Game Thread Chapter Four: Complications - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: S-V > Seis'kerta > Trials of the Young King
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nevh had to admit that they appeared to be well organized as far a surveillance went.
Unsurprising, of course, but seeing a part of its mechanism was inspiring. There were ideas there that could be adjusted to other purposes. The handsigns in the dark reminded her of the Kigo Kinship. Most anybody could make up a sign language for tactical efficiency within minutes. Such didn't need to be too elaborate unless it there would somehow be a strange need to actually converse in silence without telepathy.
On the way there she remained as quiet as she had yet been. She was ready to fight her way out at any sign of hostility and so her concentration was on her surroundings and those they passed by in the tunnel. There was always a chance that one or more of the Children had been taken over by Zera, and could report to him their presence in the Shadow plane. She was attentive to any relatively odd behaviour.

She glanced at Bane when he was mentioned, then returned her attention on the fight.
What came after the spar didn't interest her. Their exchanges in combat had been more revealing of who they were than anything they had said yet. That they had to wait for the spar to end made sense considering she was most certainly Coiya's daughter, or a descandent of his, at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainraith
He always said that the entire purpose of training is supposed to prepare you for the real thing, so it should mimic it as closely as possible. Pain and blood and everything.
Nevh winced slightly. Some things were that couldn't be prepared for. Others were that couldn't be prepared for with training alone.
"You can prepare a man to fight and die but there is more to combat than that."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainraith
"She's skilled, very skilled, but she's treating it like training, not the real thing.
If it is supposed to be treated like the real thing she shouldn't be trying to win head on, fair and square, where she's at a pretty obvious physical disadvantage, she should be trying to win period. He's got something going on in the head." He glances at their mask wearing guide "Bloodlust?"
"I'd say it is more of a fiendish influence thing. The beast inside taking over. Sort of like with the Darkhearts."
The way she fought didn't feel to her like it was about winning fairly. It felt like a plain old case of simply wanting to win. She was quick and thought it would be enough, the occassional moments she had the upper hand encouraging her to maintain that strategy. Being fair or not probably didn't even cross her mind.

When the half-fiend later revealed as Toy came to them, Nevh felt drawn to him as most everyone else probably was. That attraction was frustrating and conflicted with her personal tastes, leading to a small part of her wanting to cut him down where he stood to make it stop.
Who he was born to and his relatives don't matter, only what he does now, so you need not fear alienating him from us.
It was interesting that who he was related to indeed mattered, but not in the sense that he might have meant. They weren't short on things to fear but their alienation wasn't one of them. They didn't want to fight Syoban's war but might want to know that they were on the edge of their own war before it came to them.

Yet they hadn't come to speak with them, and as such she had no words to spare for the chatty Child.

Last edited by Blue; Jun 11th, 2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Wrooong name.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Toy seems surprised at Morgan's insights. "Geld finds it difficult to spar without trying to kill. Decades of fighting for your survival will do that for you. That's why I pulled him away before he could cleave Min in two. No sense wasting magic reviving someone when they don't have to die in the first place."

When Morgan offers his hand Toy looks down at it for a moment before looking back up, though this time at Syoban. "Shaking hands is how many Freeborn greet each other." The Rudaa explains.

Toy nods in understanding but makes no move to take the offered hand. "Then I am pleased to meet you too Morgan Wainraith, but I don't touch. If you knew what I was capable of with a simple touch then you'd probably be more hesitant to offer it anyway." [Knowledge (the Planes) check to make an educated guess on what he is exactly based on this remark and his appearance.]

It is obvious by his expression that he's not familiar with the Ahekan addages about assumptions, which is probably not surprising. "No. Not really. Should I?" Once that matter was dealt with he would consider the group for a moment before speaking. "Bane would know better than us about Coiya's feelings." The Face who had escorted them gives Toy a dissaproving look, presumably at the use of the Sword in the Dark's real name rather than one of his titles.

Just at that moment Bane suddenly looks up as if someone had called to him and looks in their direction. He glances from the Face to Toy for a moment before heading over, soon to be followed by the masked woman, the tall man, the girl and the man who talked in the third person. The latter was still berating the girl for her decisions during the fight. As he approached, they noticed another oddity about the tall man - namely that instead of a single pupil he had a cluster of eight tiny pupils, almost like the compound eyes of a spider or an insect. [Knowledge (the Planes) check to recognise what he is.]

All of them had a single sword other than the tall man, who had two of those giant swords, and when Toy turned to greet them they saw that he had one strapped to his back as well, although they couldn't see how he could possibly draw that quickly or comfortably in a fight.

All of them appeared to be carefully examining the group, which was making Didina visibly nervous, which had the effect of making Misa wary for her sake. Bane is wearing a relaxed looking grin not unlike Syoban's as he approaches and even begins with a very friendly remark to Lekan. "Nice mark Alyyryk. Why the change?"

The friendly chat and its implications throw Alyyryk off guard, though Syoban is quick to explain. "This is Lekan Alyyryk of the Kashyyn. Identical twin to Lytas Alyyryk of the Lycast, who you met before."

Bane frowns slightly. "I thought he and the girl were twins?"

"We're a triplet." Is Alyyryk's eventual contribution. "You...you met my brother and sister? Recently?"

Bane nods, smiling slightly. "Mmm. They came here before with Syoban and some others. While Syoban was sticking his nose into things they spent time with the ordinary Children, and they probably learnt more about us than Syoban." He grins again, glancing towards the Rudaa. "So why is it you're helping them out then?"

"We have a mutual enemy who is also a potential threat to you and your people."

"The 'Zera' you mentioned before?"

Syoban nods. "Things have...taken a turn for the worse since I was last here."

"Somehow they always do." Is Bane's almost sarcastic response. Before Syoban can continue he looks back to Morgan. "Fine then, if you want a private word with me then come, but anything you want to say to my father you can say to me and my sisters first. If it warrants his attention then he'll show his face anyway." He turns to regard the Face who brought them. "You can return to your post now, thank you." He turns to Toy, the tall man and the other man. "You'll have to wait out of this one for now." The girl opens her mouth to say something but Bane quickly cuts her off. "Swordbrothers or no, this does not concern them yet. Just be glad I'm dragging you along instead of kicking you out with them." His threat sounds more like a brother's teasing than a genuine desire to keep her out of the loop.

Syoban seems a little surprised. "She is your sister?"

The masked woman finally speaks up. "We both are. I am Cipher, eldest of the Sword in the Dark's children. Bane you already know of and this is our youngest sister, Min. Come, we can be assured of privacy in one of the inner chambers, but first, if you would check them brother."

Bane nods and begisn to cast an Analyze Dweomer spell although it is not until he completes it and begins holding up a hand to them each in turn that they realise he does not have a focus for it, although the ring on his outstretched finger glows for a moment as he looks over each person. Some kind of artifact perhaps?

"They're clean of anything dangerous. Just what you'd expect any sane person to come into the Plane of Shadows prepared with."

Cipher nods and gestures for them to follow, while the three siblings walk a little ahead, although Min soon drops back to walk beside Blink with a grin on her face. "I did as you said."

Blink looks confused. "Pardon?"

She continues to grin. "About how you walked on the walls when you were here before. It took me a year or so but then I finally understood what exactly you meant." She gestures to her legs as she suddenly begins to walk not on the floor but a few inches above it with no visible effect.

Blink looks startled. "You...you learnt how to scorn the earth from that?"

It's Min's turn to look confused now. "Why? Is it wrong?"

Blink looks at a loss for words so Syoban swoops in. "My dear friend here is just surprised that someone so young mastered it so quickly without any formal training."

"Oh." Min still appears a little dissapointed by the reaction.

"Would I be right in guessing that you are a Godling then?"

She nods. "My powers are still maturing though, which is why I'm still not good enough to beat Geld, though when I first started sparring with him a few months ago he took no time to beat me." She sighs. "Not that Bird seems to care."

Bane chuckles. "That's because Bird is smart enough to know that if you rely on your Godling powers to beat everyone that when you face an equal you'll fail hopelessly." He glances back to give his sister a significant look. "Remember, father was only a Godling when he killed Lynka, so don't think that because you're stronger than everyone else that means you can't be killed. It just means everyone considers you more of a threat and will try that much harder to kill you."

As they talk they are lead out of the main chamber and through some similarly lit corridors, into smaller chambers and through more corridors. All about them Children are going about various day to day chores, although many make some passing comment to one of the siblings and a few follow for a while to chat to one or more of them. Cipher and Bane attracted a little more attention and conversations than Min, although in Bane's case it was mostly friendly chats while people came to Cipher for advice. Both were happy to talk unless the conversation carried on too long, in which case they would cite pressing matters and apologise for having to leave. All in all, it was obvious that all three were held in great respect by the Children, and more than a few held the older two in awe.

Eventually they came to a heavy pair of doors - one of the few doors they had seen in the caves actually - which Bane and Cipher moved open easily despite the fact that judging by their thickness they must have been very heavy. Inside is what appears to be a meeting room of sorts. A large stone table takes up most of the centre of the room, and there are stone stools placed all around it for seats - all of it seemingly grown from the cave itself. There are also bits of parchment and sime trinkets spread about the room, but it is obvious empty. The three of them take a seat - with Bane propping his feet up onto another stool, quickly followed by Min doing the same, before Cipher gestures for them to sit. "So what is your business with the Children and our father?"

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 03:40 AM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,189
Morgan greets Toy's reluctance to shake hands with an amiable shrug. His mind was locked against all but the most powerful of effects, but that didn't mean there weren't other dangers Toy could present accidentally or intentionally.
"No offense taken."
In regard to assumptions he says.
"There's an old saying that if you assume you make an ass of you. It's a play on the spelling and pronunciation, and also a decent bit of advice about how acting on incorrect assumptions can come back to bite you in the ass."

When the children of Coiya approach Morgan turns to face them directly. He feels a subconscious need to measure up in their eyes. Without thinking he straightens his shoulders and lifts his chin to look them full in the eyes as they approach, searching for something he couldn't quite put in words.
So these are Zilira's grandchildren.

He greets these others with a short bow.
"A pleasure to meet you ladies and gentlemen. Morgan Wainraith, Seer and Archmage of Halva."

When they split off Morgan says goodbye to Toy.
"If we get a chance I wouldn't mind chatting again before we leave. I'm sure the others will get tired of me flapping my lips before long."

As they walk Morgan pays active attention to the things going on in the cave, curious about their lifestyle. Eventually though he feels compelled to interject in Min's conversation with Bane.
"Apologies for interrupting Min but I believe the reason Bird isn't satisfied is because you're missing the point of the exercise.

It's not about you getting stronger or good enough to beat your friend Geld. That's important yes, but not the point of this particular exercise. It's about how you face an opponent, any opponent, that's stronger than you. It doesn't matter how strong you are or how quickly you get stronger because there will always be someone stronger. You don't do it by Despite what cartoons/anime/movies might suggestfighting harder. Even if you did win the fight by fighting harder you'll still have failed the exercise.

I grew up the diplomatic mage in a family of warriors and prodigies. It didn't save me from having to learn how to defend myself so I quickly learned how to fight from below. You're proud of your abilities, and well you should be if you've worked hard and suffered to gain them. But if you can't put aside your pride and do to what it really takes to win then it will eventually get you killed. In a real fight you might or might not survive loosing, and generally speaking you're fighting to accomplish something and loosing the fight means failing in your goal and any people that are depending on you to accomplish that goal.

Don't be too proud to fight dirty and try to figure out how to win the fight before the two of you even step into the ring. Can you find loopholes in the rules of the duel? There might be some put there just for you to find. If it's no holds barred what sort of advantages do you hold over him that you can exploit? You already know your opponent so you're half-way there, the rest is just being creative.

I once won a training fight with two pounds of fudge. Err fudge being a very heavy sweet dessert type food, I suppose something extravagant like that wouldn't be too common around here. I brought it to the training grounds and shared generously with the other trainees. My opponent really liked sweets and ate enough before the fight that he made himself ill. I won despite his advantages in terms of skill and strength without breaking any rules or even really tricking him into it, I just made the fudge available. I gave him a chance to beat himself and he took it."


Morgan smiles at the memory. He chooses not to mention that despite being sick to his stomach Rhys still nearly beat him, nor that nowadays that wouldn't be nearly enough of an advantage for him to win again.

His face grows sober.
"And the truth is if Geld is smart he won't get upset at you for exploiting his weaknesses.
He'll thank you for it.

I don't know about you but I'd much rather my friends point out my weaknesses to me in training than have my enemies do it in a real fight with real consequences.

The lesson within the lesson is that once you're aware how easy it can be to beat someone stronger than you with good planning, preparation, and dirty tricks you'll be more aware how they could be used against you. You'll pay attention to people you might otherwise consider too weak to be threats."


When they reach the Children's chosen meeting room Morgan waits for the others to take a seat and get comfortable before he clasps his hands behind his back and begins talking.

"Well the main thing is that we want you to know what is going on, simple as that. Yes we'd like your help, but that doesn't necessarily mean breaking your taboo about coming to the mortal plane, or even fighting against those other than your chosen foe. Making sure you're well informed of what's going on on our side might help make your own chosen labors easier and you might have information that will help us.
I wasn't kidding about us being unable to discuss certain subjects with anyone but your father. It has to do with bindings and people who have been to certain places. Your father should know what I'm talking about."


Morgan sighs. No point stalling.

"I don't know what Syoban and you have already discussed so I'll just hit the major points, feel free to ask questions as we go.

Zera is a Halva bastard, we don't know of who yet, but exactly who isn't terribly important at the moment. He's obsessed with taking the Halvan throne for himself, and considering that after he purge he arranged during the Betrayer Wars the royal line now consists of Vulcar the 2nd, his sister Zephyra, and their mother, he doesn't have far to go.

He's gained access to Sanctuary and captured two of the Paragons, Airis and Malvain, using shards of the Morgan pauses briefly to check that they knew what the Godforge and Sanctuary areGodforge to make himself immortal in a manner similar to the Paragons themselves. Further he is-"
Morgan's gorge rises almost in time with his anger, and his voice hitches momentarily "-begetting children onto Airis and then using them to fuel the Godforge for more creations, artifacts and such.

If that weren't enough he's gotten his hands on one of the five daggers that Asharte bound the Elder Demons to. He's found a way to release Yostrah, the Blood of the Void, into a human host. The result is a pale shadow of the original if the histories are accurate, but a pale shadow of an Elder Demon is still enough to be a major threat all on her own even if she were not working for Zera. She's also probably the reason that Trolls are gathering from across the continent, likely the world, and then disappearing, presumably into Sanctuary.

Further your great grandmother Lolth is still alive along with a sizable population of Drow. Lolth took another piece of the Godforge, captured Ciilla and Sarlorne, and used them to hide the Drow from the rest of the world down in the bowels of the earth. This is a recent discovery so our information is pretty spotty as to what sort of machinations she has going on. So far predations that we're aware of have been have been restricted to slave hunts and "biding their time" while the drow built up their numbers for some vague idea of rising up to conquer the surface. I suspect there's more to it but that's what her drow followers believe.

Vulcar the second has also chosen this time to put out a very public call to the other realms of Ahkea to recognize the threat the Fiends represent and renew and redouble efforts against the various fiendish influences.

Oh and if you didn't know there's a war broken out between Sharak and Shali. Vulcar is marrying the Shalian princess, nice girl, so we're going to wind up joining in on that as well. The Sharakan's are the ones heavily influenced by the fiends. In fact their armies are being led by Demios."


Morgan pauses there, giving everyone a chance to absorb the information and ask any questions they might have. The mage reminds himself to ask about the Salting the Earth incident once the opportunity arrived.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
While Morgan puts everyone to sleep with his training speech that sounded quite like a longer version of what she had already been told, Nevh considered Cypher with newly found interest. The eyes had the dark prying eyes, scouts; the hands were mostly combatants; the faces had masks for some unknown reasons. It was interesting to see that each child of the Sword had one of the three roles. Bane being the Eye, Min the Hand and Cypher the Face. She could take a guess at the level of importance of each role within their society by the order Coiya's children had taken the roles. Getting an idea of what the faces were could be educating.

The process of fiend-souling also seemed popular amongst the Children. A tricky business but it meant that the necessary daggers could be found in these caves and perhaps those could be of use. After all, Yostrah had been bound to something very similar.

After Morgan detailed the situation, given the sheer amount of information, Nevh thought it might be worth emphasizing a little what might be the actual concern as far as the Children might care.
"Aye. Yostrah's out and we do not know where the other daggers are. There might be more Elders on the way so we thought we'd cut them down before they become as troublesome as they used to be, enslave Aheka and become all yours to deal with. We dare hope you might be interested in collaborating in taking care of that Elder before it comes to that, while the problem is still manageable. If not, well, we'll try to cope. No pressure."
She spoke calmly, if not a little nonchalantly. She tried not to sound sarcastic as it wasn't intended. The situation was alarming but she wasn't overly concerned with whether or not Coiya and the Children would dirty their hands for the cause - even thought she really hoped they would.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
This time it is Cipher's turn to look surprised at Morgan's insight, or rather sound surprised since the mask blocked her face. "Wise words well spoken." Bane simply nods in agreement while Min looks thoughtful at Morgan's words.

They wait patiently for Morgan to finish explaining the situation and for Nevh to add her bit, before replying. Cipher takes the lead again. "We are aware of much of what you have said already. We have another Freeborn guest with us at the moment who has warned us of amny of the same dangers and wants our help dealing with Zera in particular."

"Did they give a name?" Didina asks.

"Yes, but it is not ours to give to you. We will arrange a meeting if you wish." She turns her attention back to the group at large. "She did not mention another Elder Demon having been released however, so-."

"Wait." Misa interrupts. "Did you say another?

Bane nods. "We know of one who operates out of a demiplane he created here in the Plane of Shadows. He is an ally of ours for the most part, however most Children dislike working with him or his...followers."

"Ally? How is that possible? The Elder Demons were the ones who originally enslaved mankind, weren't they?"

Cipher answers this time. "Yes, but this one, Nehrahk, is no more an Elder Demon than he was the man before. The personality of the man had much greater influence on this new being than the Elder Demon. He has been gathering an army of Fiends with the intention of waging war against the Fiends. Unfortunately due to his desire to do so in secrecy it is a slow proccess."

Didina frowns in confusion. "He's going to perform a coup against Ashtarte? How does that make him our ally? She coup'ed against the Elder Demons and it didn't exactly help us."

Bane smirks. "Nehrahk's presence has a strange effect on Fiends. Simply put, the longer they're in his presence the more they become like him. Think of it like domination except there's no way to dispel it - he is changing their very being on a fundamental level. Shaping them into defenders of humanity rather than its enslavers."

"How long has this Nehrahk been around for?" Didina asks, almost hesitantly.

"Almost sixteen years."

"Great. So much for that timeline if its for this Elder Demon rather than the Yostrah one. We've no idea who she is or how long he's had her now."

"This Elder Demon you speak of-" Cipher begins. "-you said she is gathering Trolls and working with Zera?" After confimring this she nods. "I see. That is worrisome, especially if she should ally with Sharak or the Fiends." She opens her mouth to speak again but stops in her tracks and instead looks to the side. At first they don't see anything of note but a few moments later a pair of grey eyes appear in the middle of the air, followed by the dark outline of a tall man. "Father, these are the guests I told you about."

The Sword in the Dark stood a few inches taller than both Morgans, and slightly taller than Bane, while his features were a blank slate apart from his outline and his eyes, which were assessing the group. He takes his time looking them all over before the darkness around him dissapates, revealing a tall Halvan Half-Elven man with dark hair and the mis-matched clothes and armour typical of the Children. "If you are who you claim to be, then you will be able to answer these three questions. First, what is the name that the guardian of the reigning King of Halva prefers to use for themself? Second, how do you reach their resting place? And third, what is their opinion of The Art?"

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]

Last edited by Makenshi; Jun 12th, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
The revelation on Nehrahk was a great relief. This meant that if the Elder Demon's daggers could be found, their power could be used against the fiends the same way Zera was using it for his own sake. The idea gave her a strange sensation. Perhaps an intuition. It was a strange coincidence that her wishes fitted the possibility so well.
If the occasion would show itself, she knew what she'd do.
As to that other female Freeborn guest, she could hazard a guess that it was a Sei, Siva, Aldamil or even Shosanna.
She was curious none the less. "A meeting would be appreciated, yes."
If that was all they knew exchanging information wouldn't be so profitable but there was the possibility of finding new allies they weren't aware of. Those seemed to be hiding under every rock lately.

OocThe following is done assuming the oath does not silence parts of it. If it does she'd simply shrug and go on. I don't remember if the ring is used to open the tomb so I'll scratch that part if it isn't.

She took a good look at Coiya, unsure of what she was expecting. In her mind it was pretty much the One King + Zilira but she expected but somehow that was less awe inspiring that she expected it to be. For some reason she imagined it would had been similar to how she felt when she met the drow goddess for the first time. Maybe it was just the now frequent meet of Powers that made the whole thing lose its charm and appeal. At least it was still stimulating.

The singular of guardian and the genderles plurality of themself made the question very vague. Not say that the reigning king did not lack for guardians.
"Your first question is very ambiguous. She prefers to be called Zilira and sort of rests in a crypt that was revealed with the sword and the ring. There is also the First Legion, I think they still call themselves that, that apparently still protects the king and there refered to the Covenant. You reach them with an oath, mostly."
There was also the Shadowhand among other and there was technically themselves as well but she didn't really feel like giving pointless answers. Though it raised an interesting question...
She looked at the others. Raising an eyebrow. "Do we even have a team name? Anyhow. To the third, I'll just say: Bat ѕhit. 'Pretty much sums it up."


She rubbed her chin, something coming back to her now that Coiya was there.
"Which reminds me I had a message for you: 'Get your finger out of your arse and start acting like a man you immortal bastard. With love, your baby sister, Shosanna.'"

Last edited by Blue; Jun 12th, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher
"That is worrisome, especially if she should ally with Sharak or the Fiends."
Still standing before the seated godlings Morgan interjects one comment into Cipher's spoken thoughts.
"It's Zera. He "prepared" the host to insure she would be easier to control after bonding. I'd put money on it."

When the gray eyes appear Morgan pauses to watch. His clasped hand, behind his back, slowly clenches and un-clenches and his eyebrows come together to a stormy frown.

He neither bows nor introduces himself, Coiya knew who they were by now.

To him Coiya seemed a man, a great man, but in the end no different than any other for all his bloodlines and powers. Granted the only ones who'd shaken him with mere presence had been Jester and Fisali. Jester mostly because Morgan saw him as a potential angry father and Fsiali only after he'd already shot her with a Moonbow and realized who she really was when she spoke with that terrible voice. In both cases he'd gotten over it quickly.

It was a reminder that in the end he really was a man, not a legend, and- like any man he makes mistakes.

Still it's nearly all he can do to keep quiet while Nevh responds. He wants to mention that Shosanna's Batshit comment probably originated from Zilira herself. A momentary relief from the bottled anger, but only momentary.

"Now. If that is sufficient sir I have a question or two of my own."
He takes a deep steadying breath.
"WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?"
For a moment Morgan himself is surprised at his own outburst. He'd originally intended to try to feel things out gradually. The memory of Zilira's eyes as she lay beside him, speaking of her missing son with quiet hurt in her voice, rises in his memory and gives him more than enough strength to continue.
"Do you have ANY idea what you've put your mother through?
The slightest clue of how terribly she misses you, and how horrible she feels about what she was forced to do to you? Still!"

As far as he was concerned they were alone in the room. No Nevh, no Blink, no Cipher, no one but him and Coiya.
"If you had to leave you had to leave, by why on earth and beyond did you have to leave her in that terrible limbo? Until a few days ago she didn't even know you were still alive, that you'd found a purpose and reason to continue, that you've apparently found someone you care enough about to have more children. She had to take it on pure faith that what she did didn't kill her own son a little at a time.

And now? Now she gets to wonder why you didn't care enough to pop in or even send a message.
"Oh hey, didn't die in a dimensional ditch somewhere. Can't really talk about specifics but I'm back on my feet and found a worthy cause.
Regards, your son."

What the hell is it with you people that you can't *&$!ing man up enough to deal with others? Cause shutting it might be easier on you, but it's sure as hell worse on others."


Speaking of being considerate.
The mage takes a deep breath and one long step to the side, away from the others.
At least I won't get any on them. Unless it really splatters.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
As Morgan began his rant, Nevh swiftly drops a hand on his shoulder. Hopefully something that would be enough to bring him back to his senses. Whispering to telepathically.
Do not shame him before us and his family. What does that make of you? Your situation does not make you his father. If you've the right to do this, it certainly isn't the time for it.
She tightened her grip and shook his shoulder gently, then released it.

Whether or not he would go on was on his conscience now. It was none of her business but it annoyed her to have to listen to all that sentimental crap when there were better things to do.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Coiya nods, seemingly pleased enough at the response. "The Convenant does not protect the King but the nation itself and the Royal line, however I'm not surprised you don't know that. I'm actually surprised that you've even heard of the Covenant, and that you are speaks vollumes of the seriousness of the situation. The motto of the First Legion is 'no survivors' after all."

When Nevh mentions Shosanna Coiya's attention snaps back towards her, obviously taken by surprise. "Shosanna is alive? How?

"Well, not alive per se." Didina replies.

"What? Then how..." Realisation seems to dawn on his face before being almost immediately replaced by anger. "Seneca."

His children seems concerned by his sudden anger and obvious concern about his sister. "What is it?" Bane eventually asks.

Coiya glances towards his son, and then his daughters before giving an angry sigh. "Something I can't speak of with you yet. It concerns the Covenant I spoke of." He glances towards Nevh and Morgan. "Which means there will definately be things we need to discuss in private."

Despite his previous outburst of visible anger at the news of Shosanna's existence Coiya remains calm during Morgan's tirade, waiting patiently until it seems as if Morgan has finished and silencing each of his children whenever they seemed about to interrupt the mage. "The short answer is because I am a complication and a theat. The long answer begins with me asking just who in the hells do you think you are? Evidently you're close to my mother, since she's not one to discuss her feelings lightly, but you know next to nothing about me beyond legends and what my mother has deigned to tell you. Do you make a habit of shouting at someone you've barely met about the situation you know only a fraction about as if you yourself were involved? Let alone someone who you've come on behalf of your King asking for help from?"

He doesn't give Morgan long enough to answer any of the questions, getting steadily louder and louder as he continues. "Did it occur to you, with all that you've discovered about House Halva and the protections, secrets and history around it that there might be a reason I have not contacted my mother, who is bound by powerful magic to serve whichever King sits on the throne and tell them all that she knows? I care about my mother more than you seem to think, and I also care about the Children in the Dark, and it is because of both of them that I have remained away from Aheka, away from my mother, despite wishing I did not have to." He takes in a deep calming breath, although there is still an undertone of anger to his voice. "If you're done talking about things you know next to nothing about then we should discuss the matter at hand and leave private matters for another time."

Coiya and his children aren't the only ones that look angry about Morgan's accusations, with Didina looking more than a little annoyed. "Seriously, that's how you start a conversation with him? Are you trying to win a bet on how many Deities you can piss off before one of them smites your smart-mouthed arse or are you just f*cking insane?!"

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]

Last edited by Makenshi; Jun 12th, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 02:47 AM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,189
Morgan maintains eye contact as Coiya says his own piece. His hands remain clasped behind his back, knuckles white, and his stance is combatively wide. He gives no response to Nevh or Didina's mental communication, nor does he even acknowledge that they've spoken at all. Mortimer is crouching low on the pack, trying to make himself as unobtrusive as possible while glaring daggers at the back of his master's head.

He makes as if to speak half-way through, but is cut off by the former king and subsides rather than try to talk over him.

The shoulder beneath Nevh's hand is tense but he begins to relax as Coiya continues. It almost seems as if Morgan's anger subsides as Coiya's voice rises. By the time the Sword in the Dark finishes with his final question Morgan is almost entirely composed. He hadn't intended to fly off the handle quite that badly but he had intended to nettle Coiya. That he cared enough to get that angry about it meant that he still cared quite a bit about Zilira, it was a good sign.

He answers the last question with a short sharp nod.
"I look forward to another time then."

He takes another deep breath himself.
"Continuing where I left off.

Zera has also been hunting down and capturing Seers for a currently unknown reason. It may simply be in hopes of avoiding being compromised by a random vision, or there may be some deeper reason.

The Oracle left Ikra for the first time ever to come to Halvana and make some announcements at Vulcar's engagement party. She is collecting all the remaining willing seers, and as of the day after tomorrow Rincala will be shut off and shunted into another plane until such time as the situation is resolved. The Oracle has put Lelian Sheddeth in charge as the new ruler of Ikra.

Not too long ago we spoke with Shade, where he was both direct and informative, even offering information unasked. I think you're aware how out of character that is for him, even Ghost said it was the most direct and accessible he's been since the end of the Demongate Wars."


His eyes sweep across all those gathered.

"Add it all up with everything I said before, consider how much there likely is going on that we don't even know about yet, and you've got one hell of a storm brewing. The fiends and your family are right at the center of it. As much as I'd like to believe someone will come up with some clever trick that will let everything be wrapped up neatly in time for the proverbial tea and biscuits I doubt it will happen."
His eyes go back to Coiya.
"You said I was here to represent my king and ask for help. That's only half right. I never said I was representing Vulcar the second for a reason. I'm here to ask for help, but not for Vulcar the second. It's for my friends and family, the people in the city and country I live it. The people of Shali who are suffering and the people of Sharak who have been tricked by Cinn. For the folks who've been enslaved by the drow. The Ikrans who are loosing their Oracle and gaining a vampire overlord as the lesser of two evils. Pick a group, any group, and I'm here in hopes of helping them. You and your people too, now that I know they exist. They live a hard life, are in constant danger, and face a task that seems ridiculous in scope, and do it simply because it's the right thing to do. I admire that and if there's something I can do to help without ignoring the big picture I'll be there in a heartbeat.

I'm not trying to win you over with some trite "we all need to work together" speech. It's just the truth. And the good of everyone outweighs that of any individual or group, even the group I belong to."
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nevh looked at Morgan as if he had turned into a giant dancing and smiling purple worm straight from some dreamleaf induced hallucination.
Her tone of voice was a little dry, but didn't sound too serious.
"...I think I'm gonna cry."

There was only Wainraith to try the big patriotic speech right after scolding his audience like rotten fish.
It wasn't a bad speech, per say (even though it was kind of corny) ...only... the mood had been lost for her.
She pursed her lips, then grinned coldly.
Thinking on it she didn't believe they really 'needed' to work together. It'd certainly make things easier but as long as the sword in the dark pointed its tip at Yostrah (and Zera, to avoid new problems in the same vein) and did their thing she'd see the Shadow trip as a great success.

Last edited by Blue; Jun 13th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,189
Morgan sighs.
"Yes yes. I certainly wouldn't want to deny you the opportunity to get in a snide cruel snipe."
He sticks his tongue out at Nevh.
Silent for most of the conversation and now she decides to get b!tchy. I wonder what's eating her.

He turns his attention back to Coiya and his children.
"For right now the main thing we need that is information.

There's an event I'm calling "the Salting of the Earth" in Sharak. At the end of the Betrayer Wars a group of Shalian people poisoned a much of Sharak's croplands. According to Shade the whole thing was engineered by Cinn and her children. It makes sense since they were the ones ready to jump in and provide aid, and it's a large part of how they managed to get such a large foothold and influence in Sharak.
The Shalians who did it apparently disappeared from Ahkea and were probably taken to an infernal realms. Do any of you know anything about it?

If I can find some sort of proof positive that Cinn was behind the whole thing we might be able to not only cut the trouble between Sharak and Shali short, but get the the Sharakans to recognize just how badly they're being used."
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
After listening patiently Coiya gives a sad sigh. "What proof? Do you expect them to have written down their plans and signed them? Even if you can find one of the people responsible do you think their word will be enough? One of the first things my father taught me is that people believe what they want to believe, not what is true. A sad fact of life but a fact nonetheless."

"The Shalians are probably either a part of the inner circle of the Fiendish cults - which means they'd be difficult targets and might even already be dead - or they were disposed of in the Games, the Blood Pits or in some other way that is entertaining to the Fiends soon after they dissapeared." Cipher explains. "Kaeyin sent various people who plotted against him to their deaths in such events after all, to send a message to those who might think to plot against him again."

Didina gives Cipher a curious look. "You seem curiously informed of an Ahekan King's actions."

"Kaeyin is an ally of the Fiends and a traitor to his own kind." There is a cold hatred to her words as she speaks of Kaeyin, making her opinion of him clear and standing in stark contrast to her generally diplomatic tone. "We have been keeping an eye on him and his family for some time. I have even met him myself on more than one occasion."

"I thought the Children weren't allowed to set foot on Aheka?"

"Not exactly." Bane explains. "We don't get involved in Ahekan affairs, but we do keep an eye on some things - the cults mostly. Faces like my sister find it easier and safer to operate in the Ahekan cults than those in the Fiendish Planes for example."

Coiya turns to Min. "Fetch our other guest please Min." The youngest of the Godlings looks a little put out on being sent on an errand for a moment, before accepting the task and vanishing into the darkness just like her father had appeared. Coiya turns his attention back to them. "What has become of Aldamil? We have heard contradictory information regarding her well-being, whereabouts and her loyalties."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
That made her smile slightly.
Your willingness to become such a good friend of the Children is admirable. "If there's something I can do to help without ignoring the big picture I'll be there in a heartbeat". I'm sure they'd love to have you around after your outburst. Though... they do fight most battles in hell. Lucky you!
She wasn't usually in a teasing mood but it helped her ease out of the tension of the moment and diminish what frustration she might still have over Morgan's behaviour.

Getting the incident sorted out felt like a good idea to fix a lot of things without much bloodshed but it seemed easier to her to reverse the harm with a similar deception. Stage an event that would bring the warring nations back to better terms. Not easy but easier.

"She left Sharak and was recently reported to be in hiding. Probably somewhere well warded to avoid detection. We can still communicate with her so meeting up could be arranged. She has linked up with her exiled uncle who missed a coup a good while back and everything seems to indicate that she turned her back on her father. In Sharak they are trying to maintain the belief that she is unwell and still at home, though there is always the possibility that it is a trap to plant Aldamil into their enemies' confidence for information and the eventual well set dagger in the back. I do not think it is so but it remains possible."
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is online now
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,189
Oh good I get to hear more about her limited violent worldview. Joy.
The mage feels his temperature rise another degree.
There's a lot one can do to help others that doesn't involve putting a knife in someone. I'm sure they would never want information, especially if I had access to someone who Eloise's favored enemyhunts down fiendish cults. And I'm sure you noted their patchwork equipment. I wonder if a dozen sets of good armor and some high quality Kairan steel weapons would be of help? I could have them ready by tomorrow at a third the cost of buying them. Or maybe a bit of no-questions asked sanctuary for one of their agents in Ahkea.
Not having trained with them and not knowing their tactics or sign language I doubt they'd even want me along on something like an assault on a hellish enclave, I'd just get in the way. And if they 'really' did need the help? F@%k yea I'd do it.

Now I'm trying to regain my calm, you are doing the opposite of helping. Please kindly shut up.


Morgan can't even remember how many cruciform longswords, breastplates, and shields he's crafted for the church. He feels like he could do it in his sleep.

Determined to keep focused on the task at hand Morgan moves to clarify Nevh's answer.
"I've been in in more or less constant contact with Princess Aldamil and a close friend of hers since convincing her to attend Celes and Vulcar's engagement party.
She is currently in hiding, believing that either her father or one of the fiendish groups would take her into custody, "reeducate" her, or maybe even kill her off after speaking out against the war and her father's actions."

That Coiya was getting conflicting reports was a good thing, it meant she was doing a good job of hiding.

"As far as her being a trap." Morgan tugs at his beard, this was something he'd mulled over repeatedly since the whole thing started. "It's possible, and I intend to remain cautious, but I believe it to be highly unlikely. I contacted her but the whole impetus came from the Oracle's comment about Aldamil not anything the Princess herself did or said. In addition a few of the things that make me believe her to be a safe bet are close to two decades in the making, they'd be a lot of time and resources put into engineering a very slim chance of any return.
If she is daddy's little villain then the attack on Celes and Xander makes no sense. Either she'd have attacked with the fiends, and probably gotten the lot of us Celes included."
If they'd gotten Celes as well as Xander they would have wiped out the Alexin line, a major victory. "Or she'd never tried to attack and capture us like that, since it made us much less likely to approach her. She'd have at least tried to talk first."
Vulcar had taken quite a bit of convincing before he'd allowed Morgan to even start the process.
"As of right now I'm trying to convince her to work with Mirik Orn and a friend of mine in an attempt to find a solution of their own to the Sharak/Shali war. As of last night she hasn't given an answer yet, but she hasn't had long to think on it either."

He raises an Eyebrow at Coiya.
"Why do you ask?"
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jun 14th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB