Game Thread Round 4; The Grand Finale : Thaco vs lostcheerio - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Iron DM Stadium > Iron DM 2021
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 04:42 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28745
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Round 4; The Grand Finale : Thaco vs lostcheerio

The Grand Finale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 'Honorable' Chairman
right-aligned image
It takes the competitors a week to reach the center of the arena, which had suddenly seemed so far in the distance. The last part of the trek leads each of them up a near endless staircase, until finally they reach the top of a large raised platform from opposite ends. Iron grit sand makes up the floor below them, heated up under the burning of the sun in the sky directly above them, much closer than it should be. Looking around, no matter in which direction, they are blinded by the light, just enough that they can't make out the details of the crowd in the stands. But there is a crowd. And all eyes are on them. Restless. Waiting.

"Are you ready?" The chairman's voice echoes from where he stands in the middle of the platform. Of course he is already here. Are they ready? Though they get a moment to consider, the figure doesn't actually give them a choice. This is it. The final match of Iron DM. One person will walk away here, head held high with the crown newly placed upon their head. "Then let us meet our contestants!"

The crowd falls silent in eager anticipation, though the contestants realize they couldn't make out any specifics before that either. Then, the iron grit sand swirls up in one part of the battlefield, highlighting one of the competitors: "In this corner, one who returns from having been in this exact same position last year, hoping this time the crown will be theirs! Clocking in at 115 points accumulated so far this year, it's..."

Thaaaaco!

Next, the sand swirls up around the second competitor: "And in the other corner, a newcomer to the ranks of Iron DM, with an impressive 128.75 points accumulated so far, it's..."

looooostcheerio!

"But in the end, how many points you have so far does not matter. Whether you have been here before or not does not matter. You have never met before on the field of battle, so we have no frame of reference for how this will go. But one of you will come out of this match as the winner and claim the crown, becoming the new champion. It is time for the two of you to face off. To win, you will need to use the ingredients to maximum effect. Only our entire panel of judges are equipped to make such a decision, and so...""

The main judges for this round are:
  • Everyone!!!
At another gesture from the chairman, two heaping tables appear once more, only for the master of this competition to loudly proclaim the ingredients for this round:
  • A Jewel Eater!
  • A Discounted Copper Dragon!
  • A Circlet of Insane Kings!
  • An Altered State of Mind!
  • A Prison Colony!
  • An Ironic Demise!

The bonus ingredients for this round are:
  • A Magical Scroll Lock!
  • Cryptic Candy!
  • Drowning!
  • A Sprite!

May the best Game Master win!
Rules
  • You are to write an adventure using the six items / concepts above. You can also use any of the bonus ingredients you wish to. All rules found here are to be followed.
  • The guidelines for the Judges' scoring can be found here.
  • The entry is to be no longer than 3000 words, which includes *everything* you put into the post. Judges are instructed to stop reading at that time, or to deduct points if you go over. The use of a spell check and word counter is highly recommended.
  • Please make a simple post in this thread when you first read it, to let the judges know have seen it, and that you are on board. It doesn't have to be anything more than "read!", or something like that, though roleplaying it is also perfectly acceptable! Do not edit this post after making it; when it comes time to post your entry, do that in a second, separate post.
  • You have 7 days from the time this post is made to complete and submit your entry (in a new post; don't edit your first post!). It is not expected that you use all this time - the extra time has been given to ensure that, no matter what your timezone, your schedule, your sleep habits, your work or student life, or emergencies that could crop up, you should have ample time to complete your entry. Posting when you are done, and not waiting until the end, is also recommended, and rewarded.
  • You should post your entry into this thread within the generous timeframe, and ensure it is secreted (to the above judges) and spoilerbuttoned. Feel free to also PM your judges to let them know you have posted, if you wish. (DO NOT PM them your entry - just let them know your entry is submitted). If your post is not made within the 7 days, you will be automatically disqualified. If you have issues, be sure to PM Inem *before* your round is closed.
  • Once posted, do not edit your entry. The use of the "preview" function is thus also highly recommended.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52120
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
"Thank you, Chairman," says the spectacled newcomer, with a brisk nod to her opponent. "I understand the challenge and I accept."
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 07:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5582
Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco
The Challenger shields his eyes from the glare. it had taken so long to get here - but even still, he can't help feeling woefully unprepared.

He nods to the Chairman, then to his opponent, and then steps toward the table...
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 11:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5582
Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco

Last edited by Inem; Dec 6th, 2021 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Revealing Entry!
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 12:48 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52120
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio

Last edited by Inem; Dec 6th, 2021 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Revealing Entry!
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38980
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption

Last edited by Inem; Dec 14th, 2021 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Revealing Judgment!
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 08:05 PM
Victree-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26814
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Whew! Here we are at the finale. Looking at the ingredient set after judging these entries, I can't say that you two had it easy. And aside from that, this is the final round, so my expectations were high. I judged both entries pretty harshly, looking for any problems I could find. I think that the two contestants did pretty darned good jobs on a task that's always difficult, and usually at a point that they are freakin' exhausted from 3 prior rounds of writing. That said, both of the adventures, I felt, had major work left to be done, with what felt like a lot of information missing. One of the two entries slid barely ahead in each of the three major judgment categories.

Last edited by Inem; Dec 14th, 2021 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Revealing Judgment!
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 12:59 AM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34130
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Thank you both for a GREAT time in Iron DM this year.

I said this to the other group and I'll bring it up here too... Remember, the points and rankings are really just artificial ways we had to come up with to have a conversation around what comes down to a very subjective thing, creativity. You've both shown this in fun and amazing ways so be proud of your accomplishment.

Rubrics help guide conversations but to me this year, my vote for Iron GM champion goes to THACO.

There was a lot to like in both entries... and in ways, ultimately both had different areas to work on if these were to be develop into their intended use.

Reading as a general audience member to enjoy the use of the elements, my vote goes to THACO.
As a player, the one I'd select to play as a member, my vote goes to THACO.
As a DM, the one I'd like to run and would require the least prep and thrill to see my players take on, my vote goes to THACO.

Old Dec 9th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35526
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan

Old Dec 11th, 2021, 02:14 PM
BigPiggyPigBigPig

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39721
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG

Old Dec 14th, 2021, 06:32 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28745
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
The 'Honorable' Chairman hadn't departed from the arena at the start of this match, and yet he hadn't been present while it ran its course. He hadn't reentered, either, and yet there he was standing, as if he hadn't moved the entire time. Looking around, the chairman examines the aftermath of the competition.

"At long last, we have reached the end of the road. You have both fought valiantly to even get here, but in the end, only one person is worthy to wear the crown of Iron DM for the next year." With a flash, a red scroll appears in the hands of the master of this entire event. "You'll be pleased to hear that this year we have finally found the time to fix this issue where this scroll is just fixed to stating 'Inem' won. So no last minute adjustments necessary this year." The chairman opens the scroll and reads it. "Ah, there we have it then. Without further ado, after a hard fought final battle, our winner is...