounted for. Perhaps he was already sent back to his parents at Hay Field before Rythey was attacked?

Pavel made his way into the chapel and started looking for anything that could be used to destroy the evil Altar bellow. He found a few vials of holy water, and a few golden chalices, the Holy Symbol of Bruhaha. He also found a cask of wine, blessed by the Priests of Bruhaha for use in ceremonies.

On the CliffsAlahk grabbed the mask. It felt warm in his hand, and he could feel a tingling sensation of power course through his body from. He would need some time to understand its power. This was the first he had ever touched the mask. Normally, it was only ever used by the clan's shaman. He knew it had some kind of powers of clairvoyance, but little beyond that. For the moment, he had another task. Find what he could to help the soldiers survive in the mountains. His people had little that would be useful for the others, unfortunately. Warm blankets were aplenty, but boots and gloves were not something used by the Aarokocra, as their talons would get in the way.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics

"Danny?" Red tried again, shouting out the boy's name louder as she became more confident that he wasn't among the frozen. Well, his absence could only be a good thing in this case.

She spends some time simply staring at Captain Highwater and his wife, fixed in their final moment. It is a scene as beautiful and fascinating as it is macabre. At one point, she stands directly opposite Brandon, contemplating the old soldier's grim determination, wondering what his last thoughts must have been, or if he was much too focused to have any at all. Struck by the scene, she uses what little talent she has for it to sketch their figures, their expressions onto some parchment. This was the kind of ending her favorite novels could only dream of.

"Sorry, Captain," she apologizes, though she couldn't say for what. It takes a few tough pulls, but she finally frees the keys to the fortress from their icy owner. With one final look behind her, not entirely free of guilt, she leaves to go looking to find what little resources or knowledge Brandon had available to him.

OOC
Priorities would be immediately useful things like magic items, emergency procedures, useful local contacts, or methods of communication, preferably for cities or other military units. Also an inventory of items in the fortress, specifically tools that could be employed in demolition if holy might fails.

But if she's going to sift through documents while they wait for Alahk to come back, anything else of fun or interest would also be welcome. Maybe anything on herself or her friends... just for curiosity, of course.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
Alahk's wings propelled him up to his family's raised home. It was a nest of wood and thatching, a merging of the aarakocra's avian roots and influences from the surrounding human civilizations. He touched down gingerly on the outer deck, slipping past the hanging curtain that acted as a door for the small residence.

His breath caught in his throat. They weren't there! Logically that didn't mean much - they were warriors and would have been among the first to fly to the clan's defense. Until he saw their bodies though, there was hope that they had survived. They could have escaped when they realized the situation was desperate. Perhaps they remained safely frozen like Plzen and Alvyn instead of dashed against the hard ground like so many others. Alahk gritted his beak. He had responsibilities. More and more people relying on him. He would come back to continue his search for them later on.

As the monk turned to go, an empty rack on the wall caught his eye. It had once held the axe that now sat strapped to his back. He touched the haft of the blade and then the mask. Despite the differences between he and his clanmates, they had given him so much. And I so little to them, he thought. It is time to change that.

He exited the home and launched himself from the balcony, propelled into the air by grim determination. The aarakocra shifted his path to bring him back towards Rythey. Before long, the pillar of smoke came into view. Whether it was a good omen or a bad one, he couldn't say. Whichever it was, he would be ready.
OOCLeft this post with Alahk flying back. Not sure how long it will take him to return or what the rest of the party will get done in the meantime. He'll tackle figuring out the mask once he returns to the group.

Assuming they won't impede his flight, he's taking four of the warm blankets with him.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14652
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
Pavel rummaged through the church taking anything that would be remotely useful for the coming trials. Throwing the chalices in his bag, he tied the small cask of wine to bottom of his pack. Blessed was blessed as far as he was concerned, he wasn't sure if Bruhaha had tier of blessed materials. The holy symbol he tied around his neck so that it would be safe on his person no matter what happened.

With everything useful that he could think of Pavel was left standing alone in the church, unsure of what to do. Alahk wasn't back yet, and Max and Brom were searching the fortress for items that might be useful the possibility of a survivor. If Pavel had survived the calamity that attack Rythey he wouldn't want to be found. Let the survivor hide and sneak away, they had experienced enough all ready.

The final hour was upon him and he suddenly had an abundance of time on his hand. With little else to do Pavel kneeled in front of the altar and took a hold of the Amulet. "Bruhaha." He said unsure of how to continue, he hadn't really ever prayed to the diety before. At least not for real, the only times he had been in a ceremony was when he was forced to attend at the orphanage. Those experiences involved who could cause the most mischief without getting caught. Latter as a thief he had gone to the temples to mark easy targets. Neither experience helped him remember the words.

"I've stole. Lied. Hurt people intentionally. Turned a blind eye to things I know are wrong. I've abandoned people who needed me. I'm ready to atone for my sins." He stayed in his position and took a deep breath trying to think if destroying the temple would help clear his name in the eyes of god. His past actions had been illegal and immoral but he wasn't a threat to the country. This would have to clear his slate, if he survived.

"Please help me destroy the temple beneath Rythey. I might die but try to keep Max safe. She might be the first friend I've ever had." If there was supposed to be reply Pavel wasn't sure exactly what it would be. He kept his eyes closed and back to the door despite the years of training telling him not to.