Game Thread Chapter Four: Complications - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: S-V > Seis'kerta > Trials of the Young King
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,181
Morgan's face goes momentarily thoughtful.
He cant immediately decide how he feels about that. How different would a mother's feelings of affection and loss for her missing son be when it was drow? How much of it was loss of her son versus loss of her son's unique abilities? Morgan can't imagine she'd turn over the godforge for her son's recovery. Or would she? And that didn't even take into account Xu'deln's feelings on the matter.

For now he simply didn't know enough about the drow in general and, more specifically, Xu'deln or his mother to guess.

"You're looking to cut a deal of some sort with her?"
Or hold him over her perhaps.
"If you'd like I'd be happy pass a message on to him when I see him next."

Morgan wants to make a facetious comment about "if you don't want to talk about something, don't get evasive. It makes people curious as to why you're being evasive."

"Di. Considering he's our guest and under our protection it might be rude to go blabbing his identity to others, especially since we already knew his family was after him."
Morgan himself had intended to say nothing more than that he was a drow escapee.

Xu'deln, a man currently the guest of the halvan king, is the runaway son of the most powerful mortal drow alive. A spellcaster who seemed the most likely caretaker of the Godforge shard that was guarding the drow city's anonymity by using two captured paragons. He was currently the apprentice of none other than Shade, arguably the most powerful non-god in all of history. The one who was asking about him was one Samael, another of the Survivors.
It was clear now that the situation called for more than the minimum of caution.

"Moving on. Do you know who the Sword in the Dark really is? And how many pieces did Shade break the Godforge into?"
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old May 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Syoban shakes his head. "Not yet. As I said, we 'have reason to believe'. Until we're more sure of things we don't want to play our hand. I appreciate the offer though." Samael looks oddly troubled as they continue to discuss Xu'deln, although he doesn't add anything to the conversation.

"It's back scratching Morgan. He outright said earlier that they wouldn't reveal everything and you heard him pick his words carefully just then, most likely so as not to reveal how they got that information. Do they have a spy amongst the Rilyn'und? A slave? Or just someone who has ties to Xufaer? Besides, if Samael can see into the palace - which we know he can from information they possess - then it would be just a matter of time before they found out about him. This way we play nice so that in the future they'll be more inclined to play nice. It's all politics."

Syoban goes back to grinning when the Sword in the Dark is mentioned. "Blink said you were interested in meeting with the Children, although given the fact that you knew enough to ask that question you must have spoken with Ksenia." The Rudaa glances towards Blink. "I still think we should have taken those memories. If Morgan can-"

There is an almost threatening tone to the Trueforged's normally level voice. "I work for Samael to protect my kin. While I will lie to them, omit the truth and otherwise deceive them no harm will come to them under my watch." His unblinking eyes dart towards Wainraith briefly. "Ksenia only spoke of it because it is Morgan. He is a friend of my family, even if he had never seen most of our faces until recently."

Syoban doesn't look convinced, but drops the subject, turning back to the Archmage. "To answer your question: we believe he is almost certainly Coiya Halva. I could go into the many why's, but if you're asking then you'll have the same ones, except for one." His grin widens. "While we were never able to actually speak to the Sword in the Dark himself, I did speak with his son." He glances to Samael who conjures up another image. This time it was a young man with the eyes of House Halva, however his eyes were not the only familiar feature. Take away the stubbly beard, an inch or so taller than Wainraithtaller frame, Elven ears and those eyes and he looked uncannily like the portraits and statues of a young Vulcar Halva I. "He called himself Bane, as did most others, however one person did call him by another name while we were there: the name of Coiya's younger brother who kept trying to compete with him, despite Coiya besting him at pretty much everythingKevian. He was also a Godling of not insignificant power, and what the Children call an Eye in the Dark, although what exactly that is I don't know."

After allowing a brief pause Syoban continues. "But that's not all my friends, because one of the reasons we chose to meet here is because I have brought with me the means to find the Children in the Dark. They travel around a lot so normally we'd have to spend ages trying to find them, but with what I brought with me I can open a portal here to wherever the nearest recently opened portal was made near one of their camps."

When that had been sorted out, Samael answered his last question. "Shade hid three shards, although if you count Sanctuary itself then there's four pieces of the Godforge, however the piece within Sanctuary is not like the others - it is what controls Sanctuary."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]

Last edited by Makenshi; May 28th, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
OOCRight. For some reason when I made a minor edit earlier it took away a big chunk of my post. Fortunately, I had copied it before posting, so it's back up as it was originally written.

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:17 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,181
Morgan wants to say something about how he's well aware of the political move Didina was making, he was questioning whether or not making nice with Samael was worth annoying Shade and Xu'deln. Still what was done was done, there was no point arguing it now.

Instead Morgan turns his attention to the squabbling duo.
"Syoban Syoban, you'd think after having your head chopped off for betraying the Ruuda you'd have figured it out. It doesn't matter how well thought out and rational your argument, rational has nothing to do with it. You don't mess with people's family, not without consequences."

Yet again it all came back to family. Nevh and her Kinship, Didina and her father, him and his family, Zilira, Vulcar and the rest. Zera's entire idiocy could probably be traced back to his sense of betrayal at his abandonment by his family.

"In my experience making friends usually wins out in the long run over making enemies. Give it a try."

When it appears Morgan examines the image of Kevian with great interest.
"Ok. So the Children opened a portal to here recently? And you want to leave right now?"
Morgan frowns.
"A little warning would be appreciated. I had planned on making certain preparations before going on that particular trip."
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; May 29th, 2012 at 04:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Syoban doesn't look entirely convinced by Morgan's words but makes no effort to continue the conversation.

Syoban shakes his head. "No. The Children didn't open a portal here. Zera did. The item in my possession works by re-opening the tears created whenever a powerful portal is open - such as that created by a Gate spell - and connecting it to another such tear. To find the children, I just need a magic item created by them, which I have, and it'll take me to the nearest portal to the creator of said item. In this case, said item was created by good old Bane here, so hopefully either his dear father will be nearby or he'll be able to contact him."

The Rudaa leans back, lacing his hands behind his head. "Well, make whatever preperations you want. I don't mind waiting a little while. But I'm going to see the Children today with or without you, and I don't know when I'm going to have time to take you in the near future since things seem to be speeding up. It's only a matter of time before this turns into another Betrayer Wars at this rate."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]

Last edited by Makenshi; May 29th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:35 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syoban
"It's only a matter of time before this turns into another Betrayer Wars at this rate."
"If we're lucky."
Good to see I'm not the only one who can feel the patterns forming.
Morgan frowns at Syoban. Why was he intentionally making this difficult?

Hmm it's a little after noon. If I used the bedroll I'd be able to re-memorize some of my spells, the ones cast at dawn, in three hours. Not any of the spells cast since then though.
It almost wasn't worth it.

Wait, which scrolls had Mr. Tock made for him again?
He flips his pack open and reaches in to pull out several scrolls rolled together into a single roll. Silk tags stitched into the bottom of the thick velum indicate generally what sort of spells the scroll contains. He flicks through the scrolls until he hits one in particular. A blue tag indicates an abjuration spell while the number five indicates it's a fifth level spell.
"Well it looks like I've got my escape clause ready." He glances at his allies. "Unfortunately I won't be able to provide for the rest of you, so if we get stranded on the Shadow Plane you might wind up on your own."

"Very well Syoban, I can go with you right now, but some warning ahead of time would be appreciated next time. The Plane of Shadows isn't exactly the sort of place one wishes to just wander off into on a whim."
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
That means to reach the children had been prepared for their meeting was telling. If anything, they hadn't planned to go there alone this time around.
"I suppose that if I should find myself lost in the Shadows I would be able to return somehow. Not particularly worried. I am ready."

Nevh wasn't exactly agreeing with minute parts of what Morgan had said but as far as Xu'deln was concerned she didn't really care; the young man would do as he pleases, or as those vestiges please, but she had no intention to push one way or another. Likewise, most of the discussions about these other people's business were somewhat interesting to know but matters she wanted nothing to do with.

A bit later while they are somewhat at a distance from the rest, she'd ask Syoban; "Still got your records on the Betrayer Wars stashed. Since you're alive and everything... want 'hem back?"

Last edited by Blue; May 31st, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:03 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,181
Though he doesn't know it Morgan's thoughts run in a similar vein to Nevh's.
I have a feeling Syoban feels we have a better chance of befriending the Children and Coia. The price of his help is being associated with that and being included in the discussion and transfer of information. Riding our coattails to Coia's good graces so to speak. Does that sound like something he'd do Nevh?
Morgan pauses, mulling it over.
Seems acceptable.
As long as didn't make a complete and utter arse of himself the last time around, when he went with N-err Ksenia, it should be a significant help overall.


A certain impish part of him had wanted to obstinately refuse accompanying the Syoban just to teach him a lesson. It wasn't that he would actually do that, it would be stupid, possibly dangerously so. It was the same self-destructive part that spoke up when you stood at a ledge, urging you to jump.

Speaking of which.
"Samael, I was hoping to ask you a question in private before we dive into the great black yonder." Morgan nods his head towards the back room. "If that's not too much trouble."
Once she's given her assent Morgan fishes Zilira's pendantsomething from the inside pocket of his vest and hands it to Nevh and makes his way to the kitchen, closing the door behind him.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:35 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Syoban grins in response to Morgan. "You'd be surprised. The Plane of Shadows is much safer than it has been for a long time - provided you're not an enemy of the Children of course - and if you get stuck then I'd expect they'd be willing to send you back, though you might have to wait until they can afford to use up the magic."

Didina wrinkles her nose at the idea of going to the Plane of Shadows. "I think I'll leave the running about in the dark infested with people who hate Fiends to those of you without prominent demonic horns."

Misa gives a sigh that clearly says she has heard this before, however she's beaten to it by Blink. "Most Children have some Fiendish blood of some description. They've even had the children, grand-children and various descendants of Fiendish Deities among their number. Not to mention the fact that their God - assuming he is who we think he is - is the grandson of Ashtarte and the son of a Demi-Goddess who began on the Fiendish side of the Demongate Wars."

Syoban nods. "They don't care about blood. About your family. About your past. What matters is who you are now and who you intend to be. That was the way they described it when we were there."

Didina still looks unconvinced, while Misa appears to have given up trying to persuade her to go. Alyyryk, meanwhile, appears eager. "I'll go."

Didina gives him a sharp look. "Aren't you supposed to be staying close to the Princess?"

Alyyryk returns the sharp look. "I'm also supposed to be somewhat involved in these investigations, yet this is the first time I really find myself involved. If it will be some time before I am let free of my leash again then I intend to make these moments count."

Syoban thinks for a moment before responding to Nevh's question. "Hmmm...I don't think they'd have anything I'd really need, but it couldn't hurt. Knowledge is Power and all." He gives her a familiar grin.

Misa appears to agree with Morgan. "Either that or our presence will otherwise help. Do we really need their help though? You said that before someone else took them, right? Why don't we just get them to take us too, instead of going right now?"

"Politics." Is Didina's unusually succienct reply.

When asked to speak in private, Samael gives Morgan a penetrating look before giving a slight nod of the head. As the Seer leaves he makes no attempt to leave with him however, instead returning his attention to the others.

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 02:02 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan W
Does that sound like something he'd do Nevh?
Nevh's telepathic intonation seems almost amused.
Certainly sounds like his style. Could as easily be something else, though, like another kind of trade.

To Syoban's reply she just nodded with something like an approving glance, her comment sounding more like an affirmation than a rhetoric question. "Ain't it."
At least it meant it shouldn't be too difficult to meet up again.

Morgan trusting her with the pendant was a pretty obvious gesture, to her at least; he didn't want Zilira prying into his conversation with Samael. For some reason. It gave a good hint on the topic of the conversation and he probably knew he'd be hearing about it later. She didn't seem surprised by the image of Samael not leaving them, considering he wasn't really there to begin with. He could probably hold two conversations simultaneously without much effort.
Oh well. None of my business either.

While she waited for everyone to get ready Nevh would chop a mostly undamaged plank off some furniture (likely mostly damaged, but would take it off the bar otherwise) before retreating to a corner, taking out her obsidian knife and begin to lazily sculpt some kind of drawing on the surface to get through the boredom.

Last edited by Blue; Jun 1st, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 03:20 AM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,181
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:14 AM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,181
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jun 23rd, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]

Last edited by Makenshi; Jun 3rd, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,181

Morgan is gone perhaps five minutes, maybe a little less. During that time not a sound can be heard, even amongst the most keen eared among them. Then the door to the kitchen opens and Morgan reappears mid sentence.
”- bringing a lot of it together. The stage is being set but do we trust the director? I expect Xu has a major part to play. The question is whether he has an idea what that part is and isn't saying anything, or he isn't even aware of it. I will of course keep you or your people informed if anything does come up.”

Morgan turns his attention to the others.
”Sorry about the wait. All done now. Let's go drop in unannounced on a godling then pester his father, that should be fun.”
Morgan retrieves Zilira's pendant from Nevh with a brief nod of thanks.

To Nevh's practiced, and probably reflexive at this point, appraisal Morgan looks rather... Normal. Maybe a little relieved but not any angrier or happier or sadder than when he'd left.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB