Other Street Rats of Ur: Rebellion (Fellowship, PbtA) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 8th, 2021, 07:51 AM
Femme as Hecc

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8974
Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins
Street Rats of Ur: Rebellion (Fellowship, PbtA)

Game NameStreet Rats of Ur: Rebellion (Fellowship, PbtA)
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeUnlikely heroes fighting an unjust system
FlavourTeamwork, optimism, and player freedom
Plot Summary
Prelude"You are children of Uruk, the greatest city in the world. But our city has been controlled for too long by a dictator, and as true citizens we must stand up to him. Whatever the cost."

These were the words of your parents, leaders of the Rebellion. You knew what they did, but you never spoke about it. They kept it from you as much as they could. But no one in a rebellion is safe, least of all its leaders, and last night plunged you into their world without any hesitation. For last night, the Collectors came to your home and ruined everything.

Tall, humanoid, dressed in black: Collectors are terrible, terrifying monsters that answer only to the Council of Elders, and it is by their hands that your parents were snatched up into the darkness. You, however, escaped their clutches; perhaps hidden, perhaps too quick, perhaps something else. But now you are alone, without guidance or aid. Your only hope is to make it to the safehouse. Maybe, just maybe, there are adults there who can protect you.

Your parents, though? Being taken by the Collectors is a fate worse than death, every citizen of Uruk knows that. Their chances are slim. And now they will be coming after you. Hunting you for the rest of your life.

WelcomeStreet Rats of Ur: Rebellion is a spiritual successor to one of the first big, lasting games I joined on the site: Atalla Wanderer's own Street Rats of Ur. Though now a part of the expansive, homebrewed "Adnatu" setting and a winner of 2015's Hall of Fame, it started with the humble goal of telling a story of resistance from the perspective of true underdogs. This game hopes to tell that story again, with new players in a new system: Jacob Randolph's Fellowship.

Fellowship is a Powered by the Apocalypse roleplaying game about brave heroes fighting adversity and the thunderous might of the evil Overlord. But in the city of Uruk, the Overlord has already won; the dictator and their council has held the people in their iron grip for centuries. It is up to you to take up the mantle of your parents and reforge their rebellion. Together, you can seek out the aid of the citizens of Uruk, defeat the Empire's leaders, and take their sources of power for yourselves to create a better future for all. It won't be easy. But someone has to try.

Though a copy of the game will run you about $15, purchase of Fellowship or its expansion material will not be required from you as a player. I will be able to provide all of the necessary play materials, including the playbooks which you will be using to define your street rat and their place in Ur. I've provided a summary of these playbooks at the end of this post, as well as a link to those basic play materials.

Why Fellowship?
left-aligned image
A World of Fellowship
Cooperation is core to the experience of Fellowship. Each adventure will see you going out to a different section of the city in the hopes of finding fellowship there; in return for helping them with their struggles, you will forge bonds with them that will unlock powerful new abilities for your party. This theme repeats itself amidst yourselves, also; the bonds between party members, their companions, and even The Empire itself are essential to your success. And as your character levels up, you will even be able to learn the skills and abilities of your closest allies.

A World of History
Though we will be playing within the homebrewed Adnatu setting, we will not be beholden to its established lore. The broad strokes will be the same - the great Council of Elders, the eight districts and their dragon rulers, the Tower of Kings at the island's center and the Walls at its borders. But the rest will be left blank, for in Fellowship we play to find out what happens. That means that we will be developing the setting and the direction of the story together; the story of our own Adnatu, of which even I don't know in advance. Your core choice of playbook will give you narrative control over your people (their appearance, their abilities, their name and their claims), while I (as The Empire) will cover the rest. We will all be primary contributors, so show me your creativity!

Death Isn't the Only Way
In Fellowship, not all situations need to be resolved with violence. Key to this ethic is the Finish Them move, which covers all sorts of ways to remove a threat. Instead of killing them, you might force them to retreat, disable them, or show them the error of their ways. The same goes for your own livelihood; when all of your stats are damaged, you don't necessarily die. Being Taken Out just means that you're out of action for the rest of the scene. With such young protagonists, both of these features will be very relevant to our story.

Ease Of Use
As a Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA) roleplaying game, Fellowship is simple to learn and ready-made for the play by post structure we have here on RPGCrossing. In each round of play, I will be making moves that push you towards making hard decisions; in turn, you will act or react, and if appropriate we will use one of the game's many Moves to determine what happens next. All you'll need to know in advance are your principles, the things which I (and your fellow players) will expect of you:
  • Be heroic.
  • Create solutions, not problems.
  • Embrace the fantastic.
  • Always ask questions. Always answer questions.
  • Don't steal the spotlight, but shine when you have it.

Applications and ExpectationsWe will not be having the usual application process, but I also won't be taking a "first come, first serve" approach. Instead, I'd like you to make at least one application using the following format, but no more than two. Each should have a different playbook, so that if there is overlap between two players I can still accept you both! I'm looking for at least four players, but I will accept more if there is enough interest.
Application FormatCharacter Name: Be as creative as you like; your playbook will also have suggestions.
Age: Your street rat should be somewhere between 12-15 years of age. If you'd like to be an exception, like an adult or almost-adult, just ask and maybe we can work something out.
First Impressions: Tell me your pronouns, your size and shape, your general attitude or fashion. It doesn't have to be much. You may add a small, inlaid portrait if you wish.
Playbook: See the "Resources" section below.

What does it mean to be your playbook? Are the people of The Dwarf the keepers of gunpowder, or are they made of solid rock and metal? What kind of animal does The Beast represent? What crime did The Exile commit? You can find this option on the right side of the first page of your playbook, but feel free to give any other details about your people right now.

What do you know about Uruk? As a child, you don't know too much about the city beyond what I've stated earlier, but here is where you should get creative. Tell me what your district in the city does for Uruk (Steamworks? Farming?), or of rumours you've heard about one of the other playbooks (Do Orcs really eat bugs?). Things like that.

Player Triggers: Please include (in secret text if you prefer) any lines that you do not want to cross. This will have no repercussions on your selection; rather, this will give me (and your other players, anonymously) some initial boundaries to keep to. Uruk has room for cruelty within its walls, and as child protagonists you are likely to suffer hardship. But we can temper this to our wishes.

You may also fill out other potions of your playbook if you wish, but this is not required.

Resources
right-aligned image
The player resources for Fellowship are available for free HERE under a Creative Commons CC-BY-SA License. That's legal-speak for "you may copy and redistribute this material in any medium or format," like right here on this forum!

Fellowship only allows one of each Playbook. Of all of those released so far, there are 16 which seem relatively appropriate for the Street Rats of Ur. That might sound like a lot, but don't worry! Below, I've added a brief overview of each playbook which should help you get to grips with what you're getting into. There are other playbooks available in the resources I posted above (like the Heir), but talk to me about them first.

Last edited by Muggins; Feb 10th, 2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Femme as Hecc

Tools
User Statistics
Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins Muggins
Post reserved for applicants and stuff.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 12:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5704
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
Tentative interest, since I would definitely like to be an adult and will work hard to convince you I'm worthy of the exception

The Dragon Playbook
right-aligned image

Character Name: Shailagh Twinklesprite, A.K.A Sparkles

Reborn age: 30-ish. Combined age: Ooooooooooooooold!

First Impressions: Sparkles is a she. She is about the size of an owl. Her shape is that of an elegant miniature dragon with very, very ornate and colorful scales and feathery whiskers, eyebrows, beard. Sparkles has two set of wings. One set is leathery and vain-y - for actual flight. And the second, ephemeral and shimmer-y - for, well pretty much for pretty. She pretty, y'all!

Playbook: The Reborn Dragon

Shailagh was once a mighty dragon. It was not beyond the realm of possibility to say she was the mightiest dragon. In fact, if you were to ask her previous self, the answer would be, she most definitely was the mightiest dragon to ever dragon. Strong, fast, smart, wise, cunning! Nay! The strongest! The fastest! The smartest! The wisest! The most cunning!

The most humble!

Wait! What!?! No!

What she was, in fact, was a major pain in all the other dragons' tushies. So they decided to teach her a lesson. A lot of lessons, actually. And so they gathered and weaved their ancient and powerful dragon magics... And presto-change-o! Shailagh the Mightiest Dragon to ever Dragon was reduced to Shailagh Twinklesprite, A.K.A Sparkles. Tiny by dragon standards. Heck! Even by human standards. No bigger than a garden variety owl. And no longer wielding her once powerful dragon magic or strength, or speed. She had been left with some. But no more than a pittance.

Alas, lessons are nothing if slow to be learned. And in those very first days of her punishment Sparkles found herself in dire straights. Had it not been for the help of a certain someone, she would not have had the time to learn any new lessons.

But through the kindness of this individual she lived to learn another day. And has remained a faithful familiar to her savior and their family.

What does it mean to be your playbook? Sparkles doesn't have kin anymore. She is one of a kind. And it is quite a good thing she is not what she used to be. Or the simple knowledge of this would have made her impossible to be around and give her a huge head. As it stands, with quite a few lessons learned through her punishment, Sparkles is the only one of her kind simply because the dragons of old are either gone. Hiding. Or simply don't like to repeat their forms of punishment. That would be quite unimaginative indeed.

Now, Sparkles may be a shadow of her former self. Both in abilities and sensibilities. But girl still got it. She is cute as a button and can be deadly with it too. She's lost none of her draconic wisdom and cunning to make up for any deficits in size and physical attributes.

What do you know about Uruk? Sparkles is no longer someone who thinks of what she knows. She is someone who thinks of what else she can learn. And while she is fairly familiar with Uruk, well, from a bird's eye view at least. She is not above admitting there is still much to learn. Most of her life after her punishment was enacted was spent with the family of her savior.

Player Triggers: Somehow I don't think any of my triggers will come up in a game with child characters. Though I will say this...

And if that one doesn't work out... Plan B:

The Tinkerer
right-aligned image

Character Name: Ellie If this character gets picked up I was planning on having her be the Auntie of one of the runts I mean, who wouldn't want a cyborg tinkerer auntie, right TBA

First Impressions: Ellie is decidedly a she. Though one can't really tell when she is fully within her suit. She is a tiny woman with almost translucent white complexion. Her body seems more fit compared to when she was a child. But that's only thanks to living in her suit almost all the time. If she stays out of it for prolonged periods of time, her health will begin to deteriorate once more.

Ellie is gentile and introspective. But her whole being lights up when a new idea pops into her head and she immediately goes into overdrive in order to set it in motion. The child in her comes out to play whenever she's tinkering or working on a project and she is eager to share her ideas and inventions with anyone who would give her the time of day. An attitude rendered quite comic when she is in her suit. Which is rather intimidating in its appearance.

The suit itself is function over form and one could easily mistake Ellie for a man while she's inside it. The voice modulators distort her voice enough for it to be unrecognizable as that of a woman. And with it being quite spacier for Ellie's petite frame, there's no real need for it to conform to her body's size and contours.

Playbook: The Cyborg Tinkerer

The youngest of four children, Ellie was weak of body ever since she was little. However she was blessed with a beautifully creative and inventive mind. Not able to play about like all the other children her age, she turned all her attention and efforts to other activities. And with the limitations posed on her by her week constitution, those were most often than not activities of the mind. Early on she exhibited an aptitude for handiwork and tinkering. She would disassemble things and reassemble them without much effort.

And it wasn't much after that that she even began repairing old, broken things she was allowed to pull apart. She would then start to improve upon the things she would repair. And before too long she was designing her own little ingenious inventions. People started flocking to her home with things for her to fix. Or with commissions to build them new things. This put additional strain on her already dodgy health. She started to deteriorate quickly and the physicians and healers in Uruk could not help her.

So her parents started looking for solution to Ellie's deteriorating health all over the world. Until finally they discovered a Hail Mary. But it meant they would have to send their already weakened daughter far, far away. Not even knowing if she would survive the trip. And even if she did, there were no guarantees the treatment would help. But they knew with certainty that if she stayed in Uruk Ellie would eventually wither away and die.

And so they sent their youngest away with heavy hearts and only but a sliver of hope.

What does it mean to be your playbook? The cumbersome figure puffed and ticked and squeaked along the darkened rode. Its eyes glowing bright in the moonless night. Its steps purposeful. Sure. Thump. Thump. Tick. Squeak. Puff. Puff. Squeak. Thump. A symphony of oily motion. A cacophony of sounds.

Not the most inconspicuous traveler. And yet, one few would dare accost in the dead of night.

Thump. Thump. Squeak. Tick. Puff. The contraption proceeded along its way. A marvel of tinkering ingenuity. On and on it went. To Uruk. With purpose and urgency.

Inside, the figure moved with just as much economy and efficiency. Pressing buttons. Twisting valves. Pulling levers. Two sparkling ambers peered intently into the night through the eyes of the contraption. The clockwork suit carrying its fragile, precious cargo to the city of Uruk. To her home!

What do you know about Uruk? Ellie left Uruk when she was very young. All she remembers of it was her family's home, which she rarely left because of her weak constitution. The leathery smell of pelts being prepped and worked by her tanner parents. The din of working folk milling about and around their humble house. The sounds of leather working tools. Her mother and father's jovial quips and conversations. The gleeful gaggle of her siblings playing out and about. The people coming and going. Customers coming from far and wide to the best tanners and leather workers in all of Uruk! She is completely unaware of what is transpiring in Uruk nowadays.

Last edited by ihinka; Feb 10th, 2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 03:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2779
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
oh this looks fun! Super fun! PBTA, as a system, is a really fun system, which can breed fantastic creativity! Yes, throwing my hat in for this!
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 03:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2779
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
ApplicationCharacter Name: Be as creative as you like; your playbook will also have suggestions.
Age: Your street rat should be somewhere between 12-15 years of age. If you'd like to be an exception, like an adult or almost-adult, just ask and maybe we can work something out.
First Impressions: Tell me your pronouns, your size and shape, your general attitude or fashion. It doesn't have to be much. You may add a small, inlaid portrait if you wish.
Playbook: See the "Resources" section below.

What does it mean to be your playbook? Are the people of The Dwarf the keepers of gunpowder, or are they made of solid rock and metal? What kind of animal does The Beast represent? What crime did The Exile commit? You can find this option on the right side of the first page of your playbook, but feel free to give any other details about your people right now.

What do you know about Uruk? As a child, you don't know too much about the city beyond what I've stated earlier, but here is where you should get creative. Tell me what your district in the city does for Uruk (Steamworks? Farming?), or of rumours you've heard about one of the other playbooks (Do Orcs really eat bugs?). Things like that.

Player Triggers: Please include (in secret text if you prefer) any lines that you do not want to cross. This will have no repercussions on your selection; rather, this will give me (and your other players, anonymously) some initial boundaries to keep to. Uruk has room for cruelty within its walls, and as child protagonists you are likely to suffer hardship. But we can temper this to our wishes.

You may also fill out other potions of your playbook if you wish, but this is not required.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14929
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
I'm here as well in a semi-functioning capacity, as quasi-coDM or something or another. Muggins has plans, and I'm confident giving her reign of Adnatu for a new retelling of the original story. With the two of us on it, I have high expectations that this run at Street Rats will surpass the length and overcome the hurdles I faced in the first iteration.

It may be an unfamiliar system, but rest assured, you will get a Hall of Fame quality game.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 11:41 AM
Lanthanide

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30964
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla Wanderer View Post
...and overcome the hurdles I faced in the first iteration.
That would be me. I was a hurdle.

In all seriousness, Street Rats was awesome, and the new incarnation will be great, too.

And to anyone unsure about playing a child, do what I did and play a full-of-herself 15-year-old who thought they were already a grown-up.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 11:57 AM
Femme as Hecc

Tools
User Statistics
A thank you to everyone for the immediate interest and shout-outs! Really means a lot.

For what it's worth, I'm definitely expecting a dose of Avatar: the Last Airbender or She-Ra and the Princesses of Power with our kids. Think of it less like a restriction, and more like a license to be a little lighthearted, even in a world with bad things in it!

Last edited by Muggins; Feb 9th, 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 02:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9593
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
Muuuugggginnnns! I waaaant innnnnnn!
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Femme as Hecc

Tools
User Statistics
Well then you should write up a character or two, silly! You're more than welcome to give it a shot.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 04:24 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5425
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Application 1
right-aligned image
right-aligned image
right-aligned image
Character Name: Carassius Auratus Cyprinidae (Cara)

First Impressions: Cara uses She/Her pronouns. She has a slender build in all of her forms and tends to wear simple loose fitting clothing that can accommodate many shapes and sizes.
The word that would best describe Cara is passionate, and she has a tendency to wear her heart on her sleeve even in situations where it is unwise to do so. Consequently, she is tearing herself up with self-doubt as she wonders if she did or said the wrong thing when the wrong person was near? Is this horror somehow her fault? She is extremely protective of those she considers to be friends and of her home which just makes what the collectors did all the worse for her.
Playbook: Beast (Aquatic)
Hengeyokai are intelligent, shape-changing animals. Several sub-races exist, each a different type of animal. They are found throughout the world, usually on the fringes of human-settled lands. The ability to change shape is natural to hengeyokai. They are not lycanthropes and they do not have any of the symptoms of lycanthropy: they are not limited by cycles of the moon, are not especially susceptible to silver weapons, cannot transmit their power through wounds, and can not heal their own wounds merely by changing shape.

What do you know about Uruk?: Commerce can never stop in a city of Ur's size, and the dockyards are a central hub of that Commerce. Cara's family worked the Dockyards, their natural abilities making them a good fit for the work and it satisfied a deep seated desire for the water in their hearts. They found an unexpected comradery with the primarily orcish dock workers and were quickly taken in by them. The problem was that her family didn't agree with how the dock workers were treated and thought that if a group of them worked together they might be able to convince the powers that be to better their situation. That didn't go so well for them...

Player Triggers: I believe that the site's PG-13 rating should be sufficient to avoid any particularly triggering situations for me.

Application 2
right-aligned image
Character Name: Klaatu

First Impressions: Klaatu uses he/him pronouns. He is a small even for his age and has a twisted frame with an oversized head, large golden eyes and massive bat like ears. He could almost be mistaken for a large goblin if it weren't for his tusks and small nose. He wears his hair dreaded with small bone charms at the end of each lock, which rattle eerily with each lurching step he takes on mismatched legs. He wears the traditional battle garb of his people girded with a yellow sash to signify a vow of vengeance for the taking of his parents.

Playbook: Orc (Daughters of Chaos)
The Children of ChaosDgaz ro Girzum are a Matrilineal people who have dwelt in Uruk for as long as any of them can remember. Many think us dumber than a mule kicked goblin for our pride, but the Great MothersShum Krankniz tell us differently. They say we are a free people who will follow our own hearts and choose our own destinies not slaves to anyone, no matter how powerful or intimidating. The Beast FathersStz Unar interpret the will of the Goat = Dagri
Ox = Gorka
Shark = Azplb
Wolf = Scara
Eagle = Shakab
Bat = Tith
Serpent = Nakzom
Rat = Mikbrog
Great Beasts for us and show us our way forward.

What do you know about Uruk?: When people think of craftsmen they think of Dwarven masons, Elven shipwrights or Halfling chefs, but the Daughaveruk ro Chaouk have made more of Uruk than all of them combined. The thing is Orcs do not spend fifteen years making some glorious chamberpot that you're afraid to crap in. Instead we make what is needed quickly and without fuss. While others may call it clumsy or ugly, Orcish work does what it was meant for: Walls hold up roofs, food fills the belly, weapons kill. What more is needed?

Player Triggers: I believe that the site's PG-13 rating should be sufficient to avoid any particularly triggering situations for me.

Last edited by kanly; Mar 2nd, 2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14011
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Application One
right-aligned image
Character Name: Damien
Age: 14 (Body) Eternal (Soul) Or however long its been since the Collectors came.1 day (Gestalt)
First Impressions: They/Them. Damien appears to be a relatively normal, if a little shaggy and malnourished, young man. There is, however, something a little off-putting about his eyes. There is a strong sense of 'other' about him, as if he were experiencing everything for the very first time, even things that should seem commonplace.
Playbook: The Exile

What does it mean to be your playbook? It was a skittering, formless thing, born of the darkness. It looked down upon the boy with something akin to surprise. The Collectors were not known for overlooking anything. The boy lay motionless, as if dead. Was that why the Collectors had left him behind? The boy's eyes stared blankly, not seeing the monster above him. Why did he not run? Why did he not cower in fear? The dark thing looked more closely at the boy and noticed that he was broken. There was a something missing, deep inside. But if it looked even deeper than that, there was something hiding behind those blank orbs. Acceptance? Hope? Unbidden, uncertain, it reached out towards the boy...

Their eyes widened abruptly, overcome by an onrush of sensations. The dimly guttering remains of the fire seemed harshly bright. Light! The chill of the night mingled with the heat radiating from the still warm hearth. The scratchy sheets raked across skin. Everything was new. They could remember being a boy, a child. They had been injured, shattered forever by the Council's callous disregard. Their parents had refused to give up hope, caring for their son and rallying around him as the drive for their rebellion. They could also remember being the darkness that came in the night. Wait here. Kill anything that comes looking. They had always followed instructions. But there was something different now. It was a very strange sensation. They could remember their orders, but they could also feel something else... They could... not. They could disobey. They had a choice.

They remembered the pain and suffering that had been spread by the dictator's actions. They knew what pain and subfreezing were now, too. They were bad things. They also remembered having caused them. They hadn't enjoyed them. They had simply done these things. But now they knew regret. They looked around the empty room once more. Their parents were gone. Taken. There was nothing left for them here. Together, they stumbled out into the night. One more urchin, one more street-rat lost in the maze that was Uruk.

What do you know about Uruk? Damien's memories of Uruk are shattered and broken, but not just because of the rather chaotic nature of their bonding. They remember several different homes as their parents moved from district to district in search of employment. Last hired, first to be sent away when work ran dry, or when someone needed to be blamed. Sometimes there were others like them. Relatives? Friends? A place to stay for a night or two, perhaps as much as a week before it was time to move on again. A few times things seemed better and they'd stay in one place for a longer time. The house would begin to feel like a home, gathering the little pieces and memories that make a life. But it would always end, sooner or later. Someone would come home early, there would be a hushed discussion. Sometimes it became a loud discussion. Shouting. Sometimes there were just quiet tears. Then the next day, they would move on.

Towards the end, they finally stopped moving. There was a shantytown against the outer walls. It wasn't much. But the humans could settle there in comparative peace. There wasn't any work. But at least they had each other. Once a year or so, the Council would send the brute squad through to tear everything down, citing that they were becoming public nuisance, a fire risk, a disease vector, or a harbor for criminal activity. The excuse didn't really matter, did it? They'd destroy everything and the humans would scatter. But nobody else wanted them around, so eventually the humans would get pushed to the edges and buildings would start going up again, sometimes within just a couple of weeks.

Player Triggers: I am comfortable within the bounds of the site's PG-13 rating.

Application Two
right-aligned image
Character Name: Ariadne
First Impressions: She/Her. At a distance, Ariadne could be mistaken for a young woman of indeterminate species, perhaps a tall halfling or some kind of elf. She is clad from neck to toe in dark armor plates. A closer examination reveals that the armor fits exceedingly close to her sleek build and seems to meld directly into her flesh somewhere in the vicinity of her neck. She has distractingly large, expressive eyes (all the better to see you with). If get too caught up in them, you might miss the fact that everything else about her screams 'predator'.
Playbook: The Spider

What does it mean to be your playbook? Mother sat magnificent and bloated at the center of her Web, buying, selling and trading information to anyone who could play her price... or was willing to end up in her debt. Her daughter's very presence was a potential threat, but the child's existence remained tolerated... for now. Ariadne had already watched her sisters take their shot, one by one, each failing and being devoured for their hubris. Soon she would come of age and it would be her turn. There could only be one queen. For now, she could only watch. Watch and learn.

The Collectors changed the equation, however. The Council had made made demands of Mother, trying to coerce information about the rebels from her, trying to stop her from selling them information... or have her feed them the Council's lies. They didn't understand how the system worked. They thought they were above it all, that Mother was subject to them. When Mother laughed off their impotent ultimatums, the Council sent their monsters to take her. Ariadne almost felt a twinge of pity for the Council. If they were going to go this far, they probably should have just killed her. Instead they had summoned her into their presence. Did they know what they had brought into their nest? Did they understand? Ariadne wasn't quite sure how to feel. If Mother was gone then she was... safe. Free? Queen in her own right? But at the same time, her pride would not allow this insult to pass unpunished. The Council thought themselves untouchable. It was time they learned better.

What do you know about Uruk? No city gets as large as Uruk without being built on the bones of that which came before. Layer upon layer, each city thinking itself important, each thinking only the surface mattered. But the tunnel dwellers and the diggers and the things that fall into the cracks understand that Uruk is only skin deep. Beneath the superficial metropolis beats the true heart of a city. An infinite, unmappable, unknowable network of tunnels, sewers, caverns and caves runs below. The detritus of a civilization. To those that hazard these depths, there are paths that will take you anywhere you want to go, spanning districts, ignoring walls and boundaries. From dripping smuggler caves near the dockyards, to mansion cellars, long walled-up and forgotten. The Undercity is vibrant and alive in its own way. Anybody who is unwelcome above might find a home below, if they can survive the darkness. It will consume the unwary.

Player Triggers: I am comfortable within the bounds of the site's PG-13 rating.

Characters: Del Corgan Iris Kettering Caleb Shaw Deirdre Venteuse John Alias
Zenda Squire Gainsboro Baruuk Talonface Konstantin Lumyn Taif Bavha

Last edited by hafrogman; Feb 11th, 2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 08:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9593
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
Applications (WIP)

Hoyoma of the Sparkling Rain
right-aligned image
Character Name:

Hoyoma (or "Hoyo" if we're friends!)

Playbook: Rain

First Impression:
A strange little sprite from the swamps of Ba'erutu, Hoyoma wears outlandishly short skirts with long stockings and a heavy sweater. Hoyo's liquid body glitters with colorful light--an awkward contrast to the rest of the dark, brackish water of Ba'ertu. This is one of the reasons why Hoyo always wears dark colored clothing and carries a deep blue umbrella: to shield uses "they/them" to describe themself, but doesn't mind "she" pronouns (they present as feminine as well)their light from others. Shy and afraid to stand out, Hoyo is hoping that they'll one day have the courage to make true companions and friends.
What does it mean to be a character from this playbook?Once upon a time, all the rain sprites sparkled in the light...
Or at least, so Grandmama once told Hoyo. As far as Hoyo knows, no one has ever met a rain sprite whose liquid body glitters a clear and rainbow color. But Hoyo was different from the day they were born, a strange sparkling gem among the rest of the coal-colored rain sprites. It was no wonder that Hoyo had difficulty making friends, and no matter how often Grandmama said that Hoyo was special, Hoyo always felt that being the brightest of the bunch was terribly lonely.

So it is that Hoyo spends their days tending to their duties alone. Terribly boring duties. Like, checking the water salinity for various waterways. Cleaning up trash left by careless undines and merfolk. Or helping some local Grippli with their fishing expeditions. If only the Grippli were more sociable, maybe Hoyo would actually find a friend!

What does Hoyo know about Uruk?The swamps of Ba'erutu are a terribly droll place...
Hoyo wishes that they could travel across Uruk and see all the wondrous places and people! Having lived their life secluded in the muddy swamps of Ba'erutu, how great would it be to get to see the forests of Nakisu? Or the great rolling plains of Erresu? Why Hoyoma's parents and the rest of the sprites stay cooped up in the backwaters of Ba'erutu is a mystery to Hoyo.

Only Grandmama seems to entertain Hoyo's desire to travel the reaches of Uruk. Grandmama tells Hoyo fantastic stories about the wonders of Uruk and strange tales about what life was like for the water sprites in ancient times. Hoyo is old enough to know that most of Grandmama's stories are just fictional fancies and exaggerations, but in the boonies of Ba'erutu, Grandmama's imagination is the only thing that prevents Hoyo from dying from boredom.
Player Triggers:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hiclipart.com.png
Views:	347
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	89520  

Last edited by dalarangreen; Feb 10th, 2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 08:42 PM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19901
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
Amazing! Fond memories of version 1, though I wasn’t involved all that much. I will have to see what time I have on my hands to jump in, but color me interested!

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Outplay 2021 is live!
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 10:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5924
Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Sulaiman Bishara

First Impressions: He/Him. Mostly average build, though a bit on the scrawny side. Clean, mousy hair, regularly brushed. Caramel skin, very clean. Dresses in bright colors, aesthetically accessorized with jewelry, well taken care of with the occasional patch in the clothing here and there. Always has a friendly smile, but seems a bit on edge, bouncing slightly as if in anticipation of something, not quite able to properly stand still. Seemingly very protective of his possessions by the way he keeps them close in the company of others. Has a constant appraising eye, as if judging the worth of anything he comes across or trying to take the measure of any individual he meets.

Playbook: The Magic Collector

What does it mean to be your playbook?: Amazing arcane artifacts! Fantastical fabulous fortunes! Spellbinding splendiferous spoils! The world is full of mystery, unknown unknowns which are like so much smoke, beyond the grasp of mere mortals no matter how tightly they grip and pull and flail about in the dark. But not all mysteries remain formless, not all riddles meant to remain impossibilities relegated to the deepest corners of one's imagination. Those who have delved deeper than any other, farther than any other, and much longer than one can comprehend, if they are not lost in their travels, can crystallize these mysteries into truly wonderous treasures, thoughts turned to power and dreams made reality. And it is the duty and privilege of those curious and foolish enough to follow in the footsteps of these dark delvers to unearth these manifested miracles and allow them to gleam proudly in the light of day, so that others may know what their mastery has wrought. For those who come from far and wide to behold the objects of power, the Collector must be prepared to take them on a journey through the mist veiled past, each new find inspiring not one tale but a thousand, each as true as the last as they paint a world beyond myth to light the spark of the adventurous soul.

The men and women of AVRA are proud to take on such a task and to lead others down the road less taken, their collective efforts of uncovering the magical mysteries of the world on full display for all to admire. To the outside world, they are fanciful storytellers and eccentric ramblers into the unknown, but to each other, they are family.

Sulaiman beheld the fruits of his extended family's labor with pride, beaming happily upon the magical menagerie they had collected, catalogued, and put on display in their museum. Generations of chasing shadows and risking their very souls to separate mere myth from the grandly mythical. One day, it would be his turn, and all the world would come to Uruk to behold the magnificent jewel he would lay upon the crown of this magical gallery, and his name would go down in history for parting the shadows on another chapter of the world's lost antiquity.

What do you know about Uruk?: Central Uruk is always a bustling hive of activity, not only because of the locals going this way and that conduct their business, but due to the gaggles of visitors to the city who come here in droves to take in the local culture, and among the popular stops one would be expected to visit would be the Museum of Magical Mysteries, a not so humble edifice of polished marble and sandstone run by an organization of relic hunters, . Solomon is familiar with the ebb and flow of traffic around the city center, the rush that takes place at the busiest times, the best places to eat vs. the most needlessly expensive tourist traps, and the little known fact that AVRA keep all the really dangerous or worrisome artifacts in their private collection somewhere in the museum's living quarters where they make their home, guarded under lock and key and who knows what else besides.

Also, seeing as he has a keen interest in history, Sulaiman would know a few esoteric factoids regarding Uruk's past, seemingly useless bits of trivia which he himself finds fascinating.

Player Triggers: Nothing in particular on my part.

Last edited by Crocodile; Feb 23rd, 2021 at 05:20 PM.