Game Thread Chapter 2C Up a level, Down a level - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Everflame Heroes
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
BTW, you guys might want to wait until Usko goes, since he has the ability to report more on what he saw. Or not.

------------------

The tunnel is only about 10 feet high here. Xanna will still be in the swarm if she goes up the wall.

She can do a move action--up to 30 feet, yes? Though remember she's at half speed when on the wall or ceiling (or moving into a caltrop square if she doesn't want to risk stepping on one). Indicate where you want her to go.

Last edited by Kevin; Apr 4th, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Adam Adam is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Adam
Posts: 126
Hm. Can she reasonably backtrack to a square that's not in the bat swarm? Her goal is to get to a position from which she can reasonably destroy the swarm while not provoking an opportunity attack or jeopardizing allies.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
Definitely. Swarms don't make attacks of opportunity, and you can move through them.Go into any square. Also if you walk up the wall, you an share a square with a companion.

Note, of course, that the swarm can move too on its turn.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Theroniac's Avatar
Theroniac Theroniac is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 17th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Theroniac
Posts: 218
Room just beyond bend. Kobolds ripe for blinding and area attacks.
Usko decides to help with the swarm.
Flurry of blows: +5/d6+4, +5 d6+4 - blessing +1/+0, +1/+0 ?

Last edited by Kevin; Apr 4th, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
We're in standard limited communication rounds. Up to 10 words = free action. 11-20 = move action. 21-30 = std. action. 31-50 = full round action.

And while Usko technically said 11 words, we'll count it as 10. Not that it makes any difference.

--------------------

Usko furiously punches and kicks at the bat swarm, to no measurable effect!

There's too many of them! [1]

----------

Same map as before. Durgor, Xanna, and Stephan still get to do their turns.

[1] It was in character for him to do this, but swarms of diminutive creatures are "immune" to weapon damage. Given how many creatures there are relative to how many you hit, an attack essentially does 0.05 damage or something like that--you'll be dead long before the swarm.

Stephan and Lorry fought a bat swarm in the previous adventure. Lit torches do a small amount of damage; flasks of nasty stuff (acid/alch. fire) work vs. crawling swarms but not flying ones; area-effect spells work very nicely.

Last edited by Kevin; Apr 4th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Theroniac's Avatar
Theroniac Theroniac is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 17th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Theroniac
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
[1] It was in character for him to do this, but swarms of diminutive creatures are "immune" to weapon damage. Given how many creatures there are relative to how many you hit, an attack essentially does 0.05 damage or something like that--you'll be dead long before the swarm.
Yeah, but Usko has cleave and flurry of blows, so shouldn't it be 0.1 instead
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Lanorolen Lanorolen is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Lanorolen
Posts: 478
Spread out so tha swarm can't get us all at once!

Durgor will wait until Xanna goes, move through Usko's square, to here:



#####D#
###bU,#
###X####
###b#
###S#
##..#
##.#
##.#
...#
#


Or to the square immediately south of that, and throw his javelin at whoever killed the girl, if that is obvious, or at the king, if not. If neither target is convenient, he'll throw at whoever is.

Javelin: +6/1d6+5 (javelins are DEX to hit and STR damage, right?)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Lanorolen Lanorolen is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Lanorolen
Posts: 478
That swarm was the reason that Lorry took burning hands. Sadly, kobolds aren't as easy to kill as bats... :P
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
Durgor can go the the indicated square above, but it's a double move...or he risks stepping on a caltrop. If he goes half-speed, he can go the the square immediately to the east of Usko. Please confirm where he moves.

Also, just a theoretical here, but what will Durgor do if the likely killer and/or king have cover? Will he still throw at them, or will he pick an easier target?

Last edited by Kevin; Apr 4th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Adam Adam is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Adam
Posts: 126
((I may not get to post for a bit, so...))

Stephan, back up: I need room! Xanna then moves south. Since she's Distracted, that's probably all she gets to do this round.

Her goal is that, once she's not distracted, she casts Burning Hands, angling however she needs to (standing on the wall, etc) so she hits the bats but not her allies. (3d4 acid damage, Save DC 15 for half)
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Lanorolen Lanorolen is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 10th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Lanorolen
Posts: 478
Why is it a double move? First diagonal is 5', doubled to 10', right? Or does it not work like that?

If they both have cover, I'll invoke the "inconvenient" clause, and throw at somebody who doesn't have cover.

Durgor is of the opinion that the slaughter of an innocent girl requires the death of every kobold involved - that would be all of the ones defending the king, any he finds out were involved in the raid, plus maybe some extras if he's in a bad mood. The deal about trying to keep them alive ended when that girl's heart exited her chest, so honestly he doesn't much care who he kills first.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
Quote:
Why is it a double move?
Oops you're right. I was thinking it was a doorway, so no diagonal, but in fact it's a hewn passage, so you can make the diagonal step.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 11:38 PM
smirnov smirnov is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 18th, 2011
RPXP: 0
smirnov
Posts: 299
Stephan will drop back 5' to give Xanna room to work

"Usko, durgar - advance!"

Stephan will cast guidance on himself
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Theroniac's Avatar
Theroniac Theroniac is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 17th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Theroniac
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Stephan moves somewhat closer and casts Bless on the party. [1]

[1] For the next minute everyone is at +1 to hit.
That's 1 min/level = 3min , yes? *

* and also 1 min/level = 3min on the +2 AC and saving throw from prot evil for Usko and the +4 str for Durgor
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 6th, 2011
RPXP: 0
Kevin
Posts: 579
Huh, yeah, looks like Bless is now 1 min/level. In D&D 3.5 it was 1 minute flat. So yeah, 3 minutes on that.

Rather than go semi-private, I'm showing the map here, but bear in mind that Stephan and Xanna haven't seen into the room.

------------------

Stephan casts Guidance on himself and backs up a bit, allowing Xanna to move out of the swarm.

Durgor moves slowly through the caltrops, which seem to fill the corridor, and steps into the doorway near the next room.

Holy sh...

Ptok! Ptang! Ptang! Ptok! Ptang! PTHUNK! Ptang! Ptok! Ptok! THUCK! Ptok! Ptang! Ptok!

A wave of javelins and sling bullets go flying at Durgor! One javelin and one sling bullet finds a mark, but the rest bounce off his armor or hit the far wall.

Grr...

The kobold king, tall, bright red, and resplendent with his crown, stands on his throne and points his finger at Durgor. Two balls of red light streak across the room: they go straight through Durgor's armor and punch small but painful holes into his chest.

Gah!

Durgor has a clear shot at the king, so he throws a javelin. The king starts to sidestep, but the javelin is going to hit...then it deflects off an invisible field inches away from the king's body.

Mage Armor!

The swarm stays on top of Usko, and moves to on top of Durgor--the one other person within reach--as well.

Arrgh!

Arrgh!

Xanna recovers her bearings.

------------
[next round]

Two of the kobolds pull out more javelins and throw again at Durgor. [1] One javelin goes wide, but the other sinks into his thigh!

Yipe!

Xanna casts burning hands at the swarm. Large numbers of bats fall to the ground, their wings shredded by the blast of acid...as they hit the ground the falling bats wink out of existence! However, many more bats remain flying, so the swarm remains equally nasty. How annoying I didn't get it in one shot, but one more hit should wipe it out. [2]

-------------------------
b = bat swarm. Bats are also in Usko's and Durgor's square.
, = caltrops
. = floor
K = kobold in studded leather armor, javelin, sword, and shield
k = unarmored kobold, dagger and sling
W = all white kobold holidng a blood-red flaming dagger. He appears to be concentrating. At the moment he has cover--the "K" kobolds in front of him appear to be deliberately shielding him.
C = Kobold with Crown. He holds a mace with a head shaped like a small, jagged human skull on one hand.
g = the body of a human girl. It looks like her chest was carved open and her heart removed! Blood is tricking out of the body.


##########
####..Ck######
###kKKKkWg....
##.kkkkKKk..#
##.........##
###.,,,...##
#####D#####
###bUb#
###.####
###.#
###X#
##.S#
##.#
##.#
...#



Usko takes 1 damage from swarm; that and the earlier bat bites make 3 total. Usko may act normally. However, all the wounds from the bat swarm are making him bleed 1 point/round starting the end of this round until he receives magical healing or a DC10 heal check.


Durgor took 8 damage total from the two javelin hits, 1 from the sling bullet, 9 from the magic missiles, and 2 more from the swarm. That and 6 damage from the previous swarm bites makes 26 total. Durgor may act normally this round. However, all the wounds from the bat swarm are making him bleed 1 point/round starting the end of this round until he receives magical healing or a DC10 heal check.

[1] The two "K" kobolds on the left just threw javelins. The kobolds had been readying an action to do ranged attacks on the first person they had an clear shot at. Since Durgor triggered that, they then went into initiative vs. Durgor. He rolled well, so only 2 kobolds beat him; the others lost.

[2] That was Xanna's standard action, as previously posted. Xanna may still do a move action if she wishes to move.

Durgor, Stephan, and Usko can each do a full turn now.

Last edited by Kevin; Apr 5th, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB