RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 21st, 2018, 11:08 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12899
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Not sure what changed from 5th to 6th, but the skills are identical.

Almost done with my Journalist . Just wondering, are we going with a skill cap at start?
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 03:06 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 321
DJP1961 DJP1961 DJP1961 DJP1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
Not sure what changed from 5th to 6th, but the skills are identical.

Almost done with my Journalist . Just wondering, are we going with a skill cap at start?
In TT games I usually set the max skill limit to 85% apart from speak own language which remains at EDU x 5. Absolute max skill level during the game is 99% as no one is perfect, or knows everything.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 10:17 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4558
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
This looks interesting. It's been about 20 years since I've played CoC, but I'm a huge Lovecraft fan and I'd love to play a proper Cthulhu game.

Is Brian, by any chance, a veteran of the Great War? I have an idea for an old war buddy of his as a character.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 02:11 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryBeast View Post
This looks interesting. It's been about 20 years since I've played CoC, but I'm a huge Lovecraft fan and I'd love to play a proper Cthulhu game.

Is Brian, by any chance, a veteran of the Great War? I have an idea for an old war buddy of his as a character.
Hi, Yeah I was a fan of the stories before I played the game back in the 80's too, also Robert E Howard's short stories like Conan, and Solomon Kane from back in the 20's and 30's. Yes he did serve during the Great War, Brian would be in his late 20's when he joined up, he was a reasonably bright individual, but became more morose as the war drew to an end.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 10:51 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 11:51 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Cheers Touketsu,
Just a note to the others regarding Great War experience. The player may opt to have served in the war, the US entered the war in 1917, and the war ended in 1918. For each year they served they gain 1 point of EDU, but lose 1d4 SAN, these points can be spent on the following skills:
(Male) Conceal, Climb, Credit Rating, First Aid, Handgun, Navigate, Persuade, Psychology, Ride, Rifle, Sabre, Sneak, Spot Hidden, Swim, Pilot Aircraft.
(Female) Drive Automobile, Accounting, Credit Rating, Electrical Repair, Mechanical Repair, Operate Heavy Machinery, First Aid.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 09:42 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 223
JW76 JW76 JW76
@DJP1961...I've never played CoC before, but would love to check this out. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out, and being able to check into this kind of game would be pretty wild since it's a bit out of my norm.

Are you still looking for players? I tried to see what you were looking for, but wanted to check in before I put something together.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 04:26 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW76 View Post
@DJP1961...I've never played CoC before, but would love to check this out. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out, and being able to check into this kind of game would be pretty wild since it's a bit out of my norm.

Are you still looking for players? I tried to see what you were looking for, but wanted to check in before I put something together.
Hi JW76, yes I am still accepting applications for the game. Currently we have a Journalist, a Private Detective, an Author, a Man of dubious background, one undeclared as of yet. I'll PM you a quick guide to creating a character, to get you started.
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Investigator ProfileName: Giles Blake
right-aligned image

Sex: Male
Birthplace: Mystic, CT
Alma Mater: Miskatonic University

Description: A hard-hitting investigative journalist, Giles has been collecting stories in New York City for the last few years. Born and raised in southern Connecticut, his family has shared a close friendship with the Timmons family as long as he can remember, taking trips to visit with them often, particularly in the summer months. Still, it’s been a while since Giles was in contact with them. With the passing of his parents and his only brother living out west, Giles has barely thought of his ancestral home. When he received word of Brian’s condition however, Giles dropped everything and set his sights on New England for the first time in over a decade.
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Update

Applications so far.

Applicants
Player NameCharacter NameOccupation
TouketsuGiles BlakeInvestigative Journalist
DemonSlayerMary WilsonPrivate Detective
p02flapjackDudley AveryAuthor
Strange2099TBDTBD
MemoryBeastMadeline MoreauCharlatan
JW76Karen BrittonAthlete
TrmmilwwiTBDTBD

Last edited by DJP1961; Dec 27th, 2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Adding additional information
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Madeline Moreau
Sex: Female
Birthplace: Janesville, WI
Alma Mater: None

Margaret Grable spent her entire childhood desperate for the day she could leave her midwestern farm town behind and see the world. Over her parents’ objections, she left home when she was 18 for Chicago, looking for secretarial work. The life of a clerk and typist didn’t much agree with Margaret, who had too much of an impatient, rebellious streak to settle into such a humdrum job. Instead, she fell in with a bohemian crowd, taking up with a series of artistic and decadent lovers, and following them first to New York, and then, shortly after the war’s end, to Paris.

In the course of her many travels and affairs, Margaret grew in only a few years from a starry-eyed naif into a jaded decadent. Each of her lovers proved to possess more in the way of good looks and big talk than actual artistic talent, but in modeling for them and accompanying them into the various bohemian circles they frequented, Margaret soon learned that good looks and big talk would get her further than actual talent any day. Adopting the rather more exotic name of “Madeline Moreau,” she became adept at passing herself off as something she was not - more worldly, more sophisticated, more mysterious - until she was the one stringing others along.

The bohemian scene in which “Madeline” moved brushed up against other, more esoteric circles - mystery cults and mystic societies populated by dabblers and dilettantes. Combining her gift of gab and talent for reading people with a smattering of occult mumbo-jumbo picked up from such circles, Madeline soon began passing herself off as the priestess of such a mystery cult herself, attracting a circle of admirers made up of the curious and the jaded. Made up in kohl and dressed in interestingly diaphanous gowns, she would conduct elaborate “ceremonies” and “seances” for appreciative audiences, who never seemed to mind very much that her “occult wisdom” was composed of portentous nonsense, often made up as she went along. Her followers among the Parisian demimonde found her act convincing, or at least diverting, enough to keep her comfortably looked-after by a series of patrons and lovers.

It was in this context that she met Brian Timmons, who found his way to one of her “gatherings” through a friend. To Madeline’s annoyance, Brian was a bit too sensible and level-headed to be taken in by her “high priestess” act, but the two of them nevertheless struck up a friendship and, very briefly, a bit more. After Brian returned to the United States at the end of his deployment, Madeline found that some of the fun had gone out of her play-acting - Brian had been one fling among many for her, but it preyed at her to have been unable to hold his interest as she had held so many others. She was not, of course, in love with him, or anything so foolish as that, but nevertheless, some of the fun was gone.

A falling-out with certain other acquaintances led Madeline to return to America about a year ago. With the Volstead Act’s passage, the underground world of rum-runners and speakeasies was just beginning to take form, and she found it a natural fit. Masquerading now as a native-born Parisian in New York made her act all the more exotic, and she was soon up to her old tricks, with an audience more credulous and impressionable than any she’d found in Europe. She’s kept up a very occasional correspondence with Brian since then, but their paths have not crossed again.

It came as rather a shock to receive the letter from Brian’s mother. Madeline wouldn’t have thought Brian’s mother would even have known of their connection - she wasn’t the sort of girl about whom nice boys like Brian tell their mothers. Nevertheless, she seemed to know something of her - perhaps Brian mentioned her, or perhaps his mother come across some of their correspondence. Either way, Madeline boarded the next train to Providence - unsure of what she could do to ease Brian’s plight, but unable to ignore it, either.

OOC
Slightly different from what I was thinking earlier, but I think this'll be fun. To be clear - her occult knowledge is fragmentary and mostly made-up, and any actual knowledge of the Cthulhu Mythos she's bumped into in her "occult" career thus far has gone right over her head (although it might be interesting for her to retroactively make connections with things she's seen in the circles she moved in, but never understood before...) Her real talent is mostly in Persuade, Fast Talk, and Psychology - the skills of a good con-woman.

And yes, she's pretty blatantly based on Marceline from Medusa's Coil, except without the jaw-dropping-even-for-Lovecraft racism in that story.

Last edited by MemoryBeast; Jan 3rd, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Waiting for my Wish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8070
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryBeast View Post
Application
Name: Madeline Moreau
Sex: Female
Birthplace: Janesvill, WI
Alma Mater: None

OOC
Slightly different from what I was thinking earlier, but I think this'll be fun. To be clear - her occult knowledge is fragmentary and mostly made-up, and any actual knowledge of the Cthulhu Mythos she's bumped into in her "occult" career thus far has gone right over her head (although it might be interesting for her to retroactively make connections with things she's seen in the circles she moved in, but never understood before...) Her real talent is mostly in Persuade, Fast Talk, and Psychology - the skills of a good con-woman.

Interesting...I was thinking of basically a male version of the same character - a charlatan 'medium'. Although I hadn't thought out the personality beyond that of a 'charlatan medium', conducting seances and preying on the bereaved. That and similar to your OOC comment that my character would essentially espouse to believe and have 'power' over the spirit world, but actually not (neither believe nor have any ability).

So....interested to make it a 'couple'? Or would two charlatans (even two separate Charlatans) be too lopsided in that area?
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post
Interesting...I was thinking of basically a male version of the same character - a charlatan 'medium'. Although I hadn't thought out the personality beyond that of a 'charlatan medium', conducting seances and preying on the bereaved. That and similar to your OOC comment that my character would essentially espouse to believe and have 'power' over the spirit world, but actually not (neither believe nor have any ability).

So....interested to make it a 'couple'? Or would two charlatans (even two separate Charlatans) be too lopsided in that area?
I have no objection to having two charlatans in the group, it may be you are a team, or possibly ran in the same dubious circles, or possibly even that you may/may not be known to one another. I think that could be a private conversation between you and MemoryBeast, if you do just let me know the outcome.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4005
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Hello all! I am very interested in submitting a character for this! I have not played Call of Cthulhu before but I have listened to a few sessions online. The historic roleplaying aspect along with character driven story lines and reactions is what is drawing me to this corner of the pbp world. I am thinking an architect from London who has come stateside. Something along the lines of Frank Lloyd Wright 'ish.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post

I think if they're both in the group, they'd almost have to know each other and be together in some capacity - it'd be really weird if Brian just happened to know two people like that well enough that his mother would call on them to help deal with this current crisis. Unless Brian was really into that sort of thing, but we don't really know enough about him yet to say for sure.

There's no indication in the game write-up that Brian's mom suspects anything weird or occult is going on, so she wouldn't be contacting either character for their specialty in that. I've contrived Madeline as someone that Brian's mom just thinks is a friend of his, without knowing any of the unsavory particulars - and, indeed, in the course of the game she'd probably be maintaining that ruse, and wouldn't be making a big fuss about the precise nature of her "work" at all. Given that, it could be kind of interesting to have a character in play who does know who she is and what she does.

...Hmm, okay, it seems like there are two good possibilities here:

1) Madeline and your guy are a team, working together to fleece people with the whole sham occult act. Maybe Brian met them both in Paris, and they returned to New York together, or maybe your character was always in New York and Madeline's only met him since returning. Now with Brian's mother contacting Madeline, your character is coming along as well. That creates some interesting interpersonal dynamics - are Madeline and your character an item, or have they ever been? Madeline apparently has a history of falling in with sketchy boyfriends - is your guy one of them? Is there some jealousy going on between your guy and Brian over that? How does your character feel about the fact that Madeline's kept up with Brian, even after he more or less dumped her - or about the fact that Brian's mother is contacting her now? Is your character taking a more mercenary attitude towards this, seeing a chance to exploit the situation to take advantage of Brian's mother, and pressuring Madeline to go along with it?

2) They do know of each other, moving in similar circles in New York, but they're not being contacted for the same reason. Brian's mother just thinks Madeline's a friend of his, but she is contacting your character in a more professional capacity (maybe she does suspect that there's something supernatural about what's going on with Brian, or maybe your character is more of an "alienist" than a medium, the kind of person who'd get contacted about bizarre and inexplicable mental disorders in a Lovecraft story)? So now they're both showing up, and Madeline, at least, would probably prefer that it not be made obvious that they know each other, because she doesn't want Brian's mother knowing how she lives.

These are starting points, and there's other ways we could go. A lot depends on both how you want to play your character, but we also might need to know a little bit more about Brian and the backstory the Keeper has in mind for him in order to make this fit.

Last edited by MemoryBeast; Dec 26th, 2018 at 04:07 PM.