RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 11th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18687
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Star Wars: The Jensaarai

A game of grey force-users in a black and white galaxy

In the late stages of the Clone wars an Anzati Jedi named Nikkos Tyris discovered a long-forgotten Holocron in the Jedi Archives. The Holocron, actually a Sith manuscript of the Exar Kun follower Larad Noon, chronicled the ancient history of the Jedi and the Sith from a very different perspective. Though factually correct about a lot of things, it suggested that the Jedi had stolen everything that they knew from the Sith of old before exiling them, putting the blame of all the subsequent wars on the shoulders of this order. The Holocron also contained some techniques thought lost by the Jedi, some too dark to even contemplate and some not inherently corrupted, among the latter the means to craft armour using the lightsaber resistant Cortosis ore.

Nikkos Tyris renounced the Jedi order to found the Jensaarai, a word that in the language of the Sith means "followers of the hidden truth". Secretly retreating to the Suarbi system in the outer rim he started to study the Holocron further, gathering like-minded individuals around him to teach those that wanted to be free from the many restraints of the Jedi order. But Nikkos could not withstand the dark influence that Larad Noon put upon him, and neither did two of his closest followers, even becoming tainted so far as to ally himself with Count Dooku, really Darth Tyranus. Through this evil tie the Jedi order found the Jensaarai again, believing them to be a "Sith Cult" only three people strong. In the fight that ensued Nikkos Tyris and his tainted apprentices were killed and the Holocron destroyed, but the other members hiding nearby overlooked. Coincidentally the corrupting influence of the dark side was ripped out at the root, leaving behind an order of grey force-users without real taint, but one that would have to find its place in a galaxy that was quickly turning much more hostile and dangerous, especially for force-users.

SystemWest End Games Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game

Previous knowledge is not required, and in fact it may be difficult to acquire a legal copy of this system. The current license holders for star wars rpg products (Fantasy Flight Games) have produced a reprint of the second edition of the West End Games rules (which is what I'm using, along some old sourcebook borrowed from friends), but other than that and used copies of the original run there are no fully legal versions of the rules available. Please do not link to or talk about bootleg versions in this thread (or via pm, for that matter) as per site rules.

However, before West End Games folded some of their staff worked on an open license "generic" version of their D6 rules, which are still being maintained by fans on the openD6project site. It is possible to use that site to get the general idea of conflict resolution, but I intend to run a very rules-light version of the system anyway. I'll provide players with a list of skills and force powers so that a character can be created, and almost anything beyond that will just be resolved with the basic dice mechanic.

One might also call it a "story first" game, in that sense. Basically, I want the system to become of small relevance to the players once the game is actually running.

"Why not play System X Y or Z then? I know System X Y or Z already," is a fair question in that regard, so let me try to answer that pre-emptively. Firstly, I find that WEG Star Wars gameplay is not hard to grasp once you get going. There's not much to learn coming from any system - you have skills and attributes at a certain amount of dice, and you are trying to roll high. Secondly, I have a large collection of sourcebooks at my disposal, and the system in general has rules for literally any piece of equipment, ship, alien, any force power and a large number of canonical npcs that you might find on Wookieepedia, so it's very easy for me to run, just plucking things ready-made out of the books (and pretty much can't be beaten in terms of universality). There is never the question of "are there rules for xy?"

A fully formed concept, likely developed through a bit of wiki browsing, and a creative mind is ultimately all that is required to play.

What is the game about?The players will be part of a (non-canonical) expansionist faction within the Jensaarai, an order of "grey", or middle-ground, force-users. As such recurring themes in adventures will be survival, exploration, the locating and possibly recruiting force users, or the finding and securing of Force knowledge. Since the Jensaarai are what might be called "grey Jedi" this might include Sith lore, though after previous disasters the order has become more careful with dealing with those. Additionally, the game will often deal with helping locals in the outer rim resist the Empire, something that is direly needed because the full-scale rebellion is still years away from forming. A more long term theme is going to be resolving the Jensaarai identity crisis sprung from those factions that are either too isolationist or too careless in their dealing with Sith knowledge, which is likely to turn into full-on civil war if an agreement is not found. So rest assured we'll squeeze in the odd lightsaber duel as well.

Even though the characters will start out as apprentices I emphasise player agency, and I try to give opportunity for the characters to influence the plot in major ways. The responsibility will only grow as the students become the masters.

If it has not become clear, I am using canonical "legends" lore as a starting off point, but I'll twist it slightly to fit my purposes and to make a fun game, rather than sticking to source material to the letter hoping that the players can somehow fit around the continuity. There will be things that are familiar, and things that are new and exciting.

Flavour/ThemesMorality on a razors-edge between the absolutes of black and white.

Post-rateMy target speed is 1-2 Gm-updates a week, a relaxed but steady pace to encourage a little more depth. In situations of pure action/combat this might well rise.

The JensaaraiI am adding or changing a lot of detail about this unique group of force-users that are both so similar and yet so different to the Jedi, so while you could just hop over to Wookiepedia and browse their history I would recommend at least glancing at some of the following fields to avoid surprises. Some decisions are specifically so the campaign has lots of opposition and somewhere to go storywise (see the note at the end), while the rest is mostly geared towards filling in the gaps of information and to get away from a portrayal that ultimately made them inferior to the Jedi. Not that I'm suggesting they are inherently better, but I want them at the very least on equal footing - no consolation price for force-users.

A brief history

Current Key NPCs (and general numbers of the order)

Jensaarai Structure and Philosophy

Equipment and Abilities

The Jensaarai Home

Desired number of Players3-6

The setupThe Jenwai Midwan faction has made several minor expeditions to neighbouring systems, but up until now have been mostly focused on establishing a network of connections on the home planet for fear of exposing the order through blunt and open action elsewhere. Recently they have come into possession of a ship after helping bust a local criminal organisation - an HT-2200 Medium Freighter the criminals had called the "Grey Tortoise". Since this makes them much more independent in their travels now, with even the potential to leave hyperlanes and lay low should they ever pick up any "heat", Gorga, the nominal leader of the Jenwai Midwan, believes that with this they are finally ready to set out on a slightly longer venture. He plans to follow up on a rumour he had heard about a dark influence on a planet a few sectors over. On the way there he wants to make frequent stops to increase their chances of encountering force-sensitives, in addition to picking up more intel on the happenings in the wider galaxy.

I might possibly start the game with a flashback to the apprentices helping to liberate the "Grey Tortoise", just as a means to get everybody familiar with how one rolls for skills attributes and attacks in the system, but it would only be a rather short scene.

Types of CharactersForce Sensitive:
This game assumes that the majority of characters, if not all, are fully-fledged members of the Jensaarai, albeit at the rank of apprentice. Among sensitive characters there is some leeway how and when they joined, however. Since the order is only thirteen years old at the start of the game there would be some that had previously been Jedi, following Nikkos Tyris into his self imposed exile as youths. A smaller amount of Jensaarai may have originally been independent adepts that were accidentally discovered or maybe drawn towards the order through force visions. They may have stumbled upon the order while fleeing from the cruel and dangerous Empire, like so many Caamasi did, or possibly they were some of the Jedi that came to the Jensaarai after Order 66.

As such the age range for a Jensaarai apprentice can vary greatly - the order is organised in a similar way to the Jedi in the sense that they ideally like to start training users from a very young age, but in reality that is not how it always transpires. However, since all of the above means we can have characters that have trained with the Jensaarai for over 13/7 years (Previously Jedi/other force-sensitive) I do not want characters that are extremely young. Anything from maturity (i.e. 18 for a human) or above is fine.

If it is not obvious all PCs will also be adherents of the Jenwai Midwan school of thought so they can join their defenders in a call to action (see above as to what one should expect starting out the game).

Importantly - even though all Jensaarai characters will be apprentices they will start with a lightsaber already built (of their own design and style, see above), but they have not yet constructed their Cortosis Armour. This will be a major honour and test of their capabilities, marking their transition to Defender, which should happen after around three or four threads/chapters into the game.

Non force-sensitive PCs:
With all that being said about Jensaarai characters, there is also space for non-sensitive PCs. The Jensaarai are protective of the natives on Susevfi, even if they mostly remained in hiding as an order. In fact, this would (in the canon progression of events) later lead to them being pressed into service of a local Moff (an unlawful one, but that's a whole other story) to shield the population from harm. As such it is safe to assume that they had some non-sensitive people connected to them or actively in their service - as informers, guards, farmworkers, doctors, pilots, advisors or for other tasks. Even a droid would be a serviceable character concept. The only thing that is important with a character like this is that they absolutely have to have a stake in the Jensaarai that is nearly as great as that of the members. An easy example of such a bond would be a Wookiee that has a life debt to a senior Jensaarai, but it does not necessarily have to be that dramatic. Just note: Characters that feel like they wouldn't really have a reason to stick around under the direst circumstances will not be considered.

Morality:
It might go without saying, but the campaign calls for ultimately good people that want to do the right thing, help others and seek understanding of the force (if they are sensitive). The difference might be that there is less judgement levelled at people having emotions (Fear leads to ... and so on) or engaging with Sith knowledge. People still remain very vigilant so as not to cross a line, but they don't see emotion as much of an instant slippery slope and see dealing with Sith lore as a danger they must face for the betterment of their order.

Ultimately slipping to the dark side still works much like with Jedi, so playing a Jensaarai is not a carte blanche to play a sort of "Sith-light" type character. A bit more flawed is encouraged, but murderhobos would soon become dark side NPCs. Dark Side Force powers are also off the table as they are, however there may be some that are ripe for the Jensaarai to develop a "sanitised" version of, for example, Force Wind or Doppelganger, in addition to other lost lore that the characters might find along the way.

Applications
Now, if you've made it this far you might want to know how to make an application for this game. Please read the following spoilertagged section all the way through if you want to do so:

Please also read this note on Species: The Jensaarai are sort of a fringe organisation, so I think it would be an appropriate time to get away from the most obvious species and lean into the huge variety of the setting to emphasise this angle. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but we've all seen a Miraluka, Zabrak or Twi'lek force user in a game, let alone a human one. There are very good reasons why they are so popular, and I will not disregard applications that feature the most popular races at all (in fact I like a fair few of them a lot myself), but I would suggest to at least consider some more exotic (or rather, unlikely-) aliens.

For example, the whole order was formed by an Anzati, a species that are often considered "plain evil" because of their vampiric dietary requirements, which in and of itself can be a nice catalyst in terms of personal story. There are other aliens that have similar prejudices levelled at them, like the Devaronians because of their "devil-like" looks, or the Defel "bogeymen" for the fact that they can disappear from sight, among many others.

Then there are those that seem physically unlikely to become a force user of this variety, like the huge Herglic, Amani and Whiphids or the tiny Mrlissi, Ranat and Drall. There are aliens that have disagreeable temperaments or unique philosophies. What would an Abyssin or an Arkanian Jensaarai look like, on species who are usually violent and mean and another generally supremely arrogant, even if there are canonical Jedi among the both of them? What about a Tunroth, a species that usually refuses to use any weaponry other than their ritual ones? Or using something more well known, how would a Rodian marry his own hunting obsessed clan-based culture with the grey path of the Jensaarai?

Just a few examples which I've yet to use with any NPCs. Either way, I have compiled a list of pre-approved alien species, which one can use with Wookiepedia to get an overview of the option out there. Stick to the Legends pages though, as that's what I'm working with myself. The selection is based on how common a species is in the galaxy, on whether they produce force-users and on how well I could see them fit into the game overall, which is independent from the fact whether they would have made a good Jedi or not. As I said I would welcome most odd combinations. It's not an exhaustive list, however. I left out some aliens that look almost exactly like humans (which is not the case for all near-humans), and those that are so niche they are barely mentioned in any type of media. If you want to play something that exotic I may possibly allow it if it ticks the other boxes, so feel free to ask.

Almost all of these have standard attributes in the West End games star wars system. I did not specifically point out those that have higher starting attributes to not draw the eye there, but there are some in there that I will allow. There are also a handful that have fewer attribute dice than normal, though these generally have other abilities that make up for it. The sole exception I could find are the Advozse, which have fewer dice for seemingly no reason. I consider that a sort of typo, and for this game they are considered to get the normal 12D.

Application deadlineI will set a preliminary deadline to submit an application at two weeks from now (25.04.2021 24:00 GMT - as a reference this would be 19:00 EST). If I have fewer than ~five applications by then I may extend that deadline by another week, but i will not do the opposite (bringing it forward) under any circumstance.

P.S.: Why the Jensaarai and why mess with the (legends) canon?

Last edited by Phettberg; Apr 21st, 2021 at 05:09 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 11:35 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Reserved for Q & A, Applicants List

Player Character Species Master Lightweapon Status
Begon Ugo Syrbo Rasa Cathar Diaboye Bede Guard Shoto Done
Impaleddearan X X X X Withdrawn
Howling Winds of TBA Twi'Lek TBA TBA WIP
GeneT Gand Gand Spereia Stropia Two Shoto Done
NightDreamer09 Rinas Var’adrid Balosar Bourtai Vekku Lightsaber pike Done
Tahril Isena Kinro Echani Spereia Stropia Guard Shoto Done
PalladiaMors Sks'chk Kch'sk-Skcha Harch Diaboye Bede Double-bladed lightsaber Done
Silent Rain PK8-08 PK-Series Worker Droid N/A N/A Done
Draidden Thaz Vuls Quarren N/A N/A Done
Homestarbaby Fria Arkanian A.T./Gorga Lightwhip Done
Acathala Miamar Draedi Trianii TBA TBA Done
TheRatQueen Triz Bat Sheva Zabrak Sheysos-ka Double-bladed lightsaber, split Done
abc123 Izokh Hyssk Trandoshan Ivik Po'Machi Double-bladed lightsaber Done

Last edited by Phettberg; Apr 26th, 2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27507
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
This sounds great! A deep dive star wars game is just what I need in my life. I am not familiar with the system but I am a quick learner. I will get to work on an application... time to crack open my star wars encyclopedias!

WIP
right-aligned image
Name Syrbo Rasa
Species:Cathar
Homeworld:Cathar
General Background: The story of the Cathar is the story of genoicide. All but wiped out by a Mandalorian invasion, the genetic memory of the massacre burns deeply in the Cathar people… none more so than in Syrbo. The Battle of Cathar, as the massacre came to be known, had led to the few desperate survivors being forced to flee from their homeworld.

Now almost 4,000 years later, Syrbo’s clan had only recently repatriated to Cathar. It was during this return to his ancestral homeland that Syrbo began to feel the first stirrings of the force within him. It had first manifested as a longing to return to the tree cities of his people and by the time the Cathar had stepped foot on his home planet, the young warrior had begun to experiment with the connection he now felt, not just with Cathar, but with the force that permeates all.

Syrbo knew of the force… there had been Cathar Jedi… Sylvar. Her exploits were told over communal fires and it was to her shrine, built high in a secluded city-tree that Syrbo had traveled as he meditated on the path before him. Sylvar had been a Jedi… but that was a path that Syrbo could not travel down. Just as the Mandalorians had tried to exterminate his people… the Jedi were not without blood on their hands as well.

He had heard the stories... drunken tales of Jedi persecution of heretics...the grey. Syrbo had much to learn but in one thing he was firm… never trust those who were sure in their own righteousness. His fledgling immersion into the force continued, the Cathar keen to find a way to harness the energy but fearing the outcome if he did not find a mentor to teach him. Sylvar had almost succumbed to the dark side… Syrbo had no illusions that he could not suffer the same temptations. In the tales, he had learned that the Jedi inquisitors had been brought to Susevfi… that is where he needed to travel.

Physical description and personality. Cyrbo carries himself with a quiet confidence, his slight, athletic build belying his martial ability. He moves with a fluidness of motion, always aware of his surroundings and his physical positioning in space. Cyrbo’s mane is short and a clear indication of his relative youth, though he does carry a significant scar that runs down his fur covered face in three angry rivulets.

The scars are a reminder of Cyrbo’s participation in a ritualistic blood hunt against the Kiltik that ravage Cathar. Cyrbo had acted rashly, rushing forward to deal the killing blow to a hive queen. The blow landed true, but not before the dying giant beetle-like creature almost killed him in return. A valuable lesson was learned that day, and Cyrbo now endeavors to keep his tempestuous emotions under control.

Force and Order specific background:
Master: Diaboye Bede
Form: IV Ataru
Lightsaber: Guard Shoto

Cyrbo's arrival on Susevfi was not welcomed. Arriving unexpectedly... uninvited... and asking too many questions of a sensitive nature, the Cathar was tersely directed to leave... for his own good. Cyrbo, seething on the inside, did as he was told... but he did not return home. Instead he retreated to the plains and savannas where he stayed, honing his hunting skills and waiting... patiently waiting. The force had brought him to Susevfi and he would stay.

His discipline was noted by Master Diaboye and his stubborn refusal and dedication led to him being accepted as an apprentice to the rodent like Chadra- Fan. The pair make for an odd pair, but Bede has diligently worked on harnessing Cyrbo's innate aggressiveness... sharpening it to be akin to a fine spear point and not a dull hammer.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Apr 14th, 2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Nice to see some early interest, Welcome Begon!

As I say in the ad there is very little to learn up front with this system (not to say there aren't advanced rules, but they can be easily omitted or left to me).

You get a certain amount of standard dice (i.e. d6s) to spend on attributes/force skills and normal skills respectively (lists to pick from will be provided), and whenever you want to do anything you pick an appropriate attribute or skill and roll that number of dice. You add up the rolls and compare it to a target number, wanting to roll high. The only thing more complicated than that is that one dice is the "wild dice" which may tell you of a possible critical failure (1) or success (6). If you get the six you reroll the wild dice as often as it takes to not show a six anymore, adding it all up. On the player side that's more or less it, beyond knowing what the individual force powers you have access to do.

Obviously I'm familiar with it all, but I still think even a total beginner can take a fleshed-out character concept and turn it into a sheet in under an hour. You might want to tinker more than that of course, but that would be the bare amount of time spent on mechanics.

Also Cathar - very exciting! If I remember correctly they can have a bit of a temper.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 09:27 PM
The Dread Lord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1177
Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan
Withdraw
I swear upon the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Impaleddearan; Apr 17th, 2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 10:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2779
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
oh wow, this looks really awesome! I have had an itch to play a SW game for a while now, but either none were running, or, they just didn't pique my interest. This game, though, this looks really fun! Plus, a focus on story (and not so much dice rolls) seems just like the kind of game I need in my life.

ApplicationName Aazek'fesi
Species Twi'Lek
Gender Female
Age 30
Homeworld Ryloth
General Background I am a Twi'lek. My people are peaceful. We are not violent and search for peace, diplomatic solutions... while this old saying might apply to some Twi'lek, Aazek found it utterly useless. Sure, in times o peace, perhaps it provide true. But her life was anything but peaceful. When she had moments to reflect on all that had happened to her prior to joining the Jenarassai, one questions continually haunted her. What is supposed when pacifism meets a violent reckoning? Are the violent supposed to show respect for an unbreakable will in the face of torture and worse?. Beginning life on Ryloth as a dancer; which became her passion after learning many of the traditional dances as a child.
Physical description and personality.
Force and Order specific background

Last edited by Howling Winds of; Apr 14th, 2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 10:51 PM
Phial of Babel

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7090
GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT GeneT
To Earn a Name
right-aligned image

Name: Gand. As is fitting for one who has been exiled.
Species: Gand.
Home-world: None. Previously Gand, but this Gand was undeserving of a place or name. Gand lost both the first and last as zie was a failed contributor to zis species, a failed Findsmen, but mainly as one touched.

General Background:
Having become a mystic findsmen, Gand is later exiled from zis home-world and the rest of zis species when zie becomes touched by the force. Zie wanders without name or purpose, zis true path broken, surviving as a bounty hunter until found and eventually repurposed by the Jensaarai. Zie has yet to earn a name, but no longer believes ziself touched. Zie is both mystic findsmen and grey adept Jensaarai. Zie is Gand and zis true path recovered. One day zie will name ziself when zie has earned it. But that day is yet come regardless of zis Jensaarai nature, training, and ability. Zie may see the galaxy differently now, may understand things differently, but a name is yet something zie feels zie must still earn.

Physical Description and Personality:
Short. stocky, and fleshy in appearance, Gand have three fingers on each hand, and zir faces are lumpy and unsettling. Gand have large, multifaceted eyes that betray little feeling. All Gand encountered off-world use a special breathing apparatus that fits snugly into zir facial anatomy. Zir multifaceted eyes sparkle in a myriad of blues, although at times those colors shift for reasons and emotions unknown.

Force and Order Specifics:
  • Force Manifestation : Per Gand species isolationist philosophy, zie is touched by an outside Force. Zie is a natural occurring independent. As far as zie knows, zie is the only of zis kind, but zis knowledge is limited and Gand hierarchy is secretive of such occurrences and other cases of exile.
  • Emissary Ideology : The Gand believes in the non-isolationist ideology of Jenwai Midwan. Zie lives it. Without it, Zie has no path, no life. Zie believes in the search of other force touched individuals, the pursuit of knowledge, and protecting others.
  • Jensaarai History : As far as the 'corruption' of the founder, zie is somewhat indifferent. Good and evil is a complicated idea that zis species do not inherently see as individual although zis exile may make a different case. The Gand thinks that each has a choice and zie has come to believe in becoming Jensaarai that there is a balance within that must be found between the darkness and lightness of one's life. That both live within and only thru balance can one prevent being consumed by either the dark or the light. Zis thoughts on the matter, although, are just beginning.
  • Force Ideas : It is likely the Gand will veer towards Sense and Alter although there are some control features that seem to fit. If an initial power is granted, the Gand would prefer Life Detection. With that in mind and zis urge to earn zis name, a second power would likely add to that and be Life Sense. Alternatively, the Gand could decide upon Telekinesis and Kinetic Combat combo.

Master : Spereia Stropia
    Lightsaber : The Gand preferentially wield two Shotos, one in each hand, often employing a combination of Tràkata and the enigmatic Findsman combat style.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gand1sm.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	90558  

Last edited by GeneT; Apr 20th, 2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 06:41 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Looking great everybody! I plan on giving out some individual thoughts and feedback, but I'll wait until applications have progressed a little so I can do them two or three at a time.

I'm happy players are taking me up on the path less travelled, but if you are sitting on the sidelines wondering if I'll look less favourably on your human/very popular race character don't be alarmed - just like an exotic species does not automatically make an interesting character a very common species doesn't make a character immediately boring. There's a lot more to it than that, so the more the merrier!

Long time no see GeneT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Winds of View Post
Plus, a focus on story (and not so much dice rolls) seems just like the kind of game I need in my life.
Happy to oblige. Not that we won't roll dice every now and then, but I don't want to get bogged down in the super complicated stuff. The most technical bit for any character will be selecting force powers, but beyond that we'll keep it super basic when it comes to the rules so we can focus on the roleplaying.

Last edited by Phettberg; Apr 12th, 2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 491
NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09
Interesting this is, say I must.

Too many interesting species I see, hard the choice is.

Tempted to draft an application I am, yes.

Drafting I am... hoping in a clichè not to fall. Update I will.

Last edited by NightDreamer09; Apr 12th, 2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDreamer09 View Post
Tempted to draft an application I am, yes.
Looking forward to it, I am.

On the plus side, you've got four species fewer now that other people have already snatched some away... so that makes it a lot easier, right?
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 491
NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phettberg View Post
Looking forward to it, I am.

On the plus side, you've got four species fewer now that other people have already snatched some away... so that makes it a lot easier, right?
It did help xD I started with like 15 different races that could be interested than started cutting them down till I had a limited set; at this point I tried a few "core ideas" but only one resonated and sent me on a writing spree. The result of such a writing spree is below... sorry if it's a bit long to read <.<

It's still a wip, I have to refine:
  • physical description
  • Personality
  • Weapon of choice
  • Force powers
  • Master
  • rp sample
I'll update the list above as I work on it.

I updated the Force specific powers and weapon of choice.
The latter took a bit of thinking: I had classic saber, classic + shoto, double guard shoto, double blade saber, pike. I honestly wanted something different than the classic lightsaber, however given the character I didn't see her as a very athletic character like one needed to make the most out of double blades and double guard shotos; thus I ended up with the pike, the color is still in thinking, for now I put yellow. The force focus followed a similar thinking: she is not a very aggressive character but she can build upon her subsonic perception thus the focus on "intelligence gathering" than on pure "hitting power".

The picture is the picture I found in the "The New Essential Guide to Alien Species" which is practically the only canon female Balosar; not perfect but gives the general idea.

I do really really really hope it's not a cliche, like, do say so if you think it is please ^^'' And feedback is appreciated.

Rinas Var'adrid
right-aligned image
Rinas Var'adrid

Name: Rinas Var’adrid
Species: Balosar

Homeworld: Balosar
Physical description:
Rinas is a Balosar woman standing at the great height of 1.63, an average height for a Balosar. Her eyes are a blue grey tone.

If it wasn’t for the antennapalps sprouting from the top of her head, Rinas could quite look like a human, just a sick and gaunt one: her skin was pale and her body looked haggard and frail. Her coarse hairs had a bluish color without much shine and were usually kept them into a ponytail.

In the 3 years with the Jeensari, away from the poisons of her homeworld and of her addicition, she had lost some of her sick and gaunt look, gaining more color in her skin and hairs and weight. She still looks kind of frail but she now has more strength.

The antennapalps are retractable appendages that allow her to listen into the subsonic range thus letting her detect surges of emotions; her species had used such ability as a forewarn from impending danger. Another trait shared with her brethren is the resistance to toxins and most poisons.
She has a metal nose ring on the right nostril and a chin stud.

Personality:
A homeworld full of poison and desperation could not foster beings full of positiveness. Rinas was no exception and, for the first part of her life, she quite filled the stereotype of the Balosar people: gloomy and depressed, cynical and sarcastic with a dark view of the future.

However, her personality has started changing after she joined the Jeensari: she has regained some positiveness toward the galaxy at large and the future itself. The depression had been receding some as are her cynicism and sarcasm. She is not yet fully free of them and it is an ongoing fight, she still has bouts of depression where she loose will and her thoughts turns darker and often self-deprecating.

Background:
Rinas Var’adrid was born on the heavily polluted word of Balosar, a planet that didn’t foster positiveness and a good outlook of the world or the future. From an early age, she had visions… or very real dreams or nightmares, like she thought for most of her early life.

The general attitude of society and the poor living conditions didn’t help the young Balosar as the visions started to become stronger and more frequent. She couldn’t explain them nor control them, they just happened: some times she saw herself, some time she saw others, some time she saw worlds she didn’t even know the name of, some times she saw people she couldn’t name or place.

In a world dominated by a drug production and addiction, Rinas soon found out how the Death Sticks, produced deep into the overly polluted planet, helped her keep the visions at bay. They would shut them off, make them less vivid as the world took on a brighter, less glum, tone; it wasn’t for long, but it was enough to feel slightly more “normal”.

One try lead to a second and, as many of her brethren, she slowly slide down into the spiralling darkness of addiction. If the death sticks shut off the visions, they would come back even harder and this “return” pushed her into getting more and more.

She was immune to the lethal effect of the death sticks, the shortening of life that cuts other’s addicted life shorter at each usage, but it didn’t protect her from the world around. Her addiction led her to a near death experience, one she woke up from with the feeling that, if she didn’t do something, she won’t see the raise of another week, not to say another year.

There wasn’t much for her on her poisoned homeworld, but the galaxy was a wide place, would it be somewhere a possibility for her to change? Off world she headed, with a baggage of ghosts and visions weighting on her gaunt looking shoulders.

She had no hopes or dreams; she just hoped to be able to outrun the ghost lying just outside her vision, in that dark corners, corners that would be less dark if she took one more sip of a death stick. However, outrunning an addiction as a lone soul in a storming see-like galaxy is a near impossible task and, for as many hops she did, the addiction kept up with her as did the ghosts and the visions, coming back again and again.

Despair started settling in heavy, afar from her homeworld, alone in unknown places, she started despairing there was no way out of the sick circus she felt she was endlessly dancing in. This was when a follower of the Jeensari current found her.

Nobody would have given a gaut, sickly looking Balosar in a descending spiral, a chance: too old for the Jedi if they ever found her, not powerful enough for the Sith if they too ever found her. Instead, the Jeensari adept did. But why he did?

She had asked herself that question many times in the oncoming years but she never had a complete answer. She often believed it was out of pity more than for her Force sensitivity with which she struggled to come to terms with.

Question aside, the Jeensari follower tried to help the sick Balosar: they spoke of the Force, this mystique power that gave her the visions but at the same time, powers she didn’t know she had, about the light that could help her heal herself and free her from the shackles of her past.

She had nothing to lose, she was already lost and something deep into her core resonated with the talks of the Jeensari. She took the rope she had been thrown and let the Jeensari follower push her toward the Jeensari homeworld of Susevfi.

Reaching the Jeensari didn’t mean she was saved and happy; if she had been saved from the wider galaxy, she wasn’t yet safe from her own ghost and chains. If the journey had been painful till now, it wasn’t going to be any easier onward as she started the hard path of making peace with her visions and latent powers and more importantly, the path of rejecting the addiction and the death sticks that were sitting at its centre, like a spider in its web.

It had been a journey which hadn’t ended yet; through small steps, she developed from a sickly, gaunt looking, on the verge of destruction Balosar with a doomed view of the world, to a less sickly looking woman looking to a less grim future as she strived to get better and help the others get better.

If she had such powers, why she couldn’t use them to try help others from falling into the same spiral of total darkness she did? It was kind of natural for her to align with Jenwai Midwan in an attempt to spread the word of what was saving her.

Force specific background:
Her chosen weapon is a lightsaber staff: a lighsaber with a long hilt that doubles as a walking stick. She first started using it when she was still too weak to dive into weapons and styles that required strength such as double bladed lightsabers but then she got used to the additional reach and she kept it, refining it.

Through her life she had noticed how people would underestimate her just by her look. A sickly looking Balosar… what it could do? As in her early stages of her training she still looked quite gaunt, she noticed how the walking stick would only strengthen the image of a sick woman and she decided to work with it: now the walking stick wasn’t a walking stick anymore but it worked as a weapon, both with and without the white yellowish energy blade coming out one of the ends.

Her lightsaber takes the shape of a staff, a bit shorter than her, of grey metal with two thirds of the length covered in leather for a better grip. Her fighting style is still in development but at core it’s a more defensive style where Rinas use the increased reach to keep an opponent at bay and soften the brunt of the attacks’ force.

In regard to the Force itself, she prefers once again a more defensive approach, trying to use her powers to sense the situation and build a “virtual image” of it before acting, instead of jumping headlong into the fight and using the Force to fight right away. In this, she is helped by the antennapalps with their ability to listen to the subsonic range, adding one more layer of data to what the Force and the standard senses can give her.

The Master and Her

The relationship with her Master hadn’t been the simplest, if so could be said.

When she first arrived on Susevfi, she really had little ideas of how things would work: she came there to save herself, without any knowledge but what that follower of the Jeensari she met told her. Her addiction to death sticks was a problem not everybody knew how to deal with but it was too important, too big into her life, not to be addressed.
The choice was made for Bourtain Vekku to take on the role of her Master as he knew about compulsions, about the nightmares derived from it and about the discipline needed to fend said compulsions off. He was the one that could relate the most with her addiction.

The start was rough: his very testy approach to teaching gave her plenty of problems. He often pushed her further, past whatever limit she had reached till then; she knew he could understand her, but at the same time, she sometimes felt like he didn’t want to, as if he rather had her alone fight her own demons than lending the help she knew he could provide. She felt like he didn’t care enough for her. While not the most vocal on her personal problems, there had been moments where she had screamed at him and even, a time or two, things had flown around, more in reaction than with purpose.

Not to mention, she had quite some sleepless nights fearing that her now Master would come and drink her brain out of her nostrils! Anzati weren’t the most friendly race that walked the galaxy at large and they had a reputation for being a dangerous one. She knew death sticks would kill her sooner or later, but being “sipped alive” wasn’t on the top of her “how to die” list nonetheless.

It wasn’t an idyllic relationship but, at the same time, on the long run, it gave her sometimes she might not have gotten if he had helped her a lot more: a trust into her abilities, a trust into the fact that she could do more than take death sticks until the end of her time. If he had her painfully fail many times, at the same time, when she succeeded, she knew she had done it, for real.

RP Sample:

Last edited by NightDreamer09; Apr 17th, 2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 02:14 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks Nightdreamer, looks great! I think Balosar should work out quite well.

Seeing that we've got five people interested I will circle back to give concrete thoughts quickly, say on or around Wednesday, but we've got plenty of time to tinker away at stuff.

As for the Force Powers, at this point you don't know the specific powers you could pick anyway, so I just want to get a general idea of what the character's focus might end up being to help me create a diverse group - physical prowess, swordfighting alone, defence, sensory things etc. Doesn't have to be extremely detailed.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6871
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Good luck with your game Phett! You already know what I'm like with SW, so I'll be passing this game up, but everyone is signing up for a great GM here!
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16343
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I'll second that! Phettberg is a great DM and if I had the time to do so I'd also be making up a character

But since I don't have the time, I'll just join my good luck with Marshmellow's on you having a good turnout Phett

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: Normal / Fri & Sat: Rairly Available
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 05:40 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15958
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
They aren't on the species list, but how would you feel about a harch?