RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
callen95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
@Callen I have talked to you, I think I have seen Valeria's full sheet before? Was she posted on another game?
Someone else might have posted nearly the same I suppose. In my case, I've never made a character with Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic and really want to try it out, never even made one for a campaign that died immediately.

Anyway, since I last posted I've been reading more. I've played a few Flambeau, and this seems like a great opportunity to try a Tremere. I tried one before in a game that died quickly. It'd be nice to try one in a game that survives. There were a few things I started putting together. I had been debating Skinchanger and Theriomorph to manage extra Fatigue Levels, and that fit with comments in HoH:TL about Tremere Skinchangers potentially leading wolves. But I don't want to go overboard on Fatigue, I don't want to dilute the concept, and I don't want to overlap with gwythion too much. So I moved away from Skinchanger. I was looking at Puissant + Affinity with Rego, but I can move away from the duplicate OK. Here is a more complete version of what I posted above, more designed around being a Tremere necromancer.

Character Name: Valeria
Character House: Tremere
Birth Place: Born Timarete, a Bulgar with amber eyes, at The Oppidum of Seuthopolis
Parens' Tribunal: Apprenticed at The Oppidum of Lycaneon, with a magus who moved from Seuthopolis
Magical Specialty: Life Boost, Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic, Necromancy
Character Areas of Interest: Furthering the goals of House Tremere, Matres & Matrones, Necromancy (including making a talisman out of an animal corpse, probably enchanting the skull as a part of the whole specifically)

Virtues: Affinity with Rego [1], Arcane Lore [1], The Gift [0], Hermetic Maga [0], Life Boost [1], Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic [3], Minor Magical Focus: Certamen [1], Minor Magical Focus: Corpses [1] (perhaps all necromancy with animals instead, so animal corpses, skeletons, skins, but not other corpses/skeletons and still not ghosts), Mythic Characteristic: Stalwart Spellcaster [1], Puissant Magic Theory [1], Skilled Parens [0]

Flaws: Ambitious: Lead House Tremere and the Order to Conquer the World [-3], Covenant Upbringing [-1], Infamous: Necromancer [-1], Legacy: Cercistum [-1], Study Requirement [-3], Unimaginative Learner [-1]

Why was she chosen for this mission despite being young? She is mostly trained as a scout. She has proven that she can manage well without resources for extended periods. Meanwhile, a lot is expected of her with her talents.

Last edited by callen95; 02-20-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Found a way to do things I like more (next post).
Old 02-20-2019, 05:28 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
Finally! I've figured how to deal with the huge problem with living animals: food. That's why I was steering toward necromancy with animals: no worries about food. I think I know how to manage it now, so I can avoid the distaste of necromancy. And while the Tremere do do necromancy, they also work with animals, including owls.

Character Name: Valeria
Character House: Tremere
Birth Place: Born Timarete, a Bulgar with amber eyes, at The Oppidum of Seuthopolis
Parens' Tribunal: Apprenticed at The Oppidum of Lycaneon, with a magus who moved from Seuthopolis
Magical Specialty: Life Boost, Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic, Raptors
Character Areas of Interest: Furthering the goals of House Tremere, Matres & Matrones, Raptors (including making a talisman that can become a raptor and obtaining a raptor familiar)

Virtues: Affinity with Rego [1], The Gift [0], Hermetic Maga [0], Life Boost [1], Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic [3], Minor Magical Focus: Certamen [1], Minor Magical Focus: Raptors [1], Mythic Characteristic: Stalwart Spellcaster [1], Puissant Magic Theory [1], Puissant Parma Magica [1], Skilled Parens [0]

Flaws: Ambitious: Lead House Tremere and the Order to Conquer the World [-3], Covenant Upbringing [-1], Legacy: Cercistum [-1], Small Frame [-1], Study Requirement [-3], Unimaginative Learner [-1]

Why was she chosen for this mission despite being young? She is mostly trained as a scout. She has proven that she can manage well without resources for extended periods. Meanwhile, a lot is expected of her with her talents.

Last edited by callen95; 02-20-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Accounting error - found I could drop Arcane Lore for Puissant Parma Magica, which I wanted much more.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Diedne
I saw the advert? Was there more than one advert? And where is the game thread? On this forum or another one?

Last edited by Diedne; 02-20-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Oh, I just saw you were new. I posted on the ars magica forum and a few off-site gaming sections of some other PbP sites and a few fan discords. I figured you migrated from one of those.

No game threads up yet. I'm going to wait a bit for people to trickle in. I think I have access to the game forum on here so I could make threads at any time. But I'll let you guys know here when the game officially starts.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
I'm going to add a house rule so Bjornare add their Heartbeast score to their lab work. Can't do it right now, my phone doesn't deal with big posts well.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:05 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
Quote:
I'm going to add a house rule so Bjornare add their Heartbeast score to their lab work. Can't do it right now, my phone doesn't deal with big posts well.
Sounds like a reasonable thing. Bjornaer get some cool stuff, but they lose out on a ton to get it. I would presume that bonus applies to lab work relating to the Heartbeast in some way as opposed to just any random lab work, but I'll be able to read it when you post it.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
I don't really think it would be over powered for them to add it to everything, limiting it thematically by humor would probably fit theme well enough. They can already do it with sensory magic. A familiars MT would increase much faster than a magus's Heartbeast Ability.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
I'll include this in the house rules when I get to my desktop but this is my magical Mythic Companion hack.

http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34640
Old 02-25-2019, 01:37 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
So I'm seeing a lot of combat types as a result of the pitch. Fierro would not reasonably expect you to be able to match his combat ability so you do not need to make a fighter to apply. Any magus who is young enough to be pushed around a bit by politics (so anyone fitting the character creation guidelines) and talented enough to contribute to the tribunal overall (any character someone would actually build) could have been recriuted.

Not saying the fighty types are unwelcome. I just don't want people to feel forced into the role.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
You are aware of much more than I am. Can we get a vague idea of the magi involved? Anyone care to share? I only know of two.

As for my own, I've been doing some tinkering to get things to turn out as I want. I'm using Circe for Legacy, going for a sorceress from mythology over a Hermetic maga. I suspect I'll go with Arcane Lore and Affinity with Vim over Puissant Parma Magica and Affinity with Rego. It's looking like Vim is more an area of focus for high-level and frequent formulaic spells, and Arcane Lore front ends things a little more, which is helpful for Affinity with Vim over Affinity with Rego. I would still like to choose Puissant Parma Magica, but I'm afraid things might get so tight at the beginning that I'm dropping too much from apprenticeship.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
OK, I added the things I said I was going to add to the OP. New rules for House Bjornare. My hack for Magical Creatures. Another clarification on my magic resistance interpretations (you're welcome Gwythion). A pending player list. I haven't gone through my PM's again to see what else needs to be addressed to hit me again if I have been ignoring you.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:44 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Van Silke
Hey there, it's me, the guy who hasn't made an account up till now. So here's the application.

Character Name: Basil
Character House: Criamon
Birth Place: Varadinum (Oradea)
Parens' Tribunal: Transylvanian
Magical Specialty: Disruption, Metamagic, Vim
Character Areas of Interest: Self-improvement and returning on the path of Criamon

Virtues
The Gift, Hermetic Magus social status, The Enigma, Flawless Magic, Minor magical Focus (disrupting magic), Fast Caster, Puissant (Vim), Life Boost, Inventive Genius, Self-Confident, one open slot (not sure)

Flaws
Blatant Gift, Overconfident (major), Warped Magic (spells cause discomfort to onlookers), Social Handicap (simply unpleasant to be around), Reckless, Predictive Stigmata

Rough description..?

Basil appears to be a moderately tall, dark-haired individual of average height and frail build in a buttoned-up blue coat. His smooth, though ink-stained hands betray the lifestyle of scholarship, and his curious, shifty eyes make him appear like he's constantly looking around, as if he's plotting something. Hidden just underneath his collar lie tattoos that hint at his House of origin - for an unitiated, these sharp, chaotic markings make little sense, and almost appear to be slowly moving in a constant shift.
Despite his frail build, the magus walks with brash confidence, and speaking with him is akin to walking on gravel barefoot - he tends to mix his words, has trouble expressing his thoughts, and almost every exchange ends with a crude remark bordering on insults, call to competition, or both. If one gets over this abrasive demeanor, one will find that Basil is actually quite cooperative and does what he's asked for and more, although sometimes he's tempted to pull little pranks and disrupt the work of others.

When Basil works his magic, standing near him or being near one of his spells can become unnaturally uncomfortable - either a strong mental discomfort similar to the feeling of extreme awkwardness or humiliation, or a physical impression akin to bathing in fermented grease. The magic of others influenced by him likewise always comes out disgustingly crooked, as if affected by a small botch (although with minimal effect on the spell's functionality).

All throughout and after Basil's apprenticeship, his confrontational personality, constant pranks and disruptions had been slowly eating away at his colleagues' goodwill. His own Criamon master was known to compare the feeling of interacting with him to "probably what the mundanes feel when standing close to a magus".

Post-apprenticeship was quite stormy for Basil - although he performed research just as efficiently as any other magus, his activities outside of his lab were frequently transgressing Criamon's will. His contentious personality certainly didn't help, as well as tendency to let his mind meander between many philosophies of the world - including the philosophy of the house of Tytalus, and it fascinated him equally to the problem of the Enigma. During this time, his home covenant had been visited by wandering Titalites, and it so happens that one of them - Mendas - took the young maga's annoying remarks as a challenge, and the two engaged in a heated debate. The conflict escalated dangerously, and for a whole week of Mendas' visit they pulled numerous magical and mundane pranks on one another, usually related to proving another wrong in specific philosophical subjects they disputed, some of which might have bent (or broken) the Code. Eventually the two agreed on a non-lethal duel and - mostly with a dash of luck - Basil fought Mendas to a standstill, never attacking but turning the enemy's own spells against him. The rush of victory and Mendas acknowledging him as equal was likely the most gratifying experience Basil had, and so the two became friendly (or not so much) rivals since, both enjoying and hating one another's company all the same whenever they ran across one another. Their relationship didn't extend beyond that, however.

Indeed, Basil was close to completely shifting over to Tytalus, and his magical markings nearly disappeared. The atmosphere in the covenant grew increasingly hostile, since even with Mendas gone, the encounter enabled Basil to be even more chaotic than before. Only recently had his stigma returned, pacing around his body like a predator making rounds in a cage. In this time, the stigma turned more erratic and nearly escaped his body when Basil's inner struggle became apparent. While inspecting them, the magus interpreted his markings as foretelling of a catastrophe. The incident served as a wake-up call - Basil made a vow to improve his own self, become a better person and return to studying the Enigma (possibly while also trying to sneak in some of the Tytalus philosophy, believing the harmony and chaos to be the same forces that drive conflict). He gladly accepted the offer of the Tremere, hoping for a new home and a new start. In spite of making this personal vow, however, he's far from putting it to effect. Baby steps, as they say.

Last edited by Van Silke; 02-26-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
gwythion
Quote:
Another clarification on my magic resistance interpretations (you're welcome Gwythion).
Thanks! I can only assume you're encouraging me to choke someone out at the first opportunity - on it!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
You are the only one likely to physically smack someone with your talisman so it was worth a mention.

I use the smothering with a cloak thing because it is the most ridiculous thing that is actually kind of likely to come up.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Just an update. I am waiting for the admins to delete the spare copy of this game before I get things going, I have a lot of other things I'm working on too but that is my excuse for now.

I would like to see some more apps before we start but my overtures to other segments of the community haven't bore fruit yet. I'll run with the three of you that have completed apps, but I might have you draw up companions if we only have a party of 3. The bookish Magus my get ret-conned out so that the NPC's don't outnumber the PC's as heavily.