RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17517
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
GotN started September 04 2017 and is still going, albeit with a reduced number of players.

I have been DMing my games in Origin since the summer of 2000, though most of my games were tabletop.

Last edited by LeoByron; 02-24-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22021
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Will finish my app this week, the weekend has been spent on a small rpg con here in Iceland so I wasn't able to finish what I planned, but I got to try out two new rpg systems to play and loved them both, so that's always a plus!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7723
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
Loved his Githyanki games, they just died too fast
Old 02-24-2019, 01:28 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Games die in pbp. I hope to produce a modicum of quality and see where it goes. GotN is still going. I think I know how to pick players a bit better now, too.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:40 PM
All the world's a Stage..

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5339
WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag WhiteStag
Old 02-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Old 02-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
Excellent! Will figure out sometime to apply.

Will the PCs be aware of the original cut acene?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:47 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghnuis View Post
Excellent! Will figure out sometime to apply.

Will the PCs be aware of the original cut scene?
Not prior to the start of the game.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Maghnuis; 02-24-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
It has come to my attention that something may not have been asclear as I had hoped.

The scene described in this advert is not one whose details are known to the characters before the start of the game. Though the scene is integral to the action that is coming, none of what is portrayed should be known by the characters.

How much, if anything, will be revealed remains to be seen. It may be important to reveal that the events in this scene took place ten years before the action in this game will begin.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1809
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
ahh..ok, so the twins would be 10 years old now. Gotcha!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:18 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4492
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Quote:
I think tumor creature would be difficult to work if it is organic, how does a clockwork keep it alive? Tumor creatures are symbiote and need a living host if I remember right. I think something like am artificial womb may be a bit too far beyond the tech of this world.
It wouldn't be so much a 'womb' as a vat with magical alchemical fluids; at least that's how I'd explain it if the fleshy route was chosen. The clockwork within clockwork would make more sense but that would require Leo to allow the familiar to take a template to make it a construct, something which normally isn't a part of the rules.

If I were to read the rules 'as written' the Tumor Familiar would be a normal flesh and blood version which has no limitations requiring it's 'host' to be 'alive' as such. Yes the familiar is stated to be a tumor but it has no limitation that undead or construct alchemists could not take it. Now we all know that rules 'as written' don't always make sense narratively but I'm trying to make the best sense out of the situation which, if a template can't be added, needs me to explain how a 'living' familiar could merge with a 'non-living' construct. The idea of the magical vat of alchemical goo is my best way to deal with that.

Quote:
Did I miss anyone? Please let me know if I did not include your application in the Applicants' Table.
I'm still working on small details like the various familiars/constructs Pino will have following him but Pino himself is mostly done; unless you have some suggestions for him.

I do kind of need to figure out if Bevel the Tumor Familiar needs to be fleshy or if he can take a template to make him clockwork like Pino. By the rules he'd need to be fleshy but as Unforgiven pointed out, clockwork within Clockwork would be easier to explain, at least narratively. I would like your opinion on this LeoByron; unless Pino just isn't the kind of character your looking for in which case I shall let the subject die and wish the rest the best of luck being chosen.

Last edited by taleteller50; 02-24-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4901
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Actually, if you have improved familiar you can pick clockwork animal at lvl 7
Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleteller50 View Post
So.. One of the Discoveries Pino is taking is Tumor Familiar which provides him a familiar that can exist within his body. Now initially I was thinking of asking to be permitted to make this familiar a Construct Animal, adjusting the Familiar's 'Level' by the Templates CR. This was to make it so that the Tumor Familiar actually merged with Pino's own Clockwork body similar to how a normal Tumor Familiar would with a normal character.

Then I stated thinking of how it might work with a normal fleshy familiar. I started imagining some kind of alchemical growth tank inside Pino's stomach which would hold the familiar and be where it was originally made/grown. Now this option is obviously a little more 'horrific' and 'ewww' then the clockwork version but even that could be interesting.

So, unsure which way I should go, I put it to our GM and other players. Which type do you believe would be more interesting and why? In either case the entire experiment will have started because Pino was trying to understand the process of child birth so that won't change but will he have tried to have 'built' a construct within his own body or would he have 'grown' a living creature in there instead?

Opinions?
I don't have much of an opinion about this, really. Since there is no restriction on the ability in terms of whether or not it can apply to undead, constructs, etc, you can simply take the familiar and have it look and be however you like. It would remain mechanically identical but would look how you describe it. No need for a template or anything like that and since it is magical, the fact that it is "mechanical" is really merely a trope since it is still magic and not technology per se.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 PM
I await a great tale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4492
taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50 taleteller50
Unforgiven: True but Pino already has a Clockwork one thru the Tinkerer Archtype and I already kind of spent all of Pino's Feats.

LeoByron: I think I'll leave it as a fleshy one. It wouldn't make sense that something made out of clockwork would need to make Fort saves and without a template the Tumor Familiar would be mechanically no different then a normal, 'fleshy' familiar. Seeing as Pino, his other familiar, and other creations (all magical clockwork) would not have this weakness but the Tumor would (even if he looked mechanical) it's probably best to leave the goo vat idea in place.

Of course most people probably don't know about Pino's 'little bundle of joy' just yet so that can be an interesting, if ' ewwey', surprise for in character. This also can be used a hook for some interesting conversations about what Pino identifies as. I always thought of him as 'male' but his 'child' might confuse that a little. Of course it's not a real child but Pino might still identify it as such; even if it's only a hairless Racoon.

It could even become more interesting later if I take Improved Familiar after a level or two and rather then take a Clockwork one the Tumor instead 'evolves' into a homunculus. Considering they 'look' human and have wings (Which Pino has already added to himself) it would be kind of like a mini, fleshy version of the character. What to do, what to do?

Last edited by taleteller50; 02-24-2019 at 11:37 PM.