Game Thread Ch 1. ~ Under New Management - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Law of the Jungle
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Xian's Avatar
Xian Xian is offline
Great Wyrm
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 29974
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Posts: 11,013


Sir Issac Bancroft

"Well, we might as well put it down... I mean we already attacked and critically wounded the damned thing." Issac says somewhat reluctantly. He agrees with Syritu to a degree and does not feel good about finishing a helpless foe, but the group already made that call when they decided to attack the beast, who very well may have only been only defending its territory. "Let's do it swiftly so that it does not suffer and get on with it."



 
__________________
Posting Status: On Hiatus... again. Gomen.
"The only way to do the impossible is to believe that they are possible."
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
  #32  
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Gunslinger 19's Avatar
Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 9th, 2014
RPXP: 733
Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19
Posts: 1,171

Marcello "Marc" Corand

Looking carefully at the expressions on Diann're and Issac's faces to confirm their opinions, Marcello sighed. "I guess it's decided, then. I'll do the dirty work; If the pit's duration was only five rounds then it should be disappearing any second nowit won't take long. You all can get moving if you want to. I'll catch up."

He unsheathed his rapier, eyes watchful on the unconscious form for any sign of movement. Like he'd said, he really didn't think it was getting back up, but it was best to be certain.

 
__________________
Been really busy with work so I can't participate in games much. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Gunslinger 19; Aug 19th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.
  #33  
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Schniderman's Avatar
Schniderman Schniderman is offline
Goblin Slayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2023
RPXP: 3292
Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman
Posts: 2,072
Beyond the Grove
left-aligned image
The tiger headed beast breathes its last as Marcello neatly lances his rapier through its heart. The unsteady rise and fall of its chest halts, and a weak trickle of blood dribbles from its mouth to the soil below, dying it a dark, rusty color. As he said, it didn't take long; only the briefest of moments really. Just what exactly the chimeric thing was or where it came from, no one could say, but it wouldn't be troubling the expedition any longer.

As the group moved past the bloody encounter, the thickness of the roots underfoot gradually waned. The towering kapok trees became more and more sparsely interspersed, until it was clear that the company had exited the grove proper. On the whole though it was a rough few miles to move the company through, and the process took several hours. It is now late afternoon, though the sun is still up and it is still as bright and warm as it gets beneath the overhanging canopy.

You are well beyond the area that Lomi had scouted to, and any further progress will be made 'blind' unless you choose to camp and have her check ahead. Moving alone is a dangerous prospect though, and although she's prepared (eager even) to go on your orders, in the worst case she might not return. At any rate, waiting for her report would take hours, and the company would likely not move again today unless you decide to march through the night.

OOCHaving Lomi scout an adjacent hexagon takes 1 hour if it is lightly forested, 2 if it is moderate, and 3 if it is heavily forested. The tricky part is that you don't know how densely forested the hex is before sending her to scout. Alternatively, you can always go the way of Adventure! and find your own path as you go; a little more random, but also faster (Plus you might find something you didn't even know you were looking for )
  #34  
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Caveman's Avatar
Caveman Caveman is offline
Pure Scotch beef.
Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 1st, 2019
RPXP: 4695
Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman
Posts: 2,686
Dian
Diann're L'keith

As the strange creature is put out of its misery, Dian's brain is already thinking about the mercantile opportunities that might present themselves - after all if nature provides you with lemons, the only intelligent response is to exploit those lemons in a profitable, lemon-based enterprise of some sort. Dian shakes her head - this is no time for lemons after all. But that creature was not natural, and may well be worth something. Dian approaches the corpse, examines it and calls out.

"I wonder if the creature has anything of value - would the pelt, or the teeth, or the claws sell once we get back to market do you think? And we should consider the Kapoks as well - they may be harvestable for something - anyone know about the trees?"

****

As the group move past and through the Kapok grove, and into unexplored territory, Lomi's desire to scout alone is clear, but time is precious. Speaking to the partners, Dian suggests a compromise.

"Why don't we push on into the northern jungle ourselves, but send Lomi to scout parallel with us? That way we make progress, but if there is danger or opportunity close by, we can divert as needed."

Dian indicates o a crude map sketched in the earth with a kapok branch that the main caravan heads north and slightly west, while Lomi scouts north and slightly east, circling back to meet the main group as she's able.
 

__________________
Iron DM 2008 (Runner-up)
  #35  
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 05:20 PM
Schniderman's Avatar
Schniderman Schniderman is offline
Goblin Slayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2023
RPXP: 3292
Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman
Posts: 2,072
Rolls
  • The bizarre mixing of colorations on the Tigrilla's pelt could fetch a fair price, as far as trade goods go. Moreover, since little of the damage was slashing (and what was slashing was from small or tiny sources) the pelt is mostly in tact. On the flip side, no one in the caravan is particularly experienced with tanning and preparing hides; the value of the pelt would deteriorate significantly if it isn't preserved properly and begins to rot. Your guess is at peak condition, the pelt would sell for 59 gold pieces.
  • Kapok trees fruit yearly with pods that produce a cottony fiber, but the tree does not currently seem to be in season. Also, harvesting these cotton pods is notoriously labor intensive.
  • You can't quite recall, but you think you remember seeing cotton for sale in local markets quite cheap, selling for only 2 gold pieces per square yard of fabric.

Last edited by Schniderman; Aug 21st, 2014 at 05:20 PM.
  #36  
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 02:06 AM
Xian's Avatar
Xian Xian is offline
Great Wyrm
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 29974
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Posts: 11,013


Sir Issac Bancroft

"Well considering that we are in the middle of the jungle with limited supplies and our objective for this little excursion is a secret temple somewhere, my take is that the juice is not worth the squeeze." Issac says as he listens to Dianne's suggestion. "One, I don't we have the time or the expertise presently to skin an properly preserve the pelt an even still I don't think it will fetch us the price that would make it worth the trouble."

"As for Lomi, I say we stay together. Linking up between two moving elements is difficult to do and especially in the environment that we are in. Hate to lose good talent."



 
__________________
Posting Status: On Hiatus... again. Gomen.
"The only way to do the impossible is to believe that they are possible."
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
  #37  
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
grenadierman's Avatar
grenadierman grenadierman is offline
Tom Cruise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 4th, 2021
RPXP: 6866
grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman
Posts: 4,157

Syritu Talec

Syritu nods in agreement with Issac's response about skinning it and says, "In my tribe we would usually strip its teeth and claws for decoration..and maybe sharpen it into a spearhead, but we have little time for these luxuries right now." As they head further deeper into the jungle and Diann're brings up sending the scout in parallel she replies, "The Sir is right Diann're... there are things, dreadful things in this jungle that would strip you of your life before you could call for help. We should just push on together as he said."

 

__________________
Purge as Corporal Pasam Molta
  #38  
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 04:35 PM
Gunslinger 19's Avatar
Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 9th, 2014
RPXP: 733
Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19 Gunslinger 19
Posts: 1,171

Marcello "Marc" Corand

Allowing the others to come to their own conclusions, Marcello sat up on a nearby tree branch, cleaning his blade. Occasionally he glanced around for movement, but for now he was preoccupied with his own thoughts to keep watch. He was thinking of the old man, of course.

He hadn't known Rani for very long, but in the time he had known him, it had seemed that he had known Marc better than anybody could. Rani had understood him. Had sympathized with his spirit of adventure. Marcello regretted that he hadn't been able to say anything back when the man had died. He'd been too overcome with emotion. Trying to speak had been like trying to breathe in a vacuum. There'd been an intense pain in his throat. He'd looked away into the forest so that no one could see his eyes watering. Eventually he'd just walked away, unable to take it any more.

Thank you, old man. Thank you for giving me this opportunity. We'll find your treasure and make you proud. I promise.

 
__________________
Been really busy with work so I can't participate in games much. Sorry about that.
  #39  
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 11:21 PM
Schniderman's Avatar
Schniderman Schniderman is offline
Goblin Slayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2023
RPXP: 3292
Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman
Posts: 2,072
Stone Structure
left-aligned image
As the company continues on its northward trail, forgoing scouting in favor of the safety numbers provide, the unnatural air of the Tigrilla's lair is left behind you. The sounds of howling apes and cawing strange birds fills the air, leaving you without a moment of silence. The canopy is thinner here, sunlight sifting in through the branches and leaves and bringing with it a comfortable light and warmth.

Throughout the hours of trekking the porters chat amidst themselves of the day's earlier excitement, finding it as gripping a topic as any to while away the long hours of hauling food and other supplies. The focus of the conversation seems to be wild conjecture about how such a creature came into being; with the prevailing theory being by and large inappropriate. Their nattering wears on, and it's clear that Rahdma is growing tired of it.

"For the last time, it does not work that way. A tiger and an ape cannot-" The doctor's thickly accented protests falter on his lips as a the group crests a small hill, the greenery parting enough to see a weathered structure ahead. Made from stone, most of it sits low and squat to the ground. Whether it is a building or some other sort of construction is uncertain. Mosses, vines, and other growth covers its every surface, so that only the barest bit of gray stone shows through. The whole structure spans about twenty feet across, with a raised portion in the middle ten feet across; its highest point seems about ten feet high, and in the raised portion there looks to be a recess or alcove of some sort.
  #40  
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Caveman's Avatar
Caveman Caveman is offline
Pure Scotch beef.
Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 1st, 2019
RPXP: 4695
Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman
Posts: 2,686
Dian
Diann're L'keith

Cheerfully bantering with the good doctor, Dian interrupts his protests.
"Quite wrong, doctor, quite wrong. When I was at the Aracnaeum there was a student a couple of years above me - I shall not name names of course - who was the younger son of a faily eminent local noble. Now this "gentleman" was a very great enthusiast of horses. Really very great. Quite loved the animals. His own stallion was a black beast called "Fire" and the young man specifically took advanced transmutation in order to be able to cast magics that would turn him into a mare - and I know for a fact that he spent many nights in the stables with his stallion doing a...wow, what's that?"

Pointing at the low structure, Dian makes a rapid assessment of it, recalling her knowledge of engineering and religious practice to try and identify a possible function or cultural epoch for the thing.


 

__________________
Iron DM 2008 (Runner-up)
  #41  
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Schniderman's Avatar
Schniderman Schniderman is offline
Goblin Slayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2023
RPXP: 3292
Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman
Posts: 2,072
Dian's Knowledge
  • Dian knows that the ancestor worship practiced by the Mwangi in these parts doesn't normally call for dedicated structures for worship. Instead, each household usually keeps two small idols in their huts; one to represent their male dead and one for female dead.
  • Dian knows that the structure ahead of her is old. Incredibly old. The construction is both extremely ancient and unlike any workmanship Dian has ever seen. You suspect it even predates Ancient Osirion, making the structure more than eight thousand years old.
  • None of the surrounding vegetation or other natural features are unusual.
  #42  
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 12:49 AM
Xian's Avatar
Xian Xian is offline
Great Wyrm
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 29974
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Posts: 11,013


Sir Issac Bancroft
Issac looked over the structure in interest. He guessed this is what he came out here on this expedition. To find unexplored place, to go where no man or woman has gone before, and plunder it for its hidden riches... perhaps also to look for little danger and action. The structure did not correspond to any of the religious or local practices that Issac was aware of. Which meant one of two things, that the structure was built by people that were not from around here or it was built way before the current time. Both possibilities seemed plausible.

"Well, the damned place is not going to explore itself and answer our questions with us just standing around and gawking..." Issac sighed. "...so come on lets get this quest on the road."



 
__________________
Posting Status: On Hiatus... again. Gomen.
"The only way to do the impossible is to believe that they are possible."
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Xian; Sep 3rd, 2014 at 01:02 AM.
  #43  
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Caveman's Avatar
Caveman Caveman is offline
Pure Scotch beef.
Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 1st, 2019
RPXP: 4695
Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman Caveman
Posts: 2,686
Gaping, Dian looks long and hard at the structure buried in the jungle.

"That thing is ancient, I mean really ancient. I wonder if it's the temple we're seeking. I can see nothing else notable down there, so let's go and take a look shall we? We should probably get the caravan set up for camp up here - good visibility, defensible raised position. Anyone else coming to explore with Isaac and me?"

Looking over her shoulder, Dian starts down the overgrown slopes towards the building with her notebook in hand, sketching it as they approach.
__________________
Iron DM 2008 (Runner-up)
  #44  
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 01:42 PM
grenadierman's Avatar
grenadierman grenadierman is offline
Tom Cruise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 4th, 2021
RPXP: 6866
grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman grenadierman
Posts: 4,157

Syritu Talec

"Oh my! This place is old..very old. We used to have stories in our village of places like these, where our ancestors climbed out of for the first time to see the sun and moon. Ah. " Syritu gives her spear a quick wipe and polish and says, "I will go with you. It may be interesting to see what lies beneath."

 

__________________
Purge as Corporal Pasam Molta

Last edited by grenadierman; Sep 10th, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
  #45  
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Schniderman's Avatar
Schniderman Schniderman is offline
Goblin Slayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 10th, 2023
RPXP: 3292
Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman Schniderman
Posts: 2,072
Closer Inspection
left-aligned image
With the company setting up camp after the long day's march, and the company's leaders heading down to investigate the mysterious structure below the rise, normalcy seems to be returning to the West Garund Expeditionary CompanyWGEC. Certainly, compared to this morning people seem to be in higher spirits. Honali and Barwick have set up canteen and stewed up enough potatoes, carrots and jerked meat to feed everyone; Nino's worked out the guard schedule with his boys; and everyone else has more or less settled for the night.

As Diann're, Isaac, Syritu, and Marcello head out, Alkhet drains his bowl of stew and hurries after you all. At a jog, he catches up shortly after you've passed the camp's perimeter. "Aha! I'll come along too, I am curious to see what's down there." He wets his lips and briefly dry washes his hands, a combination of gestures that give the unfortunate semblance of a house fly. At any rate, he seems enthusiastic about the company's most recent find, chuckling and tittering quietly to himself. From what you know of Alkhet, that's not unusual.

You soon reach the clearing and the structure, and you quickly find that it has no doors to speak of, just a flat stone base and a raised monolith in the center. Up close though, you can see that the walls of the monolith are chiseled with pictographs and archaic script, though much of it is covered by moss and lichen.

Upon setting foot on the laid stonework of the base, it feels as though you've pushed through a veil dividing 'within' and 'without'. An instinctive understanding wells up within you that this place is distinct from the world around it. Though this feeling is difficult to put into words, something else is just as strange but far more worldly: the air smells thick with blood, far too thick.

In the course of your adventures you have been no strangers to violence, but a scent such as this would take many dozens of gallons of fresh spilt blood. Despite this, across the whole of the structure there is no stain or sign of blood; only the dark gray of the stone and the vivid green of the encroaching plant life.

The recessed bit of the monolith that you saw from afar houses a low altar, rising to waist height. The center of the altar's surface is inclined and angled back to form a sort of stand, and resting on it is a meticulously carved stone mask. This altar seems to be the only part of the structure that's been spared the relentless intrusion of the jungle's growth.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB