Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 109
greenvoid greenvoid
Elf Gates EG-1

Game NameElf Gates EG-1
Game SystemPathfinder
Themeexploration, intrigue, covert warfare
Flavourelven scouts gauging new neighbors, mostly on the serious side, not a comedy
Plot SummaryThere are many aiudara connecting locations on Golarion and its solar system, but it would be naive to think that the long-lived elves never thought about going to other places, seeking new and interesting worlds and maybe another refuge or two like Sovyrian.

So what happens when an elf wandering the jungle around Sovyrian discovers an ancient gate, leading to a place with lots of other gates? They send in the scouts, of course, to find out what dangers and treasures await on the other side(s).

Mostly expect an episodic series, I don't currently have any overarching plot in mind (like the wraiths), but if the game goes on long enough one might sneak in.

I'm planning to run wild with the weirdness of the location or the locals from time to time. For example, a zero-g asteroid field with a kobold vs. svirfneblin conflict and things like that.

Home and DowntimeEl is the capital city of Sovyrian, homeland of the elves on the planet Castrovel.

The planet is lush, green and humid, teeming with life in all its corners. Megafauna abounds here, trees can grow hundreds of feet high, and the variety of living things would make any Golarion jungle-dweller breathless. However, such abundant life is also dangerous, things tend to consume smaller or weaker things, and those not skilled in the ways of the wilds should not go out there alone.

Sovyrian is basically the smallest continent on the planet, mainly controlled by the elven nation, though the wilderness between settlements is controlled by none.

El, the capital
The Hosting Hall is a grand hall reserved for visitors who are not invited per se to stay at someone's place. It caters to its residents, providing sleeping space and enough food and drink to be well-fed, but not opulent by local standards. Given the fertility of the land, this imposes no strain on the citizens, so it's part of part of basic hospitaity.

Prominent families and powerful groups have their homes on the rock wall at the sides of the great waterfall, while the majority of locals live on and around the trees that dot the city.

The Woodland Stewards is a group of mostly druids and rangers who keep the most dangerous flora and fauna away from the inhabited area, discouraging or scaring away trespassing life forms. They make it a point not to kill any if it's possible, they are not destroyers but keepers. Their tree-stations are found along the edge of the city, always housing at least half a dozen Stewards on the lookout.

The Emerald Vigil, however, are out to kill, when necessary. They patrol the 10-mile perimeter of the city, and also respond to any requests from the Stewards -- or any others they take seriously. Their leader is Alaor Findessu, grizzled veteran of many dangerous quests, the most famous being a rescue mission into Orv.

The Gray Falcons are the least militant of the three groups, as courirs their job is to make sure the message arrives to its destination and in time. Their main strength is being undetectable, though they are skilled with the short sword and throwing daggers.

Crunchy DetailsPosting rate: 3-4 per week
Starting level: 5
Ability scores: 20 point-buy
Hp: d4 ⇒ d2+2, d6 ⇒ d3+3, etc., roll for level 1 as well
Traits: Sovyrian Scout for free, one for your order free, two extra ones, no drawbacks
Sovyrian Scout (free campaign trait): You gain a +1 trait bonus on Stealth checks, and Stealth is always a class skill for you. This trait bonus increases to +2 in wooded areas.
Order Traits: coming soon
Starting money: standard, you can spend max. half on a single item
House rules: feat tax relief, background skills, skill / attribute replacing (skill: newSkill replaces oldSkill ⇒ add newSkill/3 to oldSkill checks; attribute: newAttr bonus replaces oldAttr bonus ⇒ add (newAttr bonus)/2 to oldAttr checks)
Combat encounters: theater-of-the-mind map; I'll probably come up with a physical map, but no grid on it

ApplicationName: yep
Race: elf, half-elf, feel free to pick alternate racial traits (then include them in the background story)
Class(es): non-casters or arcane casters only, no Path of War
Background: Why have you become a scout? What are you looking for as one? What will you do when at home between missions? Who will be waiting for you? Read on Sovyrian and El, the story will start from there.
Personality: You'll be interacting with members of new cultures, the way you carry yourself will make a difference.
Roleplaying sample: Either copy it from an existing game or introduce your PC.
Sheets can wait until the application ends.
Application ends: 17 March, or when I feel there are so many that I'll make my choice of PCs

Applications Status
Player Character Status
Seekr34 Arion Elessedil Ready
MurderInParidise Ogeaglial Lom Ready
mightymconeshot Variel the Sun-Touched Ready
Kshnik Jaunas Hummingbird Ready
Mrjoegangles Raynier Wulflund Ready
bookworm Tanyth Qintalor Ready
OneDarkness Dain Zinsalor WiP
Patchens Silfrithlay WiP
MattLovesCoffee interest --
Runetide interest --

Last edited by greenvoid; 03-11-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 651
MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee
Any houserules in place?

I love the feat tax and background skills alternative rules

Is only flat elf allowed? Drow, half elves, eladrin, etc are all elf adjacent
Old 03-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
greenvoid greenvoid
This ad is still under construction, but I added those
Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
greenvoid greenvoid
I think fluff-wise eladrin can easily be simulated by appropriate background, description and alternate racial traits.

Drow on Golarion are different from the usual, but that would be a spoiler for at least one Adventure Path, so no drow in the game.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 651
MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee MattLovesCoffee
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I have a concept, just need to age it, and find some laptop time!

Do you want sheets now, or only after selection?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
greenvoid greenvoid
Quote:
Do you want sheets now, or only after selection?
sheets can wait, they won't be a factor in deciding who to pick
Old 03-01-2019, 08:32 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 689
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Neat! I'll give this a shot.
You mean no divine or occult casters, so only able to make an arcane caster?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
greenvoid greenvoid
Quote:
You mean no divine or occult casters, so only able to make an arcane caster?
Yes. I have ideas for occult games, and divine sounds messy to me if the game's going to happen all across the universe. So in this game we'll stick to arcane casters only.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 329
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
right-aligned image
Name: Raynier Wulflund
Race: Half Elf
Class: Wizard (Sword-Binder)
Order: Emerald Vigil
Background: The Bastard son of Lord Garnyier Wulflund and an unknown Elvan woman, Raynier’s arrival at court was considered a scandalous affair, a group of well armed Elves appeared at Wulflund’s ancestral home with a baby in tow. Zero words were exchanged as they marched into the grand hall and deposited the half-blood at Garnyier’s feet. While the Lord denied the child few could deny the Wulflund features, made more uncannily beautiful with the hint of Elvish that permeated throughout.
Surprisingly it was the Dowager Wulflund, Garnyier’s mother, and self proclaimed expert of decency and propriety that welcomed the bastard into the Wulflund household. Like all frontier lords, Raynier was given an extensive education in warfare, while slimmer than the average human, and seemingly frail, the elvish blood in his veins gave him an uncanny power that belied his size and allowed him to exceed all expectations given by his teachers and his father. But it was with his grandmother that Raynier’s true education took place. In her grandson she saw fresh blood, strong and capable of reinvigorating her house, as well as a student capable of mastering the arcane arts she had used to protect her house for several generations. Martial and Arcane; Swordmanship and Spellcraft, both worlds became his to master and combine into a deadly dance of death and destruction. His abilities, while still raw and underdeveloped, had a strong foundation to build upon when the Elves came back to claim him.
His family was upset, his dowager grandmother furious, even his father seemed put off when the Elvish delegation demanded Raynier pack his bags to begin his training far away in Elven lands. Raynier however was excited at a chance to meet a mother he had no memory of, and learn about his other family and their heritage.
Unfortunately a reunion was not to be, taken to a mysterious city called El, Raynier was given several instructors and a minder to keep him from shirking his lessons or exploring the grand metropolis. None of the trainers, teachers, and sages who came to test and instruct him knew anything of his mother or her family, only that Raynier was to be given every opportunity to prove his worth to the Elvish people or be exiled back to human lands.
Raynier greatfully soaked in the culture and history of his elvish ancestors, and learned much of where he came from. His martial instructors were pleased by his combat prowess, but disturbed by his inelegant straight blade. His arcane master was astonished by his inate skill in the arcane arts, simple spells and cantrips already mastered and a spellbook full of arcane theories and experimentations as Raynier tried to unlock more hidden spellcraft from the aether.
Before long his instructors were forced to conclude that the Human Bastard Raynier was a valuable asset to the Elven community, and he was told that after his a four year stint of service in a special program he would be reunited with his mother, and allowed to join her family as a true elf.
Personality: Raynier has always been an outcast, unloved by either of his heritages and yet he has seemingly stolen the best of both. Constantly tested since a young age Raynier is confident of his abilities, and bolder than the average elf, yet he has learned patience and how to look forward into the future, an envious ability for a human to possess. Used to being looked upon as second class, Raynier is good at slipping unseen from the eyes of his “betters”, a man of few words the halfbreed is content to let others tongues waggle while he listens and remembers unnoticed.
Roleplaying sample: Raynier was finishing off a skin of elvish wine when the trouble started. “No, not started, it started when I sat down to order my drink. I should have recognized the bigots for what they were when I came in..... Maybe I did?” They reeked of cheap drink and long hours toil. Their simple fabrics homespun and sweat-stained. Large, bruised fists clenched as they formed a semi-circle around the table.
“Friends, it is late, and you seem upset,””and inebriated.””let me buy you a round before I make my way from this establishment?” A handful of coins spill on to the table, silver glitters in the light of the candles and lanterns strewn about. Enough for several rounds, and change to spare, certainly enough to buy Raynier ten steps towards the door. The muttered slur of halfblood was all the warning Raynier needed to prepare for the locals onslaught. A muttered incantation, a flick of the wrist, a wiggle of his fingers and a pinch of bat were all the ingredients necessary to plunge the poorly lit bar into darkness, the light magically snuffed out even as Raynier dropped into a tumble under the table and across the floor. Scrambling quietly as his new “friends” drunkenly stumbled into each other striking out at every noise around them.
When the spell ended two of the brutes were felled by their own companions, and bruises covered the remainder. Atop the counter by the door stood the half-elf, an exquisite sheathed blade held out across his body, ready to be drawn. As the leader of the men started his charge Raynier did not grasp the blade however, but rather made a sweeping gesture with his fingers toward the thug. The blade sang from the sheath as it spun toward the offending human, a whirling ballet of death. As the man cried out, hands outstretched and head fearfully turned away from oncoming fatality, the blade stopped, nearly vibrating as with a hunger for flesh. As the local thug looked up and past the blade he saw the cold, hard gaze of the elfblooded wizard, clenched fist vibrating with the blade.
Suddenly a smile cracks the hard exterior, and a sly grin takes over Raynier’s face. “If you didn’t need the drink before, you do now.” Crooking his fingers back toward him, the wizard’s other hand thrusts out his sheath as the blade spins back to his master, and it’s home. And with a nod to the battered crew before him he turns to the door and leaves, whistling an Elvish tune.

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; 03-13-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
greenvoid greenvoid
Added theatre-of-the-mind map info

EDIT: And the free campaign trait

Last edited by greenvoid; 03-01-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2092
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
Posting interest...
Old 03-02-2019, 12:45 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1709
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvoid View Post
Yes. I have ideas for occult games, and divine sounds messy to me if the game's going to happen all across the universe. So in this game we'll stick to arcane casters only.
Wow, so no clerics, I better bu some cure potions. What about rangers since they have to prepare like wizards unlike clerics.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:03 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
greenvoid greenvoid
Quote:
What about rangers
skirmisher or spell-less ranger

Quote:
since they have to prepare like wizards unlike clerics
???
Old 03-02-2019, 03:14 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
greenvoid greenvoid
Added starting money info
Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 193
MurderInParidise MurderInParidise
Ogeaglial Lom

Very interested, thinking of building a monk!

Name: Ogeaglial Lom
Race: Elf (Creepy alt racial trait.)
Class: Monk (The Gray Falcons)

Background: Qhok'naal is one of the lesser known liches of the universe. He was an elf born on Golarion, but immigrated to Castrovel to complete his transformation. Most people on his former home planet assumed he failed, and none in Sovyrian have any idea what happened to the strange man that they may have met briefly. He built a keep far in the jungles, but only a few weeks journey from civilization. He has been biding his time for centuries, increasing his power, building his armies, and training a superweapon. Many years ago Qhok'naal sent his undead servants out to get him some children. Over a few decades he rooted out which one was the best, and disposed of the others. He named this favoured one Ogeaglial.
Ogeaglial was raised and trained to become a perfect weapon for his adopted father. The only other children he ever knew all disappeared by the time he was thirty. His caretakers were mindless husks, and his teacher a devious evildoer. Ogeaglial became a scout because that is what was ordered of him, he seeks to deliver information back to his master, in order to help him gain more power. Between missions he would enjoy returning back home to the keep, but is eager to travel more. He's endlessly studied the known universe, but seeks to discover yet more. When he returns the only one waiting for him will be Qhok'naal. For now he has been living in El, trying to make connections and get into the Scouts.

Personality: Ogeaglial has been trained from the moment he was kidnapped to fit seamlessly in with normal society. Unfortunately, he takes it to the extremes, exactly copying the body language of people he meets. This, combined with his other unnerving mannerisms lead many to find him quite creepy. Other than those things, he is actually quite a decent man. He obeys the orders of his superiors, aids his companions, and reports back to his master. He has few hobbies, but he does enjoy making porcelain sculptures and baking. He is courteous to most people unless they give him a reason not to be, and only takes risks when they are truly worth it to him. He has little personal ambition, and little trust in anyone other than his master.

Roleplaying sample:
The two remaining elven children were brought into the throne room, the torches lit with arcane fire, the same fire that burned in the eyes of Qhok'naal as he saw them approach. The children had no names, one was a boy and one was a girl. They were hardly 30 years old. Their ghoul keepers salivated hungrily, knowing that they would feast on one of them today. As the children bowed before the dais, Qhok'naal spoke.
"Welcome children. Welcome welcome. You have grown so much, but only one of you will continue to grow. Tonight you prove yourself to me, prove yourself worthy to be the general of my infernal armies when we someday rise to conquer." His voice resonated, despite his lack of vocal cords. The children were to fight, and Qhok'naal already knew which one would win. She, in addition to her training had begun to manifest sorcerous powers. He was going to name her Isilynor. Their shackles were removed, and they prepared for combat.
They circled each other, once, twice, and then a third time before the girl made the first move. She remained at a distance, letting her magic do the work. The boy began to shiver as he was struck by her ray of frost. The rest of the battle went in much the same way, her easily blocking his moves and using both magic and martial might. Qhok'naal had not expected the boy to be good, but had expected him to at least get a few good hits in before he died. Eventually the boy was knocked to the ground, and the girl stood over him smirking. She could have easily killed him, but took a moment to flaunt her victory.
"Surrender now, and I'll kill you quick! Lest I leave you to the ghouls!" The boy showed no fear, no emotion at all. Then he spoke, with a voice that reminded one of razor blades and curdled milk.
"There is no honour in surrender. The only honourable death is death in battle. You are a worthy adversary, I will not deny you that honour." Both the girl and Qhok'naal laughed at his statement, but before they had stopped laughing, the boy made a sudden move. He went for her eyes first, and soon enough she lay dead on the floor. The boy bowed before the throne of Qhok'naal. The lich was surprised. He soon realized that the boy had been playing a game with her, waiting for her eyes to be within range of his fingers. Truly this was the one to lead his armies. But now he needed a name.
"I applaud you my son. Your name shall be Ogeaglial, and mine to you shall be father." The lich led his new son off to train him for one century, after which time, he would be unleashed on the world. His orders were simple. Recruit, gain information, and of course, get stronger.

Last edited by MurderInParidise; 03-07-2019 at 07:28 PM.