Other Battlestar Galactica: Acts of Treason - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old May 28th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Shiny and chrome

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1690
Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious Skylarious
Hey Drachen, I think I jumped the gun on suggesting I could join right now. I had just finished up with exams and had more free time, but other games I'm in have sped up and I have one of my own I'm prepping for, and I don't think I can handle writing up a new character and diving into this game currently. Sorry about that. If you're still recruiting in a few weeks I might be able to join as the game looks fun, but I'll leave the last slot open for someone who can better guarantee their participation. Have fun!
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33784
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
That's fine. Just drop me a PM if there's been no activity here in this thread.
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
OK, I figured out how to apportion Attributes, but I have a question about Skills, and another about Traits.

1) If you have both a skill and a specialty within it, does the cost of the base skill subtract from the cost of the specialty? So for example if I have Knowledge d6 and a specialty of Military History d10, does the latter cost me a full 10 points, or only 4?

2) How the hell does buying Traits work? It says 4 Trait points, does that mean you only get d4 worth of Traits? Do Complications give you points back as in other Advantage/Disadvantage systems? And you list some Traits that would be helpful—is there a master list somewhere, or are Traits freeform?

Thanks.
Answers:
1) You must have the full base skill of a d6 before you can get add a specialty. But once you purchase the base d6, all specialties under that skill are just 1 point for every dice point above the d6, taken in increments of d2. So to get the Specialty of Military History, you spend 6 points for the base, and then 4 more points to get a d10 for a total cost of 10 points. So yes, the latter costs you only 4.

2) Assets cost 2 points for minor trait, and 4 points for major if that assets has a major listed. And yes, Complications give back, so to speak, or offset Asset traits. Traits are not freeform. They are in the book, the core rule book, starting on page 56. There are too many to list here.
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Pizza Samurai

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1636
Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator Deliverator
Got it regarding skills; will finish mine and work with LadyH tonight on here. But... Oy vey on the Traits thing. I looked online yesterday and I couldn't find the PDF for sale anywhere. I think I'm just going to have you pick them for us based on our character descriptions. I'll still buy the book if you think I should but a physical copy will take some time to arrive and I assume we want to get going ASAP. Same with equipment: just tell me what we should put on our sheets since I assume it's all standard military issue anyway.

Also: do you want us to change our back stories so we are members of the Athena's regular Viper squad, or are we still Red Squad somehow? Or something else?

Taker of the Oath of Sanginus
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 02:57 AM
Old fashioned with Scotch
Event Judge  

Outplay 2015

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7374
Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn
I am in. I am so in.

If this is still on, I am going to study the system and make an app ASAP.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 09:08 AM
Therewolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 204
Morakai Morakai Morakai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostburn View Post
I am in. I am so in.

If this is still on, I am going to study the system and make an app ASAP.
What he said, if you need more people?
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 08:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, the game can take more people/players given that your characters aren't Viper Pilots. Here's the latest Advertisement, and note the part about the storyline that describes where your characters will start.
And given this will take the player count to "Seven", that's all I can take. Thanks, - D
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 02:21 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1359
Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor Kyramor
So! I see you've already started, but in case you have room for more, here's this!

AppCharacter Name: Cybil Onasander
Sex: Female

Physical Description: Cybil is a lot more along the lines of "slender" than most military sorts. Sure, few of her fellows are on the chubby side, but most at least have a degree of muscle tone and athleticism that is entirely lacking in Cybil. With short, plain brown hair, almost-black brown eyes, and a face made small by bangs, "mousy" is often a word people choose for her. Were one to see her out of uniform, the only thing that would probably suggest military would be the short hair, but even that is styled to create more of a rounded, non-threatening shape. (Picture I had in mind!)

Callsign: Pythea, after the explorer and mapmaker of legend, said to have mapped the whole of Tauron before the other colonies were entirely settled. This being, of course, in reference to her virtually unsurpassed knack for astrogation. (Following in BSG tradition and drawing reference to Pytheas.)

Personality: Where Pythea embodies the spirit of the Colonial blue and the order that it represents, she lacks just as much of the spirit of a soldier who is expected to fill that uniform. She follows rules, she is extremely punctual, and she's extremely good at what she does, yet she has avoided promotion beyond Lieutenant. Why? Because she lacks the boldness of a proper officer--she shies from a fight, if at all possible, insisting that there are better way to solve problems; she wants to look at the light from the idealized world of an ivory tower intellectual, and yet, in the same breath, she denounces a whole colony for its faith-based distrust of science (that being Sagittarons, of course). Fortunately, she also bears a rather weak will, making it easy enough for her superior officers to keep her on task without her great expertise filling her head with thoughts of "hey, I should be in charge!"

Birth Colony: Virgon

Background: Cybil Onasander never fit in well on her homeworld of Virgon. She had no mind for fashion and creative pursuits--she was a girl with a very sharp mind, but one that preferred numbers and gadgets over paints and words. It is no surprise, then, that as soon as she was old enough, she shipped off to Caprica to attend university. Her parents supported her decision fully, though they twisted their lips up a bit at so cut-and-dry a major as astrophysics. Originally, her interest was simply to learn more about the world beyond her planet and beyond the solar system, but as she learned more about the possibilities inherent in knowledge of the stars and as she learned more about career opportunities, exploration became her passion. Of course, there wasn't much of a commercial enterprise when it came to exploration, so her best bet would be to sign up with the military when she found her way out of school, and so that's what she did!

She came out of the military at age 25, having fast-tracked herself through a doctorate program in two years less than the whole experience from day one to getting that "Dr." in front of her name was supposed to take. Friends and colleagues who didn't know her well enough to be familiar with her aspirations thought it odd, even preposterous when she signed up with the Colonial Navy which, while mildly hesitant about her age, was more than happy to welcome someone with her qualifications.

Her time in the Navy has been unremarkable from an outside perspective. It whipped her into better shape than she'd ever been in and it taught her a number of extremely practical skills, including introducing her to a second and more recent love: knuckle-dragging. While she wasn't as rough and tumble as many of the deckhands, she relished in getting her hands dirty and making things work the way they were supposed to--a direct reflection of her strict adherence to the rules and regulations of the Navy, from the way she was to lace her boots to the suggested lights-out time. She's bounced between three commanders by now, for various mostly-paperwork-related reasons, but in each case, she's distinguished herself as a fine raptor pilot, as well as an unsurpassed astrogator. The hardest part was always trying to figure out whether she was more use in a raptor, on the flight deck, or up in CIC plotting the jumps. In the end, her duties tended to blur between primarily piloting raptors and occasionally picking up time doing repairs, while serving as a backup in case an astrogation-focused member of CIC comes up sick or injured.

Last edited by Kyramor; Jun 5th, 2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Have a friends father who has been battling terminal cancer commit suicide due to pain. Will be offline until Sunday night, or Monday morning latest.
- D
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Old fashioned with Scotch
Event Judge  

Outplay 2015

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7374
Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn Frostburn
My deepest sympathies. Thank you for letting us know.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Looks Good Kyramor. Sent you a PM.
Frostburn and Morakai, if you still want in the game throw up a character submission here for me to review. I'll then work on getting you in the game fast. Note, that you don't need to have any history "after" the Cylons attack since in the game it was only a day or so ago. I'll provide that "in" for your characters.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jun 10th, 2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Frostburn? Morakai?
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Therewolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 204
Morakai Morakai Morakai
Hey Drachen, sorry about the delay, things have been a bit hectic. It's looking like me and Frost won't have time to join up with your game at present.

Maybe in the future when you've killed off more folks and our schedules are clearer!
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ok. Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Game NameBSG: Acts of Treason
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeBattleStar Galactica RPG
FlavourNear the Colonies - Shortly After the 2nd Cylon Attack
Plot SummaryGame is set not long after the Cylons attack the Twelve Colonies.

Your GM: I've been GMing/DMing games for over 25 years, and online play-by-post since 2001. I've RP'd in and GM'd several Serenity Cortex games (have two running on this site right now), and a few BSG Cortex Games.

# of Players: Accepting 2-3 players. Anyone I recognize from previous games I am in or have been in that is a reliable poster may get precedence.

Rulebook: This game will be using the Battlestar Galatica RPG Cortex Rulebook. I also have the book 'Thin Blue Line.'

Starting Level: Veteran

Time to Submit An Application: I'll keep this open until I have at least 2-3 players, and a bit longer. If necessary I'll RP an NPC character.

STORYLINE: The 2nd Cylon war just started. Current Characters are 3 Viper Pilots, and 1 Raptor Pilot. See "Starting Game location" below for information. The rest of the Background is up to you the player. You can be any type of character you want from the needed list that follows, but be advised that it would be wise to have a skill set that is "of use" or you may have a hard time fitting in. Open character slots are: Viper Pilot, Raptor Pilot/Navigator. Marines of any rank.

APPLICATIONS: Since no rolling is required to create a character, please use this Site's "Serenity" character sheet Template as it is almost the same. Go ahead and create a character with the 48 point Attribute buy, 68 point skill buy, and 4 point trait buy. No Cylons, and no Canon Characters please.

Use this rough template to put forth your submission -

Character Name:
Sex:
Callsign (and how/why you got it if you have one):
Personality:
Birth Colony:
Background:

GAME FORUM LINK