RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > The Library > Writing Prompts and Critiques
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM
to a different tune

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38222
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Zodiac Cycle Challenge

~Zodiac Cycle Challenge~

For those of you who just want writing prompts to work on your writing, you probably want the 100 Themes thread. A few people have already taken on that challenge, and I hope to see many more.

But me, I'm a novelist. If you ask me for a story that's less than 3000 words, I can write you an introduction, but nothing with a full plot line. My first response to the 100 themes challenge is just the introduction to a novel, at 2245 words. So what, pray tell, do the novelists do with writing prompts?

Well, they get suckered into something like this. I've posted the Greek zodiac below, in an order that I believe flows from one to the next. For this challenge, rather than creating thirteen individual pieces, I'd like to see thirteen pieces of one story. If you think a different order would work for you, go right ahead and try, just repost the order you intend to use as your thread starter. I'm not looking for mythology here, but rather segments to a story that have some relation to the zodiac. Maybe for 07. Libra (The Scales), rather than actually weighing something/someone, you would focus on a tough decision, trying to decide which is the better outcome. Each of these prompts has a myriad of associations; as long as you can come up with a way that the story section relates (and you can convey it to your readers), that's all you need.

Again, I'll recommend that anyone who wants to try this post their own threads with their name (e.g. Aethera's Zodiac Cycle) so you can keep track of them. While you don't need to work in order, necessarily, I'd suggest you work out an outline and post the pieces in order.

Double Trouble: The Greeks aren't the only ones with a zodiac cycle. Play with the order of another zodiac until it feels right.

Posting Guidelines
  • Thirteen short prose pieces should be written in order to match the prompts, creating a greater storyline throughout.
  • Please respect each others' writing. This includes not flaming/trolling, telling someone they did it "wrong", etc. Artistic license belongs to the creator.
  • Post your own thread with a repeat of this list for you to work on, and don't post in someone else's thread unless they say you may.
  • If you want comments, please say so. I would recommend doing so in each post, or at the top of your thread so people can see it easily.
  • Critique must be constructive. It is not okay to say a post was bad. It is fine to say a sentence ran on and you lost the story for a bit.
  • Plagarism is a crime. I recommend citing anything not created by you (such as a story set in someone else's game world).

Greek Zodiac Cycle00. Introduction
01. Aries (The Ram)
02. Tauros (The Bull)
03. Gemini (The Twins)
04. Cancer (The Crab)
05. Leo (The Lion)
06. Virgo (The Virgin)
07. Libra (The Scales)
08. Scorpio (The Scorpion)
09. Sagittarius (The Centaur Archer)
10. Capricorn (Sea-Goat)
11. Aquarius (The Water Bearer)
12. Pisces (Fishes)

Offering FeedbackIf a writer indicates that he/she would like to get feedback on their writing, please try to keep a few things in mind.
  • These are spur of the moment pieces. Don't expect Shakespeare.
  • The point of feedback is to help the author improve.
  • We all have different opinions of what is good or bad. Try to offer thoughts on where the story didn't work for you (got confused, got stuck, etc), rather than saying the story is bad.
  • Certain genres draw a certain audience. You don't need to be a fan to comment, but it never hurts to say "I don't know much about poetry/horror/romance, but..." Advice from those who aren't addicted to your genre is good, because it points out the weaknesses in your writing where fans might just make assumptions.
  • If you can't say anything nice, it is better to not say anything at all.

Participants Thus Far
Aethera
lukedk987

Last edited by Aethera; 03-01-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Closed Thread