Game Thread Symphony of the Night - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Memorial
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Hanz's Avatar
Hanz Hanz is offline
⛧Thaumaturge ⛧
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-12-2018
RPXP: 2115
Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz
Posts: 3,250
Symphony of the Night

Symphony of the Night
Through Time...
left-aligned image

Travelling through time is an experience I had never been able to convey in words. I was lost, gone adrift, as if drowning through space itself. It was a painful pleasure, and a saddening happy thought going through my head. I saw space and time twist and turn before me, like a god I split it apart and walked through it despite Its many attempts to break my spirit.

I held my amulet of Erastil dearly, for sentimental reasons it made me feel better as I crossed a valley of the Unknown, there was something strange about this experience, not to say that travelling in time would feel smooth and casual, but there was something odd, I had never anticipated.

The very fabric of the "Vortex" - as the brainiacs called it back home - was tearing apart, like a dress being torn, a big rift, a split in the fabric, was formed. With this split came a great force of vacuum, sucking in all material from the Vortex, and with only seconds to notice it, me and my fellow expeditioners were being sucked into the unknown, dropped off before we could reach our destination, into an unknown and unfamiliar place. It could be a whole different planet for all we know.

I looked up at the Night sky. All I could see are Four moons, all full, glowing down onto the dirt on which I stood. It was the Night.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 AM
Hanz's Avatar
Hanz Hanz is offline
⛧Thaumaturge ⛧
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-12-2018
RPXP: 2115
Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz
Posts: 3,250

left-aligned image


You awaken after being unconscious. You lie there in a Dark Valley, mist and fog cover the air, and droplets of snow fall softly on your body.

Taking a breath, you release a visible stream of cold air. A powerful cold sensation takes over as you begin to shiver in the middle of this snowy valley. Yet up ahead is a Gargantuan castle, piercing through the fog, with multiple towers emerging around it, you can't help but notice something eerie about it. However, it's your only alternative to freezing to death.

Your two assistants, Mikael and Angela stand up and walk towards the castle. It's obvious they've made up their mind. Angela looks back at the party "Something must have gone wrong with the experiment. We should head into that castle and find help."

Mikael turns back and continues "Yeah. Also, if we don't find a shelter soon enough we'll probably freeze to death. That place looks... relatively hospitable. We should head on to it."

It doesn't help the party that they can also hear howling coming from the forest. If they don't hurry up they could have both a wolf and a cold problem.

Last edited by Hanz; 01-02-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Draig Enaid's Avatar
Draig Enaid Draig Enaid is offline
Spirit of the Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2019
RPXP: 1511
Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid
Posts: 1,610
Sitting up, Hamish quickly takes stock of himself and his gear. So far nothing broken, either gear or bones, which was itself a good thing. Calling over to the assistants,

"Mikael, Angela, I think it best that whatever action we choose, we stick together as a group. With that ominous howling in the air, safety would be in numbers, I would think."

Standing up, Hamish brushes himself off and sets about checking the crossbow on his back and the feeds for his gauntlet.
__________________
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they’re out to get you, it means you think you matter. - Gilbran Quail

Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for war.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Cain's Avatar
Cain Cain is offline
Gnomish Steamboat Captain
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-04-2015
RPXP: 514
Cain Cain Cain Cain Cain Cain
Posts: 551
Over to the side of the gnome a young half elf lad was fussing over a much older woman as he helped her to her feet, much to her protest.

"Oh Galen calm down, I'm fine. I may be a bit on the gray side but I'm not bedridden yet!" She said, shooing away the hands of the young half elf. "More importantly do we have everything? Quills? Parchment? Spellbook and ink?"

"Yes lady Medea, your pack is fine and-" Galen began.

"No No, child, do YOU have everything? We were just flung far across the limits of the cosmos, and if I hear you've forgotten your handkerchief or some other silly thing then I'm not going to be your mother and go back to get it for you." She said, dusting off her cloak and gown. The boy Galen was assistant to the older wizard, a student of hers who showed enough promise, and little enough spine, that an experimental trip through time itself would be beneficial to his studies of cosmology as well as his courage.

"Oh...Yes Lady Medea, My equipment and I are just fine." He said, looking a little flushed through the cold. Medea pulled her cloak tighter and clacked her cane against the frozen ground.

"Excellent. And Medea will suffice. On this trip you are my student and assistant but with how long we'll be here titles like Lady and Professor won't serve any purpose other than to annoy. " She said, turning to the two assistants that had been sent to accompany them on their journey. "Wolves are of little concern, you two, but this cold is dreadful. I'm in agreement. Perhaps we'll find a an old hearth to light, or if this place isn't as abandoned as it looks then certainly a host more agreeable than this weather."

Galen shoulder their pack and stood beside Medea. Together one looked old enough to be a grandmother and the other her grandson.
__________________
"The only difference between a microwave transmission array and a maser is how STERNLY you are sending the message..."
-Aquinas, on jury rigging weapons to civilian spacecraft.

Last edited by Cain; 01-02-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Geldar's Avatar
Geldar Geldar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-21-2020
RPXP: 6091
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Posts: 5,002
Keep breathing. An instruction normally associated with the painfully obvious, but Majas had seen suffering in cold conditions due to lack of oxygen. In times of stress, it's amazing the elementary, instinctive things experienced adventurers forget to actually do.

Anyone need water? The ranger holds up his waterskin, in case a party member wants to help him or herself to his own inventory. Ok, time to stop offering up the obvious. These all know the proverbial drill.

The mission hasn't been so smooth from its very beginning. At the start of their journey, Majas had accidentally mistook Medea for a grandmotherly lay-person and not an adventurer at all. His questioning of Galen regarding his scholarly credentials, and how nice it was for his grandmother to see him off, was meant with little more than blank, awkward stares. Indeed, this was becoming an interesting undertaking.

Re-corking his waterskin, Majas continues on to the castle ahead. Hamish is right, safety in numbers and they must be prepared. Majas surveys his party as they go, wondering what the journey has in-store.

 

Last edited by Geldar; 01-02-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM
bherman1325's Avatar
bherman1325 bherman1325 is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-19-2014
RPXP: 32
bherman1325
Posts: 59
Malcolm rose from the cold ground, his hand to his forehead. Is that the landing we are to expect on the way home too? He asked dryly. He looked up at the night sky in amazement. I wonder what went wrong? Making sure his longsword was secure in the sheath and his buckler was strapped on tight, Malcolm held his crossbow loosely in his hands while he caught up with the group.

When you say something went wrong... Malcolm wasn't even sure what to ask. Everyone here seemed able bodied. But what could have gone wrong? Were they in the wrong time, the wrong place, the wrong dimension? Do we know where we are, or when we are? Malcolm stayed in the back of the group, trying his best to
Dice perception:
1d20+8 (11)+8 Total = 19
keep his eyes on his surroundings.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Draig Enaid's Avatar
Draig Enaid Draig Enaid is offline
Spirit of the Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2019
RPXP: 1511
Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid
Posts: 1,610
Turning to Malcolm as the rest of the group pulled themselves together,

"I think the issue here is, my good man, that we lack information to properly answer any of those questions. It certainly seemed like the ride was fairly smooth to start with, all things considered, but then I recall a sudden sense of falling. Much as if a rug had been pulled out from under my feet. With luck, we will be able to find the answers to when and where in that castle."


After noticing Malcolm checking out their surroundings, Hamish decides keeping Perception:
Dice Roll:
d20+11 (6)+11 Total = 17
his eyes open might not be a bad idea either.
__________________
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they’re out to get you, it means you think you matter. - Gilbran Quail

Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for war.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 PM
RainbowMagicPen's Avatar
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen is offline
Secretly Cephalopodal
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2019
RPXP: 1009
RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen RainbowMagicPen
Posts: 1,080
" Xsio riikair gul." Rundan swore in Draconic, the ancient tongue seemed fitting for how she felt at the moment. Going back in time was a fabulous idea and opened so many academic doors and so much potential. Time travel could go and shove slag where the earth would never find it again. She was a dwarf, she wanted her feet firmly on the ground, not… whatever that was. That was unnatural.

Slowly Danni drew herself up, brushed off the snow, and immediately checked her spellbook, when that was in order she checked her axe. Satisfied that the two most important things were in order she checked herself over for injuries, particularly straightening the braids of her sideburns before she looked to her colleagues. "Lose anyone?" A quick headcount showed otherwise. "Think this is cold do ya? Aint s’prised. Let’s get ‘ya inside then." Danni shrugged and sighed a little bit and shrugged, though if she were being entirely honest she was a bit cold herself. Inside didn’t sound so bad, and once they were inside she could get her bearings and they could figure out where they were.

Or when, as the case may be, she supposed.
__________________
Goes ding when there's stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Hanz's Avatar
Hanz Hanz is offline
⛧Thaumaturge ⛧
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-12-2018
RPXP: 2115
Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz
Posts: 3,250
left-aligned image

Approaching the gates of the Mansion, you realize just how big this place is. There are literally hundreds of these towers strewn in the perimeter, and atop the castle sits a great big clock tower, which signifies that the time is now 11:21 PM.

Finally, after a LONG walk down the winding path that leads to the castle doors, after being driven insane by the insermountable cold, Angela grabs the handle and knocks thrice, as it vibrates throughout the entire castle, courtyard, and bounces off the towers in perfect harmony.

Seconds later the enormous gate opens up on it's own, revealing an enormous hall, stairs in the middle lead up to the second floor, with a painting of what seems to be the lord of the castle, Wielding a Longsword in one hand, lodged upwards, while holding a necklace that bears an asymmetrical cross in the other.

right-aligned image
"Oh my, what a mansion! It's Enormous." Angela Exclaims, noting to the great size of the room. "Well, it looks like there's five ways to go, two rooms to the east, two to the west, and straight up. So where to?"

She then moves over up to the portrait and begins to examine it. "Hmm.. It looks like this place belongs to... Sir Alucard. Doesn't sound familiar to me." she then turns back to the party. "Anyway, this place is kinda creepy, but we can't go back outside even if we wanted to. However, maybe we can find some of the denizens of this castle? We should probably NOT split up, we'd probably just get lost in this huge elaborate castle."


The Castle itself feels very eerie and ominous, you can hear creaking, snapping, and several unfamiliar noises coming from different corners, it makes you feel slightly paranoid and endangered.

However, most of you would shake it off as simple paranoia and continue on, there are two doors to the east and two to the west. One of the eastern doors is blue, which is weird and different from the usual Mahagony Brown color. There is also a set of stairs that leads up to the 2nd floor, intersecting in the middle to display the portrait of Sir Alucard, and branching off into two stairs that lead to the same hall, this hall also splits into two paths, two doors to the east, and two to the west, one of the doors to the east, the one corresponding with the lower door is also blue, and the one next has faint crow noises coming from it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Geldar's Avatar
Geldar Geldar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-21-2020
RPXP: 6091
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Posts: 5,002
Majas immediately winces when Angela knocks on the door. Part of him would question the maiden’s reflexive decision of simply knocking on the door and announcing the party’s presence before he had a chance to survey their immediate surroundings. But in the poor girl’s defense, they’d been walking in darkness for a while, and it was getting rather cold outside.

Majas enters the great hall If it matters at this point, I’ll go somewhere near the front of the party on all “marches,” so as not to inadvertently pop an arrow into the back of someone’s head and all lol.along with his companions Well it looks like our host is pretty well-to-do. Or maybe, ‘was.’

He takes a moment to observe his surroundings, and wonders if he might recognize the name ‘Sir Alucard’ or the general architecture from any of his studies in school. Perhaps his mentor Anseron Aldwich referenced the apparent master-of-the-house once upon a time.
Dice Knowledge: History check:
1d20+11 (7)+11 Total = 18
Majas takes a moment and ponders this.

Medea, does any of this look familiar to you by chance? Knowing Medea to be somewhat of a history scholar herself, Majas @Cain, In addition to whatever I rolled in the preceding paragraph, if you want to burn an action to Aid-Another for me and beat a DC10, we can add +2 to whatever I just rolled - at our esteemed DM's discretion, of course. That’s completely up to you, and this skill-check may come up bear in the end anyway; so whatever you want to do there.draws near to her, walks alongside her observing the hall and solicits her advice on their surroundings as well.

 
__________________
Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Geldar; 01-03-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
bherman1325's Avatar
bherman1325 bherman1325 is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-19-2014
RPXP: 32
bherman1325
Posts: 59
Malcolm strolled into the main hall cautiously, his crossbow held tight. Sir Alucard? he said, repeating Angela. Something about this whole place was unsettling, though he couldn't put his finger on it. Malcolm closed his eyes as he
Dice knowledge: History:
1d20+7 (9)+7 Total = 16
strolled through his memory. What did he know about this Alucard figure, if anything?

Malcolm eyed the blue door. That passage has to stand out for a reason. What do you say we try that colored door first? It may lead us to the master's quarters... or at the very least anyone who can tell us where and when we are. Malcolm leaned against the wall near the door, waiting for the others to decide what to do and thinking on this Alucard figure.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Cain's Avatar
Cain Cain is offline
Gnomish Steamboat Captain
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-04-2015
RPXP: 514
Cain Cain Cain Cain Cain Cain
Posts: 551
As the massive door towering above the party swung open Medea shook her head. "Self opening doors on omnibus castles are usually not an exceptionally good sign." She remarked. And looking up at the massive painting of what was likely the lord of the castle the signs became even less beneficial to them.

"A man who commissions a painting that large must have an inflated opinion of himself. Or perhaps his sword was merely too small for his liking in life." She chuckled at the end of it. Galen stared at her blankly but the boy would learn in time. One didn't become a wizard without learning to read people.

She looked over the pale skin of the man in the painting, the long white hair, clearly the castle they were in currently was placed in the background. She pondered those two things. Sir Alucard.
Dice Knowledge: Nobility to know the identity of the lord in the painting:
1d20+11 (2)+11 Total = 13
An alabaster skinned lord
and a
Dice Knowledge: History to know this castle and it's history:
1d20+10 (20)+10 Total = 30
great ominous castle with dark stone and echoing halls that this lord seemed to inhabit.
. Their companion, Majas, the one who had mistaken Galen of all people for their cohort, had been asking for it and Medea pooled her knowledge with what the Ranger had already known. She called Galen over and
Dice Galen is rolling Knowledge History and Nobility to aid Medea. If he beats a DC 10 he gives Medea a +2 to the check.:
1d20+2 (19)+2 Total = 21
asked him the same questions, testing the boys knowledge.
Dice And now Galens Knowledge: History check to aid Medea:
1d20+2 (19)+2 Total = 21
Even if it was only a scrap of a legend it could be the key to knowing something

Mechanics
Galen rolls 21 on his Knowledge Nobility check
Medea rolls 13+2(from Galen)= 15 on Knowledge: Nobility
Medea rolls 30+2= 32 on Knowledge History to know about the castle.


(OOC: God Dammit the dice tag on Galens second roll was deformed and I had to fix it. So that's why it's saying "rolls where deleted from this post".)
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.
__________________
"The only difference between a microwave transmission array and a maser is how STERNLY you are sending the message..."
-Aquinas, on jury rigging weapons to civilian spacecraft.

Last edited by Cain; 01-04-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Hanz's Avatar
Hanz Hanz is offline
⛧Thaumaturge ⛧
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-12-2018
RPXP: 2115
Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz Hanz
Posts: 3,250
That's weird, you've never ever heard of a "Sir Alucard". Perhaps this is a strange country you've never been to? I mean, it doesn't seem unlikely that the JOURNEY spat you out in a completely random piece of Golarion. Either way, your mental search doesn't seem to bring up anything of note about any Sir Alucard. However, you're still daunted by the task of choosing your path. The castle itself also seems unknown, You've just never heard of anything like this.

Also, upon more heightened perception, you can make the following things out:

You can smell FOOD in the leftmost West room.
You can hear faint orchestral music from the rightmost east room (next to the blue door.)

Last edited by Hanz; 01-04-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Draig Enaid's Avatar
Draig Enaid Draig Enaid is offline
Spirit of the Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2019
RPXP: 1511
Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid Draig Enaid
Posts: 1,610
Hamish's keen gnomish sense quickly pick up the scents coming from the Western direction. Feeling his stomach growl, it had been a bit since breakfast, he followed his nose towards the appropriate door on the western side.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I can smell something cooking over here, and I'm feeling a might peckish. Would probably be best to introduce ourselves to the house staff, instead of inadverently barging in on the lord of the house."
__________________
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they’re out to get you, it means you think you matter. - Gilbran Quail

Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for war.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Cain's Avatar
Cain Cain is offline
Gnomish Steamboat Captain
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-04-2015
RPXP: 514
Cain Cain Cain Cain Cain Cain
Posts: 551
"Yes, Whoever he is, and whatever country we've landed ourselves in, I doubt uninvited guests are considered a welcome part of the culture." Medea nodded in Hamish's direction. "I cannot recall anything about a castle of this size and architecture, but the servants will know."

"And perhaps the dining hall would be warmer than this. Why is it kept so cold here?....Wouldn't the lord want the braziers lit?" Galen said. The young lad's knowledge as a student had also served inadequate to identify the great keep. "This place seems wrong...like it's inhabited but not exactly alive..." He couldn't imagine the amount of staff that must be kept for a castle of this size to function. And it seemed all to empty to truly seem occupied.
__________________
"The only difference between a microwave transmission array and a maser is how STERNLY you are sending the message..."
-Aquinas, on jury rigging weapons to civilian spacecraft.

Last edited by Cain; 01-05-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB