Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > Mysoth Winds of Change
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17391
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
The decision was made. They would leave the boy to sleep, feeling his fate was at best no worse than now, if something did happen to them. Keeping him away from danger was probably a good idea. The door whispered 'Ok' back to Pavel, glad that they were letting Danny sleep. They then continued on. The tunnels wound down for a while, familiar paths now to the soldiers. The biggest change, there were now many sets of footprints on the ground, as it took the soldiers of Rythey quite a while to extract all of the treasure or any valuables that were still in the strange snake temple.

Eventually, the tunnel widened, and the Soldiers knew they were getting close to the statue. A large stone snake with its mouth opened was the gate that gave entry-way into the ancient temple of the Yuan-ti. Even knowing what was down there sent chills down the spins of the soldiers. No longer the dragon wyrmling, or kobold followers. What remained now was the Alter. An alter upon which an untold number of sacrifices had occurred a millennia ago. With a bit of trepidation, the stairs and rooms were navigated to the base of the statue.

Finally the last stairs were reached. Heading down them, the Soldiers entered the room where the dreaded Alter stood. The other objects in the room had been cleared out, leaving only the snake engraving on the ground, and the Alter itself. The room was now, however, only lit by the Soldier's torches. The soft blue light that had illuminated this room from the doorway out and the cavity in the ground surrounding the temple were now dark. It was a sign that the arcane energy powering the runes had expired. But, the Soldiers had a goal. They intended to destroy the Alter, in hopes that it might somehow slow down or delay the approaching army.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2212
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

Pavel expressed his intention of leaving the sleeping boy alone and venturing further into the tunnels to the altar further in. Brom didn't have a good feel for the situation one way or the other. He decided that his thoughts were trumped by those who had prior knowledge of the area anyways so he nodded an affirmative to Pavel and readied for the walk further into the tunnels.

As they entered the altar room it was dark and quiet. Brom said nothing but he thought to himself, The boy must have a reason to destroy this thing but it sure doesn't look too evil. I mean the craftsmanship is a bit off in a few places but otherwise it is just a dark cold remnant. He used his booted foot to move a few items around but nothing seemed out of sorts. "Well, what is our plan here... shall we set fire to it and erase all of the history?"

Old 02-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14652
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
The eerie blue lights that had previously lite the room were growing dimmer. Pavel wished he had kept a few of his candles. For the short time he would be down here torch light and the diminishing arcane energy would have to do.

Looking at the altar Pavel placed the cask of blessed wine on the floor. Reaching into his pack he placed two goblets beside it, along with two vials of holy water. The former thief took the holy symbol from around his neck and held it out his fist.

"The last time we were down here this statue corrupted our friend and tricked him into making a sacrifice on the Altar." This was when their brave Captain sacrificed the white dragons body to the snake god. The first of many missed clues that the dragon and snake were enemies. "If the snake god can get power from this altar it can lose power here too."

"My plan is simple. We are going to pray, then we are going to use this blessed items to destroy the altar. Along with these we also have the relics that the dragon was was trying to find. They might help, if the dragon is still looking for them it might lead it here and then the snake god will have to deal with an angry dragon."

Pavel held out his left and right hand making a semi circle. "Step one, lets hold hands and Pray. Bruhaha isn't a selfish god so pray to any god you see fit. The more we have on our side the better."
Old 03-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5192
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep

As though able to read Pavel's thoughts, Red busies herself by removing some candles from her pack and setting them alight with her fingertips.

The gently flickering warmth of the tiny flames serve to keep her calm. It's impossible not to shiver when remembering that this was the place she had very nearly been frozen alive like those above. Add in the advancing yuan-ti, the current height of the stakes, and the guilt of leaving Danny asleep by himself... that she isn't shaking uncontrollably is nothing short of miraculous. Hopefully her composure wouldn't drain the entirety of their miracle pool today.

Her right hand takes Pavel's; her left grips Brom's.

...How should she do this? Prayer was not a Beauvilliers activity. The servants had prayed, but Red had only heard easy rhymes to bless a meal. Who should she pray to? Should she say it out loud, or would thinking a prayer count? What was the proper thing to say? Why was she so clueless about something others did so simply?

In the end, she doesn't direct her words to anybody. She's not sure who is out there, listening... but she decides that somebody must be.

"Um. I know you're hearing this," she whispers, trying to ignore the notion that the other three might eavesdrop on something that is suddenly feeling very personal. "Well, I don't have evidence that you are. But I don't think I would still be talking if some part of me didn't believe that. Being back here makes me all TOO aware just how close I've come to death in the past few weeks... and I have to feel as though there's a reason I've avoided it. Maybe... maybe I needed to make it here. Maybe somebody needed me to make it here."

"Don't get me wrong; I have no expectations that this... call it 'luck', or 'guidance', or 'charity'... will last beyond the day. But for now, I'm here. I made it here. Which means I only need one more thing from you. I'm sure you already know what it is."

"Please."
Old 03-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3287
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Alahk
left-aligned image
Alahk entered the temple behind the others, shivering as he passed under the snakehead gate. He had never seen the temple before, decked out in gold and ancient treasure like the others had. To him, it seemed vast, empty. A dark and evil hole from which life flees.

The aarakocra took his clan's mask - Plzen's mask - and placed it upon his beaked face. There was no rush of power. No great insight came to him. He felt closer to his clan than he had since his earliest days as a hatchling, but maybe that was his mind playing tricks.

He closed the circle, taking Brom's hand in one claw and Pavel's in the other. He squeezed ever so gently. He was ready.

Ancestors guide me, he thought, sending his consciousness inward, through the mask and into the land of endless skies where the spirits of his clan were said to dwell after they passed on from this plane. Give us aid so that the clan may be saved and the land we call home will live on.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Taking hands, the four soldiers offered a prayer. One to Bruhaha, for both protection, and the ability to be able to destroy the altar. None spoke out loud, but they each had their own thoughts and words, silently in their hearts. At first, it might have seemed a little silly. Four soldiers in an ancient dark temple buried holding hands, praying to a deity that none had formerly worshiped or served in the past. As they started to focus though, dark clouds began to encroach upon their minds. It was a feeling of doom and terror that sank to their bones. Chilling like artic winds, attempting to suck the life out of them. Then, at the edge of their vision, within their minds' eyes, they could see a flash of something. A giant tail of a massive snake. It had black glossy scales, with golden inlays between hem. They never saw the face of the serpent, it kept slithering about just on the edge of their perceptions. A feeling of despair started to creep in. Was this what had driven their friend mad, the last time they were down here?

OODMI need everyone to roll a WIS saving through. If you are proficient in Religion, you may make a Religion check instead. This will be a group check, so all four results will matter collectively.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

Brom nodded towards Pavel and extended his left hand towards the rogue just as Red grabbed the cleric's right. He locked eyes with Alahk and then closed his own, ready to say a silent prayer to Muamman Duathal. He started his incantations in his mind as his lip started to tremble a bit.

The deep despair of helplessness started to sink into Brom's heart. It hit him like a thousand bricks with it's intensity and heaviness. It was all the cleric could do to WIS save of 19push the evil thoughts away and continue his silent prayer to his gods. He continued on and tried to focus on his thoughts and nothing else.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
Pavel felt the reassuring grip of his friends and began to pray. Bruhaha, please guide us in our time of need. As Pavel prayed he felt the cold chill of despair seep into his bones. A shuddering through went through his mind, he was experiencing this with three other companions. Stiles would have gone through this alone.

Maybe Stiles had still been himself inside his head, calling for help while no one could understand. Was Stiles another friend that Pavel had let down. Was he going to let down Danny now too. Apathy began to take hold inside Pavels mind as he wondered what the point of any of this if he was just going fail in the end. How could he ever hope to defeat a god.

Last edited by Craigthulu; 03-06-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Alahk
left-aligned image
Alahk tried to imagine the hundreds of aarakocra of his clan behind him, flying to his aid and fighting off the cold.

Through images of his clan, he saw the snake. It slithered, creeping across a shadowed world. He shivered involuntarily. Whatever this thing was, the spirits of his clan wouldn't be enough to defeat it. One by one, the images that gave him strength were blotted out. By the end, all that remained was the hissing of the massive, godly reptile.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Pave and Alahk were struggling. Despair was setting in, and it began to consume them. Doubts, fears, old wounds crept up in their minds. Brom was already a man of faith, and had the training to deal with this kind of assault. Although difficult, he kept the darkness at bay. But, almost by surprise, it was Red who fought through the despair despite all the signs pointing to her lack of ability to do so. A prayer to a god she did not believe in, bolstered by the aid of Brom, it seemed was enough to break through the attack, and push it back. It felt like a weight being lifted off their shoulders, as the room suddenly filled with light. It emanated from a large glass pitcher, filled with wine, sparkling in the air just above the altar. It was massive in size, easily enough for the quartet of adventurers to jump into, were it on the ground and they had a ladder to reach its top. It was dim at first, but then grew brighter and brighter, raiding a red wine colored light. Then, the pitcher dropped suddenly. It crashed onto the later below. When it hit, the sound was like that of a boulder splitting in half. Dust spew into the air from a massive crack down the center of the altar, which crumbled until two halves fell off to the sides.

As quickly as everything had started, it all stopped. The room was dark again, except for the torches used by the Soldiers. The pitcher was gone, but the damage done to the altar was permanent. It had been smashed in two. A feat accomplished with nothing other than Faith. A feat that would have been possible without it. Would that stop the Yuan-Ti army approaching above ground? The soldiers did not know the answer to that question. But they did know, that for now at least, there was a small victory they could celebrate.

OODMCongratulations! As a team, we had two passing a fairly high DC for a WIS save, which was good enough to pull off the feat and keep everyone safe. Time to decide what to do next. But, next rest we have, everyone will Level up to 5!
Old 03-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
When it seemed like Pavel couldn't hold out any longer the dread and despair lifted from his mind. He found himself still holding hands with his friends as the biggest glass of wine he had ever seen coalesced into view. The giant wine glass fell onto the altar shattering it into two pieces.

"I didn't think that would happen." Was all Pavel could think to say as he looked on at the shattered altar. Opening the cask of wine Pavel poured wine into two of the blessed wine goblets. The first he filled right to the brim, taking a sip he passed it to Red. "I've never seen a clearly sign in my life."

Having handed off the goblet Pavel filled the other goblet and walked over to the smashed altar. He poured the holy wine over the desecrated altar. "In Bruhahas name I bless this temple." For good measure Pavel blessed the altar with the holy water as well and pressed his holy symbol into each half of the Altar. It might be superstition but he had heard that three was a divine number, three blessings would be that much more blessed.

Pavel refilled the wine goblet and handed it to Brom. "For strength. It's a long climb back to the top."
Old 03-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
Alahk
left-aligned image
Alahk didn't know what gods the others were praying to, but whatever he was expecting it wasn't a massive glowing pitcher falling from the sky to crack the alter in two. When he let go, his hands were damp with do birds sweat?sweat. If the alter was shattered, that meant they had succeeded, right?

When the goblet came around to him, the monk gave it a strange look. His tribe had no such drink, and it looked suspiciously like blood. Seeing the others drink gave him confidence and dispelled his fears. He dipped his beak in, slurped, and drew his head sharply back. He made a clacking noise as he cleared his pallet, then reentered his beak in the cup. It was sweet. Pleasant but odd. Opening one eye wide to look into the goblet, he passed it along.

"My village has met the same fate as the keep and the snake army will be here soon. Where do we go now? "

Old 03-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5192
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep

And in one earth-shattering BOOM, it is done.

Nobody is going to believe that divine assistance comes in the form of a giant pitcher of wine, though. That's going to be a hard sell for all but the most devoted of Bruhaha's followers. Alas, the only thing that gods cannot achieve is the sense of dramatic scale properly found within fiction. Maybe she'll punch this part up a bit when she writes about this later.

But, Red is relieved. More than relieved; she could float for all the weight that has been removed from her shoulders. She'd been right; the gods had been watching. The thought is, somehow, empowering.

The goblet is half-empty before she passes it on. She could get used to Pavel carrying wine around. Pity, though, that there is no time to celebrate their victory now. They'd have to set aside time for that when they didn't have an army bearing down on them.

"Undoubtedly some thanks are in order," she says, "but I'm sure the gods will understand if we beat a hasty retreat first. Let's pick up Danny and hurry on out of here. After that... nowhere else to go but Hamlett and Hay Field, I suppose." She shrugs. "But let's figure that out when we're safely on the road."
Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

Brom couldn't believe what he just saw. The dwarf rubbed his eyes and took another look at the altar, now laying in 2 broken parts. None of the group members had even breathed on the altar but yet it was uprooted and broken. Pavel just stood and stared at the pieces, eventually murmuring "I've never seen a clearly sign in my life."

"Aye, it would seem the gods are watching us. I've never seen an act such as this either my friend." Brom inched a few steps closer and kicked one of the fragments to the side. The piece of rubble clanged and clinked on the stone floor as it came to a rest a few yards away. When the goblet was passed to him Brom also took a drink of the wine and then handed it back. Wiping his mouth with his arm he nodded back at Red when she mentioned ".. a hasty retreat..." The cleric took one last look at the altar to make sure it was real and then made a vow to his god to help find the lesson in all of this.

"Yes, let's continue on and see what this may have done to our foes above ground. Bigger pieces are at play here.."