Game Thread Chapter Five: Everything Changes - Page 10 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: S-V > Seis'kerta > Trials of the Young King
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #136  
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nevh sat there and listened.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
OOCSorry, fell asleep again. Don't even remember thinking "I'll just close my eyes for a moment" .

"Daggers." Aldamil corrects. "Halva has one and I, not Sharak, have the other. I have entrusted it to the protection of a neutral party for now."

"What happens when you use a dagger?" Tiaan asks Nehrahk. "Are you an amalgamation of Nero and Khehkanon?"

Nehrahk shakes his head. "I am neither Nero nor Khehkanon. I have their memories (though the latter are difficult to process) but I am entirely unique entity. In terms of personality you could say that Nero had a great influence over me, although we are not the same. Think of him as my 'father' and you will not go far wrong in your expectations."

Niafem looks concerned as she speaks next. "So if, for example, a Halvan patriot became a Hybrid its likely the Hybrid itself would be a patriot?"

Nehrahk seems unsure. "Not necessarily. As I said, I am not a copy of Nero, however our core ideals are very similar, so it is possible that such a Hybrid would inherit that patriotism. Unfortunately I can't really help with that since Nero had lost faith in Nero was Shalianhis own country. Still, I would suggest that if you intend to seek volunteers that you accept those who put people before any individual nations."

Mirik speaks up next, looking between Vulcar and Aldamil, his voice concerned. "So would you two be willing to give up your daggers for the greater good of Aheka or do you intend to create weapons like Zera?"

Vulcar shakes his head. "I will keep the dagger safe until we can find a suitable willing volunteer. That doesn't mean I am going to hand it over right here and now though, but you needn't worry about my using it to create my own 'living weapon."

Mirik and the others look expectantly towards Aldamil, although there is a pregnant pause before she responds. "Given the scope of the threats we face - and the threat these hybrids pose - I agree with Vulcar. For now, I am happy with where it is, but if a suitable volunteer appears then I don't intend to hold it back to create someone loyal to me or Sharak."

"We're in the palace now." Zilira's voice sounds amused. "We've also picked up another surprise for everyone, though I suspect only the Elves will recognise her."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Apparently she'd have to get a talk with Aldamil before long. There were good odds she had acquired the 'dagger of the heart', which happened to be her preference. This promised to be really awkward.

Nevh turned at Zilira's announcement, expecting that Eve might have been made whole again.
She had to wait further for Zilira to get through that cliffhanger.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 09:03 AM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 26th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niafem
"So if, for example, a Halvan patriot became a Hybrid its likely the Hybrid itself would be a patriot?"
Morgan adds his own thoughts on the subject.
"Let's say Vulcar uses the dagger on a Halvan patriot. What happens if Zera manages to kill off all the other Halvan royals, does the patriot support him? What happens if three hundred years down the road Halva pulls a Sharlan and suddenly Halva no longer exists? What happens if saving Halva means selling out to the fiends and screwing over the rest of Ahkea?
I would like to mention that even if the hybrid were loyal to one group or person to begin with, it in no way guarantees that this will always be the case. They are obviously not unthinking automatons, they're people of a sort, and people change.
That's why I agree that we need to find hosts who have the good of Ahkea as a whole in mind rather than that of any one particular group, especially considering how long term a decision this may be.
I was going to suggest we start looking at the Sei for potential candidates."

Which brought Morgan's attention around to Mirik's comment.
"Your question begs the question of who would they turn the daggers over to? Which individual or group gets to decide what constitutes the greater good?"
There was a danger in Aldamil's statement.
"Princess Aldamil. Your phrasing raises the question of whether you intend to put your and your country's welfare above the welfare of Ahkea as a whole? I freely admit that Sharak is in a particularly precarious position, and the dagger may seem like a good solution to the problems at hand, but is that sort of use the best in the long term?"
This was the point where the talks had the potential of breaking down. Hopefully it would go the other way and Aldamil could use it to wring concessions and aid in return for allowing a collective decision, as Morgan hoped would happen with the Dragonblaze's dagger.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
OocI'll break within my previous post, considering Morgan's retort. I'm not really at ease with Zilira leading the conversation elsewhere without action going into it - hard to tell if it'd fit better to add this before or after since I've no idea of the time between her response and the current discussion so I'll just assume this all happens before she speaks. If needs be we can keep track of both subjects separately, as we've done before.


Nevh wanted the whole Dagger of Defiance ordeal to be a private thing. No more people in the know to feel sorry for her than necessary and the last thing she wanted was to be remembered as some kind of hero. It could have been so simple.

Now things were escalating to the next level and Morgan was doing everything in his power to turn it into the large issue that it was. More and more people were getting virtual rights on the decision. It was bothersome and growing unnecessarily complex... but she bitterly had to agree that it was the right decision. Nehrahk had been made between shadows and even he had chosen to go public, the world opening to these hybrids was probably a better idea than keeping them as hidden aces in the hole. Now was a good moment to prevent the people of Aheka from being alienated with them when their nature could be concealed no longer.

As Morgan had suggested it was probably also for the better that she addresses the matter publicly, instead of privately.
She felt weakness in her legs when she tried to stand and failed to get off her chair. Mrith turned to her, concerned and a visibly wondering what just happened.
Looking her now she realized bringing her with her had been a terrible mistake. Most of all she did not want her family to know, but she hadn't planned on giving voice to her wishes at the meeting.
She tried to remain quiet, whispering.
"You must leave now. Return to the embassy and I'll join you when we are done here."

Her sister glared at her with dismay.
"You must be kidding. I'm having a ball here."

She was going to rebuke her but, obviously seeing it coming, Mrith held her head high, looking down at her with defiance.
Nevh knew her authority over her was all but hollow, and so did she. She was Quallish but, at the same time, wasn't truly. She was second in line for succession but everyone within the House knew she and Mel would both outlive her, making her status as heir of the House little more than a courtesy.
It was pointless to insist.

She could feel frustration rising, lodging under her jaw and swelling there. Tapping into it, she could perhaps feel the strength to keeping going despite her presence by serving her the dish she wanted in punishment.

Hands on the table she pushed herself up, looking at Aldamil.
"Then it won't be necessary. I volunteer."
Eyes looked up at her, aghast. "...what?"

"I do love my country, but across all of history we have always been neutral. Moreover, I agree with ideals of the Sei. The world as a whole must be defended, else no single nation is safe. I will always serve the world first."
She felt her resolve as she spoke, and what began as half-muted words slipping between trembling lips became adamant and passionate.
The rapid pulse of her beating heart made her feel for the energy flowing within as keen as how she experienced it within the heat of battle.
It gave her vigor. She realized that, in a sense, she had just entered a fight for her life.

Last edited by Blue; Jun 11th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Aldami looks puzzled. "And how is that? I said that I would not withhold the dagger for mine or Sharak's personal gain."

Before there can be further discussion on what Morgan said Nevh speaks up and even Vulcar looks surprised at her words, or rather her very public declaration of intentions since he would have been aware beforehand. There is also a great amount of confusion, which Mirik is the first to give voice to. "Forgive me Ambassador, but aren't you being a little hasty? We've only just learnt of these daggers and you're volunteering to die by one of them."

Composed once again Vulcar answers for her. "Actually, the Ambassador has been aware of the daggers for some time as she has been working with Morgan Wainraith and others to help me get to the bottom of all this."

"Others?" Jester raises an eyebrow. "Anyone we should know about?"

There is a slight pause before Vulcar nods. "Very well. Ladies Didina Reid and Misa Serokai along with Archmage Wainraith, Ambassador Nevh and Alyyryk of the Kashyn have been the primary investigators. There have been many others helping in one form or another, but that could easily fill up hours of time to fully explain. I originally gathered them together to investigate an attempt that was made on my life by Alyyryk's brother. An attempt that we later learnt was orchestrated by Zera, who had utterly destroyed the man's mind and memories, although what exactly he wanted out of the attempt we still aren't entirely sure."

More than a few eyes look suspiciously at Nevh at this news, perhaps thinking it fishy that someone working with the Halvan king was conveniently volunteering to become a Hybrid.

Mirik almost looks amused by all the twists and turns now. "Well, this is certainly proving to be an eventful gathering as promised. Perhaps-"

"I volunteer too." This time it is Jar's turn to look at his sibling with shock, while Lekan looks on with a stony face as he stands up. "I am a Kashyyn, a guardian, and Aheka could do with a guardian now."

"NO!" Jar slams a hand on the table as. "Zera has already taken Lytas and Kelta away from us! Would you really share their fate and forever be denied rejoining the Circle?"

Lekan looks grimy at his older brother. "I walk the path towards death already brother, all that is left is choosing when, how and why I die. The Oracle herself said that one way or another I would be dead within a year at the very most, but she also said that my death could help give this world its best chance to survive what is coming."

Jar doesn't look as if he believes that, or perhaps he just doesn't want to believe it. "No seer is perfect. Not even The Oracle herself, and that's presuming you didn't just misinterpret her words."

"Actually..." Jar isn't the only one who looks surprised as Lalian speaks up. "...this is one of the matters that The Oracle advised me on before appointing me as the new High Lord. She was as certain about what she saw as Alyyryk said."

Jester frowns. "One of? Care to enlighten the rest of us?"

"No. The Oracle told me what to look out for and left explicit instructions not to interfere otherwise. She didn't want to prod things when they didn't need a little prodding and even knowledge of what 'may' happen can influence events."

"This is all well and good," Jar interrupts. "But there's still-"

Whatever Jar was about to say is cut off when one of the great doors to the hall slams open. Standing in the open space was a dark brown haired Pharean man with sparkling green eyes, boot still half raised as if he had kicked the door open, and a wry grin on his lips. "Apologies for my lateness. If I'd known such a gathering was about to happen then I wouldn't have faked my death when I did. Honestly, getting a bit of time to yourself is such a pain these days."

More than a few people look ready to cast a spell at the intruder, but Alainn's surprised outburst stays their hands. "Alnei?!"

Alnei's grin widens. "In the flesh. Or...well...the flesh-like composite of metal, wood and various alchemical substances designed to accurately mimic flesh and bone." He steps into the room, with more than a little swagger, and two women follow him, both familiar to Morgan and Nevh.

For a moment, Tiaan looks like he's going to comment on Alnei's presence before he notices the two women. "By the Zodiacs." He looks from Zilira, standing in her natural form (albeit a foot shorter than normal) to Shosanna before finally resting on Morgan. "I see you weren't exaggerating now, Morgan." He looks back again. "And I can't wait to hear the explanation behind this."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]

Last edited by Makenshi; Jun 20th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 04:04 AM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 26th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,172
Morgan is about to pipe up himself, offering the details of his own vision, when Alnei makes his appearance.

With a small shrug he stands and moves to act as announcer.
”Ladies and gentlemen. It is my distinct pleasure to reintroduce Alnei Nelia. A gentleman who's death was only somewhat exaggerated. His children, at great difficulty, transferred his mind and soul from his dying body to a new Trueforged form.
Apparently he's decided against retiring quietly, and instead wishes to be a big noisy blowhard.”

Morgan rolls his eyes theatrically.
”Can't say I'm too surprised.”

Morgan gestures at Shosana.
”To his left is the vampire who was Princess Shosana Halva. I'm not sure if she would still technically be considered a princess. Many laws regarding the undead are somewhat foggy, I'd have to check the laws of succession on that one. I'm sure it wouldn't be inappropriate to address her as such.
For those that are unaware, that makes her daughter of Vulcar the first.”
Not everyone could be expected to know ancient Halvan history after all.

Morgan's eyes turn to Zilira, he can't help the grin that spreads across his face. As hard as it might be for someone who's hidden for so long, for someone who prefers the dark to exposure. There was something about her being able to go out in public, to have the option to actually be herself again, that makes Morgan want to jump up and down for joy.
“And, for the first time in public in several hundred years, it is my honor to announce the drow demigoddess Minlolth Zilira, veteran of the Demongate War and mother to the Halvan royal line.
Please address her as Zilira"
Morgans eyes sparkle, remembering their first discussion through Nevh's necklace. "Although if you wished to call her Goddess of Silken Night, or some other worshipful title she probably wouldn't complain.”
Morgan stands and offers Zilira his chair. From his satchel he withdraws his folding camp chair for himself. The others would have to find their own seating.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 04:12 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nevh threw a cold stare at Vulcar as he answered in her stead. She could use her own voice to explain herself and affirm the resolve of her decision.
As people eyed her with suspicion, Nevh felt pressured to justify herself.
"I investigated, he paid me. He is no king of mine."
She frowned, deeply annoyed.
"But this all escalated and now more than Halva is threatened. I won't wait for it to reach Quall."
Perhaps that would help those who whose nation was a least as distant to the conflict as Quall happened to be to remember how grave the situation happened to be.

Mrith seemed lost in thought, busy thinking of a new angle that might get the Rudaa to reconsider.

Nevh couldn't help but smile sadly as she learned Lekan's decision. It seemed he and his brother hadn't fully discussed the matter, or perhaps Lekan had submitted to his brother's will after she had left them, and then changed his mind again.
Nevertheless, it was somewhat comforting to know she wouldn't be going through this trial alone.

Zilira's presence wasn't surprising. Meeting Shosanna again, though, was.
Interesting, too. Seneca was already there, which promised that if she had to come here herself, she had new intelligence to share. Or at least, she hoped such was the case.

Alnei's 'resurrection' also captivated her. She could theorize on the process, tried to imagine how he could have pulled it off... if it wasn't but a variant of the statue of the One King they had found. She listened, naturally. If they had bothered to impose themselves to the gathering in this manner, one could hope they had a good reason to.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 08:34 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
At first, Morgan's line about Zilira being the mother to the Halvan Royals appears to slip notice, with the assembled guests more concerned with her and Shosanna's mere presence (though the latter likely because she had been announced as a vampire). Alnei, despite his miraculous rebirth, was all but ignored by most of them once the other two stepped in.

Mirik is once again the quickest on the uptake. "Oh? Mother of the royal line?" He looks towards Zilira, who had taken Morgan's offered seat, albeit with a pronounced roll of her eyes at the gesture. Shosanna meanwhile moved towards Seneca. Both of them look up as Mirik speaks and the Silver Bard looks from one to the other. "So you were Queen Llira Halva?" At Ziliria's smirk and Shosanna's nod, the Dragon lets out a great, booming laugh. "Hah! Oh what a lovely twist. I always thought that whole thing was a bit fishy, but that it would be you in disguise is certainly a surprise, especially since Vulcar I was supposed to have killed you."

Vulcar clears his throat before answering that one. "The One King did indeed fight Zilira, but he did not kill her, he bound her with True Magic and later married her and set her to protecting and serving their descendants. She-"

"Are yo telling me-" Niafem starts with narrowed eyes as she looks from Zilira to Shosanna to Vulcar. "-that the Halvan Royal line is general term for Tieflings, Half-Fiends, Trolls, Vampires and any other creatures 'tainted' in one way or another by FiendsTainted?"

Zilira bristles at that remark but Vulcar is quick to responds. "We're all tainted to one degree or another. Our blood doesn't matter, only what we choose to do with our life and power, whether political, physical or supernatural. Just look at Ashtarte's children. Zilira ended up fighting her 'father' during the Demongate Wars, Inanna is all but withdrawn from the world, Anteros is a sadistic son of a bitch and Deimos is, well, the Maidensnatcher, and a colossal pain to all of us." He holds out his hands as if to say 'there you go'.

"Yes, and she helped a tyrant conquer the world."

Once again a bristling Zilira is beaten to the punch, but this time by her only survive daughter, as Shosanna almost snarls. "Easy for a Pharean to say. You had the Fey courts to help and protect you, not to mention a wall of water. You call my father a tyrant? Tyrants don't build libraries. They don't create schools and academies. And they definitely don't give equal rights to everyone. He might have conquered and he might have killed, but if you had any idea what life was like back then you wouldn't call him or my mother evil for their actions. I'm not going to lie, Halva wasn't and isn't perfect. It has had its bad days, more than any other nation likely, but it has also done more than any other nation to help the world too. In the right hands great power does great things, but its inevitable that someone will abuse it given the chance. Even your own nation's history has examples of that, just on a much smaller scale."

Niafem isn't the only one who doesn't look convinced, however it is Jester who throws the real spanner in the works. "You said she was bound? That means she's enslaved by magic to you, right?" There is a dangerous undertone to the question, and the mention of the word 'slave' certainly gets attention, not to mention a few dirty looks and, in the case of the Children present, troubled frowns.
OOCI know Spat wanted to bring up this subject, so just in case he wanted to say something now I'll leave it here. If not just say so and I'll carry on.

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 11:49 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 26th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,172
And just like that Morgan's smile is gone.
”Yes.” His voice is heavy and hard. ”Minlolth Zilira is bound by chains of true magic. Put there by Vulcar the first to protect and aid Halva. To obey the Halvan monarch. She is, in essence, a slave.”
He lets that hang in the air for a moment.
”I will warn you all that this is a very delicate discussion. Zilira is compelled by Vulcar the first's bindings to attack and kill those who attempt to free her from her slavery, so I urge you all in the most dire of terms to take care in discussing it.”
He crosses his arms and looks at Shosanna, eyes as hard as his voice as they bore into her.
”I don't think you would care to know my opinion of your father, and it would include words you don't say in polite company. Whether he was a hard but well intentioned man who brought order to a chaotic world, or a power hungry tyrant willing to manipulate his own children because of his desire to, as Seneca said, “rule the world,” it doesn't matter. Unless I'm wrong and there's another layer to this onion Vulcar the first is long dead and long gone. The only one left we could possibly censure over it is your “other” sire, depending on his role.” If Seneca had ever wondered at the depth of Morgan's hostility and anger towards him he could wonder no more as Morgan leveled a cold sharp glare upon him. That he was a vampire was horrible but not his choice, a tragedy. That he had willingly transmitted the disease to others was bad, but apparently had been their decision, he shouldn't have agreed to it, but there you have it. That he had almost certainly helped Vulcar the first to strip away a person's free will and indefinitely enslave them in such a way was to Morgan monstrous. Morgan and Eloise had brought to justice people guilty of lesser crimes.
The level look he gives Niafem carries none of the heat and anger he'd directed and Seneca.
”Whether or not nearly a millennium of enslavement to her own kin is sufficient to atone for her own crimes, whatever they may be, is something you may wish to wait to discuss until you get the full story. Don't you agree? I strongly doubt any of us here are without sin. Did anyone die in Tsunn when you lit their forest aflame accidentally? Do you feel you've atoned for your own mistakes and failings?”

His gaze softens as it turns to Vular.
”In the end you are no more responsible for the crimes of those who came before you than anyone else is. What you are responsible for is your own actions and choices.
When we were discussing family connections you once said you took comfort in knowing that Zilira would always be around to watch over your children. It didn't bother me at the time, because I didn't really think about it. But when I did, at the true meaning of that statement, it has come to bother me deeply. Was it merely a commentary on her immortality and concern for her offspring, or was it a tacit condoning of her continued enslavement? I need to ask how you feel about the situation. I need to ask that because though you did not ask for it, and though I do not believe you know what you could do about it, you are a slave owner. And I am in your employ.”

More than that he was in a relationship with her. It was morally speaking, a very muddy situation.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 07:27 AM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Zilira immediately tenses when the subject of her slavery comes up, her eyes widening for a moment in fright as she glances towards Morgan, although it was only a fleeting expression before the unconcerned mask came up.

Seneca raises an eyebrow at Morgan's accusatory look. "Vulcar was the True Magic user, not myself, and if you believe I condoned what he did to Zilira then you are mistaken. I remember my own slavery too well to impart it on another."

"So you just stood back and did nothing?" Is Niafem's sharp retort.

"No. When he wouldn't listen, I at least managed to convince him to loosen the bonds. Believe it or not her original binding was much...harsher than it is now. It completely stripped her of her free will."

"So why didn't you free her if you care so much? Vulcar has been dead for centuries."

Seneca smiles grimly. "Vulcar always liked his secrets, and the secret to undoing Zilira's binding is no exception. If I knew how to do it I would have, but I'm not privy to that information. Only a blood descendant of Vulcar's can get the information." Vulcar looks troubled at that news, while Seneca looks over to Zilira. "I'm not going to claim what Vulcar did in this instance was right, nor that I was right, but I did the best I felt I could given the circumstances. I hope-"

"We have another problem then." Vulcar interrupts, which surprises Seneca. "I had hoped that he simply did not leave a way to undo the bindings but if what you say is true, then Zera must have stolen that information."

Shosanna's eyes widen. "We checked everything. Nothing else was missing."

"And by 'we' do you include the Vampires Zera was able to influence the memories of? Or perhaps the construct librarian?" Seneca asks wearily. "I expect Vulcar hid the knowledge from you as he did your other siblings, considering you too...'invested' in Zilira and therefore too biased." He looks towards Vulcar. "So, you had sought out the knowledge?"

Vulcar nods. "Yes, the 'librarian' said he did not possess such knowledge, yet you seem sure Vulcar left it to his descendants. Where else would he leave it?"

Seneca sighs. "With Vulcar? Who knows. As I said: he loved his secrets. At the very least we need to be cautious." He glances towards Zilira. "If he left the knowledge the undo the binding, it is entirely possible that he also left the knowledge of how to make or change one."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 09:34 AM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 26th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,172
A light sweat breaks out on Morgan's brow. After this point just about anything he says could result in his destruction. Best to come at it as crabwise as possible and hope for the best. Instead of opening his own mouth yet again Morgan reaches out with the telepathic connection he has with Jester.
”Jester. There are things that for safety's sake I have rendered myself incapable of speaking of." Considering the subject of the current conversation, knowing how to free Zilira and hidden information, Morgan had little doubt Jester would pick up the idea of what exactly that information was and why it was dangerous. "Please. I need your help to make me able to speak more freely. Ask Vulcar about the conversation he and I had about family connections, especially about him ordering her around and privacy. He gave her an order then that I need him to realize he needs to repeat. Pass it off to one of the other Archgates if you think your subterfuge isn't up to par, but don't let Zil know the question comes from me.”

Morgan can't help but wonder if he would go this far for someone he wasn't emotionally attached to. He was risking his life, something he held dear. But that was something he was doing for thousands of faceless people, so why not a single person as well? He'd let someone muck about with his head, a heretofore unthinkable proposition. He was possibly risking this entire burgeoning alliance here. Should his actions spark violence and someone got hurt, it would likely disrupt the entire meeting, and it might not be soon forgiven. And yet, if he didn't do it who would? Despite centuries Seneca had apparently gotten nowhere, if he had even truly looked, and Vulcar was hardly in a position to be able to search for it, much less have much hope of finding it out. No. This was both right and needed. Even if as he sometimes quietly feared Zilira was only pretending to care for him, even if she was ultimately the author of their woes and Zera's existence, even still it was not right to enslave her in this way. If she hadn't learned her lesson in a millennium she never would, keeping her chained further was nothing but pointless cruelty. No matter her attitude they could not be assured it was genuine until her chains were broken.

Airis preserve, let me be making the right choice.
oocSorry for kicking the ball into your court, but it seems like the best, or at least safest, way of doing things.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
OOCSorry for the delay. I've been puzzling how to do this myself. In the end this is the only thing I can imagine Jester doing, sine he doesn't know exactly what order it is Vulcar needs to give (even if I do).

"And how by Ashtarte's left tit are we supposed to ask him about a conversation you two had without making her suspect you were somehow involved? Not to mention you've not exactly kept your cards close to your chest and for all you know she knows your 'I'm talking telepathically to someone' look. Just tell me exactly what order it is you need him to give rather than *****-footing around and I'll either do what I can or pass it on."
OOCReally? Cats are censored ?

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]

Last edited by Makenshi; Jun 26th, 2013 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 11:54 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 26th, 2023
RPXP: 15376
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 11,172
”Of all the whiny...
Sure she'll suspect, but there's a difference between suspecting and believing and even more between that and knowing. Call me an optimist but I think she actually wants to be free, so she certainly won't be helping any compulsions along. And I've been in near constant mental communication with a couple of different people since this whole shindig started, I don't see why that would change. Go ahead and pass it on to someone else if you'd think they'd do it more smoothly.
Vulcar ordered her out of the room and not to listen in on what went on inside, and he obviously expected the order would be followed. You can couch it as a continuation of your previous comment about her being enslaved by magic to him, about questioning how he's been treating her. He should already be in the right mind set since I pointed out the kill order and mentioned the conversation.
Once she's out of here Shade or Tiaan can probably seal the room well enough that even if she is secretly compelled to try and watch in she'll see nothing, and Khekanon can tell if she tries to sneak back in.”

If she did catch on, and wound up trying to kill Morgan just for trying to discuss the matter in private then at least they had some of the most powerful beings on Ahkea available to try and stop her. And should they fail... well it was only a matter of time anyway. Backing out now would be the cowards way out, this was something they needed to get to the bottom of and another opportunity like this might not arise in Morgan's lifetime for all he knew.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 23rd, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
The others continue to debate Zilira's binding while Jester and Morgan 'talk', although Vulcar does not join, looking both thoughtful and pensive, his hands clasped together. It isn't until Celes places a hand on his arm that he appears to catch up with the conversation. The two exchange brief smiles before focussing on the debate at hand.

Jester taps Mirik's shoulder with the back of his hand to get his attention. "Do you really think it's a good idea to discuss her like this when she's sitting here in front of us? Especially given what they've said about what she is compelled to do. Unless you fancy explaining to the various Kings and Queens of Aheka why their representatives were murdered by a dead Goddess of course."

Mirik rolls his eyes. "Crudely put as always Jester." The Dragon's eyes sweep over Zilira before settling on Vulcar. "Though he is right your majesty. If you truly value her as kin as your words suggest, rather than the slave she appears to be, then perhaps it would be best to send her away so as to avoid any...unintended incidents?"

Vulcar considers for only a moment before nodding. "Very well." He looks to Zilira. "Leave the room and don't eavesdrop in any way. I'll inform you of what we discussed that I can pass on later."

The Drow Demi-Goddess seems hesitant and nervous but there is only a slight pause before she bows her head slightly. "Ok." Shadows envelop her, leaving only her grey eyes visible for a moment before even they are engulfed and the vaguely Zilira-shaped shadow sitting in Morgan's chair appears to be sucked into a nearby shadow.

There is a pregnant pause before Jester gives Tiaan a significant look, however it is Malhas who speaks up. "God-blind." A strange sensation passes through everyone at his words, not unlike the sensation one got hen casting magic themselves. At the strange look from others he gives a nonchalant shrug. "I like my privacy and I don't trust any of you." Kala gives him a sharp look at that last comment, forcing a sigh out of him. "I don't trust most of you." This time he ignores her sharp look, although the keen eyed would notice him wince slightly at the same time that Kala smirks slightly. Malhas' words are a little terser this time. "I'd suggest backing it up with your own as well."

Once Tiaan and others have cast their own privacy and planar blocking spells Jester turns to Morgan. "Spill it Wainraith."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB