RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-01-2019, 09:28 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Diedne
Still here.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Ok, I can knock you from yellow to green if you flesh out who Beatrice is a bit more.

Also I'm ok with you starting one step into an inner mystery I'm not going to let you start two deep so no Glamour for now.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Diedne
Well, I wanted to build this character to experiment with glamour, so I won't play a version without it. I'll wait for a game for elder magi then. Thanks for considering me.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
I would like to see some more apps before we start but my overtures to other segments of the community haven't bore fruit yet. I'll run with the three of you that have completed apps, but I might have you draw up companions if we only have a party of 3. The bookish Magus my get ret-conned out so that the NPC's don't outnumber the PC's as heavily.
I'm fine if we start with 3. Valeria is going to be very competent in a whole bunch of ways.

Noting that we may not be able to easily exit the regio, even if others can enter it may be hard for us to make requests for particular others. So it might make lots of sense for the companions to enter with the magi. But I'm also fine with a bunch of grogs and just the three magi (plus NPC's).
Old 03-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
gwythion
One last significant rewrite done - same concept though.

I'm down for making strong companions too, if we can't find more magi. Maybe even a set of Mythic Companions?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Magician75
Hi guys. Hoping to join your game. Never played by post before - so might need some guidance. Played Ars Magica 3e ages ago and loved it. was going to play on a 5e saga but that fell apart. Thought about trying playing online and found your game through a Google search.

Haven’t thought of a character yet. Do i just post my “application” to this forum?

My account is new so can’t do PM yet.

Hope to hear back soon.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:27 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Yes, fill out the application stuff and we can work from there. We are gearing up to start pretty soon (I'm still getting some prep done) so we can work on the details pretty quickly after you have the basic framework.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician75 View Post
Hi guys. Hoping to join your game. Never played by post before - so might need some guidance. Played Ars Magica 3e ages ago and loved it. was going to play on a 5e saga but that fell apart.
Cool. Welcome.

You'll find a lot of things got cleaned up from 3rd to 4th to 5th editions. 5th is far more consistent overall, with most of the mechanics being decided well before any supplements came out. (E.g. They knew roughly how Mysteries would work already.) The consistency makes 5th edition much easier to learn, and if you already know 3rd edition, then you know most of it anyway.

There are still a few places they goofed, but not much. The biggest in my mind is with mundane Qualities. Animals should have been defined without Virtues; things would have been a lot easier when dealing with stuff like shapeshifting. And making these Qualities available for animals with Might would have been handy. Another is with certain issues around Magic Might and Transformation. Everything else runs really smoothly so long as certain loopholes are just not abused or are avoided with really simple house rules.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
Yes, fill out the application stuff and we can work from there. We are gearing up to start pretty soon (I'm still getting some prep done)
Are we close to being able to use the actual game rather than the recruitment thread?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
I'm trying to get the game threads actually presentable before I migrate everyone over there. I could hide them I suppose.

I'm also having a weird issue with my subscription settings. The game just won't go into the folder. Basically making it easier for me to just monitor one thread at a time right now.

It doesn't really matter in any case where pre-game chatter resides.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Magician75
Character Name: Raymond de Mirabel-aux-Baronnies
Character House: Flambeau
Birth Place: Mirabel (County of Toulouse)
Parens' Tribunal: Provence
Magical Specialty: Not sure (perdo maybe)
Character Areas of Interest: Adventure
Background:
Raymond is a member of family that are vassals to the counts of Toulouse. (assuming the saga is in ~1220) Raymond’s say Great-great-grandfather participated in the First Crusade. Subsequent family members participated on the Second. The family has fiefs in Toulouse and the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Raymond grew up in France. His father was a younger brother - and so had a support role. Early on - Raymond was on the path to become another minor noble. He went on campaign with his father and brothers in support of liege and family. But he was obviously different. (typical magical problems)

On one of these campaigns - allies of Raymonds family identified what was going on. One was Jean de Mont Alban - a Flambeau adventurer that took Raymond as apprentice.

Part of aprenticeship involved being on crusade in the Levant. During this time - Raymond started to well - maybe go a little crazy -believing God was directing him

Now, Raymond has answered the call to come to Transylvania.

VIRTUES:
The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Affinity Perdo (free), Flawless Magic (3), Skilled Parens (1), Study Bonus (1), Improved Characteristics (1), Fast Caster (1), Inventive Genius (1), Strong Willed (1)

FLAWS:
Weak Spontaneous Magic (3), Weird Magic (1), Favours (3), Pious (1), Delusion (directed by God) (1), Hunchback (1)

COMPANION: possible idea - mendicant friar, recruited as personal confessor - since we are now both wandering - but with other useful worldly skills.

Last edited by Magician75; 03-12-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Added virtues/flaws
Old 03-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
McLugh
Casper Sowa

Hi everyone, the 'new challenger' here. So I have experience with PbP but not with Ars Magica. I'v had the rules for quite some time but never had any opportunity to play. Currently have access to the core 5e book and HoH: Mystery Cults. Hoping to finally get to play here. That being said I already PM'd my initial concept to Sir Swindle to get some much needed feedback. I've made some changes, read up a bit on the Transylvania Tribunal on the Redcap fansite and am open to any feedback or tips from anyone if accepted into the game and as moving into character creation.

The general concept I had in mind actually focuses less on Animal and more on their habitat. A Magus who tends to the woodlands and sacred places of the world. So without further ado.

Character Name: Casper Sowa
Character House: House Bjornaer (Great Grey Owl)
Birth Place: Near Krakow
Parens' Tribunal: Novgorod
Magical Specialty: Plants
Character Areas of Interest: Plant Magic, Ancestor Lore

Background:

Casper was born into the region around Krakow in the kingdom of Poland. His father was a woodsman and Casper grew up being expected to know the woods and become skilled in hunting. As his Gift developed he was discovered by a Bjornaer magus at the age of 12 and his family was approached about apprenticeship. They knew of his parens reputation in the area and said goodbye to their son, for what they knew would be for good.

His master was of the Clan Arelie and part of a sept in the Novgorod area. After fully joining the house his heartshape revealed itself to be the wise great grey owl. Among his gifts which also developed was the second sight and visions.

While his parens was skilled and knowledgeable, he never had much opportunity to learn magic related to the ghosts who followed him everywhere. Instead he focused on learning about the wilds and woodlands. About the charge of caring for the ancestor's presence in this wild places.

After completion of his apprenticeship, he wanted to explore more of what the world had to offer. He traveled for a year, making his way south and visiting the wild places of the world. That is when he heard the offer of Coloniea and decided to commit to that journey.

Description:
Casper is of average build. His facial features are sharp and his eyes are brown with large golden ring around his iris. His hair is rather unkempt and he has a full beard that he keeps haphazardly trimmed to a few inches in length. His hair is peppered with gray despite his young age. As an owl he is a fine specimen of the species. Colored black, grey and white.

Virtues: Flexible Formulaic Magic (3), Inoffensive to Animal (1), Quiet Magic (2), Second Sight (1), Sharp Ears (1), Skilled Parens (1),
Subtle Magic (1)

Flaws: Deficient Form (Ignem) (1), Higher Purpose* (Protect ancestor sites and recover lost ancestor knowledge for the house) (1), Nocturnal* (1), Supernatural Nuisance** (3), Visions** (1), Weak Spontaneous Magic (3)
*Personality **Story
Old 03-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Good stuff.

Just so you guys know I'm still working on some things. I should have everything polished up pretty soon. Looks like we will have about 5 Magi now which is pretty good.

I'm still torn on companions. I suppose if you want to make one pitch it to me, we can lock the concept down for metagamey reasons and we can introduce them or stat them out at need.

I do plan on having a Mythic Companion of my own that will help the party more directly in addition to the Senior magi who will largely remain aloof and make sure you don't feel obligated to leave someone to tend the camp as you explore.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:27 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Magician75
Hi all. I updated profile with virtues and flaws. Sort of a Don Quixote type.

I am not totally happy with last virtue: Strong Willed. I was going to choose "Sense Holiness or Unholiness" - but wasn't sure if it is redundant since hermetic magic seems like it can reproduce. Thoughts?

Looking forward to this.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Magician75
Just making one more post to get rid of "new user" status.