RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17604
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
The Betrayal

Summary
*** CLOSED ***
Game Name
The Betrayal
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeBetrayal and intrigue
FlavourSuspense and High Adventure

Ten Years Ago TodayThe woman screamed again as he stood in the shadows, hurting his ears this time with the shrill intensity of her birth cries. On and on her screech persisted, rising in both pitch and volume until he thought for sure her voice would rupture from the effort. At last the cry abated and she was reduced to feeble mewling as she once more panted to extract what air she could from the incense-laden chamber. The sound of splashing water overtook her moans for a moment and Jahared braced himself for another onslaught. Again she screamed, thrashing this time as the voices around her rose to a crescendo as they intoned their fervent incantations. Their voices had become a constant murmuring drone in his aggravated ears and he could not wait for the ritual to be complete. He had half a mind to go in there and end her mewling struggle himself. He knew he would be killed instantly if he tried so he remained silent in his shadows, watching as the candle light danced against the black marble wall allowing the boredom to carry him at its whim.

She screamed again and this time he heard something tear as some fleshy part of her gave way at last and the torrent of her birth blood flowed into the thrashing water. The chants sped up and several deacons waded into the shallow pool to assist the birth mothers. Jahared, no longer able to help himself, peeked around the fat marble column. He saw the mother for the first time.

She was quite beautiful.

He knew he should turn away and return to his sentry duties but he could not tear his gaze away from her. Though she was soaked in sweat and blood and the waters of the birthing pool he saw that her beauty was as nearly perfect as he had heard the acolytes describe. Her long lush hair hung like moist fire from her milky brow and even pregnant Jahared felt the treacherous rise within him as he gazed upon her nakedness. She was so scared. He saw the little girl she once had been in the pregnant labouring mother who now lay dying in the birthing pool surrounded by the uncaring supplicants.

A single forlorn cry burst through the sudden quiet. A baby gasped the first of its living breaths and shuddered as it vented its release. Jahared saw the Deacon cut the cord with his ceremonial knife and watched in awe as the boy was raised high above his head as blood and birth waters dripped from him. He let out a second cry and seemed to reach weakly for his mother but the Deacon lowered him quickly and dropped him in one of the birth mothers' arms. The old woman wrapped the baby in a scarlet blanket and scurried away quickly and left the chamber.

"Noooo! My baby! Bring me my baby!!!"

The mother screamed and struggled to go after him but the Deacons held her fast. Suddenly, she screeched again and doubled over. One of the birth mothers looked to one of the Deacons and the man shrugged as he struggled to hold the mother.

She fought them.

Jahared found himself admiring the spirit in her heart as she gave all that she had in the defiance of her captors. She could not break free and Jahared felt something in himself give a little. He felt the urge to jump to her defense. To dispatch these fools and free this helpless woman who had so quickly won him over. He punched the cold unyielding pillar with his fist and fought the urge to put real power into the blow and thus strike this entire chamber down with his wrath and fury.

They began to push her down into the water. Her perfect face gulped and gasped until the Deacon who had shorn her baby from her arms placed his hand upon her face and pushed her under. She tried to flail, she tried to kick but she lacked the strength.

She was drowning.

Something happened then that stopped Jahared's blade. One of the birth mothers cried out her astonishment and pointed between the dying mother's legs.

"There's another one! Twins!"

The Deacons stopped drowning their struggling victim and pulled her head out of the waters. They lifted her hips and beheld there a second head breaching into this dark and deadly world. The mothers went to work and whispered words that were meant to soothe and coddle but the cold fire in the mother's eyes told Jahared just how much she hated them. There was work to be done and she meant to do it so she pushed. Again she screamed and at last the fruit of all her efforts lay outside her, cradled in the Deacon's arms as he worked to sever her from the life she had grown inside herself.

"It's a girl!" a birth mother said.

"Will they want to keep this one?" another asked the Deacon. A shrug was her only answer and he motioned for her to take the child away.

"No..." The mother moaned for her lost daughter as she was carried from her sight. "Please.."

Something inside Jahared snapped. He emerged fully from behind the pillar which until now had helped him contain himself. He would be contained no longer. He felt the font of power deep within himself twist and turn as he unleashed it and let it rise without. The dark flowing robes of his new appointment billowed as he stepped relentlessly towards the astonished birthers.

This was Jahared's first week as Overseer to the Emperor. He knew it would be his last. Three initiates had stood sentry in his company and as he defied his orders and sought to intervene, they emerged from their stations to challenge him.

"Jahared! Stop!"

Jahared reached for him with his hand and mind and made Mathias' head explode. He felt something flex within his mind as he willed for it to happen and marveled as the brains and blood flew through the air as if time were bending as he willed it. The other, Djakharis, had barely opened his mouth to speak when his jaw was ripped one way violently from his face while some force twisted it towards the other causing his neck to snap loudly as he collapsed.

Jahared took another step towards the mother and now turned his gaze to the third and final sentry. Farah he had liked. She had moved faster than the others and he saw her hands reaching for him when he felt her pull at him with her mental power. Jahared winced and raised his fists and brought them crashing together side by side as he placed his forearms as a shield between them. He heard her gasp and reached for her mind and pulled her forward off her feet with a swift tug at the air before himself. She stumbled on her face and sought to flip around to face him.

He crushed her head into the cold hard marble and winced at the gory mess her brains had made.

He turned towards the mother. The birth mothers were scrambling to escape but had not yet even managed to escape the water. Jahared froze when he saw the Deacon with his dagger plunging into the mother's heart. Rage frothed from the Overseer and he launched his will towards the Deacon's hand to stay it. To reverse it. He felt the fabric of the space around him bulge suddenly as he plied his will to bend it. He would reverse time! He would! Jahared raised his fists next to his face and flexed with every ounce of might he had.

Time slowed. The air felt thick and unyielding as he strained. He could not do it. Jahared let out his breath and time snapped back to speed and the Deacon drew the dagger and plunged it down a second time. The mothers scrambled out of the water screaming as they fled. He killed them. One by one their heads exploded as Jahared unburdened the full measure of his wrath upon them. The Deacon he kept for last.

The man ran at him with his knife. Jahared let him. When the man reached him and strove to plunge his blade within his chest, Jahared grasped his wrist and broke it. The man screamed. He enjoyed his screams. There were so many bones to break and so little time in which to do it. The Deacon did not die fast.

Jahared let the gore slip from his fingers as he walked the halls of Golgotha. He knew where they had brought the children and he meant to have them. He could not save their mother. For all the raw strength and power that was his to command he could not save her. He could save them and so he would. When he found them they were with the old mother who had first taken the boy. She held a knife in her hand and meant to use it on the boy perhaps to unman him. A flick of his finger sent the weapon flying. He killed her and took the children, wrapping them gently and with as much tenderness as his large hands could muster in the scarlet blankets they had been given. The girl reached for his lip as he worked to secure her and he marveled at the shock of ginger hair that wreathed her angelic face.

"I will call you Zoë." he whispered to her.

The boy giggled when he heard his sister's name and flailed his little arms towards him.

"And you will be Zacharias," he told the boy.

"I am not much, my little loves, but I am all you have. I will keep you safe."

Jahared fled the temple, fled the capital and disappeared into the world.

The BetrayalThe players will be members of a small group of adventurers who belong to a division known as Wanderlords. Wanderlords are a special branch of the Imperial military which act as adventurers, special messengers, or Scouts for the Empire. Although they are afforded a certain degree of freedom, they do report directly to an Overseer, a mysterious order of powerful individuals who have complete discretionary power of dispensing the Emperor's Justice. The players have been tasked to find Jahared, a rogue Overseer, and bring him to justice alive or dead, and return the twins to their rightful place with the emperor. This will be the jumping off point for the story but I expect the game to diverge from this beginning. I will be vying to incorporate elements from the characters' backgrounds into the game and there will be many opportunities for this game to go sandbox. I am looking for interesting characters with creative stories and backgrounds. I will not prioritize party diversity and will instead choose among the most interesting applications regardless of role in the party. Expected posting rate will be 1 or 2 per week.

Accepted SourcesNo Path of War. Most other Paizo Sources accepted. I will be using the Flaw rules from 3.5 Unearthed Arcana book p. 92.
ApplicationsApplications should follow a fairly standard format with, at minimum, the following info:

Name:
Race:
Class(es):
Intended Role: (Damage dealer? Skill monkey? Tank? Crafter? Blaster? Summoner? Debuffer? Buffer? Battlefield Controller?)
Physical Description:
Personality:
Background:
Alignment:

The format need not follow the above example but should be easy to read and contain at least that much information. I would ask that spoiler tags be used for lengthy descriptions. I am looking for good role players with interesting stories to tell.

Please leave a post with a link to your application once you feel it is ready for review.
Character Creation- Characters will be built using 25 point buy.
- Players may select any race listed under Pathfinder Races listed here. Only races from the Core, Featured, Uncommon or Other tables will be considered.
- Templates of CR+1 may be considered at the cost of a single class level on a case-by-case basis. No Advanced Templates will be allowed. I will only approve templates if I deem the concept to be exceedingly interesting to me so be creative if you want a template and sell it to me.
- Maximum starting stat with point buy is 18, before racial and level adjustments.
- Characters will start with 71,000 XP, using Fast Advancement, so will be level 10.
- Optimization level of the character can be high, but don't break the game. Use your judgement.
- Characters can have 2 Traits, 1 Drawback (granting a potential 3rd trait) and 2 Flaws3.5 book Unearthed Arcana p.92*
- Starting Gold will be standard WBL for 10th level characters (62,000gp), plus an additional 25,000 gp for a single item of your choice.
- Maximum Item Value: Characters should spend no more than half their total wealth on any single item. For a balanced approach, PCs that are built after 1st level should spend no more than 25% of their wealth on weapons, 25% on armor and protective devices, 25% on other magic items, 15% on disposable items like potions, scrolls, and wands, and 10% on ordinary gear and coins.
- We will be using Background Skill Rules.
- We will be using the Feat Tax rules fix.
- Max HP for every HD.

Please do not feel you have to create the character immediately.
PsionicsI will not be using DSP Psionics. If mind powers are of interest to you, I would direct you towards the Occult Classes they are bae.
Campaign SettingThis game will be taking place in my homebrew world of Origin. Click on Origin to find the game thread and other miscellaneous information about the setting (Game thread coming soon). It is a work in progress but I plan to flesh it out as I go. Main story points most characters would know about the world:

Regarding Homebrew

Q & A

*** CLOSED ***

Last edited by LeoByron; 03-08-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:51 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Applications so far

Last edited by LeoByron; 03-07-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Full Time Cat Mom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 542
Ucha Nekome Ucha Nekome Ucha Nekome Ucha Nekome Ucha Nekome Ucha Nekome
I think I've got an idea or two.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 521
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Before I go too ham on an application.... Goblins? Where do they fit in society? Just a slave race? Just bad choice for PC in general?

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; 02-17-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
Before I go too ham on an application.... Goblins? Where do they fit in society? Just a slave race? Just bad choice for PC in general?
Goblins, as well as their brethren the orcs, hobgoblins, Giants etc... exist in relatively low population levels in the empire. There are tribes of such in the north-eastern wilds of the empire and though some integrate human civilization, they tend to do so as slaves and freed slaves. As races which genuinely tend towards evil, they are not often trusted in society as whole. A PC character could be a Goblin, but they would have to be a slave or freed slave and their back story should reflect this. I am open to creative explanations for alternatives, however.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12041
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Interested, ideas percolating.. ..
Old 02-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1327
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Boi, reserve me a chair
Old 02-17-2019, 04:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1809
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=77687
Name: Jett Dragomir
Race: Dhampir
Class(es): 6th level Rogue/2nd level Shadowdancer/2nd level Ranger
Intended Role: (Damage dealer? Skill monkey? Tank? Crafter? Blaster? Summoner? Debuffer? Buffer? Battlefield Controller?)
Physical Description: He stands 6' tall even, medium build, athletic. He looks like a very handsome man that women admires and men like hang with. His skin has dark complexion, dark brown eyes with jet black hair just past his shoulders, at times has his hair in a ponytail. Dressed in all black, with a chain like shirt & vest and matching black pants designed for simplicity and mobility. High boots. Bow at his back and a sword sheathed at his left hip. A dagger sheathed at each thigh and at each side. He carries himself with confidence, he looks like he can handle anything in any situation, regardless if he actually can or not.
[IMG]
right-aligned image
[/IMG]
Personality: He carries himself well with confidence, gets along well with others, although he has trouble trusting them. Seems many are friendly for a price, plus he finds that her learns more when he stays quiet and by staying quiet, it makes it tough on others to gage him. He keeps himself guarded because of what he is, not many like or even trusts is kind, it makes him wonder if there is more of his kind than people think but they just keep quiet like he does. He doesn't get overly excited, staying calm through most situations. An even-tempered man, but do not cross him, for you will be marked. At the same time, once you have him for a friend, you got a friend for life. There is on occasion, that he must fight for control of his temper, with so many people see his kind as evil as treat him and such once they find what he is, he fights against his rage, knowing that to give in to it, the people win. He hates losing with a passion.

Background:

Alignment: CN

Last edited by Seekr34; 02-26-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 521
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Name: Straag the Hidden Blade // Senvras the Motley
Race: Goblin
Class Vigilante (Imperial Agent)
Intended Role: Spy//Assassin. Skill Monkey with Decent DPS and great battlefield control vs low fort save characters (spellcasters in particular)
Physical Description
Senvras
left-aligned image
Senvras: Physically unassuming, his body is thin and frail looking. While dexterous, his overly large head keeps him constantly off-balance. Dressed in a strange hodgepodge of ill-fitting attire, a small leather collar with a ring around his neck so his owner can leash him when necessary.
Straag
right-aligned image
Straag: Lean, with a wiry strength, tendons stand out like cables in a ships rigging. His gait is slow and deliberate, each footfall carefully measured. Until it is time to strike, it is then that the stealth assassin moves across the battlefield in a blur, tumbling across enemies and climbing the walls with equal velocity. Dressed ideally for nighttime excursions, Straag prefers dark greys and greens to better blend with his surroundings.

Personality:

Background:

Alignment:
SenvrasSenvras: True Neutral, a jokester and trickster first, the performer known as Senvras holds concepts like good, evil, lawful, and chaotic as masks to put on whenever the joke or story requires it.
StraagStraag: Lawful Neutral, in service to a higher calling, Straag is the embodiment of Imperial Justice. He feels no joy or pity, only a duty to a cause and an organization that has raised and nurtured him from an early age.

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; 02-28-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9519
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Gunpowder level/gunslingers allowed?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymconeshot View Post
Gunpowder level/gunslingers allowed?

I previously banned them. Gunpowder can exist but is in very early stages and their use is not widespread at all. You'll need to include details in your story how your character gained access to the tech.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9519
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Thanks. And a final question as I am just kicking ideas around. Would you be willing to change Arcane Archer to apply to muskets/rifles?
Old 02-17-2019, 08:38 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymconeshot View Post
Thanks. And a final question as I am just kicking ideas around. Would you be willing to change Arcane Archer to apply to muskets/rifles?
I would place Firearms at the Very Rare category. Normally this would preclude the existence of Gunslingers but I would make an exception for a pc with a very good backstory explaining this phenomenon.

I would allow an Arcane Archer to use two-handed firearms exclusively, and only from the Early category.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12041
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
A general question on the empire are they roughly considered good and fair?

Is there a state religion? Normal pantheon?

The Wanderlords, same type of feel are they more good than evil or the other way around?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness View Post
A general question on the empire are they roughly considered good and fair?
Mechanically, I would characterize the empire as a whole to be dominantly Lawful-Neutral. There is a tremendous amount of mystery surrounding Emperor Kaine himself, however, and rumours are increasing that something nefarious is afoot in his government.

You can find more information about Origin and its empire here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness
Is there a state religion? Normal pantheon?
There is no official state religion, although the most commonly worshiped deity is Gaia, followed closely by Pelor/Jove (Many refer to Pelor as Jove but they are one and the same)

You can find a list of acceptable deities here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness
The Wanderlords, same type of feel are they more good than evil or the other way around?
The Wanderlords are generally viewed in the same light as the military in general: With respect and a healthy amount of fear in deference to their affiliation to the powerful military institution they represent. As with the Emperor himself, however, there is increasing suspicion and dissent occurring which is reflecting on all members of the military, although, for the moment, these negative feelings are shared only in whispers.