RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-20-2019, 01:45 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17517
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
I have a few questions pertaining to my character above which is.. well to put it simply, he's a clockwork man.

1st) Do I take an adjustment to Level if the CR of the Template is a +0?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50
2nd) Can the idea of Clockwork be possible? I realize it's usually associated with era's after the introduction of the first gun (which you said was to be SUPER rare) but could Pino and his creations be slightly unique. I'm not looking to create Steam Punk levels of spy gear or anything but would it be possible to explain Pino's 'inventions/augmentations' (ie. Craft Wondrous Items/Discoveries) as a combination of fine gear work along with magic. For example, a Traveler's Any Tool would look like it's made of tons of interconnected gears and some Discoveries (like Tumor Familiar and Wings) are explained as clockwork augmentations Pino has added to himself rather then the normal genetic/chemical manipulation of a typical Alchemist.
Magical Clockwork is fine.

Quote:
3rd) If a person does not need rest or need minimum rest (say from a Ring of Sustenance) and could transport crafting materials with him, would they be able to 'adventure' normally but then do a full day of Crafting when other party members are asleep (ie. use the 8 hrs. they normally would be sleeping to create items)?
I would refer to the Magic Item creations rules which state the following pertaining to crafting magic items:

"If the caster is out adventuring, he can devote 4 hours each day to item creation, although he nets only 2 hours’ worth of work. This time is not spent in one continuous period, but rather during lunch, morning preparation, and during watches at night. If time is dedicated to creation, it must be spent in uninterrupted 4-hour blocks. This work is generally done in a controlled environment, where distractions are at a minimum, such as a laboratory or shrine. Work that is performed in a distracting or dangerous environment nets only half the amount of progress (just as with the adventuring caster)."

So you could craft while adventuring, but the lack of an ideal environment would halve your productivity. If you don't sleep as much you would have more extra time per day to devote, however.

Quote:
4th)Would Magic item creation be limited to what is already stated in the books or can we use the Creation Guidelines to create new, unique items provided we show the outline and cost analysis presented in the books?
I am open to custom magic item creation but each item must be approved beforehand. Note that since character creation is not expected before acceptance to the game, I am not likely to devote much time approving items before player selection is complete

Quote:
5th)If Cooperative Crafting allows double the progress to be made in a day with Crafting, could two Cooperative Crafting (from two separate people) allow the progress to be x3?
No. For the sake of simplicity, I will adhere to cooperative crafting to be limited to only 2 participants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller 50
I'd also like to ask your opinion about which of these abilities sounds more interesting for the Clockwork Man.

The ability to remove and reattach his head safely all day but only if he does so himself.
OR
The ability to make one of his ears into a flying Construct ear he can hear though for 40 min; twice a day.
Removing the head sounds like it should kill the clockwork man regardless of who removes it since he is not particularly resistant to criticals and precision damage. So the ear sounds more interesting? Kind of funny though.

Last edited by LeoByron; 02-20-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 AM
I win with JJCP.~

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 688
CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe
So, this is sort of a concept that I've kept with me and lightly brought up a couple times (I'm very intermittent, but trying to return properly here)

There's something that I kind of want to introduce in tandem with a functioning character, and that's basically a cursed construct that takes the functional capacity of its target and uses them to interact with the world. Something as simple as a teddy bear with a dominate person spell for instance would be what I'm aiming for here. It also gets into an argument of what or who exactly is the character, so simply put it's both, and neither. Could I make something like this?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:28 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4492
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Quote:
Removing the head sounds like it should kill the clockwork man regardless of who removes it since he is not particularly resistant to criticals and precision damage. So the ear sounds more interesting? Kind of funny though.
The Head removal thing and the ear spy are both possible through formulas as an alchemist. I will admit though, after a sleep, the ear thing makes a little more sense for Pino. Sequestered as he has been, finding a way to learn of the world outside the lab, even if for limited periods of time, seems more like him then wanting to remove his head to gain DR and Blindsense.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpZeWolVe View Post
So, this is sort of a concept that I've kept with me and lightly brought up a couple times (I'm very intermittent, but trying to return properly here)

There's something that I kind of want to introduce in tandem with a functioning character, and that's basically a cursed construct that takes the functional capacity of its target and uses them to interact with the world. Something as simple as a teddy bear with a dominate person spell for instance would be what I'm aiming for here. It also gets into an argument of what or who exactly is the character, so simply put it's both, and neither. Could I make something like this?
I would need more information about how you would hope to accomplish this.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
I received a question via PM that I thought I would share here. It has also been added to the Q&A section of the advert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadesoul
Hello LeoByron,

Was working on drawing up the full character app / sheet, had a question - my character will be taking the Nobility feat. That increase in wealth, should I consider that negligible? Would it be starting with 3,000 more (wealth equivalent of what a 1st level taking it would gain), or consider the wealth to scale with our CL 10, which would result in closer to 40,000 more? Just trying to get things in order, and given the multitiered nature of,the question thought it best to PM.

All the best,
Shadesoul
At 10th level, the nobility Feat would advance your wealth from 62,000 gp to 108,000 gp. I would say that is not negligible.

Note that this Feat does not change the extra amount of 25,000 gp you receive for a single item.

I'd like to emphasize that you do not need to complete the full character sheet at this time.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:41 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4901
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
@corpse: So you basically want to be an intelligent item with character levels? So, really, all you would need to do is build a character and work with LEO on what your ego would be. I would also thing that being an item you would have no racial bonuses, thus your ego would be the replacement of racial bonuses. Everything else should just function like a magic item with intelligence.

Last edited by Unforgiven; 02-20-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:37 AM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4492
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Quote:
I'd like to emphasize that you do not need to complete the full character sheet at this time.
Ah! But creating the character's stats can help you realize more interesting things about your character. Initially Pino was just a starry eyed artist but the more I go into the abilities he will have the more I realize he'll still be that but that he's also very lonely, regularly 'inventing' new friends for himself but still missing that spark of true friendship he had with Emilly. Sure, one of the Wonderlords he might be joining could be a friend to him but Pino want's even more friends to fill that doubt in his heart.

He also seems to be trying to improve upon his father's initial design, transforming his body through the use of Discoveries ("Augmentations" like extra arms or Wings) and Extracts ("Oils"). This hints towards a need to prove himself to be as good, if not better, then his 'father'; something which I didn't think about initially but which fit into place as I began creating him. Even his spells/extracts began to take on a hint of someone wishing to experience more about the world as I could totally see Earsend being created by him so he could send an ear out to hear people talk on the 'outside'. Even Skinsend seems like something he might have developed to 'escape' and explore the outside when no one was looking.

I also started thinking about how Pino would probably be a bit of a pacifist, not only wishing to avoid fights because of past experiences that would make him scared to fight people, at least directly, but also a wish to not harm people as a principal. The Bomb ability didn't really work for that but then I found a Grease Bomb Discovery and it all started to fit into place along with his Flaws which show his hesitance to fight people up close.

What I'm trying to say is that the process of character creation can sometimes reveal things about our characters that even we as the creator didn't expect and can make them all the more deep because of it.

Even if you don't need us to have a character finished it's still useful to do to really understand their limitations and capabilities. If we don't get chosen? That's fine, half the fun of a character is in the creation.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:51 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
I can respect your process and if for you that involves delving into the details of the mechanics than by all means have at it. I like to stress the fact that I do not require the sheet to avoid disappointment if someone puts in all that work and ultimately is not invited to the game. Level 10 characters require a lot of work to build and just writing these stories for them is a lot of work. I assume many people recycle old characters but I still want to respect the effort required to apply to these games.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:10 AM
I win with JJCP.~

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 688
CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe CorpZeWolVe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
@corpse: So you basically want to be an intelligent item with character levels? So, really, all you would need to do is build a character and work with LEO on what your ego would be. I would also thing that being an item you would have no racial bonuses, thus your ego would be the replacement of racial bonuses. Everything else should just function like a magic item with intelligence.
Thanks for this.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:12 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
@leobyron: I do the same thing, I have found it is much better(for me) to build my character mechanically, which brings out all kinds of quirks and personality that would have been wasted had I built the character first then did the mechanics. For example, I have just recently finished my sorcerer, but I rebuilt him 3 times as I sifted through things, and have since begun to really get into his character. He has very...very.. bad luck, lol. It will tie into his name when it is all said and done.

@corpse: NP, I just read your request and immediately thought of how intelligent items work. Someone picks you up, you take over their body, then do whatever you want. They do get a new save daily though, so keep that stuff in mind.

Last edited by Unforgiven; 02-21-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1809
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
I used to wait until I got picked to do my sheet unless the dm ask ahead of time. Later on, I realized I learn more about my character if I did his sheet from the start. With level, there is more work but for this character, well, twice now he was reworked, levels off by just a couple. Didn't make the cut both times. This time, only had to add a level, plus had more to buy. So wasn't too much for me to do. Hopefully, a 3rd time a charm.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:44 AM
All the world's a Stage..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5339
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Absolutely. I must have a good understanding of how I plan to play the character's mechanics before I can in fact start the character's history and personality, for many reasons already stated. Along with thorough read-throughs of the GM's setting.

I simply can't recycle characters either-- because every character I envision is designed specifically for the GM's particular game and setting.

A little about me, HA! Thanks for reading.

App WiP

Last edited by WhiteStag; 02-21-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:48 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
I recycle characters sometimes, but I have to do a rebuild on them to an extent to customize them for each dungeon.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1809
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
yeah, the major rebuild is usually the background, because of what world it takes place and the type of adventures.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:34 PM
The Bird of the Hermes

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 362
Shadesoul Shadesoul Shadesoul Shadesoul
Ready for Review! If I keep thinking this over, I will end up writing a book about this character haha! So I will submit him so I no longer feel the urge to continue, for a little bit, at least