... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Not all who wander...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 42828
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
I'm nearing forty and I have a blast at Candyland because my daughter gets so excited every time we play it. She doesn't even care if she wins. She just wants to pull the character cards and jump up and down.

My recommendation for games to play with kids are to look for cooperative games rather than competitive ones. The one my family likes is Unicorn Glitterluck: A Party for Rosalie... but, again, biased toward a 4 year old girl's preferences. We also really enjoy playing games like Pictionary where instead of forming teams we just take turns pulling a card and drawing, so it's sort of an 'everyone wins and everyone has fun' dynamic.

For groups of adults, I also prefer games that don't 'eliminate' players and have some degree of cooperative element. My favorite thus far has been The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31, but Resistance, Secret Hitler, even Werewords have been favorites of our family-and-friends group at various points. They're all centered around cooperation with hidden 'baddies' that attempt to deceive and mislead the good, honest, God-fearing, tax-paying players.

Sometimes I write things.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12955
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozuba View Post
They're all centered around cooperation with hidden 'baddies' that attempt to deceive and mislead the good, honest, God-fearing, tax-paying players.
For this kind of thing, I also highly recommend the One Night Ultimate series. For as much time as my kids have spent playing One Night Werewolf with family and friends in the year or two since we bought it, it is easily the best penny-per-minute value I've ever gotten for dollars spent on entertainment. I might actually have to buy a replacement set soon given the wear on the cards.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
eikrelminoa
For the most part I agree with this. "Regular" games can be a bit dry and overplayed. However, we have had luck with more recent and complex board games such as Pandemic, Mysterium, Clank, and others. I feel like game theory is advancing and building on itself, and gamers are smart.

I also still like card games. And playing the "mainstream" games are still fun with my kids, but only because I assume the role of teacher and I like watching them have fun.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Nemesis Nemesis
I recently purchased a 1980s copy of Scrabble. I play a lot of complicated, Euro-style board games, yet Scrabble is one that I love the most.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:53 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59393
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
When you play a 1980's Scrabble game, can you not use words like google, podcast, and tweet?
Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nemesis Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
When you play a 1980's Scrabble game, can you not use words like google, podcast, and tweet?
Hah! No. That would make a good variant.

I'm talking about the physical game itself. It's from the late 1980s. I ordered it on eBay, and it smells like it lived in the basement of someone's grandparents' house.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate
Scrabble is where it's at! I love the old game boards. I have a couple of classic versions of Monopoly that look fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I recently purchased a 1980s copy of Scrabble. I play a lot of complicated, Euro-style board games, yet Scrabble is one that I love the most.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:06 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nemesis Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginate View Post
Scrabble is where it's at!
Seriously. I play a lot with my SO on the phone, but there's nothing like
breaking out an old board and playing with real tiles. We usually use the
dictionary on our phones to check words, but I'm tempted to find an old
dictionary and use that as the only reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginate View Post
I have a couple of classic versions of Monopoly that look fantastic.
Neat. Which version? You must really like the game if you have multiple copies.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:07 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12955
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Was "tweet" not a word in the 1980s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikrelminoa View Post
However, we have had luck with more recent and complex board games such as Pandemic, Mysterium, Clank, and others.
Me and my family enjoyed Pandemic for a while, but that's one where you can get good enough at it that it isn't so much of a challenge, even when you stack the deck against yourself and pick the worst roles. We put it away and will bring it out again after we "forget" enough of our strategies.

My son's been nagging me to play Advanced Squad Leader with him, but he's only 10. I feel like the ASL rules could be a course of graduate level study.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nemesis Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
More than likely. A pack of birds "twittering" about in a tree predates actual Twitter.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:48 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59393
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
No, it was not. I lived in the '80's, and no one ever used that word, ever, anywhere, anytime, for anything. It might have been used in the 70's, but Reagan banned it in the 80's, and Bush kept the ban in place until '92. It was a disco word, and when Thriller debuted, it stopped being used for a decade. Michael Jackson killed it. MTV used it ironically once, and that was it. Everyone in America refused to use it gain. It wasn't hip. Or hep. Or Jive.

Okay, well maybe it was, like Birds Tweeting and stuff. Tweety Bird too.