MutantsAndMasterminds Heroes of Unity City - Applications re-opened! - Page 13 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12975
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
I'm finishing up my own character, but they definitely fit this category. Have a bit of a unique approach to it though, which could be interesting. Should have it up tonight.
Looking forward to that!

@Saratek

Last edited by Phettberg; 10-30-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Double post so this is not lost:

@grdell

And now I am all feedbacked out for the day.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2686
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Been giving this a lot of thought, and as much as I love a supers game, I think on reflection I'm in more than enough games right now.

I'm withdrawing my application. I need to make sure I can keep up with what I have before I start adding more on.

Thanks for the consideration.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Sorry to hear it - happy gaming elsewhere.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:16 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 240
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Ya, this is one of the reasons I don't really like the secret commentary from the Gm I'd rather just have everything out so people know what they are looking at.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1417
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
@Phettberg No rush as I know you are already feedbacked out today, but I have given my bio, app format, and power set/abilities a much needed overhaul to make things less confusing and more clear about how and why he got his powers.
Link to app page: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...=177455&page=9

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; 10-30-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Thinks People Are Tasty

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12575
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek

Last edited by Saratek; 10-30-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:55 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
@Sir Swindle Not sure why you'd want to know the details of my conversations with players about their individual characters. I don't know any gms that do this publically, nor do I see the benefit in it.

@Hiruma Thanks for the heads up. It's registered. On first glance it seems like you have addressed my feedback, but I will give it another closer look in due time (a while before the very loosely defined deadline anyway).

@Saratek
Old 10-31-2019, 09:35 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
So threads aren't just endless blank lines.
It doesn't matter that it is hidden, it's not a competition.
Collaboration is useful even in the application phase.
Every GM has preferences. I know what tweaks to make based on how you reacted to other people's pitches.
In a fresh game knowing what is going on in everyone else's head can lead to a more cohesive and sensible group.
But mostly that second one. Nothing is gained by hiding information.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:46 AM
Thinks People Are Tasty

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12575
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Old 10-31-2019, 11:45 AM
Their our know rools!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6486
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
It doesn't matter that it is hidden, it's not a competition.
Collaboration is useful even in the application phase.
Every GM has preferences. I know what tweaks to make based on how you reacted to other people's pitches.
In a fresh game knowing what is going on in everyone else's head can lead to a more cohesive and sensible group.
But mostly that second one. Nothing is gained by hiding information.
I'm going to offer an alternate point of view on this as a player in the game. *Not* having access to the other players' exact builds is actually a very cool part of the vibe, opening up a lot of roleplaying opportunities that would be closed down by unconscious metagaming otherwise. The group not being 'cohesive and sensible' from the outset makes the story more interesting... If folks are just optimized to form the most perfect and sensible team from the outset there's no room for growth, no figuring out how to get along with each other and develop synergy.

I agree that collaboration is useful when starting the game out, and indeed all throughout the game. You can already see backstory, personality, a blurb about general power sources and sets, and non-mechanical details from folks' initial offerings about their character. Collaborating to establish relationships beforehand adds to the story... Optimizing everyone's build to have the perfect team right off the bat is inorganic, and in my opinion a disservice to the players by denying them roleplaying and character development opportunities... And to the GM who can develop, run, and enjoy the story around such development.

My two cents' worth of freely-offered opinion, guaranteed to be worth at least what you paid for it!
Old 10-31-2019, 01:41 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'm yet to post my full build, even to the GM.

M&M has a very high bar for system mastery you can easily make two characters with the same theme the same points but one just does more because of system mastery (realizing things should be in an array, realizing your mind control power should maybe only work on people, etc.).

We can see each others background and stuff. But we don't know that each other are having problems to even offer a solution. We just know that there was a comment, it could have been "ya, ur perfect bruh!" or it could be "Hey I have literally no idea how you would simulate this concept using the mechanics". The fact that it starts secret means it would be weird if I replied publicly. So if it is something that a little crowd sourcing would help with I would have to go to one of the other (less active? Certainly less engaged in the particular game.) sub-forums to get help.

If I looked through the first 8 pages of original apps and found a running theme in how the GM liked power sets to come together or any other trend I would have put more work into that aspect of the app from the get go.

And when I said a cohesive group, I didn't mean a flawlessly optimized pre-built team. Just a group that even makes sense to be together. The last game I apped for (most of the same folks here apped for) they were in the 40's so questions like "Will we get involved in WW2" were relevant. There could be similar campaign direction affecting things that are worth reading what they have to say during the app process.

I suppose there is nothing stopping any of us from specifically commenting on someone else's character publicly. But it is awkward to do it as a fellow player, especially when you KNOW that the player and GM are having a different conversation elsewhere.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 710
Ninja Sable Ninja Sable Ninja Sable Ninja Sable Ninja Sable Ninja Sable Ninja Sable
ShiroName: Kuroto Shiro

Nation of Origin: Extraterrestrial / Japan

Appearance & Personality: Shiro appears very human-like, and although his appearance is malleable, he has taken a liking to specifically generating human characteristics, such as five-fingered hands, a masculine torso, and spiky "hair". Regardless, he always appears pitch black and featureless, to the point of seeming flat to onlookers. His eyes are stark white spots that can form into any two-dimensional shape Shiro chooses. He has no mouth, and seems to prefer communicating using grand gestures, bombastic noises, and "facial expressions" rather than words, no doubt in large part to his difficulty grasping human speech. When words are necessary, he mimics sentences and fragments that he has heard other say and merely parrots them back.

For clothes, Shiro tries to cover as much "skin" as possible, especially when outside. Baggy street clothes let him shift appearance easily on the fly, and the ever-present hoodie lets Shiro cover the majority of his head by tightening the drawstrings. As long as no one looks to closely, he can just barely pass as a weirdo with his face cloaked in shadow.

Shiro is gregarious and infinitely curious. Although once very trusting, recent events have left Shiro wary and skittish. He is rather intelligent and cunning, but also cowardly when it comes to confrontation. He enjoys the dark and heights, and is generally afraid of large bodies of water. When meeting new people, Shiro will often mimic their mannerisms and even their voice for lengthy periods of time, repeating phrases he hears them say over and over.

As a vigilante, Shiro prefers reconnaissance and espionage to open confrontation. Rather than beat up criminals, he would rather discover incriminating evidence and supply it anonymously to the authorities.

Biography: Three years ago, Dr. Hironaka Isuzu, an exoplanetologist, journeyed with a team to the Pacific Ocean to track down and recover a meteorite that had entered atmosphere and impacted near the Kurile–Kamchatka Trench almost fifteen years ago. Not only was her team successful, but they found an unexpected passenger on board: a featureless, alien humanoid trapped within the rock... trapped, in stasis, but still alive.

The alien was transported back to Japan in utmost secrecy, smuggled into a laboratory within the Toriyama Institute for Scientific and Technological Advancement (TISTA) for study. It was unanimously decided by Isuzu and her team that knowledge of the alien's existence should be kept secret only to themselves and those on the board of directors within the company. It took every favor and threat in Isuzu's arsenal to convince her bosses not to turn the alien's existence public for a quick profit, but eventually she was given a deal: Two years. Two years to study him, and learn as much as possible. After that time was up, the board would review what she had found, and determine whether it was more economically viable to keep the alien a secret and learn from it, or to make the discovery public.

Isuzu's team was expanded to include anyone that would be necessary. A biologist, a linguist, a psychologist, and a veterinarian were all brought onto the team to study the alien. It quickly became clear that the alien was intelligent, on par with a human child, as well as surprisingly docile. Although the creature was initially fearful, over time the team established a rapport with it and began documenting everything about it they could. When it became evident that the alien needed a name, and was unable to provide one itself, the team gave it one: Kuroto Shiro, meaning Black and White.

Most remarkable of all, Shiro displayed an innate ability to move objects with his thoughts. Study of the power revealed that Shiro was manipulating a theoretical fifth fundamental force, similar to magnetism or gravity. The potential applications from this discovery alone could be used to enhance travel, construction, urban development...

During this time, Shiro learned about humans as well. He was given access to the internet, to books and newspapers, television and movies. Shiro was voracious in his appetite for media of all kinds, and displayed in impeccable memory. In particular, he found himself fascinated with feudal Japan, particularly ninja and samurai. For better or worse, one of the team gave him anime. Over time, Shiro and the team formed a close bond that rivaled even family.

But it could not last.

After only a year and a half, almost four months before the deadline, The Incident broke out. Fearing hostile metahumans, the Japanese government placed immense pressure on TITSU to provide weapons and arms to defend against potential metahuman threats. Three board members betrayed the agreement that had been made with Isuzu and her team, and Shiro's existence was leaked to the Japanese military as a potential military asset.

Isuzu's team was ordered to relinquish both Shiro and all data pertaining to him. They refused, and instead chose to try and smuggle the alien out of the country. In response, a black operation was performed both to retrieve Shiro and silence any member of the original team.

Shiro was successfully smuggled out and escaped capture. He relocated to Unity City, along with only one of the original team members. Many of Shiro's family had been captured or worse. The rest are scattered across the world, living in hiding. It would have been too dangerous for all of them to stay in the same place. In any case, Shiro's family is fractured.

Powers: Shiro possesses innate telekinetic properties, allowing him to manipulate almost any small object he can see with great precision. His pliable alien physiology allows Shiro to turn that power against himself and shift his form into almost any shape he chooses. In addition, Shiro fancies himself a modern-day ninja, and uses his powers and natural physiology to sneak around and spy on criminals.

Complications: Motivation: Acceptance - Shiro is an alien in every sense of the word. He is terrified of what humans might do to him if they were all aware of his true nature and his presence in Unity City, or even just on Earth. But if he were to become a recognized hero, it might soften hearts to the point that Shiro could live freely in human society, without hiding.

Motivation: "Patriotism" - For better or worse, Shiro has strongly latched onto the idealized version of ninjas from his time in Japan. He finds them fascinating, and wants to be one. As a vigilante, he has an opportunity to practice this way of life, although how historically accurate he is in that practice is debatable.

Complication: Enemy - The higher echelons of both TITSU and the Japanese military are aware of Shiro's nature and his presence on Earth. They will hunt for him relentlessly, and it is only a matter of time until they follow him to Unity City

Complication: Secret - Hiding one's true identity as a vigilante is one thing. It is another issue entirely when your true identity is that of an extraterrestrial. Many don't trust meta humans... how would they react to a meta non-human? Shiro has already experienced one of the worse answers to that question. He isn't keen on testing it again.

Complication: Quirk - Shiro is an outsider not only to Unity City, but also Earth. Despite being a fast learner, human mannerisms and culture escape him at times, with results ranging from humorously embarrassing to potentially life-threatening.

Complication: Disability - If Shiro ever does get hurt, modern medical techniques are... unlikely to be helpful. He has a friend in UC that has been able to find some success in applying medicine to Shiro's alien physiology, but that can only go so far.

Last edited by Ninja Sable; 11-08-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7923
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
Will try to create a character sheet for the very obviously altered fellow I applied with last time. Probably won't hit the board until Saturday.

Last edited by Maghnuis; 10-31-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:20 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
If the look of my thread offends you then you are free to move on to another. I'm looking for players, not armchair dms.

Thank you graven for your input, by the way.

With that out of the way I'll move on to another round of quick fire feedback, a little on the shorter side because I've had a busy day:

@Sir Swindle

@Saratek

@Ninja Sable
Sure, we'll still be open for at least another week. I'll give a warning out a few days in advance, but you've definitely made it in. I even have a few thoughts for you already.

@Maghnuis
Looking forward to it. You can edit your original app or repost it after the reopening of this thread - just let me know when you have a version that I should look over and give feedback to. I won't be able to do it today, but I'll get around to it soon.