RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2015 > Carrion Crown
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #256  
Old 04-14-2018, 05:00 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 10864
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,119
right-aligned image
Signy grimaced as the undead girl managed to make it past her defenses and laid her hands on her. Not exactly what she had been hoping for, but it was really unrealistic to assume that hunting down several wraithspawn could happen without some negative consequences for oneself. The most important thing was that the creature had stopped running.

Despite the coldness running from her shoulder the paladin’s face showed a grim smile. "See? This is much better. No use running from the inevitable." She tried to maneuver around the girl to give both her and Runa a better angle of attack on the spawn before attacking with her hammer once again. The gods would be pleased if they persisted and sent each and every one of the wraithspawns to their eternal rest before then dealing with their creator.


 

Last edited by Blackfyre; 04-20-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:00 AM
goatmeal's Avatar
goatmeal goatmeal is offline
neighbor to the beast.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 11489
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Posts: 4,367
Carlo feels a sense of pride at Hrani’s words of confidence, as Mara asks about the rift he senses an instinctive opening to make his case.

“He has been different lately. Darker. There was something that happened with him and a seer that almost went sideways. There’s something mean inside of him that I’m not sure I want to see the light of.”


He turns away from Mara, the customary smirk on his face, fumbling with his deck. A tell? Perhaps. There is more that he doesn’t say. Not for another minute anyways.

“But the truth is, it’s just as much about me as it is about him. There are certain social…”
he glances to Mara while fumbling for the words “customs that I’ve never seen the point in. I’m sure you are well aware of this. And it’s not so much a Varisian thing. It’s my thing really. It’s about loyalty. Loyalty is a big deal for Andrzej, in spite of his swagger. I might have played off that to get in good graces again. But my ultimate loyalty is somewhere else. My ultimate loyalty is here,” he waves the deck of cards ever so slightly to indicate his meaning. “Even if that drove me into the arms of the only people Andrzej has really had problems with since we’ve been travelling together. For him I’m sure that hurt. And with the way things have been for him, I’m sure he could have used a friend.”

He waits another moment before continuing.

“So maybe I’m an ass for joining up with the Crooked Kin. But I’ve no regrets, for I’m a better person for it. A week ago I never would have told you all these thoughts.”
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-18-2019
RPXP: 26276
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905

Runahildr Valkadottir

Working in concert with the female dwarf, one striking high, the other aiming low, Runa stepped to the side and stabbed her glaive forward, aiming to end the ghostly apparition fast. The sun's constant descent towards added urgency to their task and it was clear that unless they managed to clear the houses of their haunts they would be up against not one wraith but several come sundown.

With each house they searched, each door kicked in, Rune felt herself sync more and more with Signy. The dwarf was still a stranger, but at least in this matter they had a very likeminded approach to matters, and that made working with her easy and efficient.

"Duck" she would offer to Signy, before bringing the blade around again. "Left," she would remark, before stepping to the dwarf's side and launching a fresh assault. No more words were needed, for it seems the wraith spawn only offered their own in an effort to rile up the two woman. If so, Runa would not rise to the bait.



 
__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.

Last edited by Thorsten; 04-21-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-17-2019
RPXP: 29267
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 7,031
As Carlo explains Andrzej’s recent darker behavior Mara nods along, as if in mutual support or sympathetic understanding. In reality she doesn’t understand Carlo’s reasoning at all—Andrzej has always been prone to shifting moods, swinging from light to dark with the ease of a pendulum, and they have known about his inner darkness ever since it was displayed against the Splatterman. The singer doesn’t see how the absent Varisian could be any darker than he has been in the past, and her nodding is merely an instinctive response.

“No Carlo,” Mara shakes her head with a not unkind smile, “you may be …” She hesitates, clearly reluctant to utter such a crude word. Then, with an imperceptible shrug and a mischievous twinkle in her eye, she finishes, her words crisp and light. “… an ass, as you say, but not because you’ve joined with the Crooked Kin. Andrzej is an adult, supposedly, and if he has not yet learned that his friends do not have to dislike the same people he dislikes … well, then he has some growing up to do.” Apparently satisfied by Carlo’s explanation, even if she doesn’t fully understand it, the songstress kindly offers the Varisian a way to run away from the problem. “If you fear a confrontation with your brethren, you could allow me to handle it. I’ll deal with Andrzej.”
__________________
Travel season: No posts during Aug 9-23, Sep 4-25, Oct 4-29, Nov 7-21.
Distorted Keep | Carrion Crown | Legacy of Fire | The Lost Coast
The Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 04-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Inem's Avatar
Inem Inem is offline
Bad Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 22426
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Posts: 9,392
Hrani isn't quite sure he agrees with Mara in her assessment of Carlo. Clearly they are both, or perhaps all three of them if you counted the Varisian himself, in agreement that the man is an ass. But the songstress seems to think Carlo joining up with the Crooked Kin is not realted to this, and the elf isn't sure he sees eye to eye. He doesn't understand the nuances of social interactions, but loyalty is a rather straightforward one. Mara might downgrade Andrzej's emotions to simple dislike, but in Hrani's eyes, the Varisian viewed the Crooked Kin, or at least some of them, as his enemies. And from that perspective, it was clear he would interpret Carlo's actions as betrayal.

You could agree or disagree with whether Andrzej was in the right to feel this strongly. But he felt that way, and Carlo had known it. He might have had his reasons. He might not regret anything about his decision. But that did not make him less of an ass for joining up under those circumstances.

Hrani keeps his words to himself though. He isn't sure he particularly cares how the Varisians feel to each other. And despite the fact that his previous words had sounded like an endorsement of Carlo, they had not been that. He didn't support one of the two men more than the other. He would support the one that wanted to make peace if one of them did and the other didn't. He just hadn't explicitely stated that his words counted vice versa for him taking Andrzej's side if he wanted to make peace and Carlo didn't. But from the elf's perspective, all this is a distraction. And the sooner it is burried or set aside, the sooner they can get back to their important business...
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 52490
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,862
NightfallRachel proves crafty, but not impervious to harm.

Signy does her best in this house, but cannot seem to find her footing. As Runahildr's glaive pierces the ectoplasmic membrane of the wraith spawn, she erupts into screams that sound throughout the remaining two houses and from the hills, but she remains. This should give Signy the opening she needs, but it does not: as Signy lunges, Rachel instead passes through her, doing her no harm but leaving her chilled. The wraith spawn wants revenge. And so, her claw-like hands barred, she pushes forward, into Runahildr's abdomen, releasing freezing shockwave like pouring ice Attack vs. Runahildr: Nat 20 (1 to confirm, not crit)
Damage: 1 damage plus 2 Con drain
on molten steel into her belly. Occupying the same space as Signy, it becomes difficult to hit the thing, and thus, Runa must regroup. Runa takes no chances, steps back, and decapitates the undead fiend with a burst of lightning. Her body dissolves, and outside, the remaining wraith howl.

Fido, near the door, whistles. "Wish I'd gotten to see the show before hand. She knows her way around that weapon, doesn't she?" He smiles to Pike, before they investigate. Rachel, despite being the oldest, still had the room of a child, and it remains untouched by anything but dust in this advanced abandonment. There is almost nothing else left in the house save furniture; whoever lived here, whatever their level of affluence, afforded themselves the ability to leave town with their possessions, while other parents did not. Or perhaps they could afford to pay someone else to do it.

They head out, debating for a half moment as to which house to investigate next, and ultimately time and geography dictates that Maarten must be last. It would be better to be further away from whatever that thing in the hills is when night falls, and thus, Karin, the outlier, is next.

Pike explains the outlier nature of her case. When giving the order of murders, the sisters list not Elssa last, but Karin: Karin died after Elssa, thus meaning she died after Sully, the Beast of Lepidstadt, was driven out. This seems an odd mistake for them to make if not true, and the consistency of the mistake, even in other court documents, seems to belie something more telling: a cover-up. Fido attempts to make sense of this mistake as best he can, but cannot quite overcome it.

Karin, a girl of twelve, lunges at them as they attempt to enter the home, which Signy and Runa had to tear down the door of, it being nailed shut in some vain attempt to keep people out, and Karin in. Signy cannot find her footing after that, but Runahildr, concentrating, is able to land two strikes before Karin can return the favor, causing her to dissolve into nothing.

That's when things get interesting.

Fido and Pike head upstairs to the bedrooms, finding almost everything in the home still. Karin's parents never had the chance to clear out. After her death, the villagers likely fled posthaste. Her room is easily marked, it is the one with the butterflies of the Dreamer hanging from the ceiling, little paper butterflies of blue and purple that bounce when touched, causing the wings to flutter. Made with skill, the two inspect the window. No sign of tampering; it locks from within; no sign of weight borne on the roof. Sully is not a small being, by any means; those shingles would have shown signs of wear and tear if he were on them. There are no claw marks, no signs of forced entry. The window is still locked tight. There is no sign that anyone has been here since Karin's death, nor the night before it.

A child died in this room, and there are no signs to prove it.

How could Sully have done that?

This is perhaps the most important piece of evidence from Hergstag: that Sully could not have killed the one child is reasonable doubt. That he had taken up enough occupancy to have a shanty shack is interesting but that could just have been circumstantial. Reasonable doubt is altogether more dangerous to the prosecution's case; not even indignant Fido can speak up to that.

But they have two more things to resolve: the wraiths themselves.

The sun is setting as they arrive at the shacks that can be called homes, one of which must belong to Maarten. In the lateness, he does not wait for them to enter his home: he manifests in the street. Maarten is young, no more than seven, with blond hair that curls around his shoulders and eyes like the pits of Hell. He attacks, and this time it is Runa who cannot quite find her footing. Signy delivers a flaming blow to the wraith spawn's midsection, and when he flails, she deftly dodges enough before delivering a blow at the same time as Runa. The two blows back to back are enough to split him in three, and his ashen remains never touch the ground, dissolving into the ether. With Maarten destroyed, the last of the wraith spawn are dealt with.

But from the howl from the hills, it is not the last creature. The wraith is angry, and with the fall of night, free.

Investigating the houses finds nothing of note, save a bear trap that demands their attention: another Humanoid leg sticks out of it, just at the door of Maarten's house. Within, there is nothing. it has been properly looted.

Now they must decide what to do... or where to seek shelter, if the Wraith comes for them.
Emerald SwanThe confusing orders ultimately sees Carlo getting his way, and the Dwarf takes them to Ledov's Chirurgery Merhants, where Hora informs them there is a seasonal auction tonight. A shipment of goods and wares from Druma recently arrived, and Ollo Klud, the auction house owner, is ready to make a killing tonight, seeing the festival as a sign of good business he's not willing to lose.

The way there is met with two conversations. The Dwarf and Hora keep to themselves, talking polite local pleasantries as old friends might before delving into personal questions; Mara, Carlo, and Hrani have other matters to attend to, namely the presence of Andrzej. It takes about twenty minutes moving through the twisting and turning roads of Lepidstadt before they arrive at the auction house, a tall building with three stories and bright lights within, illuminated by many candles and lanterns, all near the stone walls of the building. Quality work indeed. A roaring fire sits near the front, keeping the patrons warm. Gundagrin smiles at them as they dismount the cart. "I imagine I will see you three sooner rather than later. May justice prevail, and the Inheritor light your way." Hora offers only a curt nod, and the duo are off to some dinner.

They head inside, a bell ringing as they enter.

The place smells warmly of cinnamon and cedar, the front room not nearly as bright as the auction room floor, which is visible behind a curtain that is not nearly drawn back enough. A woman emerges quickly who matches the description Hora gave of her, and Carlo recognizes her immediately. The only difference is that she holds the emerald scarf, bearing the image of a swan, in her hand, quickly covering her neck with it; warm as it is, she does not need it, so she must have some other reason. "Welcome to Led—Oh, you again." She scoffs. "If you're looking for your friend, he just left out the back. Apparently doesn't understand the concept of 'I am working' enough to let me do my job, and got the flat side of my palm for it." From the disheveledness of her hair, they might have gotten farther along than professionalism might have allowed.

"So unless you're here to buy goods for anatomist's work, and you certainly look the the part," she notes looking over Mara and Hrani, adjusting her hair with a look of discontent, "I must ask you to depart. We're full tonight anyhow; we overestimated just how many people were in town for the trial." Better make their case quickly.
 
__________________
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 22371
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,290
left-aligned image

Pike watches as the two paladins lay the spirits to rest through violent means, each scream and howl they unleash piercing his heart a little bit more until it's encased in cold numbness.
He can only guess at how much pain they must be in, how much torment their souls must've had to endure all this time and who is he to deny that the village of Hergstag is indeed truly cursed by the gods when he has witnessed the horror that has befallen the children here.

"Yes, that she is. They both are, in fact and I only hope they can find solace in their faith after what they've been forced to go through here. No child should have to endure such torment, let us hope their blades will see them to their final rest." he speaks in low tones, meant only for Fido's ears. He truly does not envy the two women battling the wraiths.

Karin's room troubles him, not just for the fact that it proves Sully couldn't have committed these crimes but also for the fact the she was killed in the sanctity of her home without any clue pointing at how, much less why.

As night falls and the duo destroys the last of the child-wraiths the detective lights a cigar which quickly surrounds him in sweet smelling fumes, drawing deep on it he let's out a cloud of smoke with a deep sigh "How are you two holding up?" the question is aimed at Signy and Runa who had felt the touch of the wraiths. He reaches for a bottle at his belt and holds it out for either of them to take "Potion of Lesser RestorationIt's restorative, not sure exactly how but it might help." his attention is turned to the howling in the hills and the fact that night is upon them "Where do we fight it?"
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 PM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-17-2019
RPXP: 29267
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 7,031
While the paladins in Hergstag fight deadly wraiths with hammer and blade, Mara engages in her own struggle in Lepidstadt. Her weapons are more subtle and disarming, but no less fine: a comely visage, a dulcet tongue, and expressive aquamarine eyes that glitter indignantly at Vladka's rebuff. The singer readies her heaviest armor: a sweet, sweet smile.

“Thank you ever so much for your kind hospitality; no wonder your auction house is so full. And such an astute and perceptive mind—indeed, our presence is due to an interest in goods for anatomist's work. Is it too much to hope that you offer quality merchandise, and not the low-grade and illicit wares that plague so many so-called reputable establishments these days?” Her tone is as smooth and even as ever, but with a cool haughtiness meant to challenge and provoke. Having taken Kostel's measure, Mara sets aside her usual weapons of pleasant charm and delightful flattery. Instead she lures the woman into a trap, lined with Vladka's own pride and hostility. Like a warrior who allows her foe to impale himself upon her blade, the soprano turns the Varisian's own aggression against herself, implicitly conflating Ledov's Chirurgery Merchants with a fly-by-night operation dispensing low-grade, illicit wares.

“For example, I do not suppose that you have ever sold any surgical tools of this quality?” The soprano turns ever so slightly and gives the elf just a hint of a nod. “Hrani, if you please?” While the magus retrieves the tools found near Morast, the singer continues, her smile growing ever sweeter. “Such a beautiful scarf you have. But do you not find it uncomfortably warm? And what a shame, to hide what I am sure is the loveliest neck in all of Lepidstadt.” A disengaging feint, drawing attention to what must be a sore spot for the scarf-clad woman—and in an effort to avoid the topic, Vladka's focus would veer away, deftly steered by Mara to the tools now on display. The trap is set.

The songstress glances down at the finely crafted knives, her face beaming with manufactured approval. “Beautiful, aren't they? A pity that you don't sell such wares here.” After a meaningful pause, she adds, in a light airy afterthought, “And even if you did, it was probably to no one of any consequence. No one we've ever heard of.”

 
__________________
Travel season: No posts during Aug 9-23, Sep 4-25, Oct 4-29, Nov 7-21.
Distorted Keep | Carrion Crown | Legacy of Fire | The Lost Coast
The Art of the Two Paragraph Post

Last edited by ekidnu; 04-28-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 10864
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,119
right-aligned image
Despite the touch of the wraith earlier, Signy felt better once the final child was laid to rest. Their souls deserved to be at peace. And from the looks of it, the matter of the Beast could be on the way to be laid to rest as well. At least it appeared that what they were finding would cast doubt on what she herself had been told.

"That would be much appreciated," she let Pike know. Throwing a glance towards Runa, she tried to gauge how bad the other woman had been hit. "I guess from both of us? Wasn’t there a wand like it, too?" Unless the other paladin looked like much the worse off, she figured that should serve for both of them.

"You most certainly know how to wield that glaive, Runahildr." A somewhat understated compliment, for sure. The power that the other woman was able to put behind her blows was quite impressive. "It is a pity we did not have the opportunity to train fighting behind each other. Things are as they are, though. In that light, I would suggest waiting for the creature outside where we can properly bring our numbers to bear. It does seem angry enough not to wait for us to come to it anyway."


 
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 05-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-18-2019
RPXP: 26276
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905

Runahildr Valkadottir
Runa offered a quick nod of thanks at Signy's praise. "It was bitter work, but it needed to be done. I am glad we were able to work in unison to minimize the harm the spawn could do."

Shrugging her backpack off, the paladin rummaged around it for a bit before fishing out one of the wands handed to her by Mara. It looked strange in the tall warrior's gauntleted hand, but its effects were no less effective as she touched it, first to
Dice Lesser Restoration:
1d4 1
Dice And again:
1d4 1
Signy's wound and then
Dice Lesser Restoration:
1d4 1
Dice And again again:
1d4 4
her own.

"Agreed," Runa remarked. "We'll have a better chance if we fight it in the open. The fights against the Splatterman in Harrowstone taught us that much. The wraith seems tied to this place so there is nowhere for it to escape to. If we group up and face it as one we should be able to banish it for good."

__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.

Last edited by Thorsten; 05-01-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 05-01-2018, 11:57 PM
goatmeal's Avatar
goatmeal goatmeal is offline
neighbor to the beast.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 11489
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Posts: 4,367
It is easy for Carlo to imagine what his countryman had been doing with this merchant before they arrived. He can remember a time when he had been jealous of Andrzej’s ways with women. His own failings in this area had been a constant sore spot to him. His self-loathing over this had been as much responsible for his previous poor behavior as anything else had been. Perhaps Olga had been able to lure him into her clutches while all the others were wise enough to stay away because of this very self-loathing. But the truth of this self-loathing was as evil as anything inside of Olga, though perhaps not fused with the same mysticism she bore. His self-loathing boiled out onto those around him, especially those he desired but knew he could not have. There was a time when the knowledge of Andrzej being with a woman who would never be with him could have driven him to something terrible. He may have taken the reigns of this carriage and trampled her beneath the hooves of the horses in his self-loathing anger.

But somehow that had changed as he had bonded with the Crooked Kin. His friendship with Lydia had somehow helped him turn all of his toxic beliefs around. He didn’t have to be scared of Mara’s beauty anymore. Or any other woman’s for that matter. It had all been in his head, and the more he shared his actual feelings before they bubbled out in some violently anti-social manner, the less he seemed to feel those toxic things.

He let Mara do her thing. Somehow he realized that tearing her down wouldn’t accomplish anything. And there wasn’t anything about what she did that was worth making a joke about anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 05-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Inem's Avatar
Inem Inem is offline
Bad Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 22426
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Posts: 9,392
Hrani follows much the same strategy as Carlo does in their encounter with this rather unpleasant woman: Let Mara do her thing. He stands there, saying nothing, but doing his best to seem intelligent. Of course, that is very much the case, so he doesn't have to pretend, just make sure he isn't hiding it. But what he isn't, is a surgeon or an anatomist. And if he opens his mouth and gets into any details, that might become apparent. Instead, he remains the mysterious figure, retrieving the surgical tools at Mara's command. The songstress is approaching this differently than she usually would, and the Magus is enjoying watching her work, but he also wants to do his best not to spoil things. She hasn't actually claimed any of them is an anatomist, but surely the unpleasant woman would be wondering about it. Given her previous experience with Carlo, he is obviously not a suitable candidate. Which leaves Hrani and Mara, either of them potentially a surgeon, with the other the assistant. Is Mara the anatomist, and Hrani the bodyguard and mule that carries her things for her? Or is it the other way around, with Hrani the doctor and Mara the assistant who takes care of talking to those below him? For why else would the be interested in surgical tools, and have some of their own?

The more she wonders about it, the more off balance she will be. So the elf continuous to say nothing, but when requested to do so, retrieves the tools as elegantly as he can, the natural grace of his people assisting him in doing so. And his hands do look like they could be a surgeons. There are some callouses, indicating the hands are used regularly for work, but they are less pronounced on the elf than they would be on a human. How is the woman barring their way to know they are from swinging a sword and not from more delicate work? Especially when the slender elven hands, with Hrani's pale skin tone, look like that is exactly the kind of work they could be cut out for?

OoC
 
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 52490
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,862
Planning the Trap"Splatterman? I don't think you have that right. I know that name, the Splatterman. Wasn't he a serial killer in Caliphas half a century ago? Why, as a Human, you're scarcely old enough... Oh, but he did go to Harrowstone.... You've been to Harrowstone Prison? He was there? He must be ancient by now." The stream-of-consciousness from Fido such as it is, it seems to be beginning a storytime, regardless of what he has figured out. As they all move outside, the odd little fellow, previously oddly quiet, looks about.

"Plenty of room for your plan, but where will we spring the trap? We have all sorts of room, and might have some up on the hill if we wanted to bait it out, but before all that, we have to consider where we will be best served. For example, not here," Fido notes, indicating the pools of water around them. "I'm not setting foot in that nonsense." He points onward, to the foot of the hill. "That house, we didn't visit it, but we could wait for it near there. Or in the overgrown area out in front of it, where those three fields are. And yet, won't it be able to use that against us?" Putting his thumb between his teeth, he thinks aloud.

"The hill in the middle of town might work as well, but we'd need... Hm. And how do we get it to come to us? Do we need a light source? Not everyone will be able to see in the dark...." Lots of thoughts.

As the night continues to set, the howl from the hill grows louder, more wild, as if emerging from something, no longer encumbered by the light.

The Wraith is coming, and they need to move.
The Trap SetThe girl in the emerald scarf, put off by the appearance of Carlo in general but the whole of them, seems to imply that her encounter with Andrzej ended in anything but a mutual parting. Hrani is quick to begin assessing the situation, to better understand what he is dealing with and the mood of the girl. She is put off, not with them but with Andrzej, for making assumptions. For moving in on her as he did. But she took care of herself, anyway. That shouldn't surprise Hrani that much, but in their time at Ravengro, Andrzej didn't seem to be much of a womanizer. At least, not to him. Carlo, meanwhile, has a different impression. The two Varisians, speaking in private, had much to say about this or that. Andrzej has had quite the prolific history as a womanizer, something that did not come across in the wake of Lorrimor's death.

Yet here they are.

The honeyed language is heavy, and the woman quickly swayed, away from her frustration and into something akin to a friend. Perhaps something else put up a business face, Hrani realizes. The woman is not entirely unaware of what she is walking into, though, and the friendliness is, itself, a trap. "You will find only the finest here, and at the shops that attend our auctions, we can assure you. Our reputation is in their sales."

Though she attempts to try and speak several times beforehand, the mention of the scarf and what it must hide drives Vladka to silence, her face becoming something quite fierce. She is not in the habit of showing off such trysts, but she all but admitted to falling into one with Andrzej not moments ago. The trap was set, and she helped to lay it. Pulling on the scarf, she smiles weakly. "I find it uncommonly cold, especially in here."

When the goods are produced, Vladka smiles, as if she's played this game before. "Indeed, I recognize that very set. It was distinctive, I was fond of it. I had just begun work here for Auction Master Klud, and remember that that was an out-of-auction sale. The fellow was a local, with an unusual high hat and green-tinted reading glasses. I don't recall his name, but we kept the records all the same. Master Klud has the key to that, so you will need to get that from him. Shall I fetch him for you?" She doesn't need the excuse, and between items, she pulls Master Klud away. A stocky man with a round, bald head and tufts of fading flaxen hair above his ears, Klud is none too pleased at the group that has pulled him away.

"We are not in the business of giving away our customer's names at Ledov's, especially not to rabble that comes off the streets. Unless you are here to make a purchase, or return those to their proper owner, I fail to see what business you have here and suggest you take heart and leave before I call the town guards upon you." Behind him, Vladka regards Mara warmly. Quite. Warmly.
 
__________________
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 05-08-2018, 02:40 AM
ekidnu's Avatar
ekidnu ekidnu is offline
Nargle
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-17-2019
RPXP: 29267
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Posts: 7,031
Mara is pleasantly surprised by Vladka's willingness to assist in fetching the owner, but her hopes for an amicable resolution are dashed when Ollo Klud proves even less hospitable. Bristling at the stocky man's prickly demeanor, the soprano sniffs and looks down her nose at the shorter man. “Well, perhaps I should explain our business properly then. We are here as emissaries on behalf of the court. To avoid wasting your precious time, please allow me to be perfectly blunt. Simply put, these tools,” she pauses and glances about, a conspicuous display to emphasize the secrecy and delicacy of her next words, uttered in a low conspiratorial whisper, “are evidence in a murder investigation.” Her eyes flash triumphantly. “Is such a matter important enough to warrant your cooperation?”

The songstress takes a moment to examine her perfectly manicured nails, then continues. “Now then. You are of course free to call the town guards, but I doubt the ensuing fiasco would be to your benefit. I may not be an accomplished businessperson like yourself, but I cannot imagine that you would want your clientele to know that you have traded in weapons to a murder. Imagine: all of the long, hard work spent building your reputation, undone by a single moment of folly. It would be best to keep this matter quiet and discreet, do you not agree? For your sake—and the sake of your business—I would suggest that you
Dice Intimidate:
1d20+10 (15)+10 Total = 25
tell us everything you know about the person who purchased these tools. After all, it would be horrible if you were charged with ... oh, what is it called? Obstruction of justice?”
The singer glances at Hrani and Carlo for help—surely they are more familiar with the proper terminology than she is, whether by study or by direct experience. “Or is it aiding and abetting a murderer?” She shrugs lightly in a show of indifference. “I can never keep them straight.”
__________________
Travel season: No posts during Aug 9-23, Sep 4-25, Oct 4-29, Nov 7-21.
Distorted Keep | Carrion Crown | Legacy of Fire | The Lost Coast
The Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-22-2019
RPXP: 22371
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,290
"The Splatterman was incarcerated in Harrowstone but the prison was closed years ago after a riot among the prisoners produced a fire that claimed their lives. We had the unpleasant task of dealing with the hateful spirits of many of Ustalavs most vile criminals not too long ago, Splatterman included. I'll tell you all about it later, when I got a meal in my belly and good whiskey to go with the tale." Pike winks at Fido, trying to ease his own tension but the truth is he has no interest in fighting another spirit the like Hean Feramin and with darkness quickly engulfing them he dreads for the fight at hand.

Grabbing a vial from his belt he drink it's contents and the Cast: Shield on self.air shimmers in front of him for a moment then goes still again, next he loads his crossbow with one of the enchanted bolts while chewing on his cigar "Right, I'm as ready as I'll ever be."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB