RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2015 > Carrion Crown
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #136  
Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 26226
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905

Runahildr Valkadottir

Runa was confident enough in Pike's abilities to let the dwarf move about and study without interfering. She would do more harm than good walking around the scene, especially with the ground soft and soggy enough that her armoured form would leave deep and lasting prints - perhaps covering other and more interesting tracks in the process.

Instead, she found the highest ground she could and took up vigil there,
Dice Survival:
1d20 4
Dice Perception:
1d20 14
eyes scanning the horizon, searching for anything that might be out of the ordinary.

She was no detective, and had no eye for minute disturbances in the terrain or reading the passage of a creature by the way a straw of grass turned different than all its neighbours. But she was broad-shouldered and imposing, and she knew how to stand vigil to allow others - those skilled in discovery, such as Pike - to move about with their nose close to the ground.


__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 27720
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 6,858
For a moment, Mara seems annoyed that Goff would rebuff her generous offer to accompany him for lunch, but she forces a quick smile and nods politely. “As you wish,” she bids the Morast native farewell, choosing to instead focus on the positives of the situation—who knows what other dangers lurk within Goff's house, especially now that his wife is away? She can imagine layers of dust and mold and she dares not think what else, and imagine if Goff continued to insist that she share his meal! No, their parting is for the best, a boon from Lady Luck.

Or is it? For a moment the songstress is tempted to chase after Goff, to put a healthy distance between herself and the cloud of smoke pursuing her. “Yes, I am sure you must be quite right ...” Mara responds to Pike without much conviction—or rather, her conviction is directed towards shuffling away from the cigar chomping detective. “The Boneyard,” she points ahead dramatically, her voice filled with an intense relief unusual for the sight of a disturbed cemetary, “you had best begin your investigation at once, while the light still holds. Let me not be in your way.” And with that the singer excuses herself, making her way to the low stone wall. There she looks for a stable section to sit and rest her already weary legs.

In truth, Pike's words strongly echoed her own self-conscious feelings. Goff's description of Portea made her own skin crawl, as if in empathy. The soprano nervously brushes her hair, rearranging the flower that powers her disguise. The thought of Portea being replaced by a doppelganger or shapeshifter ... no, that is not what truly worries her. Her sense of foreboding is more personal.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 10514
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,082
right-aligned image
At first glance the boneyard did not look like much. The same very much held true at second glance as well, if Signy was honest. Of course, what was to be expected from the graveyard of a small village? She cast a glance around, watching what the others were doing for a while and strapped her shield to her arm, just in case that some hostile creature still lingered. Chances were good that especially Fido and possibly Pike - if his skills kept up with his reputation - would see a lot more than her. There was little use in getting in their way.

That did not, however, mean that she didn’t wish to take a closer look at the graves that had been dug up herself. She gave the gnome and the dwarf the chance to take a good look at them themselves, before venturing closer and
Dice Perception:
1d20+2 (8)+2 Total = 10
Dice Suvival:
1d20 6
checking for some trace of what had transpired that might have survived the intervening time.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Inem's Avatar
Inem Inem is offline
Bad Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 22255
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Posts: 9,363
Hrani's mood brightens when Runa and Signy are quick to join him on his way to the boneyard, despite the fact that the woman with the strange shadow was still a little bit suspicious in his eyes. His good mood is quickly broken, however, as he realizes this trot to the cemetery is turning more into a trek. Not what he had had in mind right now. And when they find themselves essentially standing in a swamp that just does it for him. 'Who chooses to burry their dead in the swamp?'

There are discrepancies in this town's story in so far as what their little group knows about the beast is concerned. Even Hrani caught that before he stopped listening and wandered off. Maybe there were more later on. Fortunately, other people were listening for him. He'll ask them to bring him up to speed later. For the time being, the investigation of the boneyard takes precedence.

Of course, the magus knows that Pike and probably several of the others are better suited to examining things for evidence. But an extra set of eyes can never hurt. Especially since it is the only set of eyes he trusts one hundred percent to actually pass all the relevant information on to him. And that was without taking into account the unknown factor that is the two new traveling companions, one of which had been silent for quite some time. And besides, his eyes might not be the best in the group, but nothing forces Hrani to play by the rules. And by cheating he might be able to detect something all of the others would have missed. So, mumbling an Casting Detect Magicincantation under his breath, Hrani begins walking around,
Dice Perception:
1d20+5 (14)+5 Total = 19
Dice Survival (aid another for someone else, if allowed):
1d20 3
keeping his eyes and all other senses open.

When he is satisfied he has seen all there is to see, he heads over to the stone wall where Mara has made herself comfortable. It would seem like she would be more at home in this environment than the rest of them, but the elf doesn't dare mention that fact to her. She had already suffered enough at the hand of Goff's saliva covered hand. Swinging himself up onto a sturdy section of the wall next to her - but ensuring to give both her the space he has come to learn she likes to have and himself the space to swing a blade or cast a spell - he looks out over the boneyard while the others still glance around. "So, did Goff have anything more of interest to say? Any more discrepancies between these peoples' stories and what the Sullie we know seems like? I figured I'd leave you alone to work your charm earlier, lest I open my mouth and say something to offend the poor man and cause him to shut down to you..."

OoCAssuming Mara tells Hrani about the specific of the woman's odd behavior, I figured I'd toss out all the knowledge checks I've got as to whether that sounds like any shapeshifting, bodypossessing or similar creature that Hrani has ever heard of:

 
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 27720
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 6,858
Mara carefully tucks her dress in around her legs as Hrani approaches, then flashes him a distracted smile that melts into genuine warmth. The elf is definitely growing in her esteem. His gentlemanly care in granting her space and privacy, even within the carriage, as much as he could; the noticeable discomfort (or is it disdain?) he shares for the smoking cigars that must insult his arctic heritage; the way his hand darted instantly to the hilt of his blade, at even the smallest unexpected movements from the front of the carriage, to protect her from harm—yes, the magus is definitely the closest person she has to a friend these days.

“I seriously doubt that you would have offended Goff. No, that would be Carlo's job.” Her smile widens. “He talked about his wife Vivien—one of the witnesses for the trial—and how they came to be summoned ...” On she goes, happy for the distraction, relating everything from their conversation. Finally she reaches the topic of Portea; her cadence hesitates and slows.

“Pike mentioned the possibility of a doppelganger, as if Portea had been replaced by some sort of shapechanger. I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense, given Goff's description. Still, the timing is an odd coincidence—it makes me think that there must be some sort of connection with Sulliviani.” She frowns. “Or rather, the Beast, I suppose we could call it, since it seems as if Runa and Pike are right: whatever is responsible for the happenings here, it is unlikely to be our Sulliviani. There is some other creature responsible, an imitator ...” her eyes widen in sudden realization as she looks directly at Hrani, “... a doppelganger.”

 
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:32 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 26226
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905

Runahildr Valkadottir

Listening to the conversation from her chosen spot, Runa frowned.

"A doppleganger? Don't think I've ever met one. But perhaps there is something to it - or something wearing the skin and hide of other people, gruesome as that thought may be. It isn't the first time someone mentioned that something in this Morast venture felt like it didn't fit into it's own skin. That wasn't Portea though, but the supposed Beast according to the testemonies back in the courthouse."

She pursed her lips as she dove into her mind's archive to filter out the tidbit of information.
"How did it go? ' Skin like ours, though stretched over his body' and 'skin too tight over his body, like it didn't fit'. I think that's what they stated. Sound familiar?"

__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 09-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 21871
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,159
"Well how would you know if you've ever met one?" Pike quips with a wry smile "But you are right, there has been mentions of his skin being off somehow which is why I mentioned something akin to a doppelganger to Mara when it could be any kind of shapeshifter really. Wearing the skin of others? Possible, but where would it have found a skin so like our Sully to wear then?" he leaves it at that while he keeps on searching the area, grateful that the others are giving him the space he needs by staying put and out of his way.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 26226
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905

Runahildr Valkadottir

"Well, actually, wouldn't that be... easier to pull off than mimicking an actual person?" Runa mused, though her brow furrowed and she made a wry face at the very thought. "Finding something monstrous to... wear... that looks like several different dead persons stitched together..." she let the sentence hang there while staring out over the Boneyard - a place that, conveniently, might hold several different dead persons one could stitch together.

__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Inem's Avatar
Inem Inem is offline
Bad Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-22-2019
RPXP: 22255
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Posts: 9,363
"Ah yes, Carlo is ever so good at that, you are right. But you would be surprised, I seem to have quite the talent myself. The ways of humans are so strange sometimes, so frequently I seem to say or do things that they find offensive. Well not just humans, really any one that isn't an elf. I am glad to see I have not offended you yet, at least..." Hrani gives Mara a genuine smile, and for once, for a moment, his thoughts are not filled by paranoia.

The moment does not last, however. Of course it doesn't. How could it, with talk of shapeshifters. What paranoid elf in his right mind wouldn't go crazy at the thought, especially with a blade whispering in his head. Shapeshifters? Creatures wearing someone else's skin? You do realize you were separated from everyone in Lepidstadt for quite some time, don't you? It could be any one of them at this point!" It is a disturbing thought that causes the magus to look around at the rest of his group. Which one of them could it be?

He considers voicing the possibility, but then another thought occurs to Hrani that makes him hold his tongue. HE was separated from the others, they were mostly together, to his knowledge. If he starts asking questions about whether anyone was ever separated from the rest of the group that suspicion will quickly fall on him. And rightfully so. Because those who could confirm he wasn't alone...Andrzej and Carlo...are both not here. And not the most reliable witnesses to begin with. No, this is not a can of worms Hrani wishes to open at this moment, the potential backlash for himself is much too high.

At least, looking around at the others, he doesn't see anyone who doesn't seem to fit into their skin. Small comfort. He will just have to keep a close eye on everyone. As always. "Runa is right. The description of the beast here does not actually match the prisoner back in town very well. To become just A beast, all such a shapeshifter or skin-wearer would have to do is look gruesome and disturbing...much simpler than impersonating an individual...which it sounds like he/she/it might also be capable of..." Again Hrani looks at everyone in the group in term, fighting hard to keep the paranoia off of his features.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 09-27-2017, 11:46 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 27720
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 6,858
Mara smiles back at the elf. After a quick, wary glance towards Signy and Fido, she leans closer and whispers “Do not worry, you are not the only one who finds used here as a generic term for all land dwellershumans strange. It takes a long time, but gradually you becomes accustomed to their ways.” As if demonstrating her accumulated experience, she winks at the magus—a gesture that is generally foreign to her kind.

As the discussion strays into what one would wear to impersonate a beast, the soprano frowns, her distaste evident. “I admit that that would explain why the graves were disturbed, but surely there must be a ... simpler" and less distasteful, she thinks, "method of disguising one's appearance?” Her brow furrows, suddenly struck by an idea.

Is it possible? Her fingers reach up, thoughtfully stroking her hair and the flower within. The only reason for her recently acquired magical hat is to protect her true identity, but it now occurs to her that the rationalization she had offered to Samovar and the others—namely, its use to effect quick changes in costume on stage—is, in fact, a perfectly reasonable use. She narrows her eyes, activate Hat of Disguiseconcentrating ...

... and an instant later, the singer disappears, replaced by a slender human with a pretty longish face, bright adventurous eyes, and long chestnut brown hair gathered into a bun, with a simple ebony pin holding her hair in place. She wears a prim and proper dress with a high collar and slightly puffed sleeves, an elegant look that belies a feisty spirit within. Hat of Disguise adds +10. Take 10 for a total of 28 on Disguise.Kendra Lorrimor has arrived.

She extends her arms, inspecting first one and then the other, turning her hands over as she examines her handiwork. While reaching into her purse for a mirror, she turns to the others.

“How do I look?” Kendra asks in Mara's voice. She peers at her reflection. “Perhaps it simply used magic to alter its appearance?”

Last edited by ekidnu; 09-28-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 10-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 52040
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,775
Heading down to the cemetery, it's hard not to already be somewhat freaked out by the location. These Morast folks are more folksy than their representatives or even Goff let on. A tiny, miserable island rises from the swamp, a tangle of trees covering its dour, reed-choked surface. Hundreds of fetishes hang from the trees—simple, roughly humanoid figures made of sticks and bound with twine. Larger fetishes are planted in the ground on various parts of the island, leaning drunkenly in the soft mud. A large nest built of sodden swamp wood sits high in the boughs of a trio of tangled trees on the northwest side of the isle. These strange faces were not initially visible as they headed towards the cemetery but become so when they finally left the hilly outcropping of land that the village of Morast was on.

Such strange fetishes!

The actual humid air here is not inviting, but the smell is almost worse. It varies in some places. On the northern side, the smell is almost unbearable, but on the south, it is altogether more pleasant, more verdant and clay-ish. There are forty graves in total, and a strange little build-up at the northern side that seems to detract from the otherwise failing attempt at symmetry in this cemetery.

It doesn't take long for the keen mind of Pike to start noticing things.

The symmetry is a failure on every level: the trees break up clumps, preventing them from really getting any sort of community plotting going on. When the water is up, this island would be completely surrounded by water, and right now it is not. That means that the water is likely based on weather and season, and right now, with the thick of winter still heavy in the hills, the waters remain. This time next week? It wouldn't surprise anyone here if the island itself is underwater. But the bridge, leading them over to the eastern would-be shore of the island, would be well above water. Overall, even with the small patches of trees and the fetishes and tombstones all about, the island can't be more than ninety feet across at its widest.
right-aligned image


The goes south first: the first curiosity therein. This was once a camp of some sort, devoid of anything remotely similar to a grave or at least one in tact. Time has not made it any easier to see to practiced eyes, though to Runa or Signy, it would not appear as such. Near the central fire is a wineskin, wine because that is its contents, untouched for ages but certainly fermented grape juice. Similarly there are some moldy trail rations, ruined by the ravages of winter when the frost was not yet fallen hard enough. With it is a strange vial, with only a little bit of green liquid in it that smells of carrots.

Beyond that, Hrani spots it first: the little basket that is neither little, nor a basket. His quick mind works out its contents rather quickly: a coracle, a wicker boat found across Avistan. There is dried blood on the bottom of the boat, of a strange kind and aged, but still visible. Flipping the boat over, the contents fall out rather readily, on the inside of the coracle there are even more stains visible, as if whoever was bleeding was within this. On the ground now sits an oar, a moldy leather travel bag with a damp outfit within it fit for an artisan of some sort, and something more vial entirely. He thought he was wrong at first, but then Hrani is quite certain: the remains of a Humanoid face, cut off and smiling too wildly to make anyone comfortable. From the look of it, it could be feminine, or it could simply be male. No one can be sure.

Stretching from the coracle is a rope that goes down into the water, which Runahildr and Signy pull up together. Larger than Signy and easily larger than Torsten himself, the bag at the other end of the rope has dried blood soaked into the fabric, in almost all parts of it, but within are rope, a stained gag, a rusted lantern, a trio of heavy knives, and a rusted shovel.

Moving onward, the prying eyes notice more as they go along. Pike notices that six graves have been disturbed in sum, most of them near the campsite. Strone about heading northward is a bag, lost in the overgrown post-winter grass that has almost obscured most graves. Pike alone notices this bag, picking up and going through it quickly. It is a fine pack, silver with amethyst handles, each one bearing the symbol of a raven. As to their purpose, further investigation is needed, but they don't have time to look at it that much.

Going further north, the others led by Hrani managed to find the strange hill-nest, and a nest it is indeed: up in the trees is what looks like a bird's nest, the parts of which were rejected falling to the ground in such a way as to make a strange near-hill on the ground below. The source of the smell is also apparent: in the nest above is a body, bloated and the weight of the nest starting to crack underneath it, visible primarily from its gaudy yellow and multicolored coat. The rot has been going on for some time, from the smell, but careful eyes also notice the assortment of forgotten tools at its disposal, ignored by the maker of the nest.

And what kind of creature makes a nest that large, and twenty feet off the ground?

Throughout, no magic is found, save for the green liquid, clearly some kind of alchemical component, and several devices held onto by the corpse in the nest.

But in their minds they think over the nature of what kind of shapeshifter might have to wear a mask to change its form. Obviously, most conclude, not a very good one. Several options come to mind. Doppelgangers, for one. But they don't seem like the type to require skin to do so: they shift easily, without such things. Other kinds of shapeshifters, mostly outsiders, change their forms, while otherworldly aberrations rarely can maintain a form for long, whereas this faux-Beast is able to maintain a coherent Horror form. No, Hrani realizes, the best option is a simple one: a fey called a skin stealer. He has only seen drawings of them, but realizing the similarities, they are uncanny: dark pink flesh drawn tightly across its emaciated body, this being resembles a gaunt human stripped of its skin, its pulsing muscles completely exposed. Turn that into a skin-wearing monstrosity hurt by a damnable caiman, and you might have yourself a true Beast of Lepidstadt, rather than the sad, mistreated Sully.

While they all think these things over, something rocks the trees and rattles their bones: a roar, coming from the woods north of the island.

Whatever maintains that nest is returning home to defend it.
 
__________________
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons | Rise of the Runelords
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 21871
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,159
For a city slicker such as himself, raised on the streets of Kerse in the kalistocracy of Druma this was as backwater of a place as he's ever seen. Odds are this is as backwater as it gets.

The camp is what first catches his interest, they make small chat as they shift through it's contents, Pike holding the vial up to the light to better glimpse at the liquid within before he takes a whiff "Huh, odd." he muses, trying to pinpoint if he knows anything about the smell "I left my kit back at the wagon." he mutters to himself, referring to his alchemy kit before moving on.
He notices many things as he moves around, some relevant to their mission, some not so much but with the assistance of his companions they are able to scrounge up items of some importance, most notably the boat and it's contents. He makes a face when he sees what lies within the bag, his hand reaching for the flask in his jacket which he quickly takes a swig from before offering it for a pass around "Not a doppelganger no, but a skin-wearer of some sort as Master Hrani offered." he sighs as he shifts through the contents, puzzles slowly clicking into place "Whoever did this had to work hard to ply this morbid trade."

He dusts his hands clean as they move on, finding more items of interest. Clues? Perhaps, he'd need to examine further "We'll need to look closer into these graves, see if something is missing." he says, eyes going to Runa and Signy, than back to the contents of the bag; the shovel, the bloody gag and the rope "Or if something has been added."

Then they see it; the nest and the corpse and before he's able to voice his opinion they hear the roar. Swiftly he backs up, placing himself behind the two warriors and Hrani, again his eyes settling on the largest of the three "Runa, plan?"

 
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:53 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-23-2019
RPXP: 10514
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,082
right-aligned image
It was amazing what a thorough search managed to bring to light. Signy looked at all the various things that were found at the makeshift camp. "You believe then, that this is - or was - the camp of the being that the villagers chased until the blood cayman got it?" And looking at everything left here, it seemed not unlikely that the cayman really finished that being off. Else why not come back for the items at some point during a dark night? "Aye, we should," she agreed with the suggestion to take a closer look at the graves.

When they noticed the nest, the first thing that came to Signy’s mind was a griffon. Followed closely by a harpy. Logic said that the former was more than unlikely and the second didn’t seem to fit the roar that seemed to shake the clearing not too long after. With practiced and deliberate motions the paladin strapped her shield to her arm and drew her hammer. She threw a glance around to see where everyone was. "We should definitely try not to stand in the open more than is unavoidable. Whatever built that can likely fly." Apart from that suggestion she was fine with leaving a more detailed plan to her fellow paladin, who knew most of the group and their capabilities.


 

Last edited by Blackfyre; 10-08-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 10-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 26226
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905

Runahildr Valkadottir

Runa nodded along to Pike's words. Their assumptions were quickly turning out to be more than that.

The roar pulls her out of her musings, and she turns to look in the direction it came from. The dwarven shieldmaiden's words made sense.
"Find cover. Behind the trees." She indicated the small corpse of woods that held the birdlike nest. "We draw it in and bring it down. Stay close to the nest - it'll need to close with us then to drive us away or risk us threatening its home and possibly its young. If we can ground it, we stand a better chance at dealing a solid blow to it."

Jogging to the tree that held the actual nest, Runa took up a position close to it with her polearm at the ready and uttered a word to sheathe the glaive in a sheen of electricity. Then she indicated for the others to get behind her and prepare.




 
__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.

Last edited by Thorsten; 10-08-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 10-08-2017, 11:10 AM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-24-2019
RPXP: 27720
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 6,858
Though Mara initially observes the investigation from afar, eventually she rejoins the others, dismissing her Kendra-inspired illusion in favor of her usual one. Moving in to take a closer look for herself, she wrinkles her nose at the findings. The discarded face is particularly disturbing, but strangely it does not bother her as much as one might expect. Perhaps the earlier discussion of skin-wearers had prepared her for this eventuality. Or perhaps the face pales in comparison to the horrors of Harrowstone. Or maybe a small, logical portion of her mind realizes that they are searching for clues to a murder mystery—multiple murders, in fact—and really, what does she expect them to find?

The sudden roar startles her. As best she can, she nods and follows Runa to the trees, lagging well behind the others with tiny steps that seem to be constrained by the tightness and length of her dress. As she passes under the first branches she cannot help but glance upwards at the body in the nest, wondering who it might belong to. Goff would probably know.

In preparation, the singer is about to retrieve her wand of healing when she has an idea. “Runa, your crossbow.” She points at the paladin's weapon and holds out her hand with a determined look upon her face. “We shall need it if it can fly. And do not worry, I've used one before,” she adds in an attempt to reassure the taller warrior--though she wonders if firing such a weapon underwater is really the same thing. “Besides, even if I miss, at least I will draw its attention.”

Taking the crossbow from the paladin, she nearly staggers under its unexpected weight. Indeed, it is heavier than the ones she fired in her youth, but the main difference is the lack of water's buoyancy to help support the weapon. With an embarrassed, forced smile, she steadies herself, then starts to carefully load a bolt into the firing mechanism.

 

Last edited by ekidnu; 10-08-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Runa agrees
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB