RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-04-2019, 05:25 AM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 195
Vathe Vathe
Marten. I've moved some words around in Clausell's backstory to better fit the world, no real changes though. I'm unsure if lieutenant is even a title he can have in Greyhawk, first time playing in the setting so I left things a bit vague in places in both write-ups.

My idea for him is to have been a guardsman who was raised to the status of a low-ranking officer of a smaller township, something certainly impressive to most common men but nothing in the grand scheme of things.

After his injury and years of peace his vitality and cunning have faded a bit. Clausell has grown a bit rusty, essentially leveling him down from what level he may have been at before to make his prior feats more believable.

Is there a township of the eight that would fit where he was, and a rank that would suit Clausell's position as warden of their western gates?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 AM
I think I'm mostly sane

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 101
Tears of Tomorrow Tears of Tomorrow
Oh by the way, I have some more bonus languages I need to select: any in particular that is likely to come up?
Old 03-04-2019, 06:25 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 796
Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus
Basic InfoName: Klara of the Flame
Race: Human
Class: Sorceress
Background: Urchin
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Sorceror

Some would call me lost, but they do not understand who or what I truly am. It is not a sin to live life and enjoy it to the fullest. To taste everything, to smell everything. To feel every little tiny sensation to its fullest, that is what I live for. Even as my insides wither and die, even as the "gift" I have been given burns me up slowly inside, to feel this, to experience everything that I can makes me feel so alive in a way that I would never otherwise feel.

AppearanceKlara is petite. She stands at a not particularly tall 5'4", and she has a slight, lithe form. When she travels, a strong aura of mystery goes with her. Her long, black hair goes down to the middle of her back, blowing free in the wind just as her shiny, bright eyes reflect the daylight from them.

Her skin is like marble and blemish free, and she carries herself with the confidence of someone who knows the devastating effect she has on everyone around her. She is quick and easy to smile, a cheeky, impish look that is impossible to deny or say no to, particularly when that strange yet enigmatic light dances in her eyes.

Everything she chooses to wear is very deliberately chosen. From the hair that blows in the wind, there to accentuate the innocent look to the golden circlet on her forehead with the symbol of a fire emblazoned on it, the fire that even now eats away at her insides.

PersonalityLost and alone, the broken girl sings. No one can hear her, yet to her, the sound of her own voice gives her something that human company cannot. It tells her she still yet lives.

Life brings nothing for the sane
Keep searching new days on the horizon
While time just seems to slip away
I'm leaving no trace along the way

Seems like I'm falling deeper, deeper inside myself
Feels like I'm growing weaker, much weaker each day
Along the path to decay

The lights are fading day by day
No cure for the lost, there's no ascending
When life could not become more pale
A new dawn is here, another day

Along the path to decay

Darkness within us all
We're feeble and stand to fall
The daylight has long since gone
But a new dawn has yet to come

Along the path to decay

Klara's abilities come at a price. She can tap into powers that others cannot even begin to comprehend. She can command energies that most would simply die to possess. The truth of it is exactly that. Klara is slowly dying. Whilst others of her ilk can draw their energy to fuel their abilities, Klara's own blood rejects her magical abilities. She draws and fuels her power with her own life. Each draw, each taste of that magic and power wastes away her insides. The more she uses her power, the more she hastens her own death. Yet, to Klara, whilst the use of that magic is slowly wasting her away, numbing her insides and turning her to dust, calling on those energies make her feel alive in a way that she does not feel when she is not calling on her magic.

Klara has become addicted to magic use amongst other things, and that addiction and craving has become a vicious circle. She needs to draw on her energy to feel alive, even as doing so propels her forwards to her own death.

Klara is precious of her youthful looks, because she knows just as her insides wither and die from her extended use of magic, so will her beauty and looks. And the day that that happens is the day she will die.

It may not look like it on the surface, but Klara desperately, desperately wants to live. And not just live, more importantly, she wants to feel alive again. First and foremost, that entails her finding a way to use and harness her abilities in such a way that does not involve fuelling them with her own life. She desires a way to break the self-destructive cycle that her world has devolved into. Her arrival at Oakhurst as an outsider was no accident. Klara too had heard rumours and stories of the Sunless Citadel. Rumours and stories that suggested that deep within she would find the cure that she needed....

BackgroundKlara was born a slave, to a life of nothingness, in a life of emptiness inside a nameless town trapped within the chaotic landmass known as the Bandit Lands. She never knew her parents -- it was likely better that way. She would not have liked to know which of the nameless, faceless bandit scum sired her.

As the years rolled by, all Klara knew was the live of a slave -- the degradations knowing no end. Still, despite the ignominy of her early years, at least she lived....somewhat, even if that life was ultimately hollow and empty. Her master was not a kindly man. Klara often fell short of his expectations in the various tasks that she was asked to do, ranging from cooking, to sewing and cleaning. In fact, it often seemed that her best, no matter what she did, was never quite good enough. The end result at first was the lash. It was always the lash. As time went by, Klara's back became a carpet of angry, red scars, until it got to the point there hardly seemed to be any flesh left to scar. The pain was agonising at first, however as time went by and the lashings continued, the feeling and sensation of pain numbed itself until it became barely more than an irritating dull ache. Klara's body had accustomed and adjusted itself to the constant agony. The skin on her back hardened until she became near impervious to the sensations that were being inflicted on her.

Unfortunately, as her physical state deteriorated from the beatings, so did her mental state. As she grew from child to teen to young woman, the days went by, one bleeding into the next, the cycle of nothingness propagated by her wakening into the next day, on the rare days she was allowed to sleep. Indeed, often her master pushed her past the point of exhaustion, seeing his slaves as nothing more than objects to be used as he saw fit.

It was about this time that Klara began to develop her latent talents as the magic burned within her bloodstream. Often, in the few times that she managed to be away from her master and the duties she was expected to perform she would call the magic forth. Conjuring fire in her hands, and the feeling it gave her made her feel something inside, and it was a craving that she desperately hung onto. It was this use of magic that provided her with the few, brief moments that she had ever felt anything save the numb emptiness that was her existence. Yet even this...unbeknownst to poor Klara, ultimately came with a price

Klara did not realise that her own blood rejected her and that the magic was slowly killing her as surely as a knife in the gut. She also came to realise that her gift could help her in other ways. And so she turned her magic on her master, burning him in a tidal wave of fire. Setting his estate on blaze, Klara left, escaping from him and from the dreadful place that had engraved so many terrible memories and so much terrible pain on her. Coming to realise the detrimental effects that spellcasting was having on her health, Klara, as she wandered alone for a while, tried to deny herself her magic. She used all of her wiles and charms to survive in a world that had seemingly rejected her.

Yet, for all she tried, one cannot deny what is inside themselves, and the magic called to her once more. Unable to deny it or herself, Klara fell back into her bad old ways, becoming as dependent on the magic use to survive and other intoxicating substances even as they slowly destroyed her.

Only this time, free of her master's influence, there was a sense of a better life, one that deep down she desperately wanted. So it was that Klara headed towards Oakhurst chasing rumours and whispers -- and the hope and belief that deep within the dark shadows of the Sunless Citadel she could find the help she so desperately needed.

RP SampleThe sorceress sits astride the horse as she traversed the edges of this wasteland of death and decay that was the outer edges of the chaotic place known as the Rift Canyon. Behind her, the main body of the canyon was left in the distance, as was her "home". As she sat, lost amidst the rhythmic swaying sensation transposed by the smooth movements of the horse, on occasion the stinging dust of the arid plains blew upwards from the breeze, occasionally touching the exposed areas of her skin. If this bothered the enigmatic sorceress, it did not show, and if the unpleasant heat bothered her, again it could not be seen through the veneer of composed serenity the girl displayed. The heat would change anyway, as it always did, in this hellish landscape.

She sat atop the mount, looking ahead, an expression of calmness reflected on her face and in her demeanour. On occasion, the petite brunette reached into the swirls of her flowing robes to withdraw something that she placed casually within her mouth.

Yet it could be said that the truth hidden inside was far different from what was projected externally with her false aura. Klara was broken in many, many ways, and it was her hope that this journey could fix what was lost inside of her. Yet was it possible that the cold, hard nothingness inside her could be fixed, or was this all a false hope that she desperately continued to cling onto because she had nothing else?

Her lips part as she opens her mouth to whisper, "Where is hope?" Because ultimately this was what this was all about. Whilst each and every step forwards in this blighted land brought her one step closer to her death, inside of her was a small kernel of hope.

The terrible truth was that this blasted, decaying landscape was a parallel to the reality that she hid away inside of her. The wind picked up, and the ends of her dark hair whipped up and down in the breeze. Klara became aware of the eyes of another on her. Looking across, her dark eyes met and caught those of a stranger in her own. The corners of her lips turn upwards in a mysterious smile, and her eyes glitter with a strange light. An unspoken promise.

Come. I will show you wonders and secrets beyond your wildest imaginings. I will take you places that go far beyond your greatest fantasies, and pleasures more than you will ever know again.

Smiling, she looks away from the stranger and moves her mount over in the other direction, leaving the stranger with that tantalising glance.

Instead she looks ahead, to where far in the distance destiny awaited, whispering to herself. "I have lost something very important to me. Perhaps out here, I will find it."

Last edited by Tarus; 03-04-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 918
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Application; Salt - Human Wizard
right-aligned image
Name: Salt
Race: Human variant
Class: Wizard
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Urchin
Personality Traits: What I lack in grace and courtesy I more than make up for in enthusiasm.
I ask a lot of questions.
Ideal: Aspiration. I’m going to prove that I’m worthy of a better life.
Bond: I owe a debt that I can never repay to the judge who took pity on me.
Flaw: I tend to zone out when other people are talking.
Backstory:

Last edited by Lazer; 03-09-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1850
Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete
Many thanks for the help. I’ve looked at all the Gnomish and Greyhawk deities, and I think I can work with Rao as a deity. I have very little time tonight & tomorrow, but should be able to finish my application shortly thereafter.

Last edited by Arete; 03-05-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:11 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11641
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
left-aligned image

Name: Jheri
Race: Dragonborne (copper)

Class: Barbarian (armored, spear and shield)
Background: guild artisan (masons and stonecutters)

Alignment: neutral good

BackstoryJheri was stolen from her clan home while still inside her egg. Her parent for the first 15 years of her life as a vampire named Gheorghe Belododia. He kept Jheri and about 4 dozen other young men and woman as blood dolls and servants. Among them, she learned the true meaning of cruelty for not only was their master a heartless undead but he encouraged competition between them. One of his favorite punishments for the servant that displeased him to the most was to drain them of nearly all of their blood but leave them alive. Pitting his servants against each other caused them to think only for themselves, sabotage the other servants, and steal from each other. It was a lesson that the young Dragonborne rejected. Jheri was not terribly skilled at political and subversive games, mostly because she refused to harm other people for her own benefit. Yet, she survived, mostly through hard work. Being physically capable, Lord Belododia had her working on the construction crew to expand his keep.

Yet in the end, a party of heroes came to destroy the vampire. A group of mighty clerics, magicians, and warrior raided the keep and destroyed any monsters, thralls, or servants that fought against them. Eventually, the vampire himself was defeated - at least for the time being. To Jheri, however, the adventurers seemed motivated as much by self-interest for the vampire's wealth and treasures as by any sense of honor or service to the greater good. They were also not very interested in having a bunch of tag-along refugees to take care of. The prisoners and servants that they 'rescued' were hastily marched to the nearest town and abandoned to their own devices. And as they were accustomed to doing, they all looked out for themselves only.

Unlike her former brothers and sisters, Jheri tried to integrate into civil society. She found work as a mason now and again, and tried to learn a new way of living - with people instead of in spite of them. Many of the villagers were kind and respectable people. A few definitely weren't. It was the guildsman the proved to be the most despicable in her eyes. They demonstrated that they were only in business for themselves - for the all-might coin. Their goal was simply to enrich themselves and would do whatever it took to be successful. Ethical behavior seemed to be for show only. If it came down to having to do something underhanded to come out ahead, then they would do it without a second thought. This notion that "what serves me best is moral" disgusted Jheri. It was far too reminiscent of the attitude around her childhood home. She knew in her heart that there had to be a better way: something that she learned from the good, kind people of the world. She had trouble controlling her temper around those who were selfish and cruel. She lost a few guild jobs as quickly as she got them and had to move from town to town to look for work.

Arriving at the duchy's largest city, the young Dragonborne offered her strength to a few guilds, the city watch, and (very briefly) the army. A life in service to the protection of others seemed much more noble to her than a life in the service of self-centered greed, especially at the expense of others. She might have made an ideal candidate for service to a temple as a cleric or paladin except that she has no faith in the gods whatsoever. The 15 years of torment at the hands of a vampire thought her that she can't rely on the gods. She and like-minded individuals would have to rise of the occasion and make the world better themselves. She bears a deep hatred for anybody that exploits the weak, harms the innocent, or seeks power and wealth at the expense of others.

Jheri is a warrior without a cause at present. She lives with only has a general notion that she wants to do some good in the world - or defeat some evil. Generally, she tries to be kind and helpful when she can be. She works where she can but longs for something more meaningful. She finds competition to be somewhat abhorrent unless there's a good reason for it. Cruelty of any kind upsets her greatly. Pranks, gambling, and even sports are activities that she won't participate in. When she does have free time, she typically spends it trying to learn to carve figurines out of stone, socializing with people who seem good-hearted, and researching her own race. She's not convinced that she'll ever find her own parents but at least wants to learn about who she might have been if she'd been raised amongst her own clan. She doesn't behave like a typical Dragonborne because she doesn't know what that means. Instead, she tries to parrot the mannerisms of the people around her in an effort to fit in.

Last edited by girlplay; 03-08-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14652
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
Intersted
Old 03-04-2019, 09:24 PM
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1955
Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky
I'm definitely interested!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Hi everyone. I'd like your help with something. I haven't played a warrior-type character before, so I thought I'd try it out and see what I can do with it - stretch my RP wings a bit. So, I'm working on my character Jheri and not sure about something: her class. Sometimes, she feels like a fighter to me, and other times she's turning out to be more like a barbarian. So, can I get some opinions? Not which is the better class but what would be more appropriate to the character's personality, background, and such.

Barbarian or Fighter?

Last edited by girlplay; 03-04-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 451
Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas
Name: Dagmere Earthenhammer
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: War Cleric
Background:
Picture:
Backstory:

Working
Old 03-04-2019, 11:38 PM
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1955
Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky Ganguropocky
(Oh man... I got logged out while typing my application. So... here we go again.)
Name: Teffa the Wild!
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Sorcerer (Wild Magic)
Background: Entertainer (Dancer, Fire Breather, Magician.)
Picture:

Teffa maintains an overall level of silence and mystery regarding her past. She moves from town to town along the continent meeting people, and performing in dance halls, taverns, and public houses to pay her way. Keeping strong connections, and maintaining them over the course of time only makes things... complicated.

Further is her life complicated by a history of magical misfires. Teffa discovered her powers at a young age, and was never properly taught how to use them. Even self-taught is generous in some respects. She grew up learning to go with the wild flow of nature as it coursed through her. Sometimes when her emotions get the better of her, or when she finds herself under stress, he magic, like her personality, tends to go wild. On more than one occasion, the young half elf's tongue and her firey magic have sent her off on the run again. One day, the law might even catch up to her.

Personality: Teffa is a firey, flirtatious, and free spirited young woman. She longs for the road, for excitement, and for a life of adventure. She is, on average, a good person and would gladly reach out to help those in need. Unfortunately for them, the help she offers may be more dangerous than it is truly... helpful.

Growing up on the road, for reasons she keeps to herself, Teffa is world wise, savvy in the way things work and not pray to the naive notions of newly borne travelers. Still, her bright attitude keeps her from succumbing to the jaded notions of those she meets on the highway. Always aiming for cheerful, and always humming a tune, Teffa manages to see the bright side in most things.

Unfortunately, most is not all... and Teffa's emotions can fluctuate as wildly as her magic, which seems to bend to the will of her mood. She feels things deeply, and expresses them fully, and sometimes... the results can be ... troublesome.

(Out of game: I hope to find a place here! I know the slots are limited and I would love to be one of the few chosen! I've played a lot of games play by post, and tend to stick around for the long haul. You can expect, if I'm chosen, for me to be able to post frequently (Even nightly if need be.) as I check the site frequently for updates, and respond as soon as I can.

Thank you for your consideration!)
Old 03-05-2019, 05:39 AM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 195
Vathe Vathe
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
Hi everyone. I'd like your help with something. I haven't played a warrior-type character before, so I thought I'd try it out and see what I can do with it - stretch my RP wings a bit. So, I'm working on my character Jheri and not sure about something: her class. Sometimes, she feels like a fighter to me, and other times she's turning out to be more like a barbarian. So, can I get some opinions? Not which is the better class but what would be more appropriate to the character's personality, background, and such.

Barbarian or Fighter?
I would say the primary difference between fighters and barbarians by story is their typical mindset and the sense of caution vs desire.

In my eye, all barbarians will befit a more reckless personality. People who grow passionate and fierce, and this is what fuels them and gives them their might. They traditionally do not wear armor (but can), and anyone who wouldn't when it is so available would have to be either a bit reckless or odd.

Fighters are instead more grounded warriors, more mundane and less... well simply put, special. They are more likely to have trained under instruction, specializing in a particular martial art. I consider them to be a more subtle and quick people, who find a moment and strike greatly with a sudden motion (but are typically not as aloof and tactical as rogues).

Barbarians would instead simply reave a battlefield at all times with no such tactics (similar to Jheri's dislike of her fellows' subversive games).

Reading her story, I see Jheri as someone who has endurance and physical strength from her arduous work, and who gives off a similar underlying passion typical to a Barbarian's mindset in her ideals.

Rage is not always rage, but a similar passion displayed only when defending one's ideals and way of life.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Re: Girlplay — barbarian or fighter?

The traits I see in Jheri so far is that she is someone who has never been able to trust anyone, and that she is groping for a better way of life but doesn’t have experience of what that better way might be.

To me, the defining difference between the classes is that a barbarian is out of control when she rages, whereas a fighter is disciplined in some sense. Also, I think there’s more scope for variation in the fighter class — anywhere from a military officer to a street brawler. But you can almost always assume that that fighter is trained in their fighting style, even if only through the school of hard knocks.

Barbarians are not common compared to fighters. They can be great characters, but maybe a little tricky to play unless you have a very solid sense of who your character is. I’m in a game with a barbarian who is a great character because his conflict is that he struggles to control his rages, during which he is a danger to everyone, including those he cares about. He is equal parts awe-inspiring and terrifying in battle, even to his allies.

But your character may be very different. Maybe she glories in rages, only feels fully alive during them. Maybe she blacks out, then wakes up saying “What did I do (and why am I in jail)?” How did her vampire master treat her rages? Maybe he was so much more powerful that they amused him, like watching an angry kitten. Maybe she scared him, and he punished her so she learned to fear her rages.

With a fighter, I think you have to consider your fighting style, how you learned it, and how you feel about it. You probably never had a chance to become an archer, for example. Bare-knuckles brawling with the other slaves over scraps of food? Gladiator fights for your master’s entertainment? Did he train you with a weapon so he could use you as disposable cannon fodder against his enemies? Or did your brief army stint introduce you to a weapon? Sometimes browsing lists of weapons helps, if you see one you really like. And do you like fighting, or try to avoid it?

Hope this helps as you think about your character.

P.S. What did your character inherit from her dragon side? Traditionally, copper dragons have a strong sense of humor, whether expressed in pranks, jokes, or riddles, and may be covetous and miserly. Jheri hasn’t had much to laugh about, or to hoard, but do those traits show up in her, or might they develop?

Last edited by Arete; 03-05-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I believe my application is complete.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you, Vathe and Arete. Your thoughts on the matter were indeed very helpful; it's nice to get other perspectives on an idea. I think in the end I'll go with Barbarian because her fighting style, if you can call it that, would be somewhat untrained and she'd be fighting more with heart than with mind. I didn't envision her as having trust issues, however. Instead, I'm thinking it happens more the other way around. Now that she's back in the real world, she expected people to be nicer and for the most part they are. It's a pretty low bar compared to a vampire and his thralls. When somebody disappoints her, however, that's when her ire rises.

Well... I'm off to put these ideas into writing. Thanks again!!