RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 642
Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu
The Erudite ExarchName: Deneir
left-aligned image

Race and Class: Human Wizard. Deneir was born as a youngish (late 20s) male that wouldn't look out of place in the libraries of candlekeep or waterdeep, his knowledge and writing lends itself to the wizardly arts like nothing else. The longer lived races don't care about the written word anywhere near as much as the humans do; to them it's a useful tool for a letter or maybe a place to store information and beauty for another day at best. To humans the written word is EVERYTHING: it's the only connection a young woman has to her great grandmother that died decades before her birth writing of the exact same fears and excitements before her wedding night that the young woman feels now, it's the history of a human kingdom long dead that has filtered down to a modern day scholar in scraps of vellum saved from a temple's pile for scrapping and re-use and books quoting books long since destroyed in fire, it's a dirty limerick hastily scratched in a tavern outhouse wall, it's an almanac telling a farmer the best time to sew his seeds, and it's longing love letter delivered over a thousand miles to a lover already dead with a dagger in her breast. No one loves the written word likes humans, no one loves the god Deneir like humans, it only makes sense that he would be "born" into a human body.

Trait: 1) Deneir claims to have read every important book, scroll and outhouse scratching to have ever existed in this plane or any other and considering his nature that would be believable if it wasn't for the fact that he sometimes fails to recall so much as the title of the most popular novel of the day or what rhymes with Nantucket.
2) The Scribe God adores both mystery stories and mysteries to the point where it sometimes consumes all his thoughts and now that he is mortal once again it is possible for him to not know the answer from the instant he hears the mystery so it's likely that he will love them even more.

Bond: Deneir is working on a series of books regarding the lives of mortals

Ideal: The gathering of knowledge is not only a self-evident good; it leads to illumination, a chance to share knowledge with the ignorant and above all else can foster new ideas.

Flaw: 1)Deneir has a tendency to forget his surroundings and safety when there is new (at least for him) knowledge in the offing which is what has put him in this mess and is likely to put him in many more when he stops to ask a troll how it regenerates or a night hag what she sees through that one eye.
2) Now, if you were to tell Deneir a secret he would swear upon his life to never tell a soul living or dead and by the gods he honestly means it... the problem is that when he is writing a story or a treatise and that secret would be interesting or help make a point it just seems to slip its way onto the page. There's no malice or even intent behind it but well... secrets aren't as important as a good story right?

Personality: Deneir comes across on the surface as an insufferable know-it-all that doesn't care about anything about his books and mysteries who would gladly sell his own grandma down the street for a secret. This isn't exactly true: he loves his grandma... he also wouldn't deliberately hurt anyone in his pursuit of knowledge but the guilt for an accidental betrayal of an acquaintance soon fades in the light of any knowledge gleaned. He also doesn't tell everyone how much he knows out of some vain attempt at showing how smart he is (he doesn't care what people think of his intelligence); it's all in service of showing people the light, lifting them from ignorance, knowledge isn't to be hoarded like some dragon and kept in a musty cave of a mind.

Appearance: Deneir is a dark haired, light skinned human that appears to be of Tethyrian ancestry. His body is light on size and muscle and it seems his uncalloused hands are permanently stained with splotches of ink

Secret: Deneir, unlike the other gods isn't saddened by his exile, he has been thinking of a new great work and this first person study of the mortal realm will make a great series of books. Of course the circumstances surrounding the fall and the evil the gods that engineered it may get up to as a result is immensely important but... if one was to find some insights for a great work in the process of setting everything right and protecting the world from evil would that be so horrible? What if these books lead to greater goods (as books are wont to do), where then should ones priorities lie?

Secret #2: Oghma isn't truly concerned by his right hand being exiled, the way Oghma sees it is that if Deneir dies during his exile it would be a sad turn of events but the new ideas thrown up by the god of writing and by those who rush to fill his place would be well and truly interesting. If Deneir were to survive the experience... well the ideas created there would easily out weigh any hardships the young god went through. Deneir cares deeply about his mentor and believes this feeling to be reciprocated (and it is) but he misjudges how much Oghma cares about the creation of new ides

People: Oghma is Deneir's patron, he was the one who lifted him to godhood afterall and they have spent eons working side by side: the creation of the idea, the writing of the idea, the reading of the idea, the creation of the new idea in a neverending cycle as ideas are forgotten and recreated across millennia. Deneir looks upon the God of Knowledge like a father figure, wishes for his gruff approval of the ideas pouring out from his ink stained hands onto the vellum that is the metatext. Oghma for his part isn't uncaring, he does love Deneir in his own way but... what use is saying or even thinking such things? What ideas are born from useless words of praise or affection?

Milil is a peer, obsessed with they beauty rather than the function of new ideas are created and then recorded. Many long nights over the Deific version of hot cocoa have been spent rehashing the same argument of what is more important: form or function. The Writing God couldn't bare to tell anyone the silent, innocent crush he has on The Poet, it's silly and doesn't serve any purpose but to make him sigh over the great works of romantic fiction he sees written every century.

As for mortals Deneir has blessed the hand of many a scribe but his personal interactions are few.
He has had some interaction with Opanrael, senior sage of Mantor's library in Phlan in order to help rebuild such a great repository of knowledge. Opanrael came to his attention at first when the sage cursed in Deneir's name with such vitriol whilst trying to recreate and transcribe a charred and faded scroll containing scraps of information referencing references to the first Netherese Empire. It was mostly in dreams he would speak with the sage as humans tend to forget who gave them the idea but keep the idea that way. Deneir didn't want anyone yelling about his help... the priests of his damnable church were lazy enough as it was about creating new works without finding out he was helping save old ones.

He has favoured Koja the historian and high priest of all the Tuigan peoples despite her being illiterate (though far from uneducated) when they first started to interact. It was in fact Deneir himself in the dreams of a young Tuigan who fist convinced Koja of the need to create written works of all their (up until then) completely oral histories and laws. Over many years Deneir returned as she grew in both age and power within the Tuigan heirachy. The difference between Koja and Opanrael is that Koja remembers her dreams in full and is even able to have conversations... Koja is probably the only mortal friend Deneir has had since his deification.

Everyone KNOWS that Volo is blessed by Tymora... that lady luck is the reason he has survived so long and that is of course true but she is not the only god that dispenses favour about the world's most famous author and traveller. Deneir loves him with a passion but has made no effort to ever contact him... he might inadvertently ruin his authorship.

Backstory: Upon the finding of a "great work" called the Necromancer's cookbook many called for its destruction including gods much more powerful than even Deneir's patron Oghma but Deneir was steadfast in the fact that destruction of any knowledge was an evil greater than any contained within the book. Due to his long efforts and arguments he was able to reach a compromise in which the book was rewritten, the copy locked in its own demiplane out of the reach of even Deneir whilst the original was destroyed. This way the information was kept safe whilst the power and evil it risked was (hopefully forever) nullified.

Bonus Background: Writing the stories of the gods become mortal

RP Sample: Deneir, usually the picture of pacifism slams his fist against the oak stump between him and the lord of lycanthropes "Millions of pages lost to flames, great minds consumed not to fill bellies but to please you. This is too much Malar, you dare too much in destroying knowledge for the sake of one of your "hunts"
"It was not my goal" Malar shrugs "if they were supposed to survive they would have done so rather than cowered or shielded pointless paper with their weak bodies"
Deneir's voice escapes as a hiss "and the burning?"
Again the beastlord shrugs his shoulders "The village needed the warmth to get through the winter and it was the best option"
Lacking the will or the ability to take out his true rage at not only the act but the nonchalance behind it Deneir spins on his heel... this is not over

Player goals for this campaign: I am looking to enjoy exploring the mind of someone running for their life whilst busily writing the whole thing down for posterity. Trying to balance the NEED for knowledge with the altruism will be a fun character challenge. I'm also looking forward to how the character advances in society once he has gotten past the original "survive" period: he isn't one for temples but trying to break ground on a new library or university would be great

Last edited by Allu; 03-01-2019 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I was wondering if I could ask for any feedback on my character application and if you have anything that needs to be worked on/clarified.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:13 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 897
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
First Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysUntold View Post
This looks like a blast. I'm going to try to throw an app together tomorrow. When is the deadline for apps?
Here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinguaManiac View Post
I am closing applications: 0:00 March 4 GMT, 2019. Acceptances will be over PM by March 6th. When everyone’s been notified, I’ll post in the thread.

Second Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamiac View Post
How do backgrounds skills work? IE, if I'm playing Liera, then might I declare I'm taking the charlatan background, granting me Deception and Sleight of hand
I was about to point you to the application thread, going 'I said it right there. Except... it turns out I didn't. I meant to include it, but i didn't. Thanks for pointing that out.

For Everyone:
I've updated the ad now to reflect what 'Background' you will all have, but in short you will each have the same background: "God". The basics are this -- it gives you some skill and tool proficiencies associated with your Domain, a language proficiency, and a Feature that heightens one of your senses and gives you a ready source of succor with those who once prayed to you.

Third Question
Quote:
If we play a cleric, who are we a cleric of? Ourselves? Or are we a cleric of another god, thus making ourselves subservient to them?
This is a good question. I'm not going to give you an exact answer, because I'm still thinking if I want to include that mystery as a stepping-stone of the greater mystery. Assume that you are 1) not praying to anyone, 2) getting spells just fine, and 3) have a domain you could grant your worshipers.

Fourth Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allu View Post
I was wondering if I could ask for any feedback on my character application and if you have anything that needs to be worked on/clarified.
Happily. I fear it’ll be out tomorrow, though.

I have taken the Oath
Old 02-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3473
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Would you allow an Aasimar? I think they're from Volo's book of monsters, which I believe is the same as the information here.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7093
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Torm Application
right-aligned image
Torm

Name: Torm
Race and Class: A half-elven Swashbucker (rogue). While it may widely be accepted that Torm came from the humans of Faerun, his mission to forever be the balance between justice and mercy, the mid-way point of his other triad members, the struggles could be compared to the dual-nature of half-elves, who are constantly seeking to understand where in society they belong, and how they shall forge their futures. Torm’s natural leadership comes through his skills, his charismatic bold approach and ability to read the field of battle is what endeared him to fellow gods such as Bahamut and the Red Knight.
Background: God
Trait:
1) There is a time for battle, for when justice is required and mercy must be revived, but after the battles is the time for reconciliation, understanding, and diplomacy; today’s foe may become tomorrow’s ally, so respect must always be observed.
2) So many images of war, fighting, horrible and devastating powers at work, impossibly large arenas of war: they haunt my dreams, and I have no idea how anyone can have the power to face it all.

Bond: Through a person’s own power, however small or large, they can make the future just a little brighter despite all adversity.

Ideal: Duty exists because of individuals who are courageous enough to act in interests larger than their own; Loyalty should be earned or granted by virtue of just acts and minds; Obedience is not domination, it is an agreement that safety will exist should we treat each other benevolently and mercifully.

Flaw: 1) Duty, Loyalty, and Obedience can serve the greater good, but there always has to be someone watching the watchman to make sure the law does not become subservient to personal gain and power… but it is difficult for Torm to not recognize the reality or truth in this sliver of doubt that must always exist. It can serve as a weakness to him if he allows it, casting doubt on everything… or perhaps his greatest strength if he can come to acknowledge it. However, being a leader of men and gods can leave one a touch… arrogant in their beliefs.
2) The measure of a person comes through understanding all aspects of themselves. It can be difficult for Torm to recognize anything redeeming in those who follow his enemies. He can understand coercion, and be merciful to desperation, but to willingly follow Bane, Cyric, or Shay? It’s difficult for Torm to find understanding or mercy for these individuals.

Personality: Maintaining a wide-scope of the entirety of a battle, whether it is on the field or at a negotiation table, is where Torm thrives. To see how the ebb and flow of a battle must dictate the appropriate response and timing is the level of sophisticated fight that Torm developed as a leader of men, and then amongst the gods where the stakes were the highest it could be. But in his new mortality, Torm finds himself fatigued of the war… fatigued of battle. He holds his virtues to be truth… but he now feels the fragility and exhaustion so many mortals go through battle after battle. Torm is in a crisis upon this mortal plane… not just from what he’s been through, but now considering what it all ever means to those who worship him.

Appearance: The ears were slightly pointy, his hair a deep chestnut, almost black, and long around his shoulders. His appearance was dark, but warm and charismatic. Youthful vigor, but with eyes that held a wisdom defying his outward appearance. At first glance there was something intimidating about his presence, but the more someone looked, the more they saw someone who they could be friends with.

Secrets:

People:
1) Kaylie Eaglekeep (Female Human): Kaylie is a humble farmer now, but once was a renowned adventurer in her younger years. Settling down only to lose her husband to illness, she raised her son as best she could before he grew old enough to travel and seek his own fortunes elsewhere. She is predominantly why Torm feels such a crisis at this moment… his perspective now much smaller than he is used to, he is uncertain how to contend with this new perspective; embrace it to aid in how he seeks to represent Law, or ignore it so that the Law can rule unbiased.

2) Aelen Daeatril (Male Elf): When Torm was a mortal king, he forged a friendship with an elf of similar station to himself, Aelen Daeatril, who taught the young noble about the rule of law and justice, and how such aspects must be protected at all costs. Their friendship withstood the test of time, but when Torm ascended to a more deific station, Aelen was left on the mortal plane to work in the name of his people, and became a worshipper of Torm… at least, that’s what it appeared. Aelen coveted the power Torm gained, especially as he saw himself as Torm’s mentor. How is it then, that the human should be elevated to godhood, his own abilities ignored by the powers at play. The jealousy was never acted upon… and Aelen eventually passed as all mortal beings must do, even elves. But the righteous jealousy within his soul may have been enough to gain the notice of another god, one who saw an opportunity to lay Torm low. The opportunity was the only thing required, and gods could be very, very patient for the right one…

3) Ketizur (Female Half-Orc): Where Aelen represented the dangers of following the written word of law, Ketizur was the example of following the spirit of the law. Protecting her people, she is the chosen chieftain of her diverse tribe. She may not be a follow of Torm in name, but the descended god recognizes her nobility and power of diplomatic relations, but upholding the safety and security of her tribe in combat if needed.

4) The Red Knight: Their relationship was always complicated. And their own. The honest truth is that both would trust the other in any fight, and that more good can come from an excellent executed battle than harm, for both sides.

5) Bahamut: A friendship unlike any other, these two shared many a long night debating the merits of their position, the virtues of mercy, and the pain of responsibility.

Backstory: How does one clarify the position of law, duty, loyalty, and mercy? How does one decide when a law becomes in service to a tyrant rather than the benefit of its people. Duty to a superior is lawful and honorable, but if that superior’s interests are against the people the law states they must serve, then the law has been tainted. A punishment for a thief who steals food to feed the family that starves because laws keep them in a position subservient to rulers of a land? The law is corrupted. So, where does the judgement of the law come from? For me it must always be for the benefit of the people’s the law is meant to serve. Those in power are guided by this principle. The law supports this position for the benefit of all in society. That is my stance. It must be, lest I become like my enemies.

Bonus Background: Ah, the time of troubles is such a tame title for a period of time that saw so much violence, and sacrifice. Bane is who kept my focus during that time. Finding and then keeping the tablets safe away from his followers, and then battling with his avatar to rid the world of his tyranny… for a time. So many people had to die in order for him to fall… so many souls. I made sure they wouldn’t be lost in vain… even my life was lost by the end of that battle, but I would gladly lay my life again if it meant the end of fear and tyranny in the world.

RP Sample: The war camp was orderly, as much as any hobgoblin camp can be with other goblins running around to their hovels. Most importantly, the organized chaos also spoke to consistency in tactics. The hobgoblins kept their slaves and captives deep within the camp, surrounded on all sides by warriors from their horde.

Maglubiyet was mistaken for pushing his followers to take these captives, to invade this land, and to believe his forces and power so great that nothing would be done. That no consequences for the actions taken would fall back on them.

But justice and mercy do not let such actions pass without consequence. I will not let such actions pass. The goblin god may send a horde to do his bidding, but all I need are a small group of adventurers who need just a little help on their side to tip the scales in their favor.

A seed of intuition, a path less difficult than others, and a combination of heroes that can work together to achieve the desired outcome. It’s satisfying to watch a group of individuals band together and make their way through the goblin camp, quietly defeating all who stand in their way until the captives are reached, liberated, and removed from the war camps oppression. Obedience is integral to society and civilization as a whole. But oppression, outright slavery, is imposing one's will upon another without their consent. It perverts the notion of duty, and I cannot let it stand.

The captives are lead away from the camp, still quietly, and without the camp any wiser to the situation. It is hard at times like these for my mirth to not be known… for in arranging this liberation I saw an opportunity for my dear Red Knight to expand her game. Within a few hours, the forces of Ilneval shall be marching through this region and heading straight for Maglubiyet’s forces, and likely erupting in a conflict suitable for the goblins and orcs.

When proposing the idea to Red, the mirth in her eyes seemed to light up the night sky. Justice will be served, even if it is by proxy. Tyr would have found my tactics somewhat, subversive. But duty, self-sacrifice, and loyalty do not discount the clever use of enemy resources so that your own can prevail in the end. Self-sacrifice is not to just willfully throw one’s life away. It is to make sure that your sacrifice garners the greatest benefit to those who remain, otherwise it is not honoring the life that is lost. Above all, we must always honor life.

All life.

Bonus RP: A dragonborn cleric finds himself swearing an oath to his god to reach success.

Player Goals for this campaign: I am fascinated to explore how a god thinks when they are imprisoned as a mortal. How do they cope with being all powerful only to become fragile, and mortal. I want to interact with players, NPCs and the world in a meaningful way, with consequences and benefits, and have actions affect the world in some way, large or small. I want it to be a heroic story and help everyone feel like their characters matter in the story.

Last edited by MontageManiac; 02-28-2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:56 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1055
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Portfolio
right-aligned image
Milil, The Magnificient
Half-Elf, Bard
-- Milil has always had a fondness for the beauty and art of the elves. However the humans thirst for life is just as inspiring. In the past Milil has appeared to his followers in a form indistinguishable from elf or human so its only natural for this charismatic god of song to manifest as half-elven.

Traits:
--
--
Bond:
--
Ideal:
--
Flaws:
--
--

Last edited by JohnStone; 02-27-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:00 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac LinguaManiac
First Question
Quote:
Would you allow an Aasimar? I think they're from Volo's book of monsters, which I believe is the same as the information here.
My rule for most races is the same: show that 1) your character would of course manifest as whatever race, and 2) we have an agreed upon source.

You've already provided the second. I look forward to seeing what you provide by way of the first.

I have taken the Oath
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7093
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
I’ve updated my app! Would love any additional feedback if there is any inclination. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2019, 07:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I've updated my app, it's starting to get better I feel, I might try and up date it a couple times over the next few days as it's getting a bit long to update all at once.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:32 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2538
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Application Status: Complete

Selūne
right-aligned image
S
elūne. Goddess of the Moon, Lady of Silver, and She Who Guides.

Class and Race: Water Genesai - Druid.

Selūne manifested in the body of a water genesai giving her just the faintest influence over the water around her. It felt almost like a taunt contrasting the sway she once had over the vast oceans of the world.

She also manifested with the abilities of the druids, those who watch over the land and its most vulnerable inhabitants. Her abilities seem to be extremely weak at the moment. This fact was perhaps less surprising, considering that those who identify with the Circle of the Moon were some of her most avid worshipers.

Traits:
  • My moods ebb and flow like the sea itself. Or rather, the tides ebb and flow like my moods. They are varied: predictable to those familiar with them, yet occasionally dangerous to those who aren't. Ranging from joyous and impulsive, to calm and motherly, to forlorn and wistful, my moods often share one thing in common - I am rarely angry. However, be it the right person or the right situation, I will make an exception.
  • Despite residing in darkness, I value light in every form. I seek to shine brightness into the dark places in the world and enlighten the dark places of the mind. I hold to the night so as to provide light in an attempt to keep evil at bay for those residing on the land.
  • Surprising to many, I am often found with my nose in a good book. I value knowledge, believing it is my responsibility to keep every weapon in my arsenal sharp in this never ending battle against evil. I also find the tales of mortals fascinating and long for the sense of adventure and excitement that their novels often reveal.

Bond:
  • I value life above all else. I was there then life first blossomed, and fought for its existence - losing a part of myself in the process.

Ideals:
  • Evil has no place in this world. There must be those who are willing to fight for those unable to stand up for themselves.

Flaws:
  • Once my rage is released there is little that can stop me. This maelstrom of emotion shows no discrimination, and friend or foe are equally as likely to be torn apart like a ship in the storm.
  • After several millennia of existence, I find myself bored easily. I will seek out adventure and excitement with little regard for practicality or safety. Being newly mortal secretly delivers a rush that she was unable to find among her godly duties.
  • I hold out hope that one day the feud between my sister and me will end in a peaceful resolution and our family reunited.
  • I have a hard time adjusting to the normal rhythms of mortal life, finding myself distracted and forgetful for much of the day and energized at dusk.

Personality:

Her name is Selūne. She is worshiped by many, loved by most, and vehemently hated by the one she was once closest to. There are still days that she hopes to find happiness with her twin sister once more, a desire once held to with the fervor of child-like naivete. Those days are becoming fewer and fewer as the centuries creep forward and Selūne would now be likely to admit (perhaps if she were to get drunk enough) that she's not even sure how such a reunion could ensue given the bad blood and horrific acts between them. They've raged vicious wars against each other, both with the intent to destroy the other, and such things are not easily forgotten. Still it is a wish she clings to, for few things cause one to abandon reason like family and love. The conflicting nature of this hope doesn't stop her from seeking to irradiate Shar's influence in the world or mitigate the intensity with which she battles her sister. To everyone but Selūne, it's painfully obvious that this resolution will never come to pass.

In the wake of the love that the sisters once shared, Selūne clings desperately to the life that she helped create in hopes that it will fulfill her. Before her banishment to the mortal realm she could often be found traveling the outer planes, searching for knowledge - both to quench a personal thirst and as a means to battle evil or subdue her sister. She collects books telling of the marvelous adventures of mortals and yearns for excitement and a break from the often mundane life of a god. As she travels, she finds many opportunities to be kind to her followers and generous to all, especially those in need.

Still, to those who bring her blood to boil, no mercy can be found. She fights evil with a persistence and vehemence that betrays how deeply she cares for the living and will gladly put herself in danger for those she cares about. Unfortunately, her anger can sometimes be as turbulent as the seas which she influences, uncontrollable, and catching innocent bystanders in their wake. Due to this she will often go out of her way to avoid confrontation, as the voices of her past still haunt her. More often, she is slow to anger even as her moods change with the cycle of the moon.

Appearance:

Selūne is no stranger to the mortal form, though to actually be mortal is quite an uncomfortable feeling. Although, if she were being honest with herself, she'd admit that it also delivers a rush that she's secretly yearned for. Currently, she looks like one of the avatars that she has used on multiple occasions: a young woman with long, dark hair and pale shimmering skin. A faint blue aura radiates off of her skin in the darkness, but no longer provides the light it once did. A close look will reveal a blueish undertone to her skin betraying the water genesai body that she's currently inhabiting.

Her Secret:

A secret kept from Selūne:

People of Importance:

Akadi - Selūne's best friend and most trusted confidant. One of the few who can calm her rage or prevent it from escalating too far.

Valkur - While they didn't always see eye to eye, they were friendly towards eachother, and often spent time together enjoying the sea. Often enough they worked together to thwart Umberlee, who worked hard to send those she could to its cold depths.

Chauntea - Early in the mornings, when the moon still lingers in the sky even as the sun assumes it's position above, Selūne will lay staring up at the burning sphere with Chauntea, basking in its warmth among the grass and speaking of life. Selūne assumed no domain over the plants that Chauntea cares for so expertly (she doesn't even use plant domain spells,) but these humble residents provide sustinance and even shelter for the animals and sentient beings for whom she feels responsible.

Lorna of Waterdeep - Now and again, Luna still makes her way back to Waterdeep. When she does, she frequents the inn that she once ran, though the ones who knew her as Selūne are long since dead. She sits and listens to the bards tell of great adventures and enjoys the drinks the inkeeper serves. It was there that she met Lorna, an middle aged woman and once servant to the Kormallis household. She currently runs an orphanage that she started about 10 years after her own daughter died when a young orphan was dropped off at her doorstep. Selūne helps her when possible, bringing gifts, gold, and securing funds from the church to help with funding.

Raynier Ward - A Fallen Aasimar Paladin/Warlock, Raynier used to worship Selūne. After all he's a descendant of one of her Shards and a mortal woman and thus a wielder of her power. Or was anyways. After his parents were brutally murdered, he took it upon himself to find their killers - a quest that led him to morally questionable tactics and further from Selūne's light. Eventually he strayed far enough that he became one of the fallen, his power tainted. He has since found himself with a weapon of the Shadowfell, and sworn an oath of conquest with the sole intent on driving evil from the land and establishing an order that will keep those like his parents safe. His power has warped into a weapon of darkness, decaying wings sprout from his back while he conjures fear in those he fights. While Selūne has tried to coax him back from the edge of darkness many times, he is simply resolved to do whatever it takes to make the world a safer place, including damning his own soul and forsaking his own faith. Raynier still prays to Selūne for the soul of each criminal he takes down... before setting them upon a post as a example of what will happen if you harm innocent people. While he is still estranged from Selūne's power, and they have different boundaries as to how far it is acceptable to go when driving evil from the land, Selūne will still go to him with certain tasks that she cannot perform herself - inadvertently furthering Raynier's belief that his way is in the right.

Ranier's a hexblade warlock - linked to his sentient warhammer whose influence over him is growing. He's also sworn an Oath of Conquest, determined to lead and army that will conquer the known world and instill an order that will be feared those who seek to take advantage of innocent people. Unlike Selūne, he sees collateral damage a neccessary, albiet unfortunate, side effect in the war against evil and doesn't shy away from the hard decisions.

Kern and Allison Morningstar - The last living descendants of the demigod that she killed during the Time of troubles, Selūne watches over them to ensure their safety. What started out as a chore of guilt has blossomed into a great friendship. Selūne is almost a second mother to the now orphaned teens.

Moral Quandry - Selūne's biggest challenge is often toeing the line of morality when it comes to how far she is willing to go to eliminate the threat of evil. She values life, all life, and situations that make her choose whether to sacrifice a life to save another can sometimes leave her paralyzed. One such situation arose when she found herself stuck between Valkur and Umberlee, as she often did. A warlord who was responsible for the genocide of hundreds had stowed himself away on a ship, hoping to find safety on a foreign shore. When she happened upon the two gods fighting she was quickly beseeched by both gods. Umberlee pointed out the crimes of the man and how he deserved to die. Not only that, but his death would mean safety for those in the nation which he landed in. Valkur pleaded with her to take his side. There were sailors and other passengers on that ship that were innocent, not knowing who the man was or even that he was on board. The two gods were closely matched in power and her sway over the tides could tip the scales. In the end, she sided with her friend Valkur. That man went on to lead an army that pillaged a small city state, not even sparing the women and children, before he was finally killed and the cries of those souls weighs heavily on her decisions to this day.

The event itself was a catalyst to her self-banishment to Waterdeep before the Crisis of the Avatars, in which she assumed the form of a middle-aged innkeeper. She has since come to accept that inaction and the forsaking of her duties can easily lead to even more catastrophic consequences. She realizes now that decisions of life and death are not easy ones to make and shoulders the weight of her mantle with more caution than before. She sees herself as a martyr of sorts when involving herself in these decisions - saving others from the consequences of the decision and the guilt that comes with it.

RP Sample -

Player Goals: Oh man. To participate in a great story with great characters who evolve and grow even as they are written. The idea of beings that are centuries, if not millennia, old roaming the earth learning about themselves as they go feels like a gold mine. I love opportunities for heavy role play and the opportunity to play an established piece of the D&D world while making it your own seems like an amazing, and rare, opportunity. I guess my goal is just to live up to that haha.

The Great Exile | Return to Karredral | Waeveran Legends | Waterdeep:Disavowed |Madness in Stephanovo

Last edited by DaysUntold; 03-03-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:04 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Jeeze... You lot aren't making it easy on me, are you?

It feels like every day I show up and there's yet another really good application. I have no idea how I'm going to make this decision in the end.

Cheers to you all. And thanks.

I have taken the Oath

Last edited by LinguaManiac; 03-01-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics

I have taken the Oath
Old 03-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Deadline Approaching

Please remember that the it is now (about) 12:00 GMT on March 1st. There are only 60 hours left to get in any last corrections or new applications.

For most of the people following this thread, this warning shouldn't be any cause for concern. Almost all of you are done. But... I felt obligated to remind. (In all honesty, it shouldn't be a concern for anyone.)

Also please remember that it'll be a day or two after applications close before invitations are set out, accepted, and everyone in the thread who did not get picked is notified.With so many of the applications this exceptional, I cannot take everyone who would work well with this game and I certainly can't take everyone I'd like to take. I know there are some people who, when they aren't picked, wonder what they could have done better (I'm one of those people, generally). Please don't.

In most cases, it's just me deciding who would work best with my plot. Unless you're a mind-reader, you couldn't possibly know that plot to prepare for it.

If (over the course of time) people drop from the game, I will be bouncing back to this thread and opening the advertisements again. If you aren't accepted and want to be considered going in case of any openings, please keep this on your subscription list.

I have taken the Oath
Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4054
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
What a awesome looking game and so many great apps. I feel bad for Lingua having to choose from such a great pool.

Good luck and have a wonderful adventure folks, I look forward to reading it
Old 03-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 501
Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas
Name: Mahin
Race and Class: Hill Dwarf Druid. I was a low level nature deity, working with burrowing creatures and minerals. I sometimes gave mortals inspiring dreams to show them how they might work metals. Dwarf jewelers worshiped me because those that did saw intricate designs in their dreams that allowed them to sell for more, and some elves began following me too.
Background: God
Trait 1: I believe hard work should always be rewarded.
Trait 2: I don't believe everyone deserves to succeed, but if I see someone struggling despite trying hard I will help them.
Bond: As a god I had a dragon's hoard, it is inaccessible to me as a mortal.
Ideal: I highly value hard work, resilience, and beauty, anything the exhibits all three is blessed in my sight. I care for small burrowing creatures, and teach mortals how to design jewelry.
Flaw 1: I rarely change my first opinion.
Flaw 2: I put too much value in beauty.
Personality: I love people that work hard to create beauty in any form, and my job was to guide and reward such individuals. I am easily enthralled by jewelry and am very good at guess it's value. I don't think I'm haughty, but I judge harshly, and will almost never change my mind. If I see someone trying to achieve a task I will help, but if I see someone hoping to luck into success I will often impede their progress.
Appearance: I'm a fairly tall, and less stocky than average dwarf with bronze colored hair and a bear that is braided into a thick rope past my thighs, I have wide frill like side burns and small bright eyes. I wear skins of small mammals the died naturally, and carry a staff topped with a great claw.
Secret: When I came to being I worked for Tiamat as a diplomat to Lolth, I still have a hidden love for the drow culture
Secret 2: There is a phylactery of a great dracolich in my hoard that has been trying to corrupt me since my mortal life, my psyche is not untouched.
People:
1. Delis Leafguile - My first and most loyal elven worshiper, a cleric of the forge who nearly believes me when I tell him who I am.
2. Garland Hammerfist - A dwarven cleric of nature who is closer to me than family, he's worshiped me his whole life, but I haven't revealed myself to him(he would react poorly).
3. Alez Abier - A human brewer who I sell ingredients to, he and I sell a fine brew.
5. Bahamut - I owe him a lot, for bringing me to the side of goodness and not extinguishing me, but reforging this once evil dragon turn evil god turn good god.
Backstory:
Bonus Background: I was a newly formed god, having ascended from life as an ancient dragon. I was in the employ of Tiamat and tended my hoard until it passed.
RP Sample: When I left Tiamat's service, I was assaulted by another of her heralds, Coubrixes(COW-bree). His massive shadow descended on me as I flew towards Sigil, "Your queen could never stand to have anything taken, could she?" I growled in our ancient language. Acid dripped from his scaled mouth, "You served as long as I have, and should know that. His breath began to rumble in his chest. I thought that I should react, maybe kill him before he tired to kill me. I felt the static charging through my throat, but thought of the lessons my new master gave me. I should respect life, and when I can I should defend it. I allowed my breath to discharge harmlessly, "Coubrixes, maybe one day you will also join Bahamut and lead a life you can be proud of. He gave me a chance, why not you?" He spit his breath weapon at me, "I am proud of my service! Tiamat may even allow me more power once I've taken care of you!" The gob of acid hit me in the middle of my back and sent me spiraling to the wild planes below, I was able to slow my descent in the last moments and took the form of a dwarf in order to be harder to find and began running. He took the form of a drow and drew his bow, to which I muttered a few words and sent vies out behind me and grappled his bow arm allowing me to escape. I've recovered, but I can't help but imagine he's still looking for me.
Player goals for this campaign: I'd like to reach a higher rank in the dragon pantheon, and gain more mortal followers.

Last edited by Nikolas; 03-02-2019 at 08:39 PM.