RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 04:44 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7478
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Last of the Starfighters

Game NameLast of the Starfighters
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSpace Opera
FlavourAction, Adventure, Exploration
Plot Summary
Plot SummaryCharacters have unique set of skills that pull them into saving the Galaxy.

Your GM: I've been GMing/DMing games for over 25 years, and online play-by-post since 2001. I've RP'd in and GM'd several games ( a few on this site), and I'm also involved in many games as a player. .

# of Players: Accepting 5 players.

Rulebook: This game will be governed by the D&D 5E Hyperlanes recent release. This game will be ran using a homebrew setting.

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THIS HOMEBREW GAME!!! MUST READ!!!***

Starting Level: 3rd level

Time to Submit An Application: I'll keep this open until we have at least the number required or there is high interest.

Posting Schedule/Frequency: I try to maintain a decent posting rate, though usually 7 days is the maximum time I'll agree to go between GM posts that move things along. I reserve the right to post more often for flavor and for one or more players doing something apart from others. However, If the players all post on a quicker schedule, I'll post as soon as I can to keep up.

STORYLINE: Present Day. Whatever walk of life you come from, there's one thing that you are truly gifted at. You stand out. People all over the world know you by name - well, by your gamer tag anyway. You have become one of the best at a newly revamped game called 'The Last Starfighter'. Unlike the previous version from some 35 years ago, this one is played in a state of the art game capsule simulator linked live with other capsules. Some call it virtual reality on steroids. Whatever you call it, it takes a certain calm, cool, and collective manner and a sort of sixth sense in the game cockpit to be the best.
You are on a short list of the best of the best.

Today, you find yourself at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, TX. It's not only a gamers convention, but the world championships for 'The Last Starfighter' game experience. It's a shortlist of 20 people and even 5th place gets 10K in prize money. The winner gets not only 100K in prize money but sponsorship deals and a 1 year guaranteed job as a game tester with one of the top gaming companies.
Game on.

Your character can be from any walk of life you like, and have whatever motivation you desire to be involved in the tournament. That said, your character's personality must be one that will either have the want, desire, or need to join the fight for the galaxy once all that is revealed. This doesn't mean there won't be any hesitation, resistance, or doubts, just that they will join the fight.

APPLICATIONS: All Humans for Race. Technology at start is current with today's tech. Can be from anywhere on earth, but English has to be a language you are fluent in. We'll use the 27 point buy, with 4th level to start with the following caveat: Your character must be multiclassed with 3 levels of pilot, and one level of whatever you desire. This will allow the level one to represent your "other" job/lifestyle, or whatever.

Use this rough template to put forth your submission -

Character Name:
Sex:
Physical Description and Image if you please, but not necessary:
Personality:
Class:
Background:

What I'm Looking For

A team, of sorts. The new "game" you all love so much does start out with solo missions, but in the higher levels it has all of you working together. The "finals" would be a game of survival as a team with the winner being the one who not only survives to finish the mission, but has the most kills.

You can't be a "true" loner as you wouldn't have been chosen. You will have to be able to work well with others.
Note that the rules are just a guideline to keep your character 'in their lane', i.e., in our own little reality. And to keep the game from going off the rails. This will be and needs to be RP heavy.

Player Character Other Class Current Life Situation Application Status
delpinator Mazen, 20 yr old male Outlaw? Street Racer Accepted
Alemar Stacey Thorne, 23rd old Female Soldier Tough Army Brat, Works Odd jobs, Mostly Medical facilities Accepted
Starflier Kara Maitland, 26 yr old female Ambassador Food Server Accepted
Tyrus34 Victor Lohmuller (V1ct0riou5), 19 yr old Male Genius Student studying Programming/Gamer/Hacker Accepted

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 02-28-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Is there a place for the rules of hyperlanes or do we need to have the book?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 269
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
So everyone is the same race, with almost all their levels in the same class? That seems a bit restrictive.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:18 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
@delpinator - There's lots of places to sample it free if you just search for it. Or you can purchase it on drivethrurpg as well.

@Kaiya - Never seen the movie before? Following the same path as young Alex Rogan is a Human endeavor.
As stated, it's present day and there's no proof of aliens, or any intelligent life off earth.
Aliens are met along the way. And... to start with, all need to be pilots. If it weren't for the whole saving the galaxy thing and the hook of piloting a Gunstar, then class wouldn't matter. Need to start at 3rd level to face opposition waiting out there, and to be better than others on earth.
Players will have the option of staying at level 3 for pilot and advancing the other class chosen, or any mix thereof.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 645
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
This sounds like a super neat take on 5e. Throwing my interest into the ring.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1187
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
War Mother
right-aligned image

Character Name: War Mother, Kara Maitland
Sex: Female

Physical Description: Kara rarely appreciates any attention she receives and if she lived anywhere with people her own age she would likely receive a lot more of that kind of attention. A pretty young woman with an abundance of freckles that cover a face punctuated by sad eyes, and framed by short, black curls, Kara would most likely be described as melancholy by those who know her well enough to speak on it at all.

Personality: A pleasant, if quiet, young woman Kara was never meant to be a waitress in small town Kansas; ‘too smart’ and ‘too pretty’ to be slinging pies and coffee in such a place. Yet here she was alone, without dreams, ambitions, or plans, there was nowhere else she wanted to go; nothing else she wanted to do. In the pod is a different story altogether, where she becomes someone entirely different.

Cold and efficient, War Mother is a precision killer with an iron focus that Kara lacks in the ‘real world’; a focus she dearly needs. Despite her formidable skills and reputation, her unforgiving nature behind the controls has kept her isolated for much of her playing career. With the championship on the line and teamwork a necessity, Kara will need to temper her War Mother persona, and perhaps find an acceptable balance between the two.

Class: Ambassador?(1)/Pilot(Ace) 3

Background: Before she was War Mother, she was Kara Maitland, and even Kara can’t say entirely the why or how she ended up in Podunk, Kansas. Only 19 years old when she arrived in her battered Bronco with a past she wouldn’t talk about, Kara soon found a job working at the local diner and a place to live in a small apartment above the arcade next door. She made few friends, most people her age more than willing to leave such a town, and that suited her just fine. She came to know the regulars and her coworkers, but when her shift ended she was a veritable ghost.

Yet even those who have given up on a normal life need something to pass the time, and for Kara that happened to be games. The pod was an attempt to save the arcade she lived above, but with so few kids around that was unlikely to happen and Kara rarely had to share. Before long it was the only game she played, reveling in zero-g acrobatics and carnage, and the arcade owner gave her a spare key to the place so she could lockup when she was done. War Mother had almost no presence on message boards or forums for the game, but her name was always there on the high score lists. Whispered in near reverence as she saved the day in pickup games, or screamed in anguish when she smoked the high and mighty in pvp, War Mother was a name on the tongues of her peers.

Requesting time off to go to Houston for the championships was easy enough as she’d worked 6 days a week for almost 7 years and helped keep the diner open time-and-time again when anyone needed a shift covered. Kara was short of specifics, but everyone was just happy to see her excited about something.

The Song of the Day

Last edited by Starflier; 02-16-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added application.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Character Name: Mazen
Sex: male
Physical Description and Image if you please, but not necessary:
Standing at 5'6" he is a little tall for a racer though he makes up for it in grit. He is of average build brown hair and green eyes. He wears a leather jacket over simple clothes.
Personality:
Class: pilot 4
Background: merc
Mazen spent most of his life racing starting at 13 in down hill box racing then continuing street racing. His mother didn't have money to pay for his races so he took jobs were he could it started with simple jobs of running information though later turned to more violent activities. When the last Starfighter came out he waited to catch a copy on an old machine. When he did play he was good but attempted to keep this a secret until a letter came inviting him to the tournament.

Last edited by delpinator; 02-15-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Say what now?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2476
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
[Placeholder]!~

Will get it fleshed out today or tomorrow at the absolute latest.

"And then Gajine spoke."
Old 02-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 918
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Dammit Drachenspirit, I’m trying to cut down on my games right now! Oh, okay, I’ll think about a character concept, but that’s all I’m promising!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 400
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Seems interesting...but there are a few questions

#1 the core book doesn't really explain multi-classing very well, how do you want cross proficiency handled?
#2 are you allowing variant humans for access to extra feats?
#3 what type of video game is it? I know we are lev3 pilots, but I'd hate to build a character specializing in melee combat for boarding other ships/stations if all we're doing is dog-fighting simulations
#4 Gambits and tricks seem really confusing, especially with multi-classed spell slots...how heavily are we going to be relying on them?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:43 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemar View Post
Seems interesting...but there are a few questions

#1 the core book doesn't really explain multi-classing very well, how do you want cross proficiency handled?
My response: It only mentions them at the beginning of the Class section, but we will adhere to the original D&D 5E PHB, pg 163, for this and keep the same continuity.

Quote:
#2 are you allowing variant humans for access to extra feats?
My response: Yes, but again, we'll adhere to the original PHB rulings on Variant humans and "what you get and what you don't" if you go that route.

Quote:
#3 what type of video game is it? I know we are lev3 pilots, but I'd hate to build a character specializing in melee combat for boarding other ships/stations if all we're doing is dog-fighting simulations
My response: It's a high tech version of a flight simulator, and many of them are networked together in the same room for the championships. It can move in the complete 360 degree axis like those roller coaster VR games you can sit in as well. In "Arcades" that have these game/sims, you either play the AI computer, or network across the world with others playing. So, the simple answer is all characters are level 3 "MAX" pilot, and level 1 character of whatever you like, even "Muscle Class" for melee combat as you describe.

Quote:
#4 Gambits and tricks seem really confusing, especially with multi-classed spell slots...how heavily are we going to be relying on them?
My response: It took me a while to wrap my brain around them, but in the short game I was in that just died, I was getting the hang of using Gambits, Tricks, and Maneuvers. They can really affect a round and change things up. We won't heavily rely on them, but they do add depth and flavor to a character and how they can alter and affect the landscape - so to speak.

Overall - if something is not working for us or too cumbersome, we'll make a decision we can all live with to make things go smoother and game on.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 02-15-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 918
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Quote:
#3 what type of video game is it? I know we are lev3 pilots, but I'd hate to build a character specializing in melee combat for boarding other ships/stations if all we're doing is dog-fighting simulations.
In the movie that this concept is based on the main character doesn't spend very long playing video games. Take a look at the trailer.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 400
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
OK, I think I've got it sorted, but feel free to check it for corrections. I wasn't sure if you wanted us to type out a background or just choose one from chapter 4, I can modify the post if needed.

Character Name: Stacey Thorne

Sex: Female

Physical Description: An Auburn waterfall of curls cascade over Stacey's shoulders, kept pulled back from her face by a plastic Green headband. She is slightly heavier and taller than one might expect, though she fits her frame well. Slate coloured slacks and a faded Hoodie hide most of her body, and she completes her look with black Chuck Taylor High Tops.
Personality: Jovial and seemingly nonplussed, Stacey shows a confidence when playing or discussing her experiences with Last of the Starfighters.

Class: Soldier 1 / Pilot 3

Background: Stacey was an army brat, hopping from one base to another for most of her teenage years. This gave her a military mindset, and exposure to some of the more...horrific...sides of life. Showing a remarkable empathy, and aptitude for medicine, she was given tutelage in basic medical procedures, and asked to assist the nursing staff from time to time. Hearing of the buzz over this Starfighter reboot from some of the enlisted servicemen, Stacey eagerly joined some of them on their leave, and waited her turn to enter the machine. The sensory experience was addictive, and her mind seemed to open up to the new ways to play this simulation. As she spent more and more time in the arcades, she quickly began to surpass those around her, eventually earning a high score, and invitation to Texas.

Last edited by Alemar; 02-16-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1725
Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson
Well, Drachen...You running a game: Awesome. You running a homebrew game: Even more awesome.

I'm at capacity with 3 ongoing games right now, but I'm really interested. I'll have to figure out if an application is wise for me at this point. I hope it is, because this looks sweet.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3797
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
PLACEHOLDER

LoveHyperlanes. Sad I won’t be able to play an alien.
Still and all, I am super-interested and will put together an app shortly.

Last edited by rhaiber; 02-17-2019 at 07:12 PM.