Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 326
AlmostGood AlmostGood AlmostGood AlmostGood
Chronicle of the Independents

NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS

Game NameChronicle of the Independents
Game SystemWorld of Darkness (Vampire the Masquerade V5)
ThemeStruggle with Self Control, Fighting for Humanity, Prolonging the Inevitable
FlavourRoleplay, Investigation, Survival
Plot SummaryYou now have a beast inside of you that will one day takeover your being and wreak havoc. It is up to you how long you prolong this inevitability and what you do with your life in the meanwhile. Now, blood is the only thing that satisfies your hunger and as the beast wrestles for control over you, it becomes ever more difficult to hold on to your humanity.

You are a vampire in the city of Keaton, Maine. Fresh to the secret world of a darkness, you have no conventional sire to educate you and are an outcast to the families that rule over the districts. Taken in by charity, you now have to fight for your place in the city, be it by force or cunning. Important factions may ask for your aid, but your livelihood may conflict with your morals. Every time you uncover an aspect of these secret lives the rabbit hole grows deeper.

Your humanity and connections are slipping from your grasp, how can you maintain them? The vampire's fight amongst each other, will you pick a side? A force seeks to exterminate your kind, can you endure it?
About The GameWho Am I?
Hey there, my name is AlmostGood (one day I'm hoping to make it to PrettyGood) and I've long been a DM for D&D 5e who fell in love with Vampire the Masquerade the moment he saw it. I am however, pretty green on the subject so it will be a learning curve me as much as it may be a learning curve for new players (who are entirely welcome by the way.) I'm running with the mechanics and homebrewing the lore to make a campaign I'm excited about.
Who Is This Game For?
Are you interesting in playing a character who has to come to terms with their new state and how it relates to their previous life? Are you open to having a character that you might lose control of at the roll of a dice then return to deal with regrets and fallout? Are you drawn to the idea of learning the World of Darkness, and being the chosen to investigate and deal with the issues there in? If your answers are yes, then this game is tailored for you. You're freshly turned and your group will be an independent entity running tasks for various families and uncovering the secrets of Keaton's underworld.
Anything Else?
New players are very welcome. I think the system is easy to get used and because you're learning about the world in character you won't need to know any lore from the sourcebook. I came from only playing 5e and found Vampire the Masquerade to be lots of fun. Give it a try.
Posting rate will be at least once a week. Hopefully more when we get excited and post happy, but also setting a healthy minimum for when life gets busy or the motivation is lacking.
I'm aiming to take 3 or 4 players out on this game, but with a healthy optimism that there might be extra groups ran based on how this one goes.
No deadline as of yet, I'm trying to judge interest first.
If there are any further questions (I'm sure I've missed something) lay them on me.
ApplicationName:
Clan: Anything but Caitiff or Thin Blood. Your clan only dictates your starting powers and certain quirks since you haven't been conventionally embraced by your family. You can leave this blank if you want and the Storyteller to assign one. Below are a list of the clans.

Convictions: 1-3 mantras that your character will attempt to uphold even in their afterlife. Below are a list of examples.

Touchstones: A touchstone for each conviction, these are people that respresent the most important elements of your humanity. Losing them means losing a piece of yourself. Examples below.

Ambition: What does your character want to achieve in their unlife. This may change, but lets get a starting point.

Personality: The key points that you feel make your character up.
Appearance: Picture or description.
Surviving Family and Friends: They key people in your life, that you are likely to encounter in your afterlife.
Living History: Just the highlights of your life before you became a vampire.

Last edited by AlmostGood; 03-15-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 501
Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas
Gah! I wish pbp games did anything but Vampire!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 246
Swagbag Swagbag Swagbag
Hi, I've played a bunch of old Vampire the Masquerade years ago. I'm curious to see what 5th edition is about and would love to join. Below is my application, curious to hear your thoughts on it:

Old 03-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2006
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
I would love to submit an application to this.

Name: Darien Alderbann
Clan: Malkvian
Derangment: Object fetishism. Darien possesses an old antique key that he wears around his neck. Whereas before the embrace it was simply a good luck charm he now truly believes it plays a significant role in the function of his soul. When suffering a bestial failure he becomes paranoid about it and suffers the appropriate die penalty as decided by the Storyteller. If ever removed from his person he suffers from any task that doesn't involve retrieving it. If ever destroyed or lost for good it could possibly be replaced with a replica or similar key that his desperate mind would convince him is the original.

Convictions: Spare the innocent. Seek the truth always.

Touchstones:
David Alderbann- Darien's fraternal twin brother.
Sarah "Bright_eye32" Tate- She is a criminology student he met at university with something of a tendency to dig too deep into things she suspects are foul. Roped him into helping with computer and tech stuff after they met on a forum.

Ambition: He wants to gain access to the libraries of elder vampires. He feels that his main detriment is how little he knows and they certainly don't put much online.
Personality: Timid to a fault but eager to get things done. Methodical and intelligent.
Surviving Family and Friends: His brother David and Sarah were the only real people he interacted with in life.
Living History: With a walk out father and a neglectful mother Darien and David largely took care of each other growing up. Darien was quite intelligent and was able to earn a scholarship into university. He even took a double Major in software design and IT. David became a construction worker. His skill with computers and problem solving eventually drew Sarah to him who claimed him as her "sidekick" in her crusades to uncover corruption. He just thought she was pretty. It was during his first year of grad school that he was embraced. He doesn't know by who or why. He was just walking on campus then felt a swift blow to his head. Then he woke up dead in the service tunnels.

Last edited by mjb; 03-13-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Salted, not sweetened.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 496
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Posting to express interest!
Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2451
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
I was looking for a WoD game i was gonna make a Gengrel but seeing as there is already an app for one i will try for something else. The OP says we are new to the WoD, how new are we? did we just get embraced a few weeks ago..years? I am completely new to this system but i want to give it a shot, i have the core rulebook so if it stats something that i ask about i would appreciate a page number so i can look it up.

Application
Name:Alexander Stone
Clan: Tremere
Convictions:
Protect the innocent from harm.
Always keep your sworn word.

Touchstones:
Ash Lombardi- girlfriend in life, thinks he is dead now.
Christopher Keets- Friend since elementary school, served in the same unit in the navy seals

Ambition: To create a safe space where the hands of the ruling families would have a hard time touching.

Personality: Tough as nails when only his life is at stake and will quickly come to the aid of those he considers friends even if it means he will end up hurt.

Appearance:

"When i find the one who bit me and unleashed the beast inside of me, i will kill them. It may take me a thousand years but it will happen."

Surviving Family and Friends:
Ash Lombardi- girlfriend in life, thinks he is dead now.
Christopher Keets- Friend since elementary school, served in the same unit in the navy seals.
Alexa Keets- Christophers little sister, a friend, she had a crush on Alexander.
Moira Stone- Alexander's grandmother and soul surviving relative.

Living History:
-Born to an alcoholic father
-Raised by the streets
-Became fascinated by occult mythos and lore
-Served in the navy as a tech analyst
-Somehow completed the seals training and was assigned to a unit with his friend Christopher
-Honorable discharge after six years of service
-Took some blood red pills from a women at a club after encouragement from Christopher.
-Saved the same women from being raped in the parking lot of the club, his reward was a sharp pain in the neck and then ecstasy....then nothing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alexander Stone.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	79449  

Last edited by Rylus; 03-15-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:15 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to see some people showing interest and I'm so happy with the applications that I am not looking forward to potentially telling someone they can't come along for the ride.

First, @Rylus, you bring up a good few points.

It's my fault for not specifying in the advertisement, but I won't be allowing Caitiffs or Thin Bloods as I feel their low status doesn't fit with the set up I have in mind. Clan is only really for starting Disciplines and Bane, and you won't be heavily associated with your group in the game (unless you seek out such a thing.) Basically if you feel a clan doesn't fit your character, it doesn't mean that the wrong person didn't bite you and curse you with the traits of that clan.

And I guess I should open up the set up a bit more so you know what you're jumping into. Your characters will each be somewhere between weeks to months from the moment of embrace. For whatever reason, your sires have not conventionally taken you up as their responsibility and you have each been taken in by a man named Beukes. He has spent the months before the game starts explaining your state, helping you come to terms with it, and teaching you of your capabilities, but all this time you have been confined separately to a top floor hotel room. So you know you're a vampire, you know the basics, but you haven't hit the streets nor have you actually fed for the first time. I want to explore how your characters react to all these circumstances and have them discover the world as it is.

Also, I'm using the lore as inspiration so there will be tweaks here and there. Assume nothing. Hope that helps

On to Applications.

@Swagbag, it may be my English heritage that makes me support the Londoner, but I like the character and it feel it fits well with what I'm going to present. I'd like to see how such a free spirit deals with the hierarchy of vampires.

@mjb, I applaud anyone who wants to take a run at a Malkvian, it opens up many options. I think the derangement is great, I'd love to see it in action.

@Rylus, I like it, I can already see some interesting points in the touchstones and ambition I can play with. As I said, slap a clan on it, and I'd like to see how he does.

@Marshmallow, I look forward to your application.

and finally @Nikolas, be the change you want to see in the pbp games. If there's something you want to see, I'm sure there's a crowd for it.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2451
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Well crap, there goes my idea...hmm maybe a Tremere, they don't really fit with what i wanted but i think they are the closest. The abilities are a bit screwy with my character as well, is there any way to get Auspex, Obfuscate, Blood Sorcery or Auspex, Celerity, Blood Sorcery? if not oh well i will try and make it work.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:36 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Rylus If those are the abilities you're interested in, Tremere looks like your best bet. You start with two points in one Discipline, and one point in another, so you could focus on Blood Sorcery and Auspex. After that start, there are ways to unlock different disciplines. So with a little work and patience, you could get whatever third Discipline you wish.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:37 AM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks! Malkavians are kinda tricky but I figured that sort if derangement would be workable.
Actually now that you mention it do we even get the predator types and their bonus? You mentioned we are haven't even fed yet and are very new. But kindred wake pretty hungry from the embrace as I understand and we have been holed up. So how are we holding up right now?

Last edited by mjb; 03-14-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@mjb I'm going to hold off on choosing a predator type and relevant perks until characters are comfortable with feeding in the narrative.

Your characters have been drinking bagged blood, so their hunger is not out of control, they just haven't taken the plunge on picking out a victim and method for drinking yet. Because of this, you all start at level 2 hunger.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Non Paradisi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2083
Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen
I love me some vampire. Quick question though: Is Keaton a real place? I looked it up and got nada.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Raizen Completely made up, to make things easier. I have a base layout, some districts which clans rule, but its a city that can grow around our needs. If one of you thinks up a place that needs to be there, we can work it in and make it Canon.

It's on the coast. I'd describe it as one of the busier cities in one of the quieter states (said a man who doesn't live in America.) Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:41 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah I tried to google it. Just kept getting Michael Keaton. The most disappointing of the Batmans.

Last edited by mjb; 03-14-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Non Paradisi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2083
Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen
Okay, I see where you're coming from. Whenever I think of Maine all I can think of are those creepy fishing towns from all the horror movies I've seen, so it fits!