Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Belated Greetings

I neglected this august tradition when I first began posting at RPG Crossing. Now that I have a chance to catch my metaphorical breath, I am remedying my oversight.

I am Gordo. I am an old man. I have been playing RPGs for 35 years, give or take. I am an educator and administrator by trade, and I have two real-life RPG groups that meet twice a month each. My student group prefers D&D in all its many iterations and clones. And my geezer group prefers Call of Cthulhu.

There is a Mrs. Gordo and two Gordian Spawn. Mrs. Gordo is also an educator and a (semi)professional musician. The Spawn are gamers. Mrs. Gordo is not.

Nice to meet all of you.

Last edited by Gordo; 12-03-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59392
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome (belatedly)!

Glad you decided to say Hi here, even if you've been around a bit. Nice to have you go through with the formalities (although I am not sure I ever did, myself... now that you mention it...)

Happy continued gaming!
Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26026
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome to the site Gordo! I hope you find some great games and enjoy interacting with all the fine folks who hang around in the hallways of RPG Crossing.

There was an educator here who actually assigned his classes to PBP games as writing workshops . We had plans to go further with that, but unfortunately he passed away before we could develop it further. That was a few years back, but I still think that's there's a teaching and literacy angle to PBP that would be very interesting to develop....
Old 12-04-2019, 02:18 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20814
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Better late than never they say. Will any of the other members of the Gordo clan be joining us here? We're 13 and older around these parts and the more the merrier!

Do you have any questions for us now that you've had time to settle in? Anything you'd like to know about the site, how we do things, or about any of the members?

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
Happy continued gaming!
Thank you. It was my Teaching Fellow who suggested I try online gaming by post. Apparently, if I don't get enough mental breaks throughout the day, I get "irritable" and "draconian."

She's probably correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birched View Post
That was a few years back, but I still think that's there's a teaching and literacy angle to PBP that would be very interesting to develop....
Very interesting. I'm intrigued by the notion. I myself am a languages man, the deader the better, but I administrate in the humanities. I know that one of our English faculty is a gamer. He is one of the geezers mentioned above. I'll talk to him about the idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
Will any of the other members of the Gordo clan be joining us here?
I hadn't considered that possibility until just now. It isn't a bad idea. The older of the Gordian Spawn is the writer of the two. She might enjoy playing by post.

Thank you, all, for the warm welcome. If I have any questions, I'll post back here.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 201
FeralWombat FeralWombat FeralWombat
On the back of both you and Birched mentioning the teaching angle of roleplaying games (especially PBP as writing exercises), my old English teacher got me and a few friends into D&D a long very time ago. I wrote better then than I do now but I credit him with opening my eyes to the pleasure of writing for fun and it's actually stood me in good stead. Never underestimate the meaningful impact a good teacher I guess.

I was curious about your tag line Γόρδιοι δεσμόι. I'm embarrassed to say I only speak two languages: English and bad English. However, I do love classical history, so the Latin feature on google translate gets a workout. What does Γόρδιοι δεσμόι stand for? Gordian Ties?

Anyway, it is lovely to meet you and hope you have as wonderful a time on this forum as I currently am.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:53 AM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralWombat View Post
I was curious about your tag line Γόρδιοι δεσμόι. I'm embarrassed to say I only speak two languages: English and bad English. However, I do love classical history, so the Latin feature on google translate gets a workout. What does Γόρδιοι δεσμόι stand for? Gordian Ties?
Sadly, the origin of all the trappings of this account is lame, but you essentially have it correct. My Teaching Fellow (hereafter Igor) was the one who encouraged me to try out online gaming. She, in fact, found RPG Crossing and created this account for me. The avatar, the profile picture, the custom user title, and the email she created are all references to the legendary Gordian Knot.

I keep a replica xiphos (sword) in my office to amuse and occasionally educate my students. Last year, shortly after Igor came to work for me, I was headed to class and stopped off at her desk with sword in hand. She looked at me, looked at the sword, and then looked at me again and said, "Gordian Knot?" (a reference to Alexander cutting the Gordian Knot with a sword). I replied, "Knots," and went on to class. It has been a running joke in our office since then.

Also, my EA amuses himself (and others?) by putting sticky googly eyes on things around the office suite. That is, I suppose, why my avatar is a cropped picture of the famous Berthélemy painting with a googly eye.

For the record, in the 4th century, when the alleged knot-cutting took place, they would almost certainly not have rendered the plural as Γόρδιοι δεσμόι. (Your failure, Igor, has not gone unnoticed.) "οι Γόρδιου Δεσμόι" would be far more likely.

Last edited by Gordo; 12-05-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 201
FeralWombat FeralWombat FeralWombat
Oh! That's excellent! Gnah, I'm kicking myself for not putting two and two together about the knot. I myself am a gladius man. I once attempted to cast a leaf bladed sword when I was younger, but once my mother found me melting down her decorative bronze pots, a promising career in blacksmithing and manufacturing was tragically cut short. Male parta male dilabuntur. I guess.

An old boss used to keep a severed knot on his desk to remind himself (us) of his "3B" philosophy. Namely, "Be Brilliant, be brief and be gone".
Old 12-05-2019, 07:14 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26026
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
As opposed to the "2B" philosophy, which is to always use a 2B pencil on musical scores so that it can be easily erased without damaging the original. Important not to get those two confused.
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21165
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
A very belated welcome from me, apologies for the delay and wowwwww you do have a lot DnD going for you right now!
Your resume is impressive Sir.
Have you been cruising the site yet and found some games you would like to join or are you going to DM us a game?
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birched View Post
use a 2B pencil on musical scores
That is a language that I don't speak. Music is the domain of Mrs. Gordo and the Spawn. I don't have any of those genes or inclinations. But I am continually impressed by those who do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
you do have a lot DnD going for you right now!
It is not as much as you'd think. I meet with the student group for seven sessions in the fall and nine sessions in the spring. We only play D&D for one of those. I can't do a whole year of D&D. Last semester we played an Eagle Eyes game for Fate Core set in Constantinople during the reign of Julian the Apostate. We are playing an episodic D&D5e game right now. Next semester we are playing Night's Black Agents for nine sessions. We are on session 23 of a Call of Cthulhu (6.x ed.) campaign with the Geezers. We will finish probably in January. I'm not sure what we'll do after that, but it likely won't be D&D of any stripe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Have you been cruising the site yet and found some games you would like to join or are you going to DM us a game?
I am running a game of 5e. I chose 5e because I figured it would be my best chance of getting players because I am such an unknown quantity. I am inquiring about the possibility of running a Call/Trail of Cthulhu game as well.