Game Thread Archery contest - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Moonwhisper's Avatar
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper is offline
Easy goings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4866
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper
Posts: 2,161
Archery contest

ooc
Dag Krwyn, je mag hier direct verdergaan met het vervolg op de vorige post in de main thread. Ik ben nog even aan het nadenken over een spelvorm, zodat het ook echt een wedstrijd lijkt. Daar kom im wel uit. Zal wel iets worden van een D20 roll en dan zo dicht mogelijk bij de 10 o.i.d. Ik heb bedenktijd tot jouw volgende post
  #2  
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Krwyn Krwyn is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2019
RPXP: 295
Krwyn Krwyn Krwyn
Posts: 383
As Grauwerd walks around the festival terrain, he reaches finally an archery contest. As he is an avid archer, he stands and watches the ongoing contest, waiting for the next possibility to join the game. Most contestants are mediocre archers as they are obviously recreational shooters, but some stand out amongst the crowd.
While he waits, he checks his bow, controls the tension of his string and looks for his best arrows.
  #3  
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Moonwhisper's Avatar
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper is offline
Easy goings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4866
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper
Posts: 2,161
oocOK, de spelregels voor de booschietwedstrijd zijn als volgt.
Je rolt een 1d10 met daarbij opgeteld je DEX en STR modifier. Wanneer je een nature check DC 15 haalt mag je er ook nog +2 bij optellen voor het inschatten van de windsnelheid. Je wint wanneer je hoger scoort dan de tegenstander. Uiteraard worden de tegenstanders steeds moeilijker.

Ik heb een dicethread gemaakt waar je de dobbelstenen kunt rollen. Het mag ook in de thread zelf, kijk maar wat je prettig vindt.

Last edited by Moonwhisper; Sep 7th, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
  #4  
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Krwyn Krwyn is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2019
RPXP: 295
Krwyn Krwyn Krwyn
Posts: 383
Grauwerd takes the pen from the old man, dips it into the ink well and signs with his name: Grauwerd
When he wlaks to the stand for his first shot, he tries to make out the direction and strength of the wind to better his first shot.

Knowledge nature
Dice Roll:
1d20+5 (13)+5 Total = 18


Althought here near the sea it is harder to read the wind corectly, he manages quite well. He takes his first shot.

First shot
Dice * Roll:
1d10+8 (5)+8 Total = 13


However he is not completely satisfied with his shot. It could have been better.

OOC: Warning about deleted roll was because I forgot to include the +2 from the successfull first roll. I didn't delete the roll, but corrected the modifier. Sorry about the confusion.
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by Krwyn; Sep 7th, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
  #5  
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Moonwhisper's Avatar
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper is offline
Easy goings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4866
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper
Posts: 2,161
The old man called forth a man named Bart as Grauwerd's opponent. He must clearly be one of the locals as some of the crowd and archers started cheering and laughing.

"Go for it Bart, show him your skills!"

More laughter followed together with applause as a massive man set himself next to Gauwerd, bowing and smiling towards the watching crowd. The only thing larger than his behind was the huge belly in front of him. At least some of it must have come from overly active social drinking as the distinct smell of alcohol surrounded the archery pitch.

"Let old Bart show ya how to shoot proper, eh."

With some effort he managed to pull the string of his bow and knock an arrow. Half the crowd was sure he would not even hit the straw dummy but there were also faces that looked expactantly. Silence settled down. All that could be heard was the calming sound of the wind and water. Than the arrow was loose. A giant roar erupted from the crowd as the arrow actually found it's way into the dummy. It was by far not as close to the middle as Grauwerd's arrow but to Bart it was an outstanding performance. He would get some drinks out of this one, for sure.

he bowed politely to the elf and was accepted back to his fans with loud cheering and some rough slaps on the back.

oocJe hebt de eerste ronde gehaald Mocht je trouwens een diceroll maken die fout blijkt te zijn, gewoon in een nieuwe post opnieuw rollen. Dat werkt wat makkelijker. In dit geval kon je het er zelfs ook bij vertellen. Ik kan de deleted roll ook zien namelijk, maar dat voorkomt de rode uitroeptekens.

Last edited by Moonwhisper; Sep 7th, 2014 at 07:45 PM.
  #6  
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Krwyn Krwyn is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2019
RPXP: 295
Krwyn Krwyn Krwyn
Posts: 383
Perhaps Bart's shot was more luck than wisdom, but he managed to hit the dummy after all. Grauwerd smiled broadly to the massive man, reaching him a hand: Well done, Bart. A lot of townsmen couldn't best this.

Then he stands stilll for the next round, waiting for his new opponent. As the weather seems steady, he now and then controls the direction nd force of the wind, but seeing it constant, he will try his second shot the same way.

Second shot:
Dice Roll:
1d10+8 (3)+8 Total = 11


This shot is a lot worse than his first shot. It is even worse than Bart's shot in the first round. It hits the dummy just at a corner. He must have missed a windfall. Cursing himself for his over confidence, he waits for the shot of his second opponent, almost sure he is out of competion, unless his opponent reads the winds wrong too.

Last edited by Krwyn; Sep 8th, 2014 at 04:53 AM.
  #7  
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Moonwhisper's Avatar
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper is offline
Easy goings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4866
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper
Posts: 2,161
"Well, well. That shot must have impressed your friends at home. Now, be glad, you have the honor of seeing a true archer at work."

A young nobleman steps forward, his dark curly hair perfectly cut at shoulder length, to fade into the dark green fabric of a hunter's blouse that most have cost more than all Grauwerd's possessions together. The bow he carries is a perfectly craft elven longbow. The wood taken from the rare forest giants of the Mwangi jungle. Fine runes are engraved within, both golden and silver. The weapon is a king among its kind.

"I wish I could tell you losing is not that aweful, but I honestly do know nothing about any such thing as losing."

He laughs and without wasting any time he pulls the string of the bow. On his face, triumph is clearly written. He takes his time, seconds pass by and his smile seems to grow with every passing heartbeat. Than his eyes turn into a sharp focus, like the eyes of a hawk bidding on it's pray. The tension in his finger loosens, the released tension of the string almost audible in the air.

"Teasing boys again, Kelewyn?"

The arrow escapes from the bow like a freed animal running for safety. It misses the dummy by several yards. A roar of laughter erupts from the crowd. The nobleman, apparantly called Kelewyn has turned red, the shameful kind of red even. As you turn around you notice both the owner of the voice and the reason of sir Kelewyn's embarrasment. A beautiful elf woman stands opposite him, a half smile on her face and her eyes glittering by her achieved succes. Her blonde hair bound by a leather ribbon in a ponytail falling on a leather jacket. Her outfit is made for travel, cloak, pants, scarf, backlack. The whole deal. But best of all, she smells of the forests and woodlands.

Her eyes are locked with Kelewyn's clearly showing a history between the two of them. Than she turns towards you. Her voice sounds like the sound of springrivers running down the mountain.

"Good luck in your next round. Perhaps I might even join you in the game."
  #8  
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Krwyn Krwyn is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2019
RPXP: 295
Krwyn Krwyn Krwyn
Posts: 383
When his next opponent stepped forward, Grauwerd hardly noticed his fine clothing. But what he noticed was the marvelous elven longbow! Even is the man wasn't the excellent archer he boasted he was, the bow would give him some advantage over the quite normal bow Grauwerd himself used. At least it was a masterwork bow, but possibly it was even a magical one.

His thoughts were more with the bow than with the contest itself, and his mind wasn't occupied enough with his own second shot .

He was as surprised with the intervention of the beautifull elf woman as sir Kelewyn was, but luckily not as embarrassed. With a little smile on his face, he answered her: Thank you, mylady. For to shoot against you, I have to do much better than I do now, I'm afraid.

Then he takes his time to refocus on his next opponent and his next shot. But first he tests the wind again.

Knowledge Nature
Dice Roll:
1d20+5 (7)+5 Total = 12


As the wind seems to turn now more and more, he isn't able to read the wind proper. But even without, his third shot is even a bit better than his first!
Third shot
Dice Roll:
1d10+6 (8)+6 Total = 14

Last edited by Krwyn; Sep 11th, 2014 at 04:09 AM.
  #9  
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Moonwhisper's Avatar
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper is offline
Easy goings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4866
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper
Posts: 2,161
With every round of the competition more and more archers must leave the field with the shame of having lost but challenged to do better next time. Grauward realizes he too almost had to leave the competition so for the following challenges he takes his time, shooting his way into the games finale. Apparently his opponent is the old man who had invited him into the contest.

Grauwerd remains his calm and aims. The wind plays with the feathers of his arrow, the salty scent plucking at his concentration. All futile. Grauward shoots and the arrow strikes only inches away from the red dot in the center of the dummy. The old man mutters something inaudible and makes ready with his own bow.

Cheering rises up from the onlookers, local folk who wish to see one of their own walk away with the prize. As the old man, Jack according to the shouts, aims for the shot, the wind seems to grow silent too. Only the sound of waves crashing can be heard and even those seem to grow dim. Jack's hands tremble, but his eye his sharp as a hawk's. He starts to breath heavily, sweat appearing on his forhead.

*Twung*

The sound of the arrow spedding through the air.

"Curse my luck!" old Jack shouts as his arrow strikes the dummy in it's lower leg. "Well boy, It seems I'm finally to old for this," he smiles and shakes your hand. "Congratulations. You've won fair and square."

Behind him, the blonde elf approaches.
  #10  
Old Sep 20th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Krwyn Krwyn is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2019
RPXP: 295
Krwyn Krwyn Krwyn
Posts: 383
Grauwerd has a broad smile on his face as the shot of the oldtimer misses the center of the dummy by more than a few inches. When the old man congratultes him, he shakes the hand of the old man firm and answers: Thank you, you're kind. I'm very pleased I had the opportunity to compete in your contest. I don't know if I was absolutely the best. Some luck was with me too, as he looks at the approaching elf, the young lordling was perhaps a good shot himself and with an outstanding bow, but he was distracted at the last moment.
  #11  
Old Sep 20th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Moonwhisper's Avatar
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper is offline
Easy goings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4866
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper
Posts: 2,161
Before old Jack could response to Grauwerd the elf interrupted.

"No time for false modesty now. You are quite the shooter. But tell me I'm wrong, Jack. You're handing him the cup without having him beat last year's winner?"

Her eyes met Grauwerd's and without waiting for an answer she stepped onto the archery field. Her bow was plain, no carvings, no metal adornments, just wood. Still it was crafted without a flow, the curvature smooth and the wood still fresh as if it had been crafted the day before.

The ocean's breeze brought a salty scent with it and the huntress relaxed as the wind rustled her hair as well as the puppet's straw. Grauwerd noticed how she closed her eyes and remained silent for over a minute. All he could hear was the sound of waves crashing the shores to the north and the distant sounds of the festival behind him.

With the ease of a veteran the elf draw the string and readied an arrow. Her pose is perfectly calm, her hands steady and her breathing relaxed.

"Don't embarrass him, my love."

The words came just as she released the string. It had been Kelewyn who know wore a broad smile. The elf woman scowled at him, though not for long. The shot was far from perfect, but it still could proof a challenge for Grauwerd.

Last edited by Moonwhisper; Sep 20th, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
  #12  
Old Sep 20th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Krwyn Krwyn is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2019
RPXP: 295
Krwyn Krwyn Krwyn
Posts: 383
Grauwerd feels that this last shot would be the real test. Not only had the elf won last year's cup, he also could see that she stood as a master archer of a level he for the moment only rarely reached.

Knowledge nature
Dice Roll:
1d20+5 (16)+5 Total = 21


He tests the wind, almost as long as she did, and waits till the wind drops completely. And even then, he waits till his breath is calmed completely. He seeks some kind of stillness in himself for this last shot, some relaxation too. Even the audience is completely silent now, but that silence is one of expectation.

His final shot
Dice Roll:
1d10+8 (5)+8 Total = 13

Last edited by Krwyn; Sep 20th, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
  #13  
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Moonwhisper's Avatar
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper is offline
Easy goings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4866
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper
Posts: 2,161
Grauwerd had complete attention from the crowd when he prepared his shot. This would be his final challenge and the stakes were high. He could make a name for himself, right here and now. The wind was perfect, the breeze coming from behind him, would carry his arrow with more speed and accuracy. He remembered his training in the woods, the huntings with his kin, even the games as a child. Now would be his time to shine.

The crowd held their breath, all sound was absorbed by the tension radiating from the elf. A snap sounded and than a moment of eternal silence as the arrow struck the dummy.

He had failed.

It could not have been more than half an inch, but the woman's arrow was closer to the mark. Even with her distraction, she had made a solid shot, unbeatable by Grauwerd.

The crowd, disappointed for no more than a few seconds, started cheering for his opponent. Not for him, but for her.

[b]"Well lad, better luck next year," old Jack spoke to him. Those were his final words to Grauwerd and he continued handing over the golden trophy to that mysterious archer.

After the ritual was over and the archers and their fans had left, all who remained on the field were the two finalists.

"You did quite nice," she spoke up to him. "You should tell me where you're from and who taught you how to shoot like that." Her smile was true and her compliment genuine.

"I'm staying at the Rusty Dragon, you can find me there."

She turned and started walking away, leading with her a completely black Karabair horse.

Than, as she turned her head she smiled once again and said: "Ask for Shalelu!"
  #14  
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Krwyn Krwyn is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2019
RPXP: 295
Krwyn Krwyn Krwyn
Posts: 383
When his arrow speeds for the mark, a deep sigh escapes Grauwerd mouth he didn't even knew he had held. As soon as it is clear the arrow is not as close to the mark as the shot from his female opponent, a low groan escapes his mouth as well, before he masters his disappointment.

Although Grauwerd feels disappointed to have lost the contest, he has the distinct feeling he had lost from one who was positively his master. Before she leaves he speaks: Congratulations my lady, with that fine shot. Grauwerd is my name, and I hail from Mierani Forest, where my father teached me, and a fine master he was.

When he walks to the straw dummy to retrieve his arrows, he adds: I'll see you at the Rusty Dragon and buy you a drink for your victory.
  #15  
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Moonwhisper's Avatar
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper is offline
Easy goings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4866
Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper Moonwhisper
Posts: 2,161
oocCongratulations, you finished the tournament! The second prize for the contest is 50 gold. You can buy equipment before entering the rusty dragon in RP or just write it down on your sheet. Of course if you want to buy extra equipment. One or two post after you enter I'll start up the official part of the adventure.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB